=SDC= Q24: Not American

Jerry Friedman

Sep 2, 2012, 12:29:52 PM9/2/12
What was made up for some 119 years later?

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. Panelist

Guy Barry

Sep 2, 2012, 12:42:15 PM9/2/12

"Jerry Friedman" wrote in message

> What was made up for some 119 years later?

At first I thought it might be the omission of Berwick-upon-Tweed from the
Treaty of Paris, which ended the Crimean War. However I can rule that out
on three counts:

(1) the supposed gap was 110 years (1856 to 1966);
(2) the story appears to be an apocryphal one, since Berwick wasn't
mentioned explicitly in the declaration of war either;
(3) the subject line isn't relevant.

But it's a good story anyway.

--
Guy Barry

James Hogg

Sep 2, 2012, 2:56:37 PM9/2/12
Jerry Friedman wrote:
> What was made up for some 119 years later?

President Clinton awarded John Chestnut Whittaker a posthumous
commission as second lieutenant, 119 years after he ought to have
graduated from West Point.

--
James

Vinny Burgoo

Sep 2, 2012, 4:23:03 PM9/2/12
In alt.usage.english, Jerry Friedman wrote:

>What was made up for some 119 years later?

Malietoa Laupepa's Great Leap Backwards. Last year, Samoa threw away a
whole day to become less American. (How does that make you feel?)

--
VB

Jerry Friedman

Sep 2, 2012, 4:36:04 PM9/2/12
On Sep 2, 2:23 pm, Vinny Burgoo <hlu...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> In alt.usage.english, Jerry Friedman wrote:
>
> >What was made up for some 119 years later?
>
> Malietoa Laupepa's Great Leap Backwards. Last year, Samoa threw away a
> whole day to become less American.

Thank you!

> (How does that make you feel?)

I wish samoa countries would do it.