Drink up vs. drink off

Marius Hancu

Jan 15, 2007, 1:21:30 PM1/15/07
Hello:

Any major differences you see between "drink up" and "drink off?"

We have both here. Do they both mean "finish drinking that particular
glass of whisky?"

--------
[Jack has finally realized what kind of man Tiny Duffy really is
... and is full of spite towards him]

"So now I am going to drink up your whisky and spit in the glass and
go."

So I drank off the whisky, dropped the glass on the floor (on the
thick rug it didn't break), and started for the door.

All the King's Men, by Robert Penn Warren, p. 594
-------

Thanks.
Marius Hancu

mike.j...@gmail.com

Jan 15, 2007, 1:28:55 PM1/15/07

Marius Hancu wrote:
> Hello:
>
> Any major differences you see between "drink up" and "drink off?"

"drink up" means "finish", while "drink off" means "drink in one
draught"

UsingEnglish.com says:

Drink up

Meaning: Finish a drink

Example: DRINK UP, please; it's closing time.

Online dictionary says:

Drink off

to drink completely, especially at one draught

R H Draney

Jan 15, 2007, 3:38:04 PM1/15/07
mike.j...@gmail.com filted:

>Drink up
>
>Meaning: Finish a drink

To "drink sth up" means exactly the same thing as to "drink sth down"....

Silly old language!...r

--
"Keep your eye on the Bishop. I want to know when
he makes his move", said the Inspector, obliquely.

Skitt

Jan 15, 2007, 4:21:00 PM1/15/07
R H Draney wrote:
> mike.j...@gmail.com filted:

>> Drink up
>>
>> Meaning: Finish a drink
>
> To "drink sth up" means exactly the same thing as to "drink sth
> down"....
>
> Silly old language!...r

Yes, but it is "drink up" and "drink *it* down", right?

Bottoms up!
--
Skitt (in Hayward, California)
http://www.geocities.com/opus731/

R H Draney

Jan 15, 2007, 4:47:54 PM1/15/07
Skitt filted:

>R H Draney wrote:
>> mike.j...@gmail.com filted:
>
>>> Drink up
>>>
>>> Meaning: Finish a drink
>>
>> To "drink sth up" means exactly the same thing as to "drink sth
>> down"....
>>
>> Silly old language!...r
>
>Yes, but it is "drink up" and "drink *it* down", right?
>
>Bottoms up!

(Laura, look away now!)...

Bruder bought a coconut, he bought it for a dime,
His sister had anudder one she paid it for de lime.
She put de lime in de coconut, she drank 'em bot' up
She put de lime in de coconut, she drank 'em bot' up.
She put de lime in de coconut, she drank 'em bot' up
She put de lime in de coconut, she call de doctor, woke 'im up,
Said "doctor, ain't there nothin' I can take?"
I said "Doctor, to relieve this belly ache,"
I said "Doctor, ain't there nothin' I can take?"
I said "Doctor, to relieve this belly ache."
Now lemme get this straight,
You put de lime in de coconut, you drank 'em bot' up,
You put de lime in de coconut, you drank 'em bot' up,
You put de lime in de coconut, you drank 'em bot' up,
You put de lime in de coconut, you call your doctor, woke 'im up,
Said " Doctor, ain't there nothing' I can take?"
I said, "Doctor, to relieve this belly ache."
I said "Doctor, ain't there nothin' I can take?'
I said, "Doctor, to relieve this belly ache,"
You put de lime in de coconut, you drink 'em bot' togedder
Put de lime in de coconut and you'll feel better,
Put de lime in de coconut, drink 'em bot' up,
Put de lime in de coconut and call me in the morning."
Woo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo.
Oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo.
Brudder bought a coconut, he bought it for a dime,
His sister had anudder one she paid it for a lime.
She put de lime in de coconut, she drank 'em bot' up
She put de lime in de coconut and called de doctor, woke 'im up.
And said, "Doctor, ain't there nothin' I can take?'
I said, "Doctor, to relieve this belly ache."
I said "Doctor, ain't there nothin' I can take?"
I said, "Doctor, now lemme get this straight,
You put the lime in the coconut, you drink 'em bot'up,
Put the lime in the coconut, you drink 'em bot' up,
Put the lime in the coconut, you drink 'em bot' up,
Put the lime in the coconut. You're such a silly woman.
Put a lime in the coconut and drink 'em bot' together
Put the lime in the coconut, then you'll feel better.
Put the lime in the coconut, drink 'em both down,
Put the lime in your coconut, and call me in the morning,
Woo--ain't there nothin' you can take?
I say, woo--to relieve your belly ache,
You say, well woo--ain't there nothin' I can take?
I say woo--woo, to relieve your belly ache,
You say yow--ain't there nothin' I can take,
I say wow--to relieve this belly ache,
I said "Doctor, ain't there nothing I can take,"
I said, "Doctor, ain't there nothing I can take,"
I said, "Doctor, ain't there nothing I can take,"
I said, "Doctor you're such a silly woman.
Put the lime in the coconut and drink 'em both together,
Put the lime in the coconut, and you'll feel better,
Put the lime in the coconut and drink 'em bot' up,
Put the lime in the coconut and call me in the morning.
Yes, you call me in the morning, You call me in the morning,
I'll tell you what to do if you call me in the morning.
I'll tell you what to do if you call me in the morning.
I'll tell you what to do if you call me in the morning.
I'll tell you what to do and if you call me in the morning
I'll tell you what to do.

I count twelve occurrences of "drink [or drank] 'em bot' up" and one of "drink
'em bot' down", plus three of "drink 'em bot' togedder [or together]"...direct
object present in all cases....r

Robert Bannister

Jan 15, 2007, 7:12:09 PM1/15/07
R H Draney wrote:

> mike.j...@gmail.com filted:
>
>>Drink up
>>
>>Meaning: Finish a drink
>

> To "drink sth up" means exactly the same thing as to "drink sth down"....
>
> Silly old language!...r

Still, the "drink off", which I think is somewhat more unusual anyway,
definitely implies "at one gulp". Sometimes, "toss off" can mean this
too, but that's a phrase to be wary of.

--
Rob Bannister

Skitt

Jan 15, 2007, 7:04:24 PM1/15/07

Oh. I didn't know the above was Standard AmE.

Drink up -- it's time to go.

Marius Hancu

Jan 16, 2007, 12:30:11 AM1/16/07

Robert Bannister wrote:

> Still, the "drink off", which I think is somewhat more unusual anyway

That's what I thought ...

Marius Hancu

mike.j...@gmail.com

Jan 16, 2007, 3:02:26 AM1/16/07

Robert Bannister wrote:

> Still, the "drink off", which I think is somewhat more unusual anyway,
> definitely implies "at one gulp". Sometimes, "toss off" can mean this
> too, but that's a phrase to be wary of.

Indeed .

Jeffrey Turner

Jan 16, 2007, 12:38:51 PM1/16/07
R H Draney wrote:

> mike.j...@gmail.com filted:
>
>>Drink up
>>
>>Meaning: Finish a drink
>

> To "drink sth up" means exactly the same thing as to "drink sth down"....
>
> Silly old language!...r

It has its ups and downs.

--Jeff

--
The shepherd always tries to persuade
the sheep that their interests and

Robert Bannister

Jan 16, 2007, 6:37:09 PM1/16/07
Jeffrey Turner wrote:

> R H Draney wrote:
>
>> mike.j...@gmail.com filted:
>>
>>> Drink up
>>>
>>> Meaning: Finish a drink
>>

>> To "drink sth up" means exactly the same thing as to "drink sth down"....
>>
>> Silly old language!...r
>

> It has its ups and downs.

I thought that was only Welsh, Swiss German and Swedish.

--
Rob Bannister

semir...@my-deja.com

Jan 17, 2007, 4:27:09 PM1/17/07
Marius Hancu wrote:

>Any major differences you see between "drink up" and "drink off?"
>We have both here. Do they both mean "finish drinking that particular
>glass of whisky?"

I see a difference.

"Drink up" means finish the drink which is already in front of you.

"Drink off" means to use up a specified quantity of drink,
possibly associated with some timescale, eg "They drank
off a case of whisky in the week" or " Better drink off the
contents of that cupboard before the end of the tax year!"

jerry_f...@yahoo.com

Jan 17, 2007, 5:56:41 PM1/17/07
Skitt wrote:
> R H Draney wrote:
> > Skitt filted:

> >> Yes, but it is "drink up" and "drink *it* down", right?

> Oh. I didn't know the above was Standard AmE.
>
> Drink up -- it's time to go.

They're both standard English in my book, except that there's no "Drink
down!"

--
Jerry Friedman

Skitt

Jan 17, 2007, 6:17:49 PM1/17/07

You deleted the part I was commenting on. As for the "except" part of your
above statement, I'm with you.

John Holmes

Jan 19, 2007, 6:22:48 AM1/19/07

"Robert Bannister" <rob...@it.net.au> wrote in message

No, it's closer to home than that:
http://www.ga.gov.au/bin/gazd01?rec=295967

--
Regards
John

Robert Bannister

Jan 19, 2007, 6:29:05 PM1/19/07
John Holmes wrote:

> "Robert Bannister" <rob...@it.net.au> wrote in message
>
>>Jeffrey Turner wrote:

>>>It has its ups and downs.
>>>

>>I thought that was only Welsh, Swiss German and Swedish.
>

> No, it's closer to home than that:
> http://www.ga.gov.au/bin/gazd01?rec=295967

Good heavens. I thought that was all pristine holiday resort land.

--
Rob Bannister

R H Draney

Jan 19, 2007, 7:22:31 PM1/19/07
Robert Bannister filted:

>John Holmes wrote:
>>
>> No, it's closer to home than that:
>> http://www.ga.gov.au/bin/gazd01?rec=295967
>
>Good heavens. I thought that was all pristine holiday resort land.

Anyone acquainted with the geography of southern California will enjoy this
delineation of the "uncharted avocado jungle" to be explored, from a movie which
may or may not remain nameless:

http://www.youngmanridge.com/pop/movies/avocado/californian_avocado_jungle%207.jpg

....r