=SDC= Q32: The Question Of Questions

Jerry Friedman

Aug 20, 2011, 7:04:09 PM8/20/11
Add an entry to this list, and give a reason for each entry's presence
on the list: managar, tulkojums, cumnat, yeldan.

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. Panelist

Skitt

Aug 20, 2011, 7:44:27 PM8/20/11

I see that one of the words is obviously in Latvian, but I see no rhyme
nor reason for the rest.
--
Skitt (SF Bay Area)
http://come.to/skitt

John Holmes

Aug 21, 2011, 2:05:44 AM8/21/11
Skitt wrote:
> On 8/20/2011 4:04 PM, Jerry Friedman wrote:
>
>> Add an entry to this list, and give a reason for each entry's
>> presence on the list: managar, tulkojums, cumnat, yeldan.
>>
>> --
>> Jerry Friedman, T. O. Panelist
>
> I see that one of the words is obviously in Latvian, but I see no rhyme
> nor reason for the rest.

The first looks like Tamil and the last maybe Turkish?

Cumnat is interesting, Romanian for brother-in-law from L. cognatus. Which
sort of makes it a cognate of 'cognate'.

Tulkojums seems to be about translations and versions, so does it have an
etymology that is similar?

--
Regards
John

msh210

Aug 22, 2011, 7:23:20 PM8/22/11
On Aug 20, Skitt abed:

> I see that one of the words is obviously in Latvian

You don't say. What is it the translation of?

Michael Hamm
TO Panelist

Skitt

Aug 22, 2011, 7:58:13 PM8/22/11

Translation, of course. :)

Jeffrey Turner

Aug 22, 2011, 10:18:35 PM8/22/11
On 8/22/2011 7:58 PM, Skitt wrote:
> On 8/22/2011 4:23 PM, msh210 wrote:
>> On Aug 20, Skitt abed:
>
>>> I see that one of the words is obviously in Latvian
>>
>> You don't say. What is it the translation of?
>>
>> Michael Hamm
>> TO Panelist
>
> Translation, of course. :)

Traduccion would be translation in Spanish.

James Hogg

Aug 23, 2011, 1:45:16 AM8/23/11
msh210 wrote:
> On Aug 20, Skitt abed:
>> I see that one of the words is obviously in Latvian
>
> You don't say. What is it the translation of?

Duh! Slaps forehead.

"tulkojums" is the translation of "translation"
"cumnat" is the cognate of "cognate"

I leave the others to someone with more time.

--
James

James Hogg

Aug 23, 2011, 1:48:53 AM8/23/11

"managar" is the anagram of "anagram"
"Yeldan" is the palindrome of "Bolton"

--
James

James Hogg

Aug 23, 2011, 3:47:58 AM8/23/11

That last one is still annoying me. I see that "yeldan" could be a
spelling of Old English "gieldan" (to pay), and a cognate is spelled
that way in early editions of the Frisian laws. I'm looking for an
English word that means both "compensation" and "replacement" but it
only works well in Swedish:

"Yeldan" är en ersättning för ersättning.

Or maybe this:

"Yeldan" is fine for "fine".

But then you lose the "of".

--
James

musika

Aug 23, 2011, 1:55:25 PM8/23/11

How about Yeldan yields yield.

--
Ray
UK

James Hogg

Aug 23, 2011, 3:46:27 PM8/23/11
musika wrote:
> James Hogg wrote:
>> James Hogg wrote:

>>> "managar" is the anagram of "anagram"
>>> "Yeldan" is the palindrome of "Bolton"
>>
>> That last one is still annoying me. I see that "yeldan" could be a
>> spelling of Old English "gieldan" (to pay), and a cognate is spelled
>> that way in early editions of the Frisian laws. I'm looking for an
>> English word that means both "compensation" and "replacement" but it
>> only works well in Swedish:
>>
>> "Yeldan" �r en ers�ttning f�r ers�ttning.

>> Or maybe this:
>>
>> "Yeldan" is fine for "fine".
>>
>> But then you lose the "of".
>
> How about Yeldan yields yield.

Or "yield" is the yield of "yieldan", to make it fit the slug.

--
James

msh210

Aug 23, 2011, 4:23:43 PM8/23/11
On Aug 20, Jerry Friedman, TO Panelist, abed:

> Add an entry to this list, and give a reason for each entry's presence
> on the list: managar, tulkojums, cumnat, yeldan.

Unlike 'tulkojums' and 'cumnat', but like 'managar', 'yeldan' is sort
of an English word.

Michael Hamm
TO Panelist

musika

Aug 23, 2011, 4:23:48 PM8/23/11

Or "yield" is the yield of "yeldan", to be absolutely precise.

--
Ray
UK

Jerry Friedman

Aug 24, 2011, 9:11:40 AM8/24/11

Michael or Vinny: Can we provide another hint here?

Vinny Burgoo

Aug 24, 2011, 9:52:55 AM8/24/11

Another clue? Really? Overtly specific teasers indulge clockwatchers.

--
VB
T. O. Panellist

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Aug 24, 2011, 11:19:36 AM8/24/11

I thought "yeldan" had a Turkish look about it, and Google Translate
does indeed "detect" that it is Turkish, but then rather unhelpfully
tells me that the English for it is "Yeldan", a word that the SOED
doesn't know.

--
athel

Richard Bollard

Aug 24, 2011, 7:16:19 PM8/24/11
On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 14:52:55 +0100, Vinny Burgoo <hlu...@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

Ostic? Don't start bringing Choctaw into this.
--
Richard Bollard
Canberra Australia

To email, I'm at AMT not spAMT.

Vinny Burgoo

Aug 25, 2011, 9:58:56 AM8/25/11
In alt.usage.english, Richard Bollard wrote:
>On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 14:52:55 +0100, Vinny Burgoo <hlu...@yahoo.co.uk>

>>>Michael or Vinny: Can we provide another hint here?
>>
>>Another clue? Really? Overtly specific teasers indulge clockwatchers.
>
>Ostic? Don't start bringing Choctaw into this.

Play fair!

msh210

Aug 25, 2011, 7:26:49 PM8/25/11
On Aug 25, Vinny Burgoo, TO Panelist, abed:

> > > Another clue? Really? Overtly specific teasers indulge clockwatchers.
> >
> > Ostic? Don't start bringing Choctaw into this.
>
> Play fair!

If that was a hint, I don't get it, so I'll post another now: Instead
of 'yeldan', we could have put 'pvcure' on the list.

Michael Hamm
TO Panelist

Cora Fuchs

Aug 25, 2011, 8:07:52 PM8/25/11
On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 16:26:49 -0700 (PDT), msh210 <msh...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Yeldan is a cipher of cipher?

Mark Brader

Aug 25, 2011, 8:19:16 PM8/25/11

>>> Play fair!
>>
>> If that was a hint, I don't get it...

Then you need to reread "Have His Carcase" by Dorothy Sayers, qhevat
juvpu Ybeq Crgre Jvzfrl fbyirf n zrffntr jevggra va n Cynlsnve pvcure.

>> so I'll post another now: Instead
>> of 'yeldan', we could have put 'pvcure' on the list.
>
> Yeldan is a cipher of cipher?

Yep, that'd be it. But if "Another clue? Really? Overtly specific
teasers indulge clockwatchers" -- na npebfgvp bs "npebfgvp" -- was
supposed to be the desired addition to the list, it fails due to
being multiple words.

Instead I propose "prime", n eulzr bs "eulzr".
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Ken doesn't spell very well. Fortunately,
m...@vex.net he has other virtues." -- Dennis Ritchie

Jerry Friedman

Aug 25, 2011, 11:18:14 PM8/25/11
On Aug 25, 6:19 pm, m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote:

> >> If that was a hint, I don't get it...
>
> Then you need to reread "Have His Carcase" by Dorothy Sayers, qhevat
> juvpu Ybeq Crgre Jvzfrl fbyirf n zrffntr jevggra va n Cynlsnve pvcure.
>
> >> so I'll post another now:  Instead
> >> of 'yeldan', we could have put 'pvcure' on the list.
>
> >Yeldanis a cipher of cipher?

> Yep, that'd be it.  But if "Another clue? Really? Overtly specific
> teasers indulge clockwatchers" -- na npebfgvp bs "npebfgvp" -- was
> supposed to be the desired addition to the list, it fails due to
> being multiple words.

We didn't say it had to be a single word.

> Instead I propose "prime", n eulzr bs "eulzr".

Thank you!

That is along the lines of another clue we considered.

(I was expecting an answer such as "misteak" or "misspeling", so you
proved me wrong. There are many other possible answers.)

I think we're going to have to divide the sheep on this one.

Jerry Friedman

Aug 30, 2011, 10:02:32 AM8/30/11

After long deliberation, the Panel awards a Cormo to Mark, four
Herdwicks to James Hogg, and two each to Cora Fuchs and John Holmes,
with thanks to Skitt for translation of "translation".

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. Sheepallotter