=SDC= Q3: But not Choctaw

Jerry Friedman

Aug 31, 2012, 12:36:18 AM8/31/12
For some Bulgarians, Egypt. For many Egyptians, Greece. For Greeks,
France. For French people, India. For many Indians (from India),
Peru. For English speakers?

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. Panelist

Reinhold {Rey} Aman

Aug 31, 2012, 12:46:11 AM8/31/12
Jerry Friedman wrote:

> For some Bulgarians, Egypt. For many Egyptians, Greece. For Greeks,
> France. For French people, India. For many Indians (from India),
> Peru. For English speakers?

Turkey.

--
~~~ Reinhold {Rey} Aman ~~~

Jerry Friedman

Aug 31, 2012, 1:10:01 AM8/31/12
On Aug 30, 10:46 pm, Reinhold {Rey} Aman <a...@sonic.net> wrote:
> Jerry Friedman wrote:
>
> > For some Bulgarians, Egypt.  For many Egyptians, Greece.  For Greeks,
> > France.  For French people, India.  For many Indians (from India),
> > Peru.  For English speakers?
>
> Turkey.

Thank you!

abc

Aug 31, 2012, 5:09:07 AM8/31/12
I'm totally lost here. How about an explanation?
abc

James Hogg

Aug 31, 2012, 5:21:57 AM8/31/12
This exotic bird was called after different countries depending on where
it was believed to come from. The French name is "dinde" which means
"from India". The Greek word is "gallos", referring to Gaul, and so on.

--
James

Reinhold {Rey} Aman

Aug 31, 2012, 12:51:12 PM8/31/12
James Hogg wrote:

> abc wrote:
>> Jerry Friedman wrote:

>>> Thank you!
>
>> I'm totally lost here. How about an explanation?
>
> This exotic bird was called after different countries depending on
> where it was believed to come from. The French name is "dinde" which
> means "from India". The Greek word is "gallos", referring to Gaul,
> and so on.

For more names, see:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_names_for_the_Wild_Turkey>

John Varela

Aug 31, 2012, 1:09:44 PM8/31/12
On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 09:21:57 UTC, James Hogg <Jas....@gOUTmail.com>
wrote:
The word for "turkey" in Portuguese is "peru".

--
John Varela

Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and
murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure
wind. -- George Orwell

Jerry Friedman

Aug 31, 2012, 1:28:30 PM8/31/12
Which was our source. My favorites are the Chinese names.

I'd think most of the names there refer mainly to the domestic turkey,
though.

--
Jerry Friedman

James Silverton

Aug 31, 2012, 2:58:28 PM8/31/12
I thought the French word was "dindon" as in the tongue twister, "Didon
d�na dit-on du dos d'un dodu dindon". Ah, I see "dinde" is a female
turkey and "dindon" a male but Dido would predate the introduction of
turkeys to the Mediterranean, anyway.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

Don Phillipson

Aug 31, 2012, 3:21:00 PM8/31/12
"Jerry Friedman" <je...@totally-official.com> wrote in message

> [...]
. . .
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_names_for_the_Wild_Turkey>
>
> Which was our source. My favorites are the Chinese names.

The catch is that each of the seven place names (except the first)
was linked to the next: but this was a red herring, having no bearing
on the answer sought (as neither did Choctaw.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Sep 1, 2012, 6:02:16 AM9/1/12
On 2012-08-31 17:09:44 +0000, John Varela said:

> On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 09:21:57 UTC, James Hogg <Jas....@gOUTmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> abc wrote:

>>> I'm totally lost here. How about an explanation? abc
>>
>> This exotic bird was called after different countries depending on where
>> it was believed to come from. The French name is "dinde" which means
>> "from India". The Greek word is "gallos", referring to Gaul, and so on.
>
> The word for "turkey" in Portuguese is "peru".

If I'd been more organized I would have said this yesterday, but I
wasn't, so you beat me to it.

--
athel

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Sep 1, 2012, 10:58:23 AM9/1/12
On 2012-08-31 17:28:30 +0000, Jerry Friedman said:

> On Aug 31, 10:51�am, Reinhold {Rey} Aman <a...@sonic.net> wrote:
>> James Hogg wrote:

>>> This exotic bird was called after different countries depending on
>>> where it was believed to come from. The French name is "dinde" which
>>> means "from India". The Greek word is "gallos", referring to Gaul,
>>> and so on.
>>
>> For more names, see:
>>
>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_names_for_the_Wild_Turkey>
>
> Which was our source. My favorites are the Chinese names.

I like the Malay "ayam belanda" (Dutch chicken).

> I'd think most of the names there refer mainly to the domestic turkey,
> though.

I went through all the possibilities offered by Google Translate (all
the ones I could read, anyway: it offers transliterations of Georgian,
Tamil, Telegu and Gujarati, among others, but not for some I'd have
expected, like Hebrew, Arabic and Armenian. What I find extraordinary
is the sheer number of non-cognate words.

I was surprised at how many have "kalkoen" or something similar, which
didn't suggest any geographical namr. I briefly thought of the right
answer (Calicut), but for some reason I rejected it.

I'm surprised about your "many Indians", because all of the ones I
could read have "tarki" or something similar.

I was also surprised (in Google) at Azerbaijani "turkey", because I
thought it hardly possible that they would regard Turkey as an exotic
place. However, the English spelling suggests thery just adopted the
English name without regard to its meaning. Google offers an
alternative "hinduska", which looks nicer and clearly puts Azerbaijani
in the Indian camp.

--
athel