=SDC= Q19: Follow The Directions

1 view

Vinny Burgoo

Aug 19, 2011, 6:39:05 AM8/19/11
A cryptic crossword clue has two parts, one using wordplay and one
straight. Here are four clues that are only the wordplay part, no
straight part. As in some cryptic crosswords, the number of words and
letters per word in the answer to each clue is listed after the clue:
(1,7) means there are two words, of which the first has one letter and
the second seven. The answers to these clues, which you must find, are
themselves clues (not cryptic, just standard American crossword clues,
though the fourth is punny), to, in some order, "up", "down", "right",
and "left".

Back veep in naughty secret (11)

Reverence diminished by the sound of pain (5)

Six-pack? Maybe confused deacon with diver, principal instead of
athletic director (9)

About Mary: the army now abandoned to mouth words before forming film
titles (9,2,3,5)

--
VB

msh210

Aug 19, 2011, 2:14:42 PM8/19/11

Sheep will be awarded for the first correct answer to each of the four.

Mark Brader

Aug 19, 2011, 5:54:41 PM8/19/11
> Six-pack? Maybe confused deacon with diver, principal instead of
> athletic director (9)

ABS + DEACON (anagram) + D(iver) - A(thletic) = ABSCONDED = left.
--
Mark Brader | "Grammar am for people who can't think for *myself*.
Toronto | Understanded me?"

Jerry Friedman

Aug 19, 2011, 6:56:40 PM8/19/11
On Aug 19, 3:54 pm, m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote:
> > Six-pack? Maybe confused deacon with diver, principal instead of
> > athletic director (9)
>
> ABS + DEACON (anagram) + D(iver) - A(thletic) = ABSCONDED = left.

Thank you!

One down, three to go.

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. Panelist

James Hogg

Aug 21, 2011, 6:31:50 AM8/21/11
Vinny Burgoo wrote:
> A cryptic crossword clue has two parts, one using wordplay and one
> straight. Here are four clues that are only the wordplay part, no
> straight part. As in some cryptic crosswords, the number of words and
> letters per word in the answer to each clue is listed after the clue:
> (1,7) means there are two words, of which the first has one letter and
> the second seven. The answers to these clues, which you must find, are
> themselves clues (not cryptic, just standard American crossword clues,
> though the fourth is punny), to, in some order, "up", "down", "right",
> and "left".
>
> Back veep in naughty secret (11)
>
> Reverence diminished by the sound of pain (5)

AWAKE = UP

AWE diminished plus the sound of ACHE

--
James

Vinny Burgoo

Aug 21, 2011, 6:41:09 AM8/21/11

Thank you!

--
VB
T. O. Panellist

Vinny Burgoo

Aug 23, 2011, 4:10:35 PM8/23/11
In alt.usage.english, Vinny Burgoo wrote:
>A cryptic crossword clue has two parts, one using wordplay and one
>straight. Here are four clues that are only the wordplay part, no
>straight part. As in some cryptic crosswords, the number of words and
>letters per word in the answer to each clue is listed after the clue:
>(1,7) means there are two words, of which the first has one letter and
>the second seven. The answers to these clues, which you must find, are
>themselves clues (not cryptic, just standard American crossword clues,
>though the fourth is punny), to, in some order, "up", "down", "right",
>and "left".
>
>Back veep in naughty secret (11)

Not a current veep.

>Reverence diminished by the sound of pain (5)

Done.

>Six-pack? Maybe confused deacon with diver, principal instead of
>athletic director (9)

Done.

--
VB
T. O. Panellist.

franzi

Aug 23, 2011, 6:36:36 PM8/23/11
Vinny Burgoo <hlu...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote

>In alt.usage.english, Vinny Burgoo wrote:
>>A cryptic crossword clue has two parts, one using wordplay and one
>>straight. Here are four clues that are only the wordplay part, no
>>straight part. As in some cryptic crosswords, the number of words and
>>letters per word in the answer to each clue is listed after the clue:
>>(1,7) means there are two words, of which the first has one letter and
>>the second seven. The answers to these clues, which you must find,
>>are themselves clues (not cryptic, just standard American crossword
>>clues, though the fourth is punny), to, in some order, "up", "down",
>>"right", and "left".
>>
>>Back veep in naughty secret (11)
>
>Not a current veep.

It's true I couldn't get inedibility to fit.

But prerogative is a right. Gore returns in private upset.
--
franzi

Jerry Friedman

Aug 23, 2011, 6:57:29 PM8/23/11
On Aug 23, 4:36 pm, franzi <et.in.arcadia.fra...@googlemail.com>
wrote:

Thank you!

Mark Brader

Aug 24, 2011, 3:27:19 AM8/24/11
>>> Back veep in naughty secret (11)

> But prerogative is a right. Gore returns in private upset.

Arrgh, the dreaded indirect anagram!
--
Mark Brader "As penance, I suppose I should read the standard
Toronto again, but I've already lost as much hair as

James Hogg

Aug 24, 2011, 3:31:17 AM8/24/11
Mark Brader wrote:

>> But prerogative is a right. Gore returns in private upset.
>
> Arrgh, the dreaded indirect anagram!

...which had us looking for a veep with five letters, very naughty indeed.

--
James

msh210

Aug 28, 2011, 12:55:35 AM8/28/11
On Aug 19, Vinny Burgoo, TO Panelist, abed:

> A cryptic crossword clue has two parts, one using wordplay and one
> straight.  Here are four clues that are only the wordplay part, no
> straight part.  As in some cryptic crosswords, the number of words and
> letters per word in the answer to each clue is listed after the clue:
> (1,7) means there are two words, of which the first has one letter and
> the second seven.  The answers to these clues, which you must find, are
> themselves clues (not cryptic, just standard American crossword clues,
> though the fourth is punny), to, in some order, "up", "down", "right",
> and "left".
<snip>

> About Mary: the army now abandoned to mouth words before forming film
> titles (9,2,3,5)

Aargh. This was clued wrong, leaving out "there's". Sort of. The
Panel apologizes (though of course is always Totally Officially
correct, which means that someone else was wrong, 13 years ago).

Michael Hamm
TO Rectifier-Hinter

Jeffrey Turner

Sep 1, 2011, 1:06:56 AM9/1/11

Something in the Water.

msh210

Sep 1, 2011, 12:36:11 PM9/1/11
On Sep 1, Jeffrey Turner abed:

So close.... Just out of curiosity, how'd you get "water"?

Don't forget that this is supposed to be a punny clue for "down". And
that the competition is over, so you won't get any sheep for a correct
answer.

Michael Hamm
TO Panelist

Jeffrey Turner

Sep 1, 2011, 10:57:44 PM9/1/11

Water was a guess. I don't get the clue.

--Jeff

Jeffrey Turner

Sep 3, 2011, 12:45:48 AM9/3/11
On 9/1/2011 10:57 PM, Jeffrey Turner wrote:
> On 9/1/2011 12:36 PM, msh210 wrote:
>> On Sep 1, Jeffrey Turner abed:

>>> Something in the Water.
>>
>> So close.... Just out of curiosity, how'd you get "water"?
>>
>> Don't forget that this is supposed to be a punny clue for "down".

Something on the eider?

--Jeff