=SDC= Q26: Way Out

Vinny Burgoo

Aug 20, 2011, 5:52:51 AM8/20/11
From your initial destination, head out northwest and go about 600
miles, then northeast and about 1200 miles, then southwest and about 900
miles, then west and about 200 miles, then south and about 500 miles.
What supplies the rhythm?

--
VB
T. O. Panellist

Peter Moylan

Aug 20, 2011, 9:50:57 AM8/20/11
I don't have the patience to do the spherical geometry, but for the
benefit of anyone else attempting this I'll note that
- the fact that the starting point is also the
destination has to be significant; and
- the numbers wouldn't add up in plane geometry, so all
this toing and froing has to be happening
moderately close to the South Pole.

--
Peter Moylan, Newcastle, NSW, Australia. http://www.pmoylan.org
For an e-mail address, see my web page.

CDB

Aug 20, 2011, 10:15:09 AM8/20/11
Peter Moylan wrote:
> Vinny Burgoo wrote:
>> From your initial destination, head out northwest and go about 600
>> miles, then northeast and about 1200 miles, then southwest and
>> about 900 miles, then west and about 200 miles, then south and
>> about 500 miles. What supplies the rhythm?
>>
> I don't have the patience to do the spherical geometry, but for the
> benefit of anyone else attempting this I'll note that
> - the fact that the starting point is also the
> destination has to be significant; and
> - the numbers wouldn't add up in plane geometry, so all
> this toing and froing has to be happening
> moderately close to the South Pole.

Happy Feet?

the Omrud

Aug 20, 2011, 1:57:02 PM8/20/11
On 20/08/2011 14:50, Peter Moylan wrote:
> Vinny Burgoo wrote:
>> From your initial destination, head out northwest and go about 600
>> miles, then northeast and about 1200 miles, then southwest and about 900
>> miles, then west and about 200 miles, then south and about 500 miles.
>> What supplies the rhythm?
>>
> I don't have the patience to do the spherical geometry, but for the
> benefit of anyone else attempting this I'll note that
> - the fact that the starting point is also the
> destination has to be significant; and
> - the numbers wouldn't add up in plane geometry, so all
> this toing and froing has to be happening
> moderately close to the South Pole.

Where does it say that the starting point is also the destination.

--
David

Peter Moylan

Aug 20, 2011, 9:45:02 PM8/20/11
It's implied, I believe, by the words "From your initial destination".
Normally we don't depart from a destination.

R H Draney

Aug 21, 2011, 1:21:01 AM8/21/11
Peter Moylan filted:

>the Omrud wrote:
>>
>> Where does it say that the starting point is also the destination.
>>
>It's implied, I believe, by the words "From your initial destination".
>Normally we don't depart from a destination.

Shirley one's "initial destination" is where one is destined to wind up before
complicating factors intervene....

Which would make everyone's initial destination the same: Limbo....r

--
Me? Sarcastic?
Yeah, right.

Liz

Aug 21, 2011, 3:14:32 AM8/21/11

"Peter Moylan" wrote:
> the Omrud wrote:
>>>>
>>> I don't have the patience to do the spherical geometry, but for the
>>> benefit of anyone else attempting this I'll note that
>>> - the fact that the starting point is also the
>>> destination has to be significant; and
>>> - the numbers wouldn't add up in plane geometry, so all
>>> this toing and froing has to be happening
>>> moderately close to the South Pole.
>>
>> Where does it say that the starting point is also the destination.
>>
> It's implied, I believe, by the words "From your initial destination".
> Normally we don't depart from a destination.

Lobo can sing it, if not speak it:
Me and you and a dog named Boo
Travelin' and livin' off the land
Me and you and a dog named Boo
How I love being a free man.

Anyhoo, I notice my two pugs are snoring loudly
to the rhythm of trip-hop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhkms130EJs&feature=related

Alan Curry

Aug 21, 2011, 6:19:30 AM8/21/11
In article <1oudnad_jLJfJtLT...@westnet.com.au>,

Peter Moylan <inv...@peter.pmoylan.org.invalid> wrote:
>Vinny Burgoo wrote:
>> From your initial destination, head out northwest and go about 600
>> miles, then northeast and about 1200 miles, then southwest and about 900
>> miles, then west and about 200 miles, then south and about 500 miles.
>> What supplies the rhythm?
>>
>I don't have the patience to do the spherical geometry, but for the
>benefit of anyone else attempting this I'll note that
> - the fact that the starting point is also the
> destination has to be significant; and
> - the numbers wouldn't add up in plane geometry, so all
> this toing and froing has to be happening
> moderately close to the South Pole.

With all the "about"s in the trip description, calculation may be the
wrong way to find the answer. But here it is anyway: With each trip
segment being along a great circle, if you want to end on the same
latitude you started at, it should be 27.60472 degrees north.

Starting at that latitude, you end up about 295 miles west of where you
started. You'd be closer to your initial destination if you didn't do
the 200 miles west segment of the trip.

So maybe the thing to do is minimize the distance between start and end
locations, instead of just trying to match the latitude. For that, a
different latitude works best: 48.15168 degrees north. Starting on that
latitude, you end up about 192 miles from the starting point. (SSW-ish)

I made a couple of images showing the path as it appears starting from
those latitudes. Any longitude would work (and finding the rhythmic
longitude might be the next step). I chose the longitude of Orlando for
the starting point, since the first thing I noticed about the 27.60472
latitude line is that it runs through the middle of Florida. (It turns
out that Orlando is about a degree north of it.)

Then for the other image, I lazily kept the same starting longitude
instead of looking for something interesting at 48N.

The images are in kosh.dhis.org:/pub/wayout/ but I don't think they'll
help.

--
Alan Curry

Peter Moylan

Aug 21, 2011, 8:02:49 AM8/21/11
Peter Moylan wrote:
> the Omrud wrote:
>>>>
>>> I don't have the patience to do the spherical geometry, but for the
>>> benefit of anyone else attempting this I'll note that
>>> - the fact that the starting point is also the
>>> destination has to be significant; and
>>> - the numbers wouldn't add up in plane geometry, so all
>>> this toing and froing has to be happening
>>> moderately close to the South Pole.
>> Where does it say that the starting point is also the destination.
>>
> It's implied, I believe, by the words "From your initial destination".
> Normally we don't depart from a destination.

On reflection, I see that I missed one possible interpretation, by
failing to notice the difference between "ultimate destination" and
"initial destination". The true starting point could be somewhere that's
not even mentioned in Vinny's description. From that starting point, you
first go an unknown distance in an unknown direction to reach the
initial destination. Once there, you can follow Vinny's instructions. In
other words, the first leg of the trip has not been included in the
description.

If that's the case, the trip doesn't have to culminate in a return to
the starting point, and therefore all my reasoning falls apart.

msh210

Aug 21, 2011, 10:31:43 AM8/21/11
On Aug 21, Alan Curry wrote:
> >> From your initial destination, head out northwest and go about 600
> >> miles, then northeast and about 1200 miles, then southwest and about 900
> >> miles, then west and about 200 miles, then south and about 500 miles.
> >> What supplies the rhythm?
<snip>

> With all the "about"s in the trip description, calculation may be the
> wrong way to find the answer. But here it is anyway: With each trip
> segment being along a great circle, if you want to end on the same
> latitude you started at, it should be 27.60472 degrees north.

Nice work; nice pictures. (That's not a hint.)

One thing I can confirm is that the travel is indeed along great
circles. Oh, and the directions are to the nearest forty-five
degrees. And the distances are to the nearest hundred miles (as you
might have guessed).

Michael Hamm
TO Panelist.

Vinny Burgoo

Aug 22, 2011, 8:20:18 AM8/22/11

Hint: You might be holding a margarita.

Evan Kirshenbaum

Aug 22, 2011, 4:06:29 PM8/22/11
Vinny Burgoo <hlu...@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

Windshield wipers?

Still with HP Labs |Voting in the House of
SF Bay Area (1982-) |Representatives is done by means of a
Chicago (1964-1982) |little plastic card with a magnetic
evan.kir...@gmail.com |but with no, that is, absolutely
|*no*, spending limit.
http://www.kirshenbaum.net/ | P.J. O'Rourke

Sproz

Aug 23, 2011, 6:43:57 AM8/23/11

The whistle blowing eight to the bar?

Mark

Vinny Burgoo

Aug 23, 2011, 4:30:54 PM8/23/11

No, no, no.

By the way, have you heard about the price of oil?

musika

Aug 23, 2011, 8:37:13 PM8/23/11

Marimba

--
Ray
UK

Cora Fuchs

Aug 23, 2011, 9:04:29 PM8/23/11
On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 10:52:51 +0100, Vinny Burgoo <hlu...@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

Not a triangle. A steel drum?

msh210

Aug 23, 2011, 9:10:38 PM8/23/11
On Aug 23, Cora Fuchs abed:

> > From your initial destination, head out northwest and go about 600
> >miles, then northeast and about 1200 miles, then southwest and about 900
> >miles, then west and about 200 miles, then south and about 500 miles.
> >What supplies the rhythm?
>
> Not a triangle. A steel drum?

Thank you!

(TO answer: a steel drum band.)

Michael Hamm
TO Panelist

CDB

Aug 23, 2011, 11:26:50 PM8/23/11
Maracas?

Jerry Friedman

Aug 24, 2011, 9:59:40 AM8/24/11

Your Cormo will reach you at Kokomo after stopping at a lot of other
resorts.

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. Sheepshipper