=SDC= Q11: Joke

Jerry Friedman

Sep 1, 2012, 1:11:36 AM9/1/12
1996 comedy. 1994 comedy. 1945 Western. Go as far as the equator
and as far again and then turn left onto the parallel, going about
1362 miles along a rhumb line to a town that looks like it might be
named after a frustum but which is frequently called by just part of
its name, autologically. What's missing is also the dative and
ablative case of a Latin word for a family of animals whose taxonomic
name is derived from that Latin word. One famous member of the family
first appeared six years before gas, in a film of a name that serves
as the first line. Give an example of the next four.

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. Panelist

Vinny Burgoo

Sep 2, 2012, 2:44:18 PM9/2/12
_Free Willy 2: The Adventure Home_?

--
VB

Jerry Friedman

Sep 7, 2012, 1:56:10 PM9/7/12
On Aug 31, 11:11 pm, Jerry Friedman <je...@totally-official.com>
wrote:
The 1996 comedy was written, produced, and directed by two brothers.

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. hinter by request

James Hogg

Sep 7, 2012, 3:02:34 PM9/7/12
That was about as far as I had got without assistance: Fargo. Possibly
linked to a 1945 western titled Dakota. I got hopelessly lost after that.

I've been through every family of animals in search of a Latin word that
might be omitted from the name of a town, but no luck.

The frustum is particularly frustrating.

--
James

Vinny Burgoo

Sep 7, 2012, 5:25:47 PM9/7/12
In alt.usage.english, James Hogg wrote:
>Jerry Friedman wrote:
>> On Aug 31, 11:11 pm, Jerry Friedman <je...@totally-official.com>

I've just cracked that apart after spending ages staring at Comodoro
Rivadivia. I hadn't zoomed the map in far enough: Pico Truncado.

I can't trace an exact path from there, so I'll just guess: Mr Gipper.

--
VB

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Sep 8, 2012, 12:19:55 PM9/8/12
Hmm. That must cause ribald remarks in Chile (where "pico" means "penis").

> I can't trace an exact path from there, so I'll just guess: Mr Gipper.

--
athel

Vinny Burgoo

Sep 8, 2012, 1:27:12 PM9/8/12
Ouch!

But thanks for that. You prompted me to do further googling ...

>> I can't trace an exact path from there, so I'll just guess: Mr
>>Gipper.

... and it turns out that Pico Truncado is usually shortened to Truncado
rather than Pico, so the animals are woodpeckers, not dolphins.

Oh gawd, I can only guess again. Minnie Woodpecker?

--
VB

James Hogg

Sep 8, 2012, 1:52:03 PM9/8/12
Woody Woodpecker first appeared in the film "Knock, Knock", which could
be the Joke in the slug.

--
James

James Hogg

Sep 8, 2012, 1:54:10 PM9/8/12
So an example of the next four lines would be: "Who's there?"

--
James

Snidely

Sep 8, 2012, 2:23:31 PM9/8/12
Vinny Burgoo explained :
The genus of some woodpeckers is _picoides_, of the family _picidae_,
so I'm not keeping up with how Truncado helps.

> Oh gawd, I can only guess again. Minnie Woodpecker?

Well, I see in another post that someone has watched the right
cartoons.

But it is a dazzling picture: Woodie's sister with mouse ears!

/dps

--
Who, me? And what lacuna?

Jerry Friedman

Sep 8, 2012, 2:39:13 PM9/8/12
We're looking for an example of the whole set of four lines.

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. Panelist

James Hogg

Sep 8, 2012, 2:42:14 PM9/8/12
Isobel.

--
James

James Hogg

Sep 8, 2012, 2:42:34 PM9/8/12
Isobel who?

--
James

James Hogg

Sep 8, 2012, 2:43:26 PM9/8/12
Is a bell necessary on a bicycle when your knickers are wringing?

--
James

Jerry Friedman

Sep 8, 2012, 2:44:25 PM9/8/12