=SDC= Q28: Neither posh nor OK

Jerry Friedman

Sep 3, 2012, 12:29:32 AM9/3/12
This German word has a number of suggested etymologies, most of which
it itself must describe--they can't all be true. The most likely
etymology seems to be a calque from a French word that has been
borrowed into English in the same figurative sense (whose connection
to the literal sense is unclear). People have also suggested one of
those dubious etymologies from an initialism, in this case two
letters, referring to yet another language. What is the word and what
is at least one version of the initialism etymology?

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. Panelist

Vinny Burgoo

Sep 5, 2012, 7:25:38 PM9/5/12
Aku(e)fi. Derived from 'KF', 'Kentucky Fried'.

--
VB

Jerry Friedman

Sep 7, 2012, 3:20:59 PM9/7/12
The non-calque element of this word refers to the news.

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. hinter

Paul Wolff

Sep 10, 2012, 4:00:22 PM9/10/12
In message
<468524c1-08d8-4fd5...@kg10g2000pbc.googlegroups.com>,
Jerry Friedman <je...@totally-official.com> writes
>On Sep 2, 10:29 pm, Jerry Friedman <je...@totally-official.com> wrote:
>> This German word has a number of suggested etymologies, most of which
>> it itself must describe--they can't all be true.  The most likely
>> etymology seems to be a calque from a French word that has been
>> borrowed into English in the same figurative sense (whose connection
>> to the literal sense is unclear).  People have also suggested one of
>> those dubious etymologies from an initialism, in this case two
>> letters, referring to yet another language.  What is the word and what
>> is at least one version of the initialism etymology?

Fehler is an error and has no etymology offered in the German
Wiktionary, so I guess its origin may be disputed. If it's derived as a
translation via fehlen or Fehl, the French word could be manquer, to
fail (notice a similar sound?). That word has been borrowed into English
(sort of - at least it has influenced the English) as manky, meaning
defective. Why that's figurative, I don't know.

As to an initialism - it doesn't work, does it?

>The non-calque element of this word refers to the news.

Non-calque element? Composite word of some kind, then. News? Not manky,
then.

Unrichtig is another German word for incorrect, and die Nachrichten is
the news. The richt part is right. Nach-richten sets you right after you
have heard it. I don't think this is looking promising - I don't see
richtig as a calque from anything French.

Mon Dieu! (et mon droit).

I think I am expired from the competition round about now.
--
Paul

Jerry Friedman

Sep 12, 2012, 1:44:42 PM9/12/12
On Sep 7, 1:20 pm, Jerry Friedman <je...@totally-official.com> wrote:
> On Sep 2, 10:29 pm, Jerry Friedman <je...@totally-official.com> wrote:
>
> > ThisGermanword has a number of suggested etymologies, most of which
> > it itself must describe--they can't all be true.  The most likely
> > etymology seems to be a calque from a French word that has been
> > borrowed into English in the same figurative sense (whose connection
> > to the literal sense is unclear).  People have also suggested one of
> > those dubious etymologies from an initialism, in this case two
> > letters, referring to yet another language.  What is the word and what
> > is at least one version of the initialism etymology?
>
> The non-calque element of this word refers to the news.

Zeitungsente ("news duck", a false story), presumably from "canard",
but sometimes "Ente" is said to be from "NT" for "not true" or "non
testatum".

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. canarder

James Hogg

Sep 12, 2012, 1:51:13 PM9/12/12
Ah. Now I can sleep soundly tonight. Thanks.

--
James