=SDC= Q16: From the other place to the other place

Jerry Friedman

Sep 1, 2012, 12:59:44 PM9/1/12
Find two points on the same land mass in one of the industrialized
English-speaking countries, at least five miles (8 km) apart as the
crow flies, for which the length of the route recommended by Google
Maps exceeds that of the crow's route by the greatest ratio. The
sheep will go to the person who has found the points with the greatest
ratio when the competition ends.

There must be a route recommended by Google Maps; the absence of a
route does not count as infinite distance.

The Totally Official industrialized English-speaking countries are
Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa, the UK, and the
US.

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. Panelist

Vinny Burgoo

Sep 1, 2012, 3:14:55 PM9/1/12
Ooh, I could happily waste hours on this.

Google Maps offers two routes for Lenie to Abersky, settlements on
opposite sides of Loch Ness that are 5.2 miles apart as the crow flies.
The first (the recommended route?) is 33.1 miles; the second is 38.8
miles. So I claim 6.4:1 (6.365:1) or, if allowed, 7.5:1 (7.462:1).

--
VB

Curlytop

Sep 1, 2012, 3:40:57 PM9/1/12
Jerry Friedman set the following eddies spiralling through the space-time
continuum:
Cardiff to Weston-super-Mare: 12 miles as the seagull flies across the
Bristol Channel, 54.3 miles by the recommended road route (M4, M49, M5,
A370)

So let's try a route further down the Bristol Channel e.g. Barry to Watchet,
the most southerly point of the Welsh mainland to the most southerly point
of Bridgwater Bay. 15 miles in a straight line across the sea, 98.8 miles
by road (A4232, M4, M49, M5, A39).

BTW on a recent visit to the island of Steep Holm, the speedboat I was on
did the 12-mile sea crossing from Weston to Cardiff in a very respectable
14 minutes.
--
ξ: ) Proud to be curly

Interchange the alphabetic letter groups to reply

Vinny Burgoo

Sep 1, 2012, 4:02:27 PM9/1/12
Bend Recreation Area, South Dakota, to some unnamed place (farm
buildings?) 5.0 miles away on a peninsula across Lake Oahe: 81.9 miles.
Which gives 16.4:1.

--
VB

Vinny Burgoo

Sep 1, 2012, 4:26:03 PM9/1/12
In alt.usage.english, Vinny Burgoo wrote:
>In alt.usage.english, Vinny Burgoo wrote:

>>Ooh, I could happily waste hours on this.
>>
>>Google Maps offers two routes for Lenie to Abersky, settlements on
>>opposite sides of Loch Ness that are 5.2 miles apart as the crow
>>flies. The first (the recommended route?) is 33.1 miles; the second is
>>38.8 miles. So I claim 6.4:1 (6.365:1) or, if allowed, 7.5:1 (7.462:1).
>
>Bend Recreation Area, South Dakota, to some unnamed place (farm
>buildings?) 5.0 miles away on a peninsula across Lake Oahe: 81.9 miles.
>Which gives 16.4:1.

Cove Point in Chesapeake Bay to an unnamed cape due east of it: 24.3:1.

--
VB
Help! How do I get off this thing?

Cédric Menge

Sep 1, 2012, 4:34:45 PM9/1/12
12:1
<http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=NB-320+E&daddr=QC-132+E&hl=en&sll=47.928766,-64.982758&sspn=0.429262,1.056747&geocode=FdrG2QIdIJMe_A%3BFYgz3QIdRMod_A&mra=dme&mrsp=0&sz=11&t=m&z=11>

I've managed just short of 14:1 as well, but that was in Norway (fjords
are useful for this kind of thing).

Also, 26.5:1 in New Zealand around Wellington Harbour, but with an
endpoint separation of only 2.25km.

The "ratio" part of the rules is an interesting twist. I looked at
large-scale structures at first, but didn't make it past roughly 8:1.

It really only depends on the shape of the route, and smaller-scale
geography in low-population areas seems to be at an advantage here:
Nobody builds a bridge or runs a ferry so five cars a week can save 2km.

C�dric

Jerry Friedman

Sep 1, 2012, 4:45:13 PM9/1/12
On Sep 1, 1:15 pm, Vinny Burgoo <hlu...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> In alt.usage.english, Jerry Friedman wrote:
>
> >Find two points on the same land mass in one of the industrialized
> >English-speaking countries, at least five miles (8 km) apart as the
> >crow flies, for which the length of the route recommended by Google
> >Maps exceeds that of the crow's route by the greatest ratio.  The
> >sheep will go to the person who has found the points with the greatest
> >ratio when the competition ends.
>
> >There must be a route recommended by Google Maps; the absence of a
> >route does not count as infinite distance.
>
> >The Totally Official industrialized English-speaking countries are
> >Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa, the UK, and the
> >US.
>
> Ooh, I could happily waste hours on this.

Careful!

> Google Maps offers two routes for Lenie to Abersky, settlements on
> opposite sides of Loch Ness that are 5.2 miles apart as the crow flies.
> The first (the recommended route?) is 33.1 miles

Yes, by "recommended route" I meant the first one (which is estimated
to take the least time in the ones I've looked at).

Mark Brader

Sep 1, 2012, 5:28:10 PM9/1/12
C�dric Menge:
> The "ratio" part of the rules is an interesting twist. I looked at
> large-scale structures at first, but didn't make it past roughly 8:1.
>
> It really only depends on the shape of the route, and smaller-scale
> geography in low-population areas seems to be at an advantage here:
> Nobody builds a bridge or runs a ferry so five cars a week can save 2km.

Ferries, don't talk to me about ferries. I found a spot on Lutak Rd.
near Haines, Alaska, for which the road distance to Skagway Seaplane
Base is 585 km because you have to go via Haines, Haines Jct., and
Whitehorse, and the two points are about 18 km apart, giving a ratio of
32.5. But *nooooo*, Google Maps just routes you via the Skagway-Haines
ferry and calls it 33.7 km total distance -- to get the road route
you have to select both Haines Jct. and Whitehorse as intermediate
destinations. Phooey!
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Bacterium is the term for a single bacteria."
m...@vex.net |

Mark Brader

Sep 1, 2012, 5:54:41 PM9/1/12
Mark Brader:
> Ferries, don't talk to me about ferries.

No ferries across the Grand Canyon, though.

From 36.07481,-112.15567 (a viewpoint on West Rim Drive on the
South Rim) to 36.18061,-112.12801 (Tiyo Point, or more precisely
the end of the Tiyo Point Road, on the North Rim). Google Maps
gives a route of 359 km; my program makes the straight distance
between those coordinates 12.024 km; that gives a ratio of 29.86.

(I'm using km because this gives the finest gradations on the Google
Maps route lengths, by the way -- it shows them in whole miles or
whole kilometers.)
--
Mark Brader | "And so it went. Tens of thousands of messages,
Toronto | hundreds of points of view. It was not called the

Vinny Burgoo

Sep 1, 2012, 5:59:55 PM9/1/12
In alt.usage.english, Mark Brader wrote:
>Mark Brader:

>> Ferries, don't talk to me about ferries.
>
>No ferries across the Grand Canyon, though.
>
>From 36.07481,-112.15567 (a viewpoint on West Rim Drive on the
>South Rim) to 36.18061,-112.12801 (Tiyo Point, or more precisely
>the end of the Tiyo Point Road, on the North Rim). Google Maps
>gives a route of 359 km; my program makes the straight distance
>between those coordinates 12.024 km; that gives a ratio of 29.86.
>
>(I'm using km because this gives the finest gradations on the Google
>Maps route lengths, by the way -- it shows them in whole miles or
>whole kilometers.)

Or across Babine Lake, it seems:

<http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Unknown+road&daddr=Unknown+road&hl=e
n&geocode=FZ7QQwMduvl7-A%3BFcWzRAMd_hx9-A&doflg=ptk&mra=ls&t=m&z=9>

59.3:1.

--
VB

James Hogg

Sep 1, 2012, 6:09:57 PM9/1/12
Mark Brader wrote:
> C�dric Menge:
>> The "ratio" part of the rules is an interesting twist. I looked at
>> large-scale structures at first, but didn't make it past roughly 8:1.
>>
>> It really only depends on the shape of the route, and smaller-scale
>> geography in low-population areas seems to be at an advantage here:
>> Nobody builds a bridge or runs a ferry so five cars a week can save 2km.
>
> Ferries, don't talk to me about ferries. I found a spot on Lutak Rd.
> near Haines, Alaska, for which the road distance to Skagway Seaplane
> Base is 585 km because you have to go via Haines, Haines Jct., and
> Whitehorse, and the two points are about 18 km apart, giving a ratio of
> 32.5. But *nooooo*, Google Maps just routes you via the Skagway-Haines
> ferry and calls it 33.7 km total distance -- to get the road route
> you have to select both Haines Jct. and Whitehorse as intermediate
> destinations. Phooey!

I thought I had a good one here:

From Pasp�biac, QC, Canada
to Caraquet, NB, Canada

until I realized the Google distance was in km and I was estimating the
crow's flight in miles (by the way, where can you get an exact figure
for that?). The respective distances are 195 and 21 miles, a ratio of 1:9.3.

--
James

Vinny Burgoo

Sep 1, 2012, 6:14:47 PM9/1/12
Click 'Maps Lab' somewhere near the bottom left of the Google Maps
screen and enable 'Distance Measurement Tool' then click the ruler (it
turns blue) and click on two points.

--
VB

PAUL {HAMILTON ROONEY}

Sep 1, 2012, 6:17:42 PM9/1/12
Why 'at least 5 miles apart'?

James Hogg

Sep 1, 2012, 6:32:53 PM9/1/12
Thanks.

--
James

Jerry Friedman

Sep 1, 2012, 6:36:47 PM9/1/12
On Sep 1, 4:17 pm, PAUL {HAMILTON ROONEY} <PAULVLOO...@SNOTMAIL.COM>
wrote:
> Why 'at least 5 miles apart'?

Because we didn't want it to be from somebody's street to the alley
behind their house, or from a highway to a frontage road, or for that
matter from the eastbound lanes of a highway to the westbound (if you
can make Google Maps show you a distance for that). We didn't think
things like that would be fun to look for.

If you asked that because you have an interesting example with a
direct distance less than five miles (I realize you didn't say that),
people might like to see it.

Reinhold {Rey} Aman

Sep 1, 2012, 7:07:06 PM9/1/12
Vinny Burgoo wrote:

> Help! How do I get off this thing?

You can't. SDC is a tar baby.

--
~~~ Reinhold {Rey} Aman ~~~
Message has been deleted

Mark Brader

Sep 1, 2012, 10:50:38 PM9/1/12
> Or across Babine Lake, it seems:
>
> <http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Unknown+road&daddr=Unknown+road&hl=e
> n&geocode=FZ7QQwMduvl7-A%3BFcWzRAMd_hx9-A&doflg=ptk&mra=ls&t=m&z=9>
>
> 59.3:1.

I make the coordinates 54.77594,-126.09283 and 54.83412,-126.01831,
which are 4.9912 miles or 8.0325 km apart. The GM route is 474 km,
and 474/8.0325 = 59.01.

To reach the required 5 miles, let's move the second point east a bit
to 54.83406,-126.01779. Now the ratio is 474/8.047 = 58.90, but it's
contest-legal.
--
Mark Brader | "Some societies define themselves by being open to new
Toronto | influences, others define their identity by resisting.

PAUL {HAMILTON ROONEY}

Sep 2, 2012, 1:04:57 AM9/2/12
Ah, I see.

> If you asked that because you have an interesting example with a
> direct distance less than five miles (I realize you didn't say that),
> people might like to see it.

I thought I had, but Google's route uses a ferry crossing that I wasn't
aware of.

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Sep 2, 2012, 1:35:03 AM9/2/12
On 2012-09-02 00:24:10 +0000, Lewis said:

> In message <080db78a-94c2-4d42...@z17g2000yqk.googlegroups.com>
> Jerry Friedman <je...@totally-official.com> wrote:
>> Find two points on the same land mass in one of the industrialized
>> English-speaking countries, at least five miles (8 km) apart as the
>> crow flies, for which the length of the route recommended by Google
>> Maps exceeds that of the crow's route by the greatest ratio. The
>> sheep will go to the person who has found the points with the greatest
>> ratio when the competition ends.
>
> Sadly, Google maps "avoid tolls" does not, in fact, avoid tolls.
>
> http://goo.gl/maps/Q1Sri
>
> If it did I could get two points over the Golden Gate that were 5km
> apart and took well over 250km.
>
> Cheating?

Maybe, but it brings back a memory. Once we were somewhere in Marin
County and needed to get back to Berkeley when we realized we hadn't
brought enough money for the tolls (OK, I know it wasn't much, but we
had been careless, and spent almost every cent). So we drove back
around by Vallejo -- a very long way! In those days there were tolls in
both directions on the Bay Bridge -- jokes about having to pay to go to
San Francisco but going to Oakland was free came later.

--
athel

Alan Curry

Sep 2, 2012, 2:03:15 AM9/2/12
In article <DvWdnd6dhOC8Gd_N...@vex.net>,
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:
>Mark Brader:
>> Ferries, don't talk to me about ferries.
>
>No ferries across the Grand Canyon, though.
>
>From 36.07481,-112.15567 (a viewpoint on West Rim Drive on the
>South Rim) to 36.18061,-112.12801 (Tiyo Point, or more precisely
>the end of the Tiyo Point Road, on the North Rim). Google Maps
>gives a route of 359 km; my program makes the straight distance
>between those coordinates 12.024 km; that gives a ratio of 29.86.

In the same part of the world, 36.222134, -113.144522 to 36.157896,
-113.101963, straight line distance 5 miles (well, 5.027 but it's just a
matter of fiddling with the endpoints; you can get under 3.5 miles just
by following the roads to their ends), driving distance 439 miles, ratio
439/5 = 87.8

Starting and ending in Arizona, goes through Las Vegas and part of Utah.

--
Alan Curry

Vinny Burgoo

Sep 2, 2012, 7:07:20 AM9/2/12
In alt.usage.english, Mark Brader wrote:
>> Or across Babine Lake, it seems:
>>
>> <http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Unknown+road&daddr=Unknown+road&hl=e
>> n&geocode=FZ7QQwMduvl7-A%3BFcWzRAMd_hx9-A&doflg=ptk&mra=ls&t=m&z=9>
>>
>> 59.3:1.
>
>I make the coordinates 54.77594,-126.09283 and 54.83412,-126.01831,
>which are 4.9912 miles or 8.0325 km apart. The GM route is 474 km,
>and 474/8.0325 = 59.01.
>
>To reach the required 5 miles, let's move the second point east a bit
>to 54.83406,-126.01779. Now the ratio is 474/8.047 = 58.90, but it's
>contest-legal.

But not contest-winning.

Nor is this. Two points in Egypt separated by 25 m and 10,662 km:

<http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Halaieb+We+Shalatein&daddr=Unknown+r
oad&hl=en&ll=22.005951,36.72512&spn=0.00192,0.00268&sll=22.005866,36.7254
33&sspn=0.00384,0.006968&geocode=FXDITwEdBmAwAg%3BFY3HTwEdJGAwAg&mra=dme&
mrsp=1&sz=18&t=m&z=19>

426,480:1 - and it includes a ferry! (Dunno where.)

If you drag either of the markers slightly closer to each other the
recommended route becomes a bit more sensible.

This is odd, too:

<http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll=24.634535,94.336853&spn=0.963679,
1.783905&t=m&z=10>

Someone testing the 'city' brush before inking Imphal, then forgetting
to delete?

--
VB

Vinny Burgoo

Sep 2, 2012, 7:10:01 AM9/2/12
In alt.usage.english, Reinhold {Rey} Aman wrote:
>Vinny Burgoo wrote:

>> Help! How do I get off this thing?
>>
>You can't. SDC is a tar baby.

You're not wrong. But at least I now know that you can't get from Typo
to Spello by road.

--
VB

Mark Brader

Sep 2, 2012, 1:58:47 PM9/2/12
> Nor is this. Two points in Egypt separated by 25 m and 10,662 km:
>
> <http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Halaieb+We+Shalatein&daddr=Unknown+r
> oad&hl=en&ll=22.005951,36.72512&spn=0.00192,0.00268&sll=22.005866,36.7254
> 33&sspn=0.00384,0.006968&geocode=FXDITwEdBmAwAg%3BFY3HTwEdJGAwAg&mra=dme&
> mrsp=1&sz=18&t=m&z=19>

When I originally read the question I assumed it was asking for this sort
of anomaly. How'd you find this one? Maybe you could find a context-legal
one by the same method.

> 426,480:1 - and it includes a ferry! (Dunno where.)

Easily found by searching for text in the route map. It's at the
El Beid or Ebeji River, forming the Nigeria-Cameroon border.

> If you drag either of the markers slightly closer to each other the
> recommended route becomes a bit more sensible.

There's a similar anomaly in the area of that ferry -- an obvious
shorter route crossing the river by bridge at Gambaru. You can
see by experiment that Google Maps knows the bridge route is there
but, again, tries not to send you that way unless you put the start
and end points close enough together (within about 10 miles).
--
Mark Brader | "...people continue to wish that C were something it is not,
Toronto | not realizing that if C were what they thought they wanted
| be using it in the first place." -- Steve Summit

Vinny Burgoo

Sep 2, 2012, 3:07:19 PM9/2/12
In alt.usage.english, Mark Brader wrote:
>> Nor is this. Two points in Egypt separated by 25 m and 10,662 km:
>>
>> <http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Halaieb+We+Shalatein&daddr=Unknown+r
>> oad&hl=en&ll=22.005951,36.72512&spn=0.00192,0.00268&sll=22.005866,36.7254
>> 33&sspn=0.00384,0.006968&geocode=FXDITwEdBmAwAg%3BFY3HTwEdJGAwAg&mra=dme&
>> mrsp=1&sz=18&t=m&z=19>
>
>When I originally read the question I assumed it was asking for this sort
>of anomaly. How'd you find this one?

I was up very late with a mountain of Guinness.

>Maybe you could find a context-legal one by the same method.

My body wouldn't stand it.

But I did have a quick and sober look at US and South African border
crossings. No luck. They all behave logically.

It's a shame that the US and Canada get on so well. With a less porous,
more militarised border, there'd be all sorts of opportunities for daft
detours.

--
VB

R H Draney

Sep 2, 2012, 5:05:55 PM9/2/12
Vinny Burgoo filted:

>But I did have a quick and sober look at US and South African border
>crossings. No luck. They all behave logically.
>
>It's a shame that the US and Canada get on so well. With a less porous,
>more militarised border, there'd be all sorts of opportunities for daft
>detours.

Four years ago this week, I drove from Phoenix to San Diego to do the
"face-to-face" portion of qualifying as a contestant for "Jeopardy!"...got off
the highway in Yuma to have lunch, and when I tried to get back underway, my GPS
insisted that I would have to drive to Parker before crossing the Colorado
River....

117 miles out of my way....

Turns out I had forgotten to change the setting from "avoid freeways" to either
"shortest route" or "fastest route"...crossing *at* Yuma would require me using
I-8 all the way to the coast, while the next likely crossing at Blythe would
have involved I-10....

There are few places to cross the Colorado, spaced a considerable distance
apart, and potential answers to this SDC question could be drawn from paired
points anywhere other than those crossings; the Grand Canyon examples already
posted may be among the more extreme cases...I found a useful Wiki page at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_crossings_of_the_Rio_Grande

but nothing similar for the Colorado....r

--
Me? Sarcastic?
Yeah, right.

Charles Bishop

Sep 3, 2012, 12:32:36 AM9/3/12
In article <k1tocd$o1i$1...@dont-email.me>, Curlytop
Can't look myself, but maybe something in Alaska? I wonder if theres
something along a river.

Oh, wait, At the Grand Canyon, there is a route from the south rim to the
north rim where a road trip is something like 40 miles.

--
charles

Charles Bishop

Sep 3, 2012, 12:39:06 AM9/3/12
In article <aag9g2...@mid.individual.net>, Athel Cornish-Bowden
There is a bridge from San Rafael to Richmond(?) on the Berkeley side of
the bay where you don't pay a toll going from Marin to Richmond. Was that
not there when you needed to travel?

--
charles

Adam Funk

Sep 3, 2012, 8:00:23 AM9/3/12
On 2012-09-01, Vinny Burgoo wrote:

> In alt.usage.english, Jerry Friedman wrote:
>
>>Find two points on the same land mass in one of the industrialized
>>English-speaking countries, at least five miles (8 km) apart as the
>>crow flies, for which the length of the route recommended by Google
>>Maps exceeds that of the crow's route by the greatest ratio. The
>>sheep will go to the person who has found the points with the greatest
>>ratio when the competition ends.
>>
>>There must be a route recommended by Google Maps; the absence of a
>>route does not count as infinite distance.
>>
>>The Totally Official industrialized English-speaking countries are
>>Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa, the UK, and the
>>US.
>
> Ooh, I could happily waste hours on this.

You might find the "Earth Sandwich" concept interesting too.

http://www.zefrank.com/sandwich/tool.html

--
War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.
[Ambrose Bierce]

bs

Sep 3, 2012, 12:41:38 PM9/3/12
On Saturday, September 1, 2012 9:59:44 AM UTC-7, Jerry Friedman wrote:
> Find two points on the same land mass....
<snip>

From Kanawyers, California (on the South Fork of the Kings River), to the top of the Onion Valley Road west of Independence, California (near Mount Whitney), I get 353 mi./14 mi. (25:1).

Point A - http://goo.gl/maps/lzixG
(36.795278,-118.584722)
Point B - http://goo.gl/maps/gxzzz
(36.771978,-118.341168)

--
Bob Stahl

Mark Brader

Sep 4, 2012, 1:57:26 AM9/4/12
Charles Bishop:
> Oh, wait, At the Grand Canyon, there is a route from the south rim to the
> north rim where a road trip is something like 40 miles.

Ahem!
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Unjutsly malinged? I think not."
m...@vex.net -- Ross Howard

Mark Brader

Sep 4, 2012, 2:03:49 AM9/4/12
"Lewis":
> I have this one which is a nice long route without anomalies.
>
> [Key West to Cancun]
>
> How do I get the crow distance? I am guessing it's about 400 miles? SO
> that's only about 8:1, but it's a very long 8:1.

Also, they aren't on the same land mass and they aren't both in
English-speaking countries. But yes, it is a very long 8:1.
(I make it 8.1:1, actually.)
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "We don't use clubs; they weren't invented here.
m...@vex.net | We use rocks." -- David Keldsen

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Sep 4, 2012, 2:59:47 AM9/4/12
I don't if there is a toll there now, but there certainly was in 1969.
It was the most expensive bridge in the Bay Area (75c at a time when
the others were 25c).

--
athel

Message has been deleted

Alan Curry

Sep 4, 2012, 5:28:20 AM9/4/12
In article <slrnk4bfhg....@mbp55.local>,
Lewis <g.k...@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:
>In message <e5idnX1vE5hYBNjN...@vex.net>
> Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:
>> "Lewis":
>>> I have this one which is a nice long route without anomalies.
>>>
>>> [Key West to Cancun]
>>>
>>> How do I get the crow distance? I am guessing it's about 400 miles? SO
>>> that's only about 8:1, but it's a very long 8:1.
>
>> Also, they aren't on the same land mass
>
>North America is a land mass!

But you started on an island.

>> and they aren't both in
>> English-speaking countries.
>
>You've obviously never been to Cancun.

By a literal reading of the question, the chosen points are required to be in
*one* English-speaking country.

--
Alan Curry

Jerry Friedman

Sep 4, 2012, 9:53:25 AM9/4/12
On Sep 4, 3:28 am, pac...@kosh.dhis.org (Alan Curry) wrote:
> In article <slrnk4bfhg.aga.g.kr...@mbp55.local>,
>
> Lewis  <g.kr...@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:
> >In message <e5idnX1vE5hYBNjNnZ2dnUVZ_tWdn...@vex.net>
> >  Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:
> >> "Lewis":

Vinny explained it. You click on the "map labs" thing. In this case,
of course, it's the White-crowned Pigeon distance.

> >> Also, they aren't on the same land mass
>
> >North America is a land mass!
>
> But you started on an island.
>
> >> and they aren't both in
> >> English-speaking countries.
>
> >You've obviously never been to Cancun.
>
> By a literal reading of the question, the chosen points are required to be in
> *one* English-speaking country.

I hereby waive any such requirement. However, the points are required
to be in the countries I named.

Skitt

Sep 4, 2012, 1:38:17 PM9/4/12
Lewis wrote:

> I have this one which is a nice long route without anomalies.
>
> <http://goo.gl/maps/dL5ED>
>
> How do I get the crow distance? I am guessing it's about 400 miles? SO
> that's only about 8:1, but it's a very long 8:1.

See:
http://www.freemaptools.com/how-far-is-it-between.htm
for crow-fly distances.

[For Key West to Cancun]
Your estimate is pretty good, though. The distance is listed as being
396.621 miles.
--
Skitt (SF Bay Area)
http://come.to/skitt

Jerry Friedman

Sep 4, 2012, 2:35:50 PM9/4/12
On Sep 4, 11:59 am, Lewis <g.kr...@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:
> In message <k24hjj$ad...@speranza.aioe.org>
>   Alan Curry <pac...@kosh.dhis.org> wrote:
> > In article <slrnk4bfhg.aga.g.kr...@mbp55.local>,
> > Lewis  <g.kr...@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:

> >>North America is a land mass!
> > But you started on an island.
>
> I consider Key West to be part of the North American landmass,
> especially since you can get there by walking, riding a bike, or
> driving.

I can see your point, but I'd say bridges (and underwater tunnels)
don't change what's the same landmass and what isn't.

> If you have to sail or fly (like say to Puerto Rico, or
> Bermuda) then that's something else.

> Would you exclude a route that involved Manhattan and/or Long Island?

Yes.

> Are all bridges disallowed, or just some of them?

We're allowing the ones over rivers, bays, etc., that connect points
on the same landmass.

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. disallower

Evan Kirshenbaum

Sep 4, 2012, 2:59:42 PM9/4/12
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

> "Lewis":
>> I have this one which is a nice long route without anomalies.
>>
>> [Key West to Cancun]
>>
>> How do I get the crow distance? I am guessing it's about 400 miles? SO
>> that's only about 8:1, but it's a very long 8:1.
>
> Also, they aren't on the same land mass and they aren't both in
> English-speaking countries. But yes, it is a very long 8:1.
> (I make it 8.1:1, actually.)

Let's see.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Unknown+road&daddr=CA-1+N%2FShoreline+Hwy&hl=en&sll=38.176132,-122.923622&sspn=0.050402,0.110722&geocode=FaF8RgId0lGs-A%3BFRCTRgIdZpGs-A&mra=mift&mrsp=1&sz=14&t=m&z=14

is 25.7 miles around Tomales bay and a bit under a mile across, for a
ratio of about 26, but that's not 5 miles as the crow flies.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Unknown+road&daddr=41.254581,-112.495308&hl=en&geocode=FVDjdAIdaKlF-Q%3BFbV-dQIdNHVL-Q&doflg=ptk&mra=ls&t=m&z=10

is 150 miles around Great Salt Lake and 19.5 miles across, for a ratio
of 7.7.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=WI-42+S&daddr=M-35+N&hl=en&ll=44.962855,-87.536316&spn=1.451684,3.543091&geocode=FRSbsgIdbB7Q-g%3BFczWtAIdwvrK-g&doflg=ptm&mra=ls&t=m&z=9

is 161 miles around Green Bay and 19.3 miles across, for a ratio of
8.3

On a smaller scale, with about the same ratio

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=County+Road+22&daddr=NY-12E+S&hl=en&geocode=FX0uowIdjc1z-w%3BFWw1ogIdGvN0-w&doflg=ptm&mra=ls&t=m&z=11

is 47.1 miles around and 5.7 miles across.

Still with HP Labs |Reality is that which, when you
SF Bay Area (1982-) |stop believing in it, doesn't go
Chicago (1964-1982) |away.

evan.kir...@gmail.com | Philip K. Dick

http://www.kirshenbaum.net/

Mark Brader

Sep 4, 2012, 3:08:16 PM9/4/12
"Lewis":
> I consider Key West to be part of the North American landmass,

Sigh. What term, then, do you accept that makes it a separate *thing*?
--
Mark Brader "He added a 3-point lead" is pronounced
Toronto differently in Snooker than in Typography...

Mark Brader

Sep 4, 2012, 3:54:46 PM9/4/12
This doesn't beat the ratios already posted, but it's an interesting set:

A 38.28349,-109.96087
B 38.27506,-109.85974
C 38.17821,-109.81695

Go on, try them. Google Maps routing distances (it won't give me km, so
I'm using miles):

AB 254 miles, AC 209 miles, BC 148 miles.

Direct distances by my program to 2 decimal places:

AB 5.52 miles, AC 10.67 miles, BC 7.08 miles.

Ratios to 1 decimal place:

AB 46.0
AC 19.6
BC 20.9

AB+AC+BC 26.3

--
Mark Brader "Look, sir, we can't just do nothing."
Toronto "Why not? It's usually best."

Katy Jennison

Sep 4, 2012, 4:07:14 PM9/4/12
On 04/09/2012 07:59, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:

> I don't if there is a toll there now, but there certainly was in 1969.
> It was the most expensive bridge in the Bay Area (75c at a time when the
> others were 25c).

Bearing in mind that most things in the UK cost more than most things in
the US, it might be worth noting that there's a toll bridge near here
(in Oxfordshire) where cars, today, pay just 5p (slightly less than 8
cents).

--
Katy Jennison

Vinny Burgoo

Sep 4, 2012, 5:01:01 PM9/4/12
In alt.usage.english, Mark Brader wrote:
>This doesn't beat the ratios already posted, but it's an interesting set:
>
> A 38.28349,-109.96087
> B 38.27506,-109.85974
> C 38.17821,-109.81695
>
>Go on, try them. Google Maps routing distances (it won't give me km, so
>I'm using miles):
>
> AB 254 miles, AC 209 miles, BC 148 miles.
>
>Direct distances by my program to 2 decimal places:
>
> AB 5.52 miles, AC 10.67 miles, BC 7.08 miles.
>
>Ratios to 1 decimal place:
>
> AB 46.0
> AC 19.6
> BC 20.9
>
> AB+AC+BC 26.3

A-B is very nice.

There are some surprisingly long but nowhere-near-prize-winning loops in
the (US) Sierra Nevada(s?).

And by moving the Babine Lake points further north I managed to increase
the ratio to about 75:1. The annoying thing is that even further north
there are two non-intersecting tracks about five miles apart that
probably would have yielded a ratio in the hundreds but one of them
turned out to be a railway track and Google can't cope with them.

Pish! Pshaw!

--
VB

R H Draney

Sep 4, 2012, 5:22:56 PM9/4/12
Lewis filted:

>In message <e5idnX1vE5hYBNjN...@vex.net>
> Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:
>> "Lewis":
>>> I have this one which is a nice long route without anomalies.
>>>
>>> [Key West to Cancun]
>>>
>>> How do I get the crow distance? I am guessing it's about 400 miles? SO
>>> that's only about 8:1, but it's a very long 8:1.
>
>> Also, they aren't on the same land mass
>
>North America is a land mass!
>
>> and they aren't both in
>> English-speaking countries.
>
>You've obviously never been to Cancun.

How about Key West to Belize, then?...or to Guyana?...never said the entire
route had to remain in English-speaking countries, only the endpoints....r

Dr Nick

Sep 4, 2012, 5:43:07 PM9/4/12
And is privately owned and makes a profit after paying for repairs I
believe.

Evan Kirshenbaum

Sep 4, 2012, 5:45:51 PM9/4/12
Vinny Burgoo <hlu...@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> In alt.usage.english, Mark Brader wrote:
>>This doesn't beat the ratios already posted, but it's an interesting set:
>>
>> A 38.28349,-109.96087
>> B 38.27506,-109.85974
>> C 38.17821,-109.81695
>>
>>Go on, try them. Google Maps routing distances (it won't give me km, so
>>I'm using miles):
>>
>> AB 254 miles, AC 209 miles, BC 148 miles.
>>
>>Direct distances by my program to 2 decimal places:
>>
>> AB 5.52 miles, AC 10.67 miles, BC 7.08 miles.
>>
>>Ratios to 1 decimal place:
>>
>> AB 46.0
>> AC 19.6
>> BC 20.9
>>
>> AB+AC+BC 26.3
>
> A-B is very nice.

Ah, yes. That reminded me of

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Chain+of+Craters+Rd&daddr=Kaimu-Chain+of+Craters+Rd&hl=en&sll=19.326695,-154.999924&sspn=0.125378,0.221443&geocode=FUSPJgEdhp7B9g%3BFYAWJwEdyL_C9g&mra=dme&mrsp=1&sz=13&t=m&z=13

68.4 miles by road, 8.5 by direct distance. A little over 8 by ratio,
so not in contention, but one that actually affected us, as the lava
flow had shifted, and we didn't have time to drive around to the other
side.

Still with HP Labs |The misinformation that passes for
SF Bay Area (1982-) |gospel wisdom about English usage
Chicago (1964-1982) |is sometimes astounding.
| Merriam-Webster's Dictionary
evan.kir...@gmail.com | of English Usage

http://www.kirshenbaum.net/

Frank S

Sep 4, 2012, 6:50:40 PM9/4/12

"Vinny Burgoo" <hlu...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
This features more than one disqualifier, but may lead others to similars
more appropriate:

Lajitas, Texas, USA to Lajitas, Chihuahua, Mexico -- 843.056 meters

Via Farm to Market 170, US 67, and Chihuahua 67 -- 191 km, 4 hours 1 min

1 : 226.5567174659809

I have stood in the TX one and looked at the Chihuahua one when the Rio
Grande (/Rio Bravo/ for Mexicans) was as wide as it had ever been at that
point. When not flooding the distance across water is a third or less of the
total.

Looking from Texas to Mexico:
http://www.fototime.com/%7B67568FD5-122C-4DEA-9F8C-5E58D26C152D%7D/origpict/rioUp_8703.jpg

I won't argue the country thing, but there is no doubt in my mind the
/Chihuahue�os/ in Lajitas MX are English-speakers, if not actual Americans.
I saw a video about some USA- citizen artists who live in that area.

--
Frank ess

Charles Bishop

Sep 4, 2012, 8:18:37 PM9/4/12
In article <FPWdnSg1HNrbBdjN...@vex.net>, m...@vex.net (Mark
Brader) wrote:

>Charles Bishop:
>> Oh, wait, At the Grand Canyon, there is a route from the south rim to the
>> north rim where a road trip is something like 40 miles.
>
>Ahem!

Thanks. I ususlly can't get many of these, and was pleased to have thought
of this before you did.

--
charles

Charles Bishop

Sep 4, 2012, 8:20:58 PM9/4/12
In article <aaln6u...@mid.individual.net>, Athel Cornish-Bowden
The GG was $0.25? A lot of the bridges had tolls both ways until some
smart spark figured they could save a bunch if it was only one way. Clear
the traffic up too. I don't remember where they would have put the other
toll booths though, so I probably don't remember the geography that well.

--
charles

R H Draney

Sep 4, 2012, 10:08:55 PM9/4/12
Charles Bishop filted:
I think the throat-clearing was meant to call your attention to this:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.usage.english/msg/52cfbed43898bd00?dmode=source

Evan Kirshenbaum

Sep 4, 2012, 11:06:18 PM9/4/12
Jerry Friedman <je...@totally-official.com> writes:

> Find two points on the same land mass in one of the industrialized
> English-speaking countries, at least five miles (8 km) apart as the
> crow flies, for which the length of the route recommended by Google
> Maps exceeds that of the crow's route by the greatest ratio. The
> sheep will go to the person who has found the points with the greatest
> ratio when the competition ends.
>
> There must be a route recommended by Google Maps; the absence of a
> route does not count as infinite distance.
>
> The Totally Official industrialized English-speaking countries are
> Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa, the UK, and the
> US.

If you get rid of the "industrialized" requirement, there's a nice one
in Kenya

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Homa+Bay+-+Mbita+Rd%2FC+19&daddr=C28&hl=en&sll=-0.337865,34.632015&sspn=1.062894,1.771545&geocode=FUku-f8dn44KAg%3BFYoc-v8dZCALAg&doflg=ptm&mra=luc&t=m&z=10

around part of Lake Victoria. 155 miles around, almost exactly 5
miles across, for a ratio of 31.

Still with HP Labs |This gubblick contains many
SF Bay Area (1982-) |nonsklarkish English flutzpahs, but
Chicago (1964-1982) |the overall pluggandisp can be
evan.kir...@gmail.com |
| David Moser
http://www.kirshenbaum.net/

James Hogg

Sep 5, 2012, 2:07:01 AM9/5/12
The real challenge would be to find an example of Google suggesting a
shorter route than the crow's.

--
James

R H Draney

Sep 5, 2012, 3:57:04 AM9/5/12
James Hogg filted:

>The real challenge would be to find an example of Google suggesting a
>shorter route than the crow's.

Crows, in my experience, are not as single-minded in their travels as folklore
depicts....

Monarch butterflies, on the other hand, can exhibit what comes across as grim
determination....r

Mike L

Sep 5, 2012, 5:19:04 PM9/5/12
I remember a bridge somewhere whose toll, still collected, was fixed
at 1d. Near us on the Exe was a "Halfpenny Bridge" (pronounced
"hayp'ny bridge", of course), but they long since stopped charging.

--
Mike.

Snidely

Sep 6, 2012, 3:57:09 AM9/6/12
R H Draney noted that:
Well of course Mark didn't think of it until Chaz actually read the
post ... what sort of causality do you think this universe has?

/dps

--
Who, me? And what lacuna?

Snidely

Sep 6, 2012, 3:58:59 AM9/6/12
Lewis used his keyboard to write :

> Sadly, Google maps "avoid tolls" does not, in fact, avoid tolls.

and I used my monitor to read it as "avoid trolls".

/dps "a lexing error, not a parsing error"

Mike L

Sep 7, 2012, 3:29:15 PM9/7/12
Oops! I mean "...had long since stopped..." I think it must have been
adopted by the County Council.

--
Mike.

Katy Jennison

Sep 7, 2012, 4:23:03 PM9/7/12
There was a move for that to happen to this one when it was up for
sale in 2009, but the County Council didn't feel able to afford the 1.6
million quid being asked.

--
Katy Jennison

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Sep 8, 2012, 12:27:58 PM9/8/12
25c in each direction, yes. When they made it one way they put it to
50c. 75c for San Rafael - Richmond was 75c in each direction -- a
princely sum in 1968.

> A lot of the bridges had tolls both ways until some
> smart spark figured they could save a bunch if it was only one way. Clear
> the traffic up too. I don't remember where they would have put the other
> toll booths though, so I probably don't remember the geography that well.

--
athel

Charles Bishop

Sep 8, 2012, 1:48:46 PM9/8/12
Actually, I thought of it months or years ago, just didn't post until that
fateful day.

--
charles

Snidely

Sep 8, 2012, 5:16:35 PM9/8/12
Charles Bishop explained on 9/8/2012 :
Thus causing Mark to have posted his version.

/dps "it's all simple, really"

Charles Bishop

Sep 10, 2012, 12:49:46 AM9/10/12
It will had been all simple, really someday.

--
charles

Mark Brader

Sep 11, 2012, 4:10:03 AM9/11/12
Mark Brader:
>> From 36.07481,-112.15567 (a viewpoint on West Rim Drive on the
>> South Rim) to 36.18061,-112.12801 (Tiyo Point, or more precisely
>> the end of the Tiyo Point Road, on the North Rim). Google Maps
>> gives a route of 359 km; my program makes the straight distance
>> between those coordinates 12.024 km; that gives a ratio of 29.86.

Alan Curry:
> In the same part of the world, 36.222134, -113.144522 to 36.157896,
> -113.101963, straight line distance 5 miles (well, 5.027 but it's just a
> matter of fiddling with the endpoints; you can get under 3.5 miles just
> by following the roads to their ends), driving distance 439 miles, ratio
> 439/5 = 87.8

Well, I guess Alan is winning this sheep, but I would like to mention
that I've found one in a completely different place that beats my
version of the Grand Canyon answer.

45.37711,-64.42417 to 45.30805,-64.39213

289 km / 8.07 km = 35.8

This is one where a ferry *would* eliminate most of the distance, but
there happens not to be a ferry (that Google Maps knows about, anyway).
The Google Maps routing is also interesting because it goes almost via
Halifax instead of cutting across directly from Truro to Windsor, which
would only be 253 km -- but that's not an anomaly, it's just trying to
save an estimated 3 minutes on the 4-hour trip by using faster roads!
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | ... "reasonable system" is of course defined as
m...@vex.net | "any one *I've* ever used..." -- Steve Summit

Alan Curry

Sep 11, 2012, 5:32:24 PM9/11/12
In article <Cemdnd5asoRGbNPN...@vex.net>,
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:
>Mark Brader:
>>> From 36.07481,-112.15567 (a viewpoint on West Rim Drive on the
>>> South Rim) to 36.18061,-112.12801 (Tiyo Point, or more precisely
>>> the end of the Tiyo Point Road, on the North Rim). Google Maps
>>> gives a route of 359 km; my program makes the straight distance
>>> between those coordinates 12.024 km; that gives a ratio of 29.86.
>
>Alan Curry:
>> In the same part of the world, 36.222134, -113.144522 to 36.157896,
>> -113.101963, straight line distance 5 miles (well, 5.027 but it's just a
>> matter of fiddling with the endpoints; you can get under 3.5 miles just
>> by following the roads to their ends), driving distance 439 miles, ratio
>> 439/5 = 87.8
>
>Well, I guess Alan is winning this sheep, but I would like to mention
>that I've found one in a completely different place that beats my
>version of the Grand Canyon answer.
>
> 45.37711,-64.42417 to 45.30805,-64.39213
>
> 289 km / 8.07 km = 35.8

The best I did before stealing your Grand Canyon idea was Lake Fort Peck in
Montana:

47.67023, -107.66441 to 47.61803, -107.65340
From Fourchette Creek Recreation Area to Devils Creek State Recreation Area
(3.643 miles apart so not admissible until you wiggle the ends) driving
distance 235 miles.

You can actually get a better score going around the narrow end, but the
route doesn't look as pretty:

47.58863, -107.82191 to 47.51224, -107.82561

--
Alan Curry

Jerry Friedman

Sep 12, 2012, 12:48:34 AM9/12/12
On Sep 2, 12:03 am, pac...@kosh.dhis.org (Alan Curry) wrote:
> In article <DvWdnd6dhOC8Gd_NnZ2dnUVZ_v2dn...@vex.net>,
>
> Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:
> >Mark Brader:
> >> Ferries, don't talk to me about ferries.
>
> >No ferries across the Grand Canyon, though.
>
> >From 36.07481,-112.15567 (a viewpoint on West Rim Drive on the
> >South Rim) to 36.18061,-112.12801 (Tiyo Point, or more precisely
> >the end of the Tiyo Point Road, on the North Rim).  Google Maps
> >gives a route of 359 km; my program makes the straight distance
> >between those coordinates 12.024 km; that gives a ratio of 29.86.
>
> In the same part of the world, 36.222134, -113.144522 to 36.157896,
> -113.101963, straight line distance 5 miles (well, 5.027 but it's just a
> matter of fiddling with the endpoints; you can get under 3.5 miles just
> by following the roads to their ends), driving distance 439 miles, ratio
> 439/5 = 87.8
>
> Starting and ending in Arizona, goes through Las Vegas and part of Utah.

Thank you! (Somewhat belatedly.)

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O.Panelist

msh210

Sep 12, 2012, 6:15:18 PM9/12/12
On Sept. 2, 2012, Alan Curry abed:
> In the same part of the world, 36.222134, -113.144522 to 36.157896,
> -113.101963, straight line distance 5 miles (well, 5.027 but it's just a
> matter of fiddling with the endpoints; you can get under 3.5 miles just
> by following the roads to their ends), driving distance 439 miles, ratio
> 439/5 = 87.8
>
> Starting and ending in Arizona, goes through Las Vegas and part of Utah.

Thank you!

Michael Hamm
TO Panelist

Dr Nick

Sep 15, 2012, 3:33:11 AM9/15/12
There's a Ha'penny Bridge not that far from the one under discussion, at
Lechlade. The toll there (for people) was abolished in 1839 apparently.