=SDC= Q18: Plus Ça Change...

Jerry Friedman

Sep 2, 2012, 12:06:44 AM9/2/12
One person with this name is known for his portrayal of an affair with
thinly disguised Miss L*nds*y, another (hyphenated) for his portrayal
of
scenes with thinly draped women (although Miss D*rv*z was no
odalisque),
but the one we want has a city named after him. It's only about
fifteen
miles from the city that is named after Miss Sm*th, at a place where
three countries meet.

State the full name of the man we are looking for.

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. Panelist

LFS

Sep 2, 2012, 5:01:28 AM9/2/12
Lawrence of Rome?
--
Laura (emulate St George for email)

Harrison Hill

Sep 2, 2012, 5:04:46 AM9/2/12
I researched "Lawrence" for the ridiculous reason that it was the only
name I could think of! We are in America presumably, because (London
and Westminster aside) cities elsewhere in the world are more than 15
miles apart.

Guy Barry

Sep 2, 2012, 5:30:02 AM9/2/12

"Harrison Hill" wrote in message

> We are in America presumably, because (London
> and Westminster aside) cities elsewhere in the world are more than 15
> miles apart.

What about Manchester and Salford? They have a common border.

I'm writing this in the city of Bath, which is about 13 miles from Bristol.
I'm sure there are other examples.

--
Guy Barry

Vinny Burgoo

Sep 2, 2012, 7:54:20 AM9/2/12
Benjamin Constant Botelho de Magalh�es.

--
VB

Jerry Friedman

Sep 2, 2012, 8:07:03 AM9/2/12
> Benjamin Constant Botelho de Magalhães.

Obrigado!

LFS

Sep 2, 2012, 9:12:37 AM9/2/12
>> Benjamin Constant Botelho de Magalh�es.
>
> Obrigado!
>
> --
> Jerry Friedman, T. O. Panelist

OK, now explain!

--
Laura
(emulate St. George for email)

Vinny Burgoo

Sep 2, 2012, 2:51:40 PM9/2/12
In alt.usage.english, LFS wrote:
>On 02/09/2012 13:07, Jerry Friedman wrote:

>>> Benjamin Constant Botelho de Magalh�es.
>>
>> Obrigado!
>
>OK, now explain!

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Constant_%28disambiguation%29>

You can call me erudite, if you like.

--
VB
Actually, I just googled with 'based on * affair * Lindsay'.

Jerry Friedman

Sep 2, 2012, 3:58:23 PM9/2/12
On Sep 2, 7:12 am, LFS <la...@DRAGONspira.fsbusiness.co.uk> wrote:
> On 02/09/2012 13:07, Jerry Friedman wrote:

> >> Benjamin Constant Botelho de Magalhães.
>
> > Obrigado!
>
> > --
> > Jerry Friedman, T. O. Panelist
>
> OK, now explain!

The T. O. explanation is:

Leticia is the other city.

The misses are Lindsay, Derviz and Smith.

You might also look at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Constant_(disambiguation)

(The hint, which wasn't necessary, is "If it is of any help, the name
of the man has some connection with the Battle of Mactan and an
ancient measure for corn that could be a masculine bottle." No, it is
not of any help.)

--
Jerry Friedman

Mike L

Sep 3, 2012, 5:04:47 PM9/3/12
On Sun, 2 Sep 2012 19:51:40 +0100, Vinny Burgoo <hlu...@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

>In alt.usage.english, LFS wrote:

>>> Obrigado!
>>
>>OK, now explain!
>
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Constant_%28disambiguation%29>

Oh. I was trying to get my head round discovering that the French
writer I was told to read, and didn't, had somehow turned Portuguese.

>You can call me erudite, if you like.
[...]
OK then, I will. You're erudite.