=SDC= Q9: If I were a rich man

Jerry Friedman

Sep 1, 2012, 1:09:31 AM9/1/12
Once this verb applies to loons. Twice it's much more melodious. What
is it?

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. Panelist

Snidely

Sep 1, 2012, 3:25:08 PM9/1/12
on 8/31/2012, Jerry Friedman supposed :
> Once this verb applies to loons. Twice it's much more melodious. What
> is it?

Is this a registered question, or is it more clumsy than that?

/dps

--
Who, me? And what lacuna?

Cornelius Whufferhostler

Sep 1, 2012, 4:47:58 PM9/1/12
Ding, as in Chav slang. Ding-ding the sound the slot machine would make if you won.

Jerry Friedman

Sep 1, 2012, 4:50:35 PM9/1/12
On Sep 1, 1:25 pm, Snidely <snidely....@gmail.com> wrote:
> on 8/31/2012, Jerry Friedman supposed :
>
> > Once this verb applies to loons. Twice it's much more melodious. What
> > is it?
>
> Is this a registered question, or is it more clumsy than that?

Is "more clumsy" clumsier than "clumsier"?

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. wonderer

Iain Archer

Sep 2, 2012, 10:46:54 AM9/2/12
Jerry Friedman wrote on Fri, 31 Aug 2012
>Once this verb applies to loons. Twice it's much more melodious. What
>is it?

I was led to the Canadian one and two dollar coins, apparently the
"loonie" and "toonie", but can't verb them.
--
Iain Archer

msh210

Sep 4, 2012, 1:48:01 PM9/4/12
On August 31st, Jerry Friedman Totally Officially noted:

Or, more precisely, a loon. Vide http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loon

> Twice it's much more melodious. What is it?

Michael Hamm
TO hinter

Ian Noble

Sep 4, 2012, 1:51:16 PM9/4/12
On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 22:09:31 -0700 (PDT), Jerry Friedman
<je...@totally-official.com> wrote:

>Once this verb applies to loons. Twice it's much more melodious. What
>is it?

Wail (-> Wales)?

Cheers - Ian
(BrE: Yorks., Hants.

Liz

Sep 4, 2012, 2:44:04 PM9/4/12

"Jerry Friedman" <je...@totally-official.com> wrote:
> Once this verb applies to loons. Twice it's much more melodious. What
> is it?

bidi bidi bum - chanting?

Vinny Burgoo

Sep 4, 2012, 3:04:03 PM9/4/12
In alt.usage.english, msh210 wrote:
>On August 31st, Jerry Friedman Totally Officially noted:
>> Once this verb applies to loons.
>
>Or, more precisely, a loon. Vide http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loon
>
>> Twice it's much more melodious. What is it?

There's a somewhat raucous popular beat combo called Dive Dive. Perhaps
today's youngsters find that sort of thing melodious.

--
VB

Katy Jennison

Sep 4, 2012, 4:30:38 PM9/4/12
On 04/09/2012 18:51, Ian Noble wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 22:09:31 -0700 (PDT), Jerry Friedman
> <je...@totally-official.com> wrote:
>
>> Once this verb applies to loons. Twice it's much more melodious. What
>> is it?
>
> Wail (-> Wales)?

That must be worth at least a smallish lamb.

--
Katy Jennison

James Hogg

Sep 4, 2012, 4:37:06 PM9/4/12
It must be "dive" that the loon does. The plural "Dives" is the rich
man, but I don't find it very melodious.

--
James

msh210

Sep 4, 2012, 4:58:34 PM9/4/12
On Sep 4th, James Hogg abed:
<snip>
> It must be "dive" that the loon does. The plural "Dives" is the rich
> man, but I don't find it very melodious.

Thank you!

The scientific name of the Melodious Blackbird is Dives dives.

Michael Hamm
TO Beggarman-Thief

Katy Jennison

Sep 4, 2012, 5:08:17 PM9/4/12
No, indeed. Odious, maybe. What am I missing?

--
Katy Jennison

James Hogg

Sep 5, 2012, 2:09:50 AM9/5/12
Thanks. It's not known in these parts. So the answer is "dives" and
"Dives Dives" rather than my "dive" and "Dives". I'm kicking myself for
not thinking of a reduplicated species name. I got no further than the
melodious bulbul.

--
James