=SDC= Q51: Somehow Incites My Ass

1 view

Vinny Burgoo

Aug 23, 2011, 6:07:52 AM8/23/11
A wrinkly hermit, inspired by desert fathers, could lie all night beside
a beautiful naked girl to prove his ability to resist temptation. The
Greeks had a word for this ancient practice. Although it is used in
modern English works of scholarship, the word has not yet penetrated the
OED. What is it?

--
VB
T. O. Panellist

the Omrud

Aug 23, 2011, 6:24:34 AM8/23/11

Arete (excellence).

--
David (without much hope)

msh210

Aug 24, 2011, 11:47:39 PM8/24/11
On Aug 23, Vinny Burgoo, TO Panelist, abed:

Icy saint, mess in ruins.

Michael Hamm
TO Panelist

Vinny Burgoo

Aug 26, 2011, 3:41:32 PM8/26/11

The answer has a synonym (also not in the OED) that is an anagram of
'Ooh! Sin topic!' and can be translated as 'With friendship'.

--
VB
T. O. Lentil Asp

Mark Brader

Aug 30, 2011, 1:39:28 AM8/30/11
>> A wrinkly hermit, inspired by desert fathers, could lie all night beside
>> a beautiful naked girl to prove his ability to resist temptation. The
>> Greeks had a word for this ancient practice. Although it is used in
>> modern English works of scholarship, the word has not yet penetrated the
>> OED. What is it?

> Icy saint, mess in ruins.

Okay, so we've twice been pointed at an anagram of the same letters,
and they intriguingly include the first 6 letters of "ascetic" with
enough left over to make an "-ism" (although not a "-cism") ending.

This suggests that the answer might be something like "ascetisynism",
but I can't google up any evidence of any such form I can think of
(as well as having no idea of what "syn" might be doing in there).
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "If we gave people a choice, there would be chaos."
m...@vex.net | -- Dick McDonald

Peter Moylan

Aug 30, 2011, 5:04:43 AM8/30/11
Mark Brader wrote:
>>> A wrinkly hermit, inspired by desert fathers, could lie all night beside
>>> a beautiful naked girl to prove his ability to resist temptation. The
>>> Greeks had a word for this ancient practice. Although it is used in
>>> modern English works of scholarship, the word has not yet penetrated the
>>> OED. What is it?
>
>> Icy saint, mess in ruins.
>
> Okay, so we've twice been pointed at an anagram of the same letters,
> and they intriguingly include the first 6 letters of "ascetic" with
> enough left over to make an "-ism" (although not a "-cism") ending.
>
> This suggests that the answer might be something like "ascetisynism",
> but I can't google up any evidence of any such form I can think of
> (as well as having no idea of what "syn" might be doing in there).

It's also an anagram of "insane Russiin mystic". Pity about that one
wrong letter.

--
Peter Moylan, Newcastle, NSW, Australia. http://www.pmoylan.org
For an e-mail address, see my web page.

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Aug 30, 2011, 7:58:46 AM8/30/11

Gandhi used to do that (though in his case it was between two young
girls; I don't know if they were naked or not). He only started when he
was quite old, so maybe it wasn't too difficult for him, but he also
wanted his two sons to do the same, but as they were in their 40s they
weren't keen.

--
athel

CDB

Aug 30, 2011, 11:52:06 AM8/30/11
Mark Brader wrote:
>>> A wrinkly hermit, inspired by desert fathers, could lie all night
>>> beside a beautiful naked girl to prove his ability to resist
>>> temptation. The Greeks had a word for this ancient practice.
>>> Although it is used in modern English works of scholarship, the
>>> word has not yet penetrated the OED. What is it?
>
>> Icy saint, mess in ruins.
>
> Okay, so we've twice been pointed at an anagram of the same letters,
> and they intriguingly include the first 6 letters of "ascetic" with
> enough left over to make an "-ism" (although not a "-cism") ending.
>
> This suggests that the answer might be something like
> "ascetisynism", but I can't google up any evidence of any such form
> I can think of (as well as having no idea of what "syn" might be
> doing in there).

That's the "together" part. There is a Greek verb "synaske�n", to
practice together, which might make a noun like "synascetism" or
"synasceticism", but that still leaves a letter out or requires one
that isn't there, besides neither being findable anywhere I've looked.
There were a few wordpiles with "synascetic". "Synascesis" exists
too, but the letters are wrong.

n i