=SDC= Q22: Veni Vehicle Vidi

Jerry Friedman

Aug 19, 2011, 6:42:29 PM8/19/11
In which language are airports and hotels independently linked?

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. Panelist

Vinny Burgoo

Aug 20, 2011, 2:51:17 PM8/20/11
In alt.usage.english, Jerry Friedman wrote:
>In which language are airports and hotels independently linked?

Veni, vedi, vehicle.

--
VB
T. O. Panellist

Vinny Burgoo

Aug 20, 2011, 3:03:09 PM8/20/11
In alt.usage.english, Vinny Burgoo wrote:
>In alt.usage.english, Jerry Friedman wrote:
>>In which language are airports and hotels independently linked?
>
>Veni, vedi, vehicle.

Whoops!

Forget that. The Totally Official Clue is:

Veni, vidi, vehicle.

--
VB
T. O. Panillest

Liz

Aug 21, 2011, 3:05:49 AM8/21/11

"Vinny Burgoo" wrote:
> In alt.usage.english, Vinny Burgoo wrote:
>>In alt.usage.english, Jerry Friedman wrote:
>>>In which language are airports and hotels independently linked?
>>
>>Veni, vedi, vehicle.
>
> Whoops!
>
> Forget that. The Totally Official Clue is:
>
> Veni, vidi, vehicle.

In hotel shuttle bus language, of course.

Jerry Friedman

Aug 21, 2011, 10:48:27 AM8/21/11

Hm.

The Other Totally Official Clue is

Part of the name of the language comes from a word whose translation
into English has a hyponym that comes from the language we're looking
for.

--
Jerry Friedman, O. T. O. Cluer

Vinny Burgoo

Aug 22, 2011, 8:14:07 AM8/22/11
In alt.usage.english, Jerry Friedman wrote:
>On Aug 21, 1:05 am, "Liz" <l...@ithaca.nys> wrote:

>> > Whoops!
>>
>> > Forget that. The Totally Official Clue is:
>>
>> > Veni, vidi, vehicle.
>>
>> In hotel shuttle bus language, of course.
>
>Hm.
>
>The Other Totally Official Clue is
>
>Part of the name of the language comes from a word whose translation
>into English has a hyponym that comes from the language we're looking
>for.

During a wedding ceremony last year, the bride and groom were solemnly
informed in this language that they were pig-tailed chicken-lickers.

--
VB
T. O. Official

musika

Aug 22, 2011, 9:41:59 AM8/22/11
Vinny Burgoo wrote:
> In alt.usage.english, Jerry Friedman wrote:

>>> In hotel shuttle bus language, of course.
>>
>> Hm.
>>
>> The Other Totally Official Clue is
>>
>> Part of the name of the language comes from a word whose translation
>> into English has a hyponym that comes from the language we're looking
>> for.
>
> During a wedding ceremony last year, the bride and groom were solemnly
> informed in this language that they were pig-tailed chicken-lickers.

Maldivian

--
Ray
UK

msh210

Aug 22, 2011, 9:45:31 AM8/22/11
On Aug 22, musika abed:
> Maldivian

Thank you!

Michael Hamm
TO Panelist

msh210

Aug 22, 2011, 10:19:28 AM8/22/11
I abed:

> On Aug 22, musika abed:
> > Maldivian
>
> Thank you!

'Minivan' is Dhivehi/Maldivian for 'independent'.

Jerry Friedman, TO Panelist, had hinted:

> Part of the name of the language comes from a word whose translation
> into English has a hyponym that comes from the language we're looking
> for.

'Atoll' is from Maldivian, while the 'div' in 'Maldivian' and the
'dhiv' in 'Dhivehi' mean "island".

Michael Hamm
TO Explanator

James Hogg

Aug 22, 2011, 10:43:07 AM8/22/11

Obvious now that you say it...

--
James

Jerry Friedman

Aug 23, 2011, 12:26:46 AM8/23/11
On Aug 22, 7:45 am, msh210 <msh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 22, musika abed:
>
> > Maldivian
>
> Thank you!

Your Cormo is arriving independently in a minivan.

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. Sheepanator

musika

Aug 23, 2011, 6:00:37 AM8/23/11
Jerry Friedman wrote:
> On Aug 22, 7:45 am, msh210 <msh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Aug 22, musika abed:
>>
>>> Maldivian
>>
>> Thank you!
>
> Your Cormo is arriving independently in a minivan.

Shukriya.

--
Ray
UK

Liz

Aug 23, 2011, 10:01:35 AM8/23/11

Sounds gibberish to me. Despite the clever post editing from the panelist,
no one had made the 'minivan' connection before VB offer a lesbian wedding
prank
that practically give away the answer. So this is how high IQ societies
operates.
What a riot!

Vinny Burgoo

Aug 23, 2011, 2:57:46 PM8/23/11

Why lesbian? Is 'chicken-licker' slang for 'lesbian'?

Here's a report of the wedding in Minivan News:

<http://minivannews.com/society/resort-%E2%80%98wedding-ceremony%E2%80%99
-in-dhivehi-degrades-tourist-couple-as-infidel-swine-mocks-islam-12671>

--
VB

Liz

Aug 24, 2011, 9:18:33 AM8/24/11

"Vinny Burgoo" wrote:
> In alt.usage.english, Liz wrote:

>>> Obvious now that you say it...
>>
>>Sounds gibberish to me. Despite the clever post editing from the panelist,
>>no one had made the 'minivan' connection before VB offer a lesbian wedding
>>prank
>>that practically give away the answer. So this is how high IQ societies
>>operates.
>>What a riot!
>
> Why lesbian? Is 'chicken-licker' slang for 'lesbian'?

Good question, Urban think so, OED doesn't have a clue,
no idea what the panelists or didi thinks, he used motherfucking,
chickenass, and other gibberish. Saw the video version.

> Here's a report of the wedding in Minivan News:
> <http://minivannews.com/society/resort-%E2%80%98wedding-ceremony%E2%80%99
> -in-dhivehi-degrades-tourist-couple-as-infidel-swine-mocks-islam-12671>

The url is too long, doesn't work.

musika

Aug 24, 2011, 9:50:05 AM8/24/11

Just for you
http://tinyurl.com/3q3ubyp

--
Ray
UK

Liz

Aug 24, 2011, 12:33:20 PM8/24/11

I thought so. You're one of them.

Peter Moylan

Aug 24, 2011, 8:16:47 PM8/24/11

That's a cryptic comment that deserves expansion. "Them"? We have never
seen any hint that musika could be an Islamic lesbian, nor that he posts
from the Maldives.

--
Peter Moylan, Newcastle, NSW, Australia. http://www.pmoylan.org
For an e-mail address, see my web page.

Liz

Aug 25, 2011, 2:18:30 AM8/25/11

"Peter Moylan" wrote:
> Liz wrote:

>> "musika" wrote:
>>> Just for you
>>> http://tinyurl.com/3q3ubyp
>>
>> I thought so. You're one of them.
>
> That's a cryptic comment that deserves expansion. "Them"?

The high-IQ societies.

> We have never
> seen any hint that musika could be an Islamic lesbian, nor that he posts
> from the Maldives.

You're drunk, go to bed.

musika

Aug 25, 2011, 1:31:51 PM8/25/11
Peter Moylan wrote:
> Liz wrote:

>>> Just for you
>>> http://tinyurl.com/3q3ubyp
>>
>> I thought so. You're one of them.
>
> That's a cryptic comment that deserves expansion. "Them"? We have
> never seen any hint that musika could be an Islamic lesbian, nor that
> he posts from the Maldives.

That's what you get for being kind.

--
Ray
UK

Liz

Aug 26, 2011, 11:27:27 PM8/26/11

Just for you
http://redroom.com/member/michael-lipsey/books/i-thought-so-a-book-of-epigrams

I'm sorry for making you feel unappreciated. I've been tied up
with other works and since it's the Summer Doldrums Competition,
I didn't take Peter Moylan's McCarthyite seriously. The comment I
made on lesbian, was about an unfamiliar slang term used in one of the two
clues, but I didn't go into Islamic issue. Peter's statement was so
ridiculous I assumed he was horsing around. Guess I was wrong.

musika

Aug 27, 2011, 6:49:56 AM8/27/11

That's OK, Liz. I think we were all messing about.

--
Ray
UK

Liz