=SDC= Q36: Far Out!

1 view

Vinny Burgoo

Aug 21, 2011, 6:34:35 AM8/21/11
A mostly Swedish word has a mostly Chinese referent. Name the village.

--
VB
T. O. Panellist

John Holmes

Aug 21, 2011, 8:14:00 AM8/21/11
Vinny Burgoo wrote:
> A mostly Swedish word has a mostly Chinese referent. Name the village.

I don't know if it's the answer you are looking for, but there is a village
named K'o'ping that is far out in western China. I guess it could be "mostly
Chinese" with assorted other central Asians.

--
Regards
John

Liz

Aug 21, 2011, 12:59:20 PM8/21/11

"Vinny Burgoo" wrote:
>A mostly Swedish word has a mostly Chinese referent. Name the village.

I'm going to guess Drottningholm, located on the
island of Lovon in Lake Malaren.

At the far end of the Drottningholm Palace park,
you'll find a Chinese-inspired pavilion, Kina slott.

I have not yet had the pleasure of visiting both Sweden
and China. It's on my Someday Maybe list.

msh210

Aug 22, 2011, 7:25:59 PM8/22/11
On Aug 21, Vinny Burgoo abed:

> A mostly Swedish word has a mostly Chinese referent. Name the village.

Er...

Michael Hamm
TO Panelist

Vinny Burgoo

Aug 24, 2011, 10:50:46 AM8/24/11
In alt.usage.english, msh210 wrote:
>On Aug 21, Vinny Burgoo abed:
>> A mostly Swedish word has a mostly Chinese referent. Name the village.
>
>Er...

Why?

Vinny Burgoo

Aug 25, 2011, 8:36:21 AM8/25/11
In alt.usage.english, Vinny Burgoo wrote:
>In alt.usage.english, msh210 wrote:
>>On Aug 21, Vinny Burgoo abed:
>>> A mostly Swedish word has a mostly Chinese referent. Name the village.
>>
>>Er...
>
>Why?

A few years from now, it might have a mostly Bathypelagic referent.

--
VB
T. O. Urinator

Mike Lyle

Aug 25, 2011, 5:57:17 PM8/25/11
On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 13:36:21 +0100, Vinny Burgoo <hlu...@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

Climate change, sea-level rise? Or rapid coastal erosion? Not
Happisburgh, anyway.

--
Mike.

msh210

Aug 28, 2011, 12:46:11 AM8/28/11
On Aug 24, Vinny Burgoo, TO panelist, abed:

> In alt.usage.english, msh210 wrote:
> > On Aug 21, Vinny Burgoo abed:
> > > A mostly Swedish word has a mostly Chinese referent. Name the village.
> >
> >Er...
>
> Why?

TB.

Michael Hamm
TO Panelist

msh210

Sep 1, 2011, 12:40:20 PM9/1/11
On Aug 27, I abed:

> On Aug 24, Vinny Burgoo, TO panelist, abed:
> > In alt.usage.english, msh210 wrote:
> > > On Aug 21, Vinny Burgoo abed:
> > >
> > > Er...
> >
> > Why?
>
> TB.

And on Aug 31, in another thread, James Hogg abed:
> I wish I'd asked for another clue to question no. 36. That's another one
> that's been annoying me.

Has it? I'd have thought you'd be in your element here.

Michael Hamm
Totally Officially Blatant

the Omrud

Sep 1, 2011, 1:32:58 PM9/1/11

Dur. I am very, very stupid. Ytterby.

--
David

franzi

Sep 1, 2011, 1:43:06 PM9/1/11
msh210 <msh...@gmail.com> wrote

Ytterby, though I don't claim to understand the question. Rare earths
are mostly Chinese these days, they say.
--
franzi

msh210

Sep 2, 2011, 11:02:20 AM9/2/11
On Sep 1, franzi abed:

> > > TB.
> >
> > And on Aug 31, in another thread, James Hogg abed:
> > > I wish I'd asked for another clue to question no. 36. That's another one
> > > that's been annoying me.
> >
> > Has it?  I'd have thought you'd be in your element here.
> >
> >Michael Hamm
> >Totally Officially Blatant
>
> Ytterby, though I don't claim to understand the question. Rare earths
> are mostly Chinese these days, they say.

Precisely. The referent (the mineral) is Chinese, while the word
('ytterbium', as well as the others named after Ytterby) is mostly
Swedish.

The slug refers to the purported etymology of the name 'Ytterby'.

Michael Hamm
TO Panelist