=SDC= Q31: Diminutive form

Jerry Friedman

Sep 3, 2012, 12:47:06 PM9/3/12
The following poems are three examples of a particular format (not a
haiku). What's it called?

Inebriation
Drunk again
I can't stop
Or maybe I should
Try

Imprudence
Gnomic wisdom
Elfin safety regulations
Don't feed the trolls
Brownies

Word
And another
Add a third
Then the fourth one
Finish

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. Panelist

Andrew B

Sep 3, 2012, 4:36:47 PM9/3/12
On 03/09/2012 17:47, Jerry Friedman wrote:
> The following poems are three examples of a particular format (not a
> haiku). What's it called?

Elfchen?

Jerry Friedman

Sep 3, 2012, 4:53:41 PM9/3/12
Thank you!

By the way, tonight's set of questions will be the last. The
competition will continue for a few more days to give people a chance
to answer the remaining questions.

Alec Kojaev

Sep 3, 2012, 5:31:47 PM9/3/12
On Mon, 03 Sep 2012 09:47:06 -0700 in
8f19ec9f-0703-4fc3...@u15g2000yql.googlegroups.com, Jerry
Friedman wrote:

> The following poems are three examples of a particular format (not a
> haiku). What's it called?

Cinquain.

Isabelle Cecchini

Sep 4, 2012, 12:47:46 PM9/4/12
Le 03/09/2012 18:47, Jerry Friedman a �crit :
> The following poems are three examples of a particular format (not a
> haiku). What's it called?
>
> Inebriation
> Drunk again
> I can't stop
> Or maybe I should
> Try

The first elfchen --as I now know it's called-- is also an acrostic, and
a clever one at that, since it's quite a good take on the subject matter.

Dare I ask if that was a clever ploy to throw us all on a false scent?

--
Isabelle Cecchini

James Hogg

Sep 4, 2012, 1:05:32 PM9/4/12
Acrostics add another dimension to the format. Here's one written by a
friend in anticipation of a reunion in Finland:

Steaming
Amongst others,
Undressed and sweating;
Not your normal British
Ablution.

--
James

Katy Jennison

Sep 4, 2012, 4:28:04 PM9/4/12
Nice.

I was also led down a blind alley by the acrostic.

--
Katy Jennison

James Hogg

Sep 4, 2012, 4:35:30 PM9/4/12