=SDC= Q48: Word Play

1 view

Jerry Friedman

Aug 22, 2011, 6:17:06 PM8/22/11
There's a seven-letter, sheep-related English word such that if you
exchange its first vowel with its last, then
change the first letter to its own successor in the alphabet, then
push its third consonant down the alphabet ten spaces, and then
change one of its vowels to match its first vowel you get a word that
serves as a big hint to another question in this year's SDC.

What word did you start with?

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. Panelist

Alan Curry

Aug 22, 2011, 8:32:26 PM8/22/11
In article <7b2a54dc-b6e1-41e3...@q12g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,

How much cheating is allowed?

I wrote a program to search for pairs of words with the relationship, then
dumped their dictionary entries and grepped for sheep. The answer showed
right up. Totally against the spirit of the thing?

--
Alan Curry

Jerry Friedman

Aug 22, 2011, 9:01:10 PM8/22/11
On Aug 22, 6:32 pm, pac...@kosh.dhis.org (Alan Curry) wrote:
> In article <7b2a54dc-b6e1-41e3-bbd8-cd1e95ad7...@q12g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,

Highly commendable (as is any other method).

Alan Curry

Aug 22, 2011, 9:22:22 PM8/22/11
In article <c4a2dff2-5848-4185...@r40g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,

Jerry Friedman <je...@totally-official.com> wrote:
>On Aug 22, 6:32 pm, pac...@kosh.dhis.org (Alan Curry) wrote:
>> In article
><7b2a54dc-b6e1-41e3-bbd8-cd1e95ad7...@q12g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
>> Jerry Friedman  <je...@totally-official.com> wrote:
>>
>> >There's a seven-letter, sheep-related English word such that if you
>> >exchange its first vowel with its last, then
>> >change the first letter to its own successor in the alphabet, then
>> >push its third consonant down the alphabet ten spaces, and then
>> >change one of its vowels to match its first vowel you get a word that
>> >serves as a big hint to another question in this year's SDC.
>>
>> >What word did you start with?
>>
>> How much cheating is allowed?
>>
>> I wrote a program to search for pairs of words with the relationship, then
>> dumped their dictionary entries and grepped for sheep. The answer showed
>> right up. Totally against the spirit of the thing?
>
>Highly commendable (as is any other method).

LANOLIN
LINOLAN
MINOLAN
MINOVAN
MINIVAN

--
Alan Curry

Jerry Friedman

Aug 22, 2011, 11:47:36 PM8/22/11
On Aug 22, 7:22 pm, pac...@kosh.dhis.org (Alan Curry) wrote:
> In article <c4a2dff2-5848-4185-bd72-bdc8630fc...@r40g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,

Thank you!

Jerry Friedman

Aug 23, 2011, 12:58:17 AM8/23/11

Your greasy but still healthy Cormo is arriving in its family vehicle.

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. Sheeptransformer