=SDC= Q34: When Ulysses Left Langley

Vinny Burgoo

Aug 21, 2011, 6:31:09 AM8/21/11

Harrison Hill

Aug 21, 2011, 11:10:32 AM8/21/11

I know I am never going to get the other questions right; I don't
understand the clues and when I look up the words I don't understand,
I don't understand their explanation! This one however annoys me
because it is a level playing field for everyone, and I am no better
here than anywhere else.

The shadows in the third pic suggest to me that everything (apart from
the buildings) is low to the ground; and that made me wonder if those
rectangular white things (all pointing in the same direction...hmm!)
might be sheep. That this is a US sheep farm for farm research.

Thanks Vinnie and Jerry (and all you others who know who you are) for
putting so much time and effort into such a challenging quiz. My
search during this task brought me to this aerial photo from a British
farm:

http://tinyurl.com/6fpys8m

Snidely

Aug 22, 2011, 1:51:15 AM8/22/11

Clearly a hyphenation station

/dps

Peter Moylan

Aug 22, 2011, 2:39:28 AM8/22/11

Whatever it is, they need to straighten up the nets on the tennis courts.

--
Peter Moylan, Newcastle, NSW, Australia. http://www.pmoylan.org
For an e-mail address, see my web page.

Harrison Hill

Aug 22, 2011, 4:00:56 AM8/22/11
On Aug 22, 7:39 am, Peter Moylan <inva...@peter.pmoylan.org.invalid>
wrote:

> Snidely wrote:
> > On Aug 21, 3:31 am, Vinny Burgoo <hlu...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> >> What is this SDC-related location?
>
> >>http://alt-usage-english.org/sdc2011/gmaps1.jpg
>
> >>http://alt-usage-english.org/sdc2011/gmaps2.jpg
>
> >>http://alt-usage-english.org/sdc2011/gmaps3.jpg
>
> > Clearly a hyphenation station
>
> Whatever it is, they need to straighten up the nets on the tennis courts.

All the images have been hand-retouched and the first seems to have
been issued by the USDA Farm Service Agency. The rectangles in picture
two are in a different part of their field than in three - and are now
pointing in different directions! - so I'm guessing they are temporary
shelters for the animals. Maybe your "tennis courts" are feeding
troughs, and the prevailing wind dictates their general slant. This
has to be a "sheep farm" (to make good the SDC connection) and you can
actually see sheep in picture two if you inject enough opium into
yourself and half-close your eyes.

Harrison Hill

Aug 22, 2011, 4:12:17 AM8/22/11

I don't know about "When Ulysses left Langley" but when "When Ulysses
left Polyphemus" it was attached to the underside of a sheep,
according to this link:

http://historylink102.com/greece2/odysseus.htm

Jeffrey Turner

Aug 22, 2011, 11:32:18 PM8/22/11

Ulysses was a spacecraft sent to study the Sun. Langley is an AFB
associated with the US space program. Ulysses went past Jupiter.
I hope that helps someone.

--Jeff

Jeffrey Turner

Aug 23, 2011, 12:47:05 AM8/23/11

Is it Kitt Peak Observatory or the National Solar Observatory, it looks
like it could be Arizona.

--Jeff

Harrison Hill

Aug 23, 2011, 1:50:02 AM8/23/11

This is Kitt Peak:

http://tinyurl.com/3vb5x65

The Sacramento National Solar Observatory is in a forest:

http://tinyurl.com/3mgercv

"Particle collectors" and sheep shelters seem to be constructed from
the same old bits of wood:

http://tinyurl.com/3t6oj48

Vinny Burgoo

Aug 24, 2011, 10:47:15 AM8/24/11

James Hogg

Aug 24, 2011, 10:55:10 AM8/24/11

Aue in Austria is known for producing pitch.

--
James

the Omrud

Aug 24, 2011, 11:00:12 AM8/24/11

How about Caribou-Targhee National Forest? No idea why though. I
suppose there may be sheep within.

--
David

James Hogg

Aug 24, 2011, 11:03:52 AM8/24/11

Targhee is indeed a breed of sheep.

--
James

franzi

Aug 24, 2011, 1:39:29 PM8/24/11
the Omrud <usenet...@gmail.com> wrote
Good lead. The actual location is in Google Maps at
44.241264,-112.196503

It is the U.S. Sheep Experiment Station.

That's like a thought experiment station for woolly thinkers.

--
franzi

Jerry Friedman

Aug 24, 2011, 2:19:38 PM8/24/11
On Aug 24, 11:39 am, franzi <et.in.arcadia.fra...@googlemail.com>
wrote:
> the Omrud <usenet.om...@gmail.com> wrote

Thank you!

> That's like a thought experiment station for woolly thinkers.

If we knew any.

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. Panelist

Jerry Friedman

Aug 26, 2011, 12:18:04 AM8/26/11
On Aug 24, 12:19 pm, Jerry Friedman <je...@totally-official.com>
wrote:

Your experimental Cormo is on its way, as is an experimental Katahdin
for Harrison Hill, who got almost all of the answer.

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. wondering when we started have sheep stations in
this hemisphere.

Snidely

Aug 26, 2011, 1:50:12 AM8/26/11
Jerry Friedman <je...@totally-official.com> scribbled something like ...

[sig hopping:]

> Jerry Friedman, T. O. wondering when we started have sheep stations in
> this hemisphere.

I'm not sure, because they don't seem to have a history page on their part
of the web site, but a little to the west:

<quote>
The Burns location, established in 1912, was first called the Harney Branch
Station. The Squaw Butte Range Livestock Station was subsequently created
by the U. S. Department of Agriculture in 1935.
</quote>
Earl: <http://www.ars.usda.gov/main/site_main.htm?modecode=53-60-00-00>

/dps

Jeffrey Turner

Aug 26, 2011, 4:34:17 PM8/26/11

What's it got to do with Ulysses and Langley?

Jerry Friedman

Aug 26, 2011, 5:48:17 PM8/26/11
On Aug 26, 2:34 pm, Jeffrey Turner <jtur...@localnet.com> wrote:
> On 8/24/2011 1:39 PM, franzi wrote:
> > the Omrud<usenet.om...@gmail.com>  wrote

"Ly", the symbol for a langley (a unit of solar irradiation), is
removed from "Ulysses".

And thanks to the Omrud for teamwork.

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O., Panelist

Snidely

Aug 26, 2011, 8:38:17 PM8/26/11
Jerry Friedman <jerry_f...@yahoo.com> scribbled something like ...

> On Aug 26, 2:34 pm, Jeffrey Turner <jtur...@localnet.com> wrote:
>> On 8/24/2011 1:39 PM, franzi wrote:

[...]

>> > It is the U.S. Sheep Experiment Station.
>>
>> > That's like a thought experiment station for woolly thinkers.
>>
>> What's it got to do with Ulysses and Langley?
>
> "Ly", the symbol for a langley (a unit of solar irradiation), is
> removed from "Ulysses".

Would it be T.O. for me groan at this point?

> And thanks to the Omrud for teamwork.

Shear genius!

/dps

John Holmes

Sep 5, 2011, 9:29:21 AM9/5/11
Jerry Friedman wrote:
> On Aug 24, 11:39 am, franzi <et.in.arcadia.fra...@googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>> the Omrud <usenet.om...@gmail.com> wrote
>>
>>> How about Caribou-Targhee National Forest? No idea why though. I
>>> suppose there may be sheep within.
>>
>> Good lead. The actual location is in Google Maps at
>> 44.241264,-112.196503
>>
>> It is the U.S. Sheep Experiment Station.
>
> Thank you!

Did anyone work out exactly what the crooked tennis nets are?

--
Regards
John

Snidely

Sep 5, 2011, 8:19:52 PM9/5/11
"John Holmes" <s...@sig.instead> scribbled something like ...

> Jerry Friedman wrote:
>> On Aug 24, 11:39 am, franzi <et.in.arcadia.fra...@googlemail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> the Omrud <usenet.om...@gmail.com> wrote

>>> Good lead. The actual location is in Google Maps at
>>> 44.241264,-112.196503
>>>
>>> It is the U.S. Sheep Experiment Station.
>>
>> Thank you!
>
> Did anyone work out exactly what the crooked tennis nets are?

My guess is feeding or watering troughs. But I need a closer picture to be
sure.

/dps