=SDC= Q22: Oh To Be In England!

Jerry Friedman

Sep 2, 2012, 12:28:09 PM9/2/12
Reinhold's old associate probably derives his name from a place where
the locals once had to conceal their alcohol in coffee so that they
could drink it under the eyes of the abstinence-preaching incumbent of
their parish. One day there was a mix-up when the only alcohol-free
cup
went to someone other than its intended recipient, and the man of God
was given a cup with rum. He was irate when he tasted it, and the
biblical name by which berated his naughty parishioners was then
applied
to the beverage. What was the name of this place before it split up?

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. Panelist

Harrison Hill

Sep 2, 2012, 2:12:50 PM9/2/12
Fabulous "on topic" wiki article on "rum" with the following:

"Following his victory at the Battle of Trafalgar, Horatio Nelson's
body was preserved in a cask of rum to allow transport back to
England. Upon arrival, however, the cask was opened and found to be
empty of rum. The pickled body was removed and, upon inspection, it
was discovered that the sailors had drilled a hole in the bottom of
the cask and drunk all the rum, in the process drinking Nelson's
blood. Thus, this tale serves as a basis for the term "Nelson's blood"
being used to describe rum. It also serves as the basis for the term
"tapping the admiral" being used to describe drinking the daily rum
ration."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rum

Vinny Burgoo

Sep 2, 2012, 3:56:48 PM9/2/12
Strand.

--
VB

Jerry Friedman

Sep 2, 2012, 4:00:24 PM9/2/12
Thank you, erudite one!

I feel there might be a request for the explanation.

Nordstrand is the origin of a locally famous alcoholic beverage, the
Pharisäer ("Pharisee"), which the islanders developed in 1872 to be
able
to drink alcohol in the presence of local pastor Georg Bleyer, who
preached abstinence. It is made from strong hot coffee, sugar, dark
rum
and whipped cream (to prevent the alcohol from evaporating, so that it
could not be smelled). The pastor got the only cup without rum, but
one
day the cups got mixed up. When he discovered the deceit he exclaimed
"Ihr Pharisäer!" ("You Pharisees!", connoting: "hypocrites"). Hence
the
name of the drink. A small village on the island is called England.

James Hogg

Sep 2, 2012, 4:30:57 PM9/2/12
Jerry Friedman wrote:
> On Sep 2, 1:56 pm, Vinny Burgoo <hlu...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> In alt.usage.english, Jerry Friedman wrote:
>>
>>> Reinhold's old associate probably derives his name from a place where
>>> the locals once had to conceal their alcohol in coffee so that they
>>> could drink it under the eyes of the abstinence-preaching incumbent of
>>> their parish. One day there was a mix-up when the only alcohol-free cup
>>> went to someone other than its intended recipient, and the man of God
>>> was given a cup with rum. He was irate when he tasted it, and the
>>> biblical name by which berated his naughty parishioners was then
>>> applied to the beverage. What was the name of this place before it split up?
>> Strand.
>
> Thank you, erudite one!
>
> I feel there might be a request for the explanation.
>
> Nordstrand is the origin of a locally famous alcoholic beverage, the
> Pharis�er ("Pharisee"), which the islanders developed in 1872 to be
> able
> to drink alcohol in the presence of local pastor Georg Bleyer, who
> preached abstinence. It is made from strong hot coffee, sugar, dark
> rum
> and whipped cream (to prevent the alcohol from evaporating, so that it
> could not be smelled). The pastor got the only cup without rum, but
> one
> day the cups got mixed up. When he discovered the deceit he exclaimed
> "Ihr Pharis�er!" ("You Pharisees!", connoting: "hypocrites"). Hence
> the
> name of the drink. A small village on the island is called England.

Pictures of the island and the restaurant Pharis�erhof where they still
serve the alcoholic coffee may be seen here:
http://www.campers-world.de/viewtopic.php?t=5700&sid=f50c8a649a30ed6e116505ce27506372

--
James

Frank S

Sep 2, 2012, 4:36:36 PM9/2/12

"Jerry Friedman" <je...@totally-official.com> wrote in message
Golan

--
Frank ess

Mike L

Sep 2, 2012, 6:49:30 PM9/2/12
Strand got broken up by a flood (tsunami?) into pieces including
Nordstrand, where the Pharisaical drink, known as, er, Pharisee, was
born.

--
Mike.

Peter Moylan

Sep 8, 2012, 3:20:35 AM9/8/12
I don't know the answer, but that story reminds me of something
involving a now-dead distant relative of mine.

There used to be an Australian non-alcoholic beer called "Six O'Clock
Lager". The name comes, I believe, from the fact that in those days the
pubs all had to close at 6 pm. Why anyone would want to drink
non-alcoholic beer is a mystery to me, but the stuff did find a market
for a while.

My cousin a couple of times removed had a wife who didn't approve of
alcoholic drinks. This man did like his tipple, so he used to buy
bottles of Six O'Clock Lager, pour out the contents, and refill the
bottles with real beer. According to my mother he got away with it for
years, and his wife never did find out.

--
Peter Moylan, Newcastle, NSW, Australia. http://www.pmoylan.org
For an e-mail address, see my web page.

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Sep 8, 2012, 12:16:34 PM9/8/12
On 2012-09-08 07:20:35 +0000, Peter Moylan said:

> On 03/09/12 02:28, Jerry Friedman wrote:
>> Reinhold's old associate probably derives his name from a place where
>> the locals once had to conceal their alcohol in coffee so that they
>> could drink it under the eyes of the abstinence-preaching incumbent of
>> their parish. One day there was a mix-up when the only alcohol-free
>> cup
>> went to someone other than its intended recipient, and the man of God
>> was given a cup with rum. He was irate when he tasted it, and the
>> biblical name by which berated his naughty parishioners was then
>> applied
>> to the beverage. What was the name of this place before it split up?
>
> I don't know the answer, but that story reminds me of something
> involving a now-dead distant relative of mine.
>
> There used to be an Australian non-alcoholic beer called "Six O'Clock
> Lager". The name comes, I believe, from the fact that in those days the
> pubs all had to close at 6 pm. Why anyone would want to drink
> non-alcoholic beer is a mystery to me, but the stuff did find a market
> for a while.

Non-alcoholic beer is a strange liquid. At first taste it's similar to
a not very good beer, but after that it's obvious that something more
serious the matter with it.