=SDC= Q23: Quadruped

Jerry Friedman

Sep 2, 2012, 12:28:56 PM9/2/12
Recently in AUE, there was a discussion of "the fastest animals on
four legs". What animal on four legs makes the longest overland
migration?

--
Jerry Friedman

the Omrud

Sep 2, 2012, 2:52:59 PM9/2/12
On 02/09/2012 17:28, Jerry Friedman wrote:
> Recently in AUE, there was a discussion of "the fastest animals on
> four legs". What animal on four legs makes the longest overland
> migration?

Caribou.

--
David

R H Draney

Sep 2, 2012, 5:09:27 PM9/2/12
Jerry Friedman filted:

>Recently in AUE, there was a discussion of "the fastest animals on
>four legs". What animal on four legs makes the longest overland
>migration?

Every once in a while there are news stories of cats that find their way into
the wheelwells or cargo compartments of transcontinental jets and emerge at the
other end frightened, cold, hungry but otherwise sound....r

--
Me? Sarcastic?
Yeah, right.

Mike L

Sep 2, 2012, 6:54:03 PM9/2/12
On Sun, 2 Sep 2012 09:28:56 -0700 (PDT), Jerry Friedman
<je...@totally-official.com> wrote:

>Recently in AUE, there was a discussion of "the fastest animals on
>four legs". What animal on four legs makes the longest overland
>migration?

Caribou. (If this isn't a trap for the simple-minded.)

--
Mike.

Jerry Friedman

Sep 2, 2012, 10:43:49 PM9/2/12
This question has some connection to dietary laws that have been
discussed on a.u.e.

--
Jerry Friedman
Message has been deleted

James Hogg

Sep 4, 2012, 4:29:16 AM9/4/12
Lewis wrote:
> In message <4aa48b88-6c48-401a...@o8g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>
> Jerry Friedman <je...@totally-official.com> wrote:
>> Recently in AUE, there was a discussion of "the fastest animals on
>> four legs". What animal on four legs makes the longest overland
>> migration?
>
> Erm. The Serengeti migration is called the longest int he world, and
> includes zebras, & wildebeests (WHY is that not spelt 'beasts', WHY?!??)

And you have no objection to the "e" between "wild" and "beasts"? I
blame the Afrikaners for it all.

--
James
Message has been deleted

Vinny Burgoo

Sep 4, 2012, 6:04:38 AM9/4/12
The Chinook salmon?

--
VB

CDB

Sep 4, 2012, 6:21:43 AM9/4/12
On 04/09/2012 4:26 AM, Lewis wrote:
> In message <bea238a6-c34a-49aa...@z17g2000yqk.googlegroups.com>
> Are you suggesting that corn is migratory?

Are you suggesting that the kangaroo is a quadruped? OK, me too.

Cheryl

Sep 4, 2012, 6:58:36 AM9/4/12
On 2012-09-04 5:55 AM, Lewis wrote:
> In message <4aa48b88-6c48-401a...@o8g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>
> Jerry Friedman <je...@totally-official.com> wrote:
>> Recently in AUE, there was a discussion of "the fastest animals on
>> four legs". What animal on four legs makes the longest overland
>> migration?
>
> Erm. The Serengeti migration is called the longest int he world, and
> includes zebras, & wildebeests (WHY is that not spelt 'beasts', WHY?!??)
> moving about 1500 miles, but the Caribou in Canada migrate 2,000 miles,
> so I don't get how the Serengeti can get all uppity about being the
> longest.
>
> I'm sure I missed something.

It's like 'oldest city in North America' - a simple matter to
determined, but when do you start counting? When it became a city or
when someone pitched a tent there? Does it matter if it's still a city,
and if so, what definition of 'city' do you use?

I don't know how there can be two longest migrations, but in the case of
the caribou, I think the length of migration depends partly on which
herd you pick. There's more than one.

--
Cheryl

Vinny Burgoo

Sep 4, 2012, 7:26:53 AM9/4/12
In alt.usage.english, Vinny Burgoo wrote:
>In alt.usage.english, Jerry Friedman wrote:
>>On Sep 2, 4:54�pm, Mike L <n...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>> On Sun, 2 Sep 2012 09:28:56 -0700 (PDT), Jerry Friedman

>>> Caribou. (If this isn't a trap for the simple-minded.)
>>
>>This question has some connection to dietary laws that have been
>>discussed on a.u.e.
>
>The Chinook salmon?

I'd say locusts but they are on four legs during only the early stages
of their migrations.

--
VB

Bart Dinnissen

Sep 4, 2012, 1:23:44 PM9/4/12
On Tue, 4 Sep 2012 08:25:23 +0000 (UTC), in alt.usage.english Lewis
<g.k...@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:

>wildebeests (WHY is that not spelt 'beasts', WHY?!??)

Must be Afrikaans. For me, being a dutchman, it looks very familiar.

Wild Beasts = wilde beesten, in Dutch.

So only the plural is different; I would say beesten and the Afrikaner
says beests.

--
Bart Dinnissen

Po�zie, zo moeilijk niet, op alles rijmt wel iets.
Behalve dan op waterfiets, op waterfiets rijmt niets.
- Herman Finkers

Mike L

Sep 4, 2012, 3:52:45 PM9/4/12
On Tue, 4 Sep 2012 08:59:11 +0000 (UTC), Lewis
<g.k...@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:

>In message <k24e5n$2ha$1...@dont-email.me>
>No, because it is not pronounced "wild beasts" but "will-da-beasts", so it's the spurious 'a' that ticks me off.

But it isn't an "a". I give it a sort of short "e". Oxford schwas it,
though that isn't an "a", either. And I "v" the "w", too.

>> blame the Afrikaners for it all.
>
>I had something clever to say here, but a person from Porlock just
>knocked on my door and now it's gone.
>
>Bloody Porlock!

That bloke can really shift, can't he? He's always turning up here. I
suspect he's allowed the use of Dasher and Dancer and the guys in the
off-season.

--
Mike.

R H Draney

Sep 4, 2012, 10:13:59 PM9/4/12
Vinny Burgoo filted:
I suppose if Costco can sell halibut cheeks and cod loins, salmon feet isn't
entirely out of the question....r

abc

Sep 5, 2012, 4:13:40 AM9/5/12
Lewis wrote:
> In message<4aa48b88-6c48-401a...@o8g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>
> Jerry Friedman<je...@totally-official.com> wrote:
>> Recently in AUE, there was a discussion of "the fastest animals on
>> four legs". What animal on four legs makes the longest overland
>> migration?
> includes zebras,& wildebeests (WHY is that not spelt 'beasts', WHY?!??)

It's still easier to pronounce than the 'G' in 'gnu'.
abc

Paul Wolff

Sep 5, 2012, 6:06:39 AM9/5/12
In message <k26ch...@drn.newsguy.com>, R H Draney
<dado...@spamcop.net> writes
I'd like to think that there's a four-legged parasite that rides the
caribou and wanders off a few feet further at each end of each trip.

Absent the hitchhiker, I'll go for a camel. Bactrian, on the basis that
there aren't any wild Arabian camels left, and being driven anywhere
shouldn't count as migration.
--
Paul

Guy Barry

Sep 5, 2012, 6:15:18 AM9/5/12

"Lewis" wrote in message news:slrnk4benk....@mbp55.local...

> Erm. The Serengeti migration is called the longest int he world, and
> includes zebras, & wildebeests (WHY is that not spelt 'beasts', WHY?!??)

Because the name comes from Afrikaans.

--
Guy Barry

Guy Barry

Sep 5, 2012, 7:12:46 AM9/5/12

"abc" wrote in message news:k271jq$9gv$1...@news.albasani.net...

> It's still easier to pronounce than the 'G' in 'gnu'.

Flanders and Swann have a lot to answer for.

--
Guy Barry

Jerry Friedman

Sep 5, 2012, 9:27:34 AM9/5/12
Getting close...

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. hinter

Katy Jennison

Sep 5, 2012, 11:11:25 AM9/5/12
Not the Monarch butterfly, is it?

--
Katy Jennison

Jerry Friedman

Sep 5, 2012, 11:59:40 AM9/5/12
Thank you!

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. Panelist

Mike L

Sep 7, 2012, 3:43:27 PM9/7/12
I had to wikipee this, and am duly impressed with the knowledge and
astonished by the four-footedness, but not as astonished as on finding
that the thing's even got to A&NZ.

--
Mike.

Peter Moylan

Sep 8, 2012, 3:24:29 AM9/8/12
That is the end of the gnus, here again are the head lions.

--
Peter Moylan, Newcastle, NSW, Australia. http://www.pmoylan.org
For an e-mail address, see my web page.

Charles Bishop

Sep 10, 2012, 1:03:41 AM9/10/12
In article
<78089691-ea64-4d65...@s9g2000pbh.googlegroups.com>, Jerry
Friedman <je...@totally-official.com> wrote:

>On Sep 5, 9:11=A0am, Katy Jennison <k...@spamtrap.kjennison.com> wrote:

>> > Getting close...
>>
>> Not the Monarch butterfly, is it?
>
>Thank you!

It's my understanding that the migration is done in stages. That is the
butterfly that starts off isn't the one that finishes, but another, born
along the route.

Am I wrong?

--
charles

Jerry Friedman

Sep 10, 2012, 12:29:45 AM9/10/12
On Sep 9, 10:11 pm, ctbis...@earthlink.net (Charles Bishop) wrote:
> In article
> <78089691-ea64-4d65-a0f9-7274f0e80...@s9g2000pbh.googlegroups.com>, Jerry
A book from the U. S. Forest Service says one generation does the
whole southward migration and starts the northward migration, but it
takes three or four generations to reach the northern U. S. and
Canada.

http://books.google.com/books?id=kDJVANXhA6gC&pg=PA6

(The part about that generation starting the northward migration is on
page 3.)

--
Jerry Friedman

Charles Bishop

Sep 13, 2012, 10:29:50 PM9/13/12
In article
<ff64ab1f-80d6-4ff7...@l14g2000yqo.googlegroups.com>, Jerry
Friedman <jerry_f...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Sep 9, 10:11=A0pm, ctbis...@earthlink.net (Charles Bishop) wrote:

[snip Monarch Butterfly migration]

>> It's my understanding that the migration is done in stages. That is the
>> butterfly that starts off isn't the one that finishes, but another, born
>> along the route.
>>
>> Am I wrong?
>
>A book from the U. S. Forest Service says one generation does the
>whole southward migration and starts the northward migration, but it
>takes three or four generations to reach the northern U. S. and
>Canada.

This sounds odd, but who am I to argue with the USFS and its books.

>http://books.google.com/books?id=3DkDJVANXhA6gC&pg=3DPA6
>
>(The part about that generation starting the northward migration is on
>page 3.)

Do they offer any theories on why the difference? I thought of one. On the
nortward migration, the butterflies have to rely on the milkweed plant.
Perhaps the different blooming times restricts the travel of one
generation.

--
charles

Snidely

Sep 18, 2012, 4:55:21 PM9/18/12
Charles Bishop formulated the question :
BTW, I am revelling in the chance during my lunch break to watch the
Dance of the Monarchs in the garden ... they are very acrobatic flyers,
and in pursuit mode surprisingly quick.

/dps

--
Who, me? And what lacuna?