=SDC= Q29: Find The Key To These Locks

Jerry Friedman

Aug 20, 2011, 6:59:30 PM8/20/11

John Holmes

Aug 21, 2011, 2:00:44 AM8/21/11
Jerry Friedman wrote:

Some thoughts in case it helps somebody else. Lots of -esses and a couple
of -stresses:

> Which is the odd one out, in terms of stress?
>
> http://alt-usage-english.org/sdc2011/whazzat1.png

Mistress of the robes (Duchess of Grafton).

> http://alt-usage-english.org/sdc2011/whazzat2.png

buttress roots?

> http://alt-usage-english.org/sdc2011/whazzat3.png

(no idea what this is about, some TV soap?)

> http://alt-usage-english.org/sdc2011/whazzat4.png

chess?

> http://alt-usage-english.org/sdc2011/whazzat5.png

Distress (flag inverted)

--
Regards
John

the Omrud

Aug 21, 2011, 3:36:01 AM8/21/11
On 21/08/2011 07:00, John Holmes wrote:
> Jerry Friedman wrote:
>
> Some thoughts in case it helps somebody else. Lots of -esses and a
> couple of -stresses:
>
>> Which is the odd one out, in terms of stress?
>>
>> http://alt-usage-english.org/sdc2011/whazzat1.png
>
> Mistress of the robes (Duchess of Grafton).
>>
>> http://alt-usage-english.org/sdc2011/whazzat2.png
>
> buttress roots?
>>
>> http://alt-usage-english.org/sdc2011/whazzat3.png
>
> (no idea what this is about, some TV soap?)

Glee. The characters are Rachel and Finn.

>> http://alt-usage-english.org/sdc2011/whazzat4.png
>
> chess?

Some sort of Endgame.

--
David

John Holmes

Aug 21, 2011, 5:10:20 AM8/21/11

Aha, the endgame is "fortress" - bishop and knight, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortress_(chess)

So maybe they are all -tresses = locks as in the slug line, except for
whatever that Glee thing is.

James Hogg

Aug 21, 2011, 6:55:39 AM8/21/11
John Holmes wrote:

>>> (no idea what this is about, some TV soap?)
>>
>> Glee. The characters are Rachel and Finn.

There was an episode entitled "Matress".

--
James

John Holmes

Aug 21, 2011, 7:16:39 AM8/21/11

So to sum up, we have:

> Which is the odd one out, in terms of stress?
>
> http://alt-usage-english.org/sdc2011/whazzat1.png

Mistress of the robes (Duchess of Grafton).

> http://alt-usage-english.org/sdc2011/whazzat2.png

buttress roots?

> http://alt-usage-english.org/sdc2011/whazzat3.png

Matress

> http://alt-usage-english.org/sdc2011/whazzat4.png

Fortress

> http://alt-usage-english.org/sdc2011/whazzat5.png

Distress (flag inverted)

So they would be all -tress words with first syllable stress in most
standard pronunciations except for the last one (Distress).
(although I'm sure there would be somebody around who would even give that
first syllable stress)

If that's it, are we allowed to carve up the prize between us?

James Hogg

Aug 21, 2011, 7:45:59 AM8/21/11
John Holmes wrote:
> James Hogg wrote:
>> John Holmes wrote:

>> There was an episode entitled "Matress".
>
> So to sum up, we have:
>> Which is the odd one out, in terms of stress?
>>
>> http://alt-usage-english.org/sdc2011/whazzat1.png
>
> Mistress of the robes (Duchess of Grafton).
>>
>> http://alt-usage-english.org/sdc2011/whazzat2.png
>
> buttress roots?
>>
>> http://alt-usage-english.org/sdc2011/whazzat3.png
>
> Matress
>>
>> http://alt-usage-english.org/sdc2011/whazzat4.png
>
> Fortress
>>
>> http://alt-usage-english.org/sdc2011/whazzat5.png
>
> Distress (flag inverted)

The painting is called "An American Ship in Distress."

> So they would be all -tress words with first syllable stress in most
> standard pronunciations except for the last one (Distress).
> (although I'm sure there would be somebody around who would even give
> that first syllable stress)
>
> If that's it, are we allowed to carve up the prize between us?

The panel divides the herd.

--
James

Vinny Burgoo

Aug 21, 2011, 7:45:36 AM8/21/11
In alt.usage.english, John Holmes wrote:
>James Hogg wrote:
>> John Holmes wrote:

>> There was an episode entitled "Matress".
>
>So to sum up, we have:
>> Which is the odd one out, in terms of stress?
>>
>> http://alt-usage-english.org/sdc2011/whazzat1.png
>
>Mistress of the robes (Duchess of Grafton).
>>
>> http://alt-usage-english.org/sdc2011/whazzat2.png
>
>buttress roots?
>>
>> http://alt-usage-english.org/sdc2011/whazzat3.png
>
>Matress
>>
>> http://alt-usage-english.org/sdc2011/whazzat4.png
>
>Fortress
>>
>> http://alt-usage-english.org/sdc2011/whazzat5.png
>
>Distress (flag inverted)
>

>So they would be all -tress words with first syllable stress in most
>standard pronunciations except for the last one (Distress).

Thank you!

>(although I'm sure there would be somebody around who would even give
>that first syllable stress)
>
>If that's it, are we allowed to carve up the prize between us?

Suggestion noted.

--
VB
T. O. Panellist

Jerry Friedman

Aug 21, 2011, 10:11:57 AM8/21/11
On Aug 21, 5:16 am, "John Holmes" <s...@sig.instead> wrote:

[correct answers]

> If that's it, are we allowed to carve up the prize between us?

You can butcher it before you roast it, or carve it afterwards.

Jerry Friedman

Aug 23, 2011, 12:19:27 AM8/23/11

While admiring David's and James's teamwork, I think John got the
important parts of this, so I'm awarding him the whole Cormo, which is
neither stressed nor distressed.

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. Sheeparbitrator