=SDC= Q10: And they're not in Oz either

Jerry Friedman

Aug 29, 2008, 11:17:55 AM8/29/08
SDC Q10: And they're not in Oz either

They're down under, not up over, and they've got four kinds of love.
Who are they and how do they do it (with details, please)?

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. Panelist

Grip

Aug 29, 2008, 7:13:53 PM8/29/08

Crowded House.

CDB

Aug 30, 2008, 1:17:29 PM8/30/08
Jerry Friedman wrote:
> SDC Q10: And they're not in Oz either
>
> They're down under, not up over, and they've got four kinds of love.
> Who are they and how do they do it (with details, please)?

Lang got on well with them. That might jog a memory loose, but I
don't think it's googlable.

Cora Fuchs

Aug 30, 2008, 9:57:37 PM8/30/08
On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 08:17:55 -0700 (PDT), Jerry Friedman
<je...@totally-official.com> wrote:

>SDC Q10: And they're not in Oz either
>
>They're down under, not up over, and they've got four kinds of love.
>Who are they and how do they do it (with details, please)?

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Andorian

"In noncanonical novels by Pocket Books, Andorians have the four sexes
zhen, shen, chan, and thaan. In function and appearance, zhens and
shens are largely female, and chans and thaans approximate males, with
shens and chans the more androgynous of the pairings. in the
postfinale novels of Deep Space Nine this quadrigender paradigm is
cited as the reason for Andorian difficulty in maintaining adequate
population growth in the face of near extinction."

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Station/1558/Relaunch.html

"Like all Andorians, Shar has been raised to 'live for the whole' and
is expected to undergo the shelthreth ceremony with three Andorian
partners: Anichent, Dizhei and Thriss. [Gateways: Demons of Air and
Darkness (Pocket, 2001) by Keith RA DeCandido.]"

More detail than that I am not willing to find out.

CDB

Sep 1, 2008, 2:23:58 PM9/1/08

Cora Fuchs

Sep 1, 2008, 3:59:02 PM9/1/08
On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 14:23:58 -0400, "CDB" <belle...@sympatico.ca>
wrote:

>Cora Fuchs wrote:

>> More detail than that I am not willing to find out.
>
>Sometimes love is just love.

Well, yes, but this is the SDC, where it often pays to explore beyond
the obvious.

Four kinds of love that's "just" (well, three of them) love could be
Agape, Eros, Philios, and Storge, which would mean "they" are the
Greeks, but that's too obvious, and I don't know how to relate that to
the other clues anyway.

CDB

Sep 1, 2008, 8:06:49 PM9/1/08
CDB wrote:
> Cora Fuchs wrote:
>> On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 08:17:55 -0700 (PDT), Jerry Friedman
>> <je...@totally-official.com> wrote:
>
>>> SDC Q10: And they're not in Oz either
>
>>> They're down under, not up over, and they've got four kinds of
>>> love. Who are they and how do they do it (with details, please)?

>> [love among the Andorians]

> Sometimes love is just love.

Taking another tack entirely, Sr Valparaiso would recognise the name
of their country, but would probably look for it in the wrong
direction.

Liz

Sep 10, 2008, 12:28:10 PM9/10/08
"Jerry Friedman" wrote:

> SDC Q10: And they're not in Oz either
>
> They're down under, not up over, and they've got four kinds of love.
> Who are they and how do they do it (with details, please)?

I do it for your love: love-all (0-0), fifteen-love (15-0),
thirty-love (30-0), and forty-love (40-0).

In tennis, 'love' means a score of zero.
This usage apparently comes from the phrase 'play for love':
for the love of the game, not for money.

--
My totally unofficial guess

the Omrud

Sep 10, 2008, 12:30:04 PM9/10/08

Hmmm.

> --
> My totally unofficial guess

Nobody knows for sure. One suggestion is that it's from the French
l'oeuf, being an egg, shaped like a zero.

--
David

CDB

Sep 10, 2008, 1:00:30 PM9/10/08

He'd be right about it's being entirely surrounded by water, though.

R H Draney

Sep 10, 2008, 1:43:42 PM9/10/08
the Omrud filted:

>Liz wrote:
>>
>> In tennis, 'love' means a score of zero.
>> This usage apparently comes from the phrase 'play for love':
>> for the love of the game, not for money.
>
>Nobody knows for sure. One suggestion is that it's from the French
>l'oeuf, being an egg, shaped like a zero.

You know what they say about half a l'oeuf....r

--
Evelyn Wood just looks at the pictures.

the Omrud

Sep 10, 2008, 1:51:17 PM9/10/08
R H Draney wrote:
> the Omrud filted:
>> Liz wrote:
>>> In tennis, 'love' means a score of zero.
>>> This usage apparently comes from the phrase 'play for love':
>>> for the love of the game, not for money.
>> Nobody knows for sure. One suggestion is that it's from the French
>> l'oeuf, being an egg, shaped like a zero.
>
> You know what they say about half a l'oeuf....r

No; what do they say?

Why does a Frenchman never have two eggs for breakfast?

--
David

Cora Fuchs

Sep 10, 2008, 2:48:46 PM9/10/08

Because one egg is un oeuf!

R H Draney

Sep 10, 2008, 3:00:56 PM9/10/08
Cora Fuchs filted:

Old World War One cartoon from Punch Magazine. Scots soldier on leave, family
clustered around.
Soldier: French? Och, 'tis a verra simple language. If you want an egg, you say
"Oof".
Family: And if you want two eggs?
Soldier: You say "twa oof" and the silly old fule gi's ye three, and you gi' her
one back. Och, 'tis a verra simple language.

Cora Fuchs

Sep 10, 2008, 3:25:21 PM9/10/08
On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 08:17:55 -0700 (PDT), Jerry Friedman
<je...@totally-official.com> wrote:

>SDC Q10: And they're not in Oz either
>
>They're down under, not up over, and they've got four kinds of love.
>Who are they and how do they do it (with details, please)?

I hope that the place is Amsterdam Island, where La Grande Marmite is
located, only because it's so very appropriate for AUE. The answer to
the question still eludes me.\

James Silverton

Sep 10, 2008, 3:37:48 PM9/10/08
"Cora Fuchs" <cor...@katamail.com> wrote in message

According to my French dictionary, une marmite is a kettle, pot or heavy
military shell

--
James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Paul Wolff

Sep 10, 2008, 5:23:57 PM9/10/08
CDB <belle...@sympatico.ca> wrote
I can glue hints together to get back to another question, and I was for
a while attracted by crocs. Not as in Bonny Dundee, so there's an Oz
tie-in. Yet the amor aspect continues to elude me. (Yes, sad, I know.)
--
Paul

the Omrud

Sep 10, 2008, 5:46:36 PM9/10/08

It's a cauldron, like the thing the witches in Macbeth stand around.
Bubble, bubble, etc.

--
David

Bogosity

Sep 11, 2008, 6:38:19 AM9/11/08

I heard that it came from French playing,
and a Briton corrupted "l'oeuf" into "luv".
_______
Q: How does a blone like her eggs in the morning?
A: Fertilized.

Maria C.

Sep 11, 2008, 10:09:58 AM9/11/08
Bogosity wrote, in part:

> Q: How does a blone like her eggs in the morning?
> A: Fertilized.

What about reheads?

--
Maria C.

CDB

Sep 11, 2008, 3:52:55 PM9/11/08

These people have, or rather haven't, only one thing in common with
those Munchkins, Gillikins, Winkies, and Quadlings, and love has
nothing to do with it..

Mix it up: we'll be off the rails, soon. (5)

Paul Wolff

Sep 11, 2008, 5:46:35 PM9/11/08
CDB <belle...@sympatico.ca> wrote
It's been a long day. Invert Oz to Zombie.
--
Paul

CDB

Sep 11, 2008, 9:53:41 PM9/11/08

If no one solves it by the deadline, and I can demonstrate that the
clues were sufficient, do I get to keep the sheep? Don't have any,
this year...

Chuck Riggs

Sep 12, 2008, 6:12:32 AM9/12/08
On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 10:09:58 -0400, "Maria C." <non...@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

Renewed.
--

Regards,

Chuck Riggs
Near Dublin, Ireland

franzi

Sep 12, 2008, 3:07:39 PM9/12/08
> My totally unofficial guess

And dismissal for a zero score in cricket is a duck. And ducks have
down under. And the setter is a known duck-man.

All indications point to the duck people.
--
franzi