=SDC= Q04: The Disappearance

Vinny Burgoo

Aug 17, 2011, 5:44:25 AM8/17/11
Once, an Academy Award-winning director, who had at one point been
married to a Tony Award-winning actress, announced that he had had
enough and was setting out on a trip to Jakarta, Indonesia, to study
under a Zen master. This, of course, attracted the attention of the
media. (Those who are acquainted with the ways of movie directors might
say that such attention was the point, but we won't go there.)
Reporters, excited by the story, gathered to interview him, but were
turned away and informed that he had changed his mind and was continuing
his work in movies. This entire story occurred on one day; when?

(Though nothing in this story is true, it contains - in a sense - the
information you need to answer the question.)

--
VB

James Hogg

Aug 17, 2011, 5:25:22 PM8/17/11

Are the questions all going to be as difficult as the first four? If so,
I haven't a chance, nor enough time to puzzle them out.

--
James

Vinny Burgoo

Aug 17, 2011, 6:25:19 PM8/17/11

Something is missing from this analysis.

--
VB

R H Draney

Aug 17, 2011, 6:32:12 PM8/17/11
James Hogg filted:

Really?...I thought Q03 was a gimme, and if I'd dragged myself out of bed a
little earlier I probably would have nailed it....r

--
Me? Sarcastic?
Yeah, right.

Jerry Friedman

Aug 17, 2011, 6:53:39 PM8/17/11

We have some easier ones. Wait, sorry, they're from you.

Anyway, I expect you to be okay with Q05.

> Something is missing from this analysis.

I would have said "comment" or "discussion".

--
Jerry Friedman

Vinny Burgoo

Aug 17, 2011, 6:57:38 PM8/17/11

Much more apt.

One might perhaps stretch as far as 'description'.

--
VB

John Doe

Aug 17, 2011, 9:37:56 PM8/17/11
R H Draney <dadoctah spamcop.net> wrote:

> James Hogg filted:

>>Are the questions all going to be as difficult as the first
>>four? If so, I haven't a chance, nor enough time to puzzle them
>>out.
>
> Really?...I thought Q03 was a gimme, and if I'd dragged myself
> out of bed a little earlier I probably would have nailed it....r

Woulda coulda, but didn't.
--

> --
> Me? Sarcastic?
> Yeah, right.

> From: R H Draney <dadoctah spamcop.net>
> Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
> Subject: Re: =SDC= Q04: The Disappearance
> Date: 17 Aug 2011 15:32:12 -0700

James Hogg

Aug 18, 2011, 12:46:05 AM8/18/11

I think it's called "lateral thinking".

--
James

Evan Kirshenbaum

Aug 18, 2011, 2:01:14 AM8/18/11
James Hogg <Jas....@gOUTmail.com> writes:

If it turns out that this is the correct answer, I'm going to throw in
my towel right now.

Otherwise, I'd want to guess that the "who" is Noël Coward, but I
don't have a clue about the when. Unless it's Christmas day.

Still with HP Labs |It is a popular delusion that the
SF Bay Area (1982-) |government wastes vast amounts of
Chicago (1964-1982) |money through inefficiency and sloth.
evan.kir...@gmail.com |planning are required to waste this
|much money
http://www.kirshenbaum.net/ | P.J. O'Rourke

msh210

Aug 18, 2011, 2:12:44 AM8/18/11
On Aug 18, 1:01 am, Evan Kirshenbaum wrote:
> don't have a clue about the when.  Unless it's Christmas day.

Thank you!

Michael Hamm
Totay Officia Paneist

LFS

Aug 18, 2011, 2:28:29 AM8/18/11

Phew, that's a relief. I was beginning to doubt my own cleverness.

--
Laura
(emulate St. George for email)

R H Draney

Aug 18, 2011, 3:07:08 AM8/18/11
John Doe filted:

>R H Draney <dadoctah spamcop.net> wrote:
>
>> James Hogg filted:

>>>Are the questions all going to be as difficult as the first
>>>four? If so, I haven't a chance, nor enough time to puzzle them
>>>out.
>>
>> Really?...I thought Q03 was a gimme, and if I'd dragged myself
>> out of bed a little earlier I probably would have nailed it....r
>
>Woulda coulda, but didn't.

What do I have to do to get you to stay in a damn killfile where you belong?...r

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Aug 18, 2011, 4:15:25 AM8/18/11

Maybe change to another newsreader: it hasn't escaped from my killfile.

--
athel

Jerry Friedman

Aug 18, 2011, 9:38:49 AM8/18/11

Your Cormo is arriving a bit too soon for a Christmas present.

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. Sheeppresenter

Snidely

Aug 19, 2011, 11:08:43 PM8/19/11
msh210 <msh...@gmail.com> scribbled something like ...

> Totay Officia Paneist

Am I whooshed or pigeoned?

/dps

Reinhold {Rey} Aman

Aug 20, 2011, 12:08:58 AM8/20/11
No L = Noël.

--
~~~ Reinhold {Rey} Aman ~~~

Snidely

Aug 24, 2011, 4:23:31 AM8/24/11
On Aug 19, 9:08 pm, Reinhold {Rey} Aman <a...@sonic.net> wrote:
> Snidely wrote:
>
> > msh210 <msh...@gmail.com> scribbled something like ...
>
> >> Totay Officia Paneist
>
> > Am I whooshed or pigeoned?
>
> No L = Noël.

Ah.

/dps

Jerry Friedman

Aug 29, 2011, 11:37:11 PM8/29/11
On Aug 17, 3:44 am, Vinny Burgoo <hlu...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Once, an Academy Award-winning director, who had at one point been
> married to a Tony Award-winning actress, announced that he had had
> enough and was setting out on a trip to Jakarta, Indonesia, to study
> under a Zen master.  This, of course, attracted the attention of the
> media.  (Those who are acquainted with the ways of movie directors might
> say that such attention was the point, but we won't go there.)
> Reporters, excited by the story, gathered to interview him, but were
> turned away and informed that he had changed his mind and was continuing
> his work in movies.  This entire story occurred on one day; when?

I noticed that that last sentence includes an example of self-
referential "this". There's another one in this competition that I
don't think people have fully appreciated yet.

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. Panelist