=SDC= Q20: Full of piss and vinegar

Jerry Friedman

Sep 2, 2012, 12:13:02 AM9/2/12
An obscure, obsolete, but not quite obscene word has been discussed in
the group. It has a descendant that's definitely alive and kicking.
What's the descendant?

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. Panelist

Don Phillipson

Sep 2, 2012, 7:38:45 AM9/2/12
"Jerry Friedman" <je...@totally-official.com> wrote in message

> An obscure, obsolete, but not quite obscene word has been discussed in
> the group. It has a descendant that's definitely alive and kicking.
> What's the descendant?

Does this question assume that vulgarity (piss) is "not quite obsene"?

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Jerry Friedman

Sep 2, 2012, 12:35:30 PM9/2/12
On Sep 2, 5:53 am, "Don Phillipson" <e...@SPAMBLOCK.ncf.ca> wrote:
> "Jerry Friedman" <je...@totally-official.com> wrote in message
>
> > An obscure, obsolete, but not quite obscene word has been discussed in
> > the group.  It has a descendant that's definitely alive and kicking.
> > What's the descendant?
>
> Does this question assume that vulgarity (piss) is "not quite obsene"?

You're thinking along the right lines.

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. hinter

CDB

Sep 2, 2012, 11:01:15 PM9/2/12
Mickey? I saw a piece of dialogue the other day where it was given as
"Mickey Bliss", so the inkhorn may not be the only possible source for
that word.

msh210

Sep 6, 2012, 5:33:57 PM9/6/12
On Sept. 1st, Jerry Friedman Totally Officially asked:
> An obscure, obsolete, but not quite obscene word has been discussed
> in the group.  It has a descendant that's definitely alive and kicking.
> What's the descendant?

I hope that the Totally Official answer will, at some point soon, oc-
cur to a contestant.

Michael Hamm
TO Hinter

Jerry Friedman

Sep 12, 2012, 1:21:23 PM9/12/12
On Sep 1, 10:13 pm, Jerry Friedman <je...@totally-official.com> wrote:
> An obscure, obsolete, but not quite obscene word has been discussed in
> the group.  It has a descendant that's definitely alive and kicking.
> What's the descendant?

"Feisty", ultimately from "fiste", a (silent) fart, in case you're
still wondering.

--
Jerry Friedman

James Hogg

Sep 12, 2012, 1:42:05 PM9/12/12
Yes, I was still wondering, and even more so in the case of the German
word erroneously derived from an initialism.

--
James

Jerry Friedman

Sep 12, 2012, 1:43:26 PM9/12/12