=SDC= Q43: I Love You

Vinny Burgoo

Aug 22, 2011, 6:03:21 AM8/22/11
Why do eggrolls remind a Panel(l)ist of edible bosons?

--
VB
T. O. Panellist

franzi

Aug 22, 2011, 7:58:09 AM8/22/11
Vinny Burgoo <hlu...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote

>Why do eggrolls remind a Panel(l)ist of edible bosons?

Because the cook has to glue-on the edge of the wrapper to stop it
unwrapping in the hot frying oil...
--
franzi

CDB

Aug 23, 2011, 10:53:54 PM8/23/11
Vinny Burgoo wrote:
> Why do eggrolls remind a Panel(l)ist of edible bosons?

Because any number of them can occupy the same stomach? Wait, that's
angels. As you were.

msh210

Aug 24, 2011, 12:46:10 AM8/24/11
On Aug 22, Vinny Burgoo, TO Panelist, abed:

> Why do eggrolls remind a Panel(l)ist of edible bosons?

This question has something to do with a woman who died of lung cancer
in 1970.

Michael Hamm
TO Panelist

Dr Peter Young

Aug 24, 2011, 3:22:14 AM8/24/11

> Michael Hamm
> TO Panelist

HeLa

Peter.

(US equivalent: Certified Anesthesiologist)
http://pnyoung.orpheusweb.co.uk

James Hogg

Aug 24, 2011, 5:17:02 AM8/24/11
msh210 wrote:
> On Aug 22, Vinny Burgoo, TO Panelist, abed:
>> Why do eggrolls remind a Panel(l)ist of edible bosons?
>
> This question has something to do with a woman who died of lung cancer
> in 1970.

That's Gypsy Rose Lee. The musical about her has a song entitled "Mr.
Goldstone, I Love You" with the line "Have an eggroll, Mr. Goldstone"
and there's a Goldstone boson.

--
James

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Aug 24, 2011, 5:41:08 AM8/24/11
On 2011-08-24 09:22:14 +0200, Dr Peter Young <pny...@ormail.co.uk> said:

> On 24 Aug 2011 msh210 <msh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Aug 22, Vinny Burgoo, TO Panelist, abed:
>>> Why do eggrolls remind a Panel(l)ist of edible bosons?
>
>> This question has something to do with a woman who died of lung cancer
>> in 1970.
>
>> Michael Hamm
>> TO Panelist
>
> HeLa

Henrietta Lacks died much earlier than 1970 (about 1948, I think) and
she didn't die from lung cancer (cervical, I think).

--
athel

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Aug 24, 2011, 5:43:23 AM8/24/11
On 2011-08-22 13:58:09 +0200, franzi
<et.in.arca...@googlemail.com> said:

Still, I like franzi's answer better (though I'm not sure that gluons
are bosons -- one of our physicists will know, Jan, perhaps, though
this may be too frivolous for him).

--
athel

the Omrud

Aug 24, 2011, 7:25:29 AM8/24/11

Damn, I'd got all that except for the last five words.

--
David

Jerry Friedman

Aug 24, 2011, 8:56:45 AM8/24/11
On Aug 24, 3:43 am, Athel Cornish-Bowden <athel...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On 2011-08-22 13:58:09 +0200, franzi
> <et.in.arcadia.fra...@googlemail.com> said:
>
> > Vinny Burgoo <hlu...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote
> >> Why do eggrolls remind a Panel(l)ist of edible bosons?
>
> > Because the cook has to glue-on the edge of the wrapper to stop it
> > unwrapping in the hot frying oil...
>
> Still, I like franzi's answer better (though I'm not sure that gluons
> are bosons -- one of our physicists will know, Jan, perhaps, though
> this may be too frivolous for him).

They are, totally officially. All the particles that carry forces--
photons, the W and Z, gluons, and the legendary spin-2 graviton--are
bosons.

--
Jerry Friedman

Jerry Friedman

Aug 24, 2011, 9:00:31 AM8/24/11

Thank you!

There are lots of Goldstone bosons. Any phase transition with
spontaneous symmetry breaking produces one or more, unless they're
"eaten" by the Higgs mechanism.

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. Panelist, hopes that clears things up.

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Aug 24, 2011, 11:27:27 AM8/24/11

I seem to have posted the message you quote as a response to the wrong
message. It was supposed to be a reply to James (whose answer I thought
was probably the right one, though less appealing than franzi's).

--
athel

Jerry Friedman

Aug 28, 2011, 11:33:07 PM8/28/11
On Aug 24, 7:00 am, Jerry Friedman <je...@totally-official.com> wrote:
> On Aug 24, 3:17 am, James Hogg <Jas.H...@gOUTmail.com> wrote:
>
> > msh210 wrote:
> > > On Aug 22, Vinny Burgoo, TO Panelist, abed:
>
> > > This question has something to do with a woman who died of lung cancer
> > > in 1970.
>
> > That's Gypsy Rose Lee. The musical about her has a song entitled "Mr.
> > Goldstone, I Love You" with the line "Have an eggroll, Mr. Goldstone"
> > and there's a Goldstone boson.
>
> Thank you!

Have a Cormo, Mr. Hogg!

--