=SDC= Q8: Disclosed by Tethys?

Jerry Friedman

Aug 31, 2012, 1:32:49 PM8/31/12
This is a Toughie (worth a Touabaire).

This place-name is recorded in many forms:

One of them appears periodically in France, closer than we normally
think.

One of them is also the name of a person who is recorded as having
progressed from salt to nickel.

A jazzier namesake of the former will lead you to Google.

Irish monks could seek solitude on one, but Zoë's dad is recorded as
having sought the opposite on multiples of these.

A Palestinian scholar recorded the flight of the earls to this place.

There is even a namesake in Yemen.

List all these variant spellings including the name by which the place
is best known (the penultimate clue above). Nary a point of departure
is
a good place to begin from a study of natural history (Lewis).

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. Panelist

Vinny Burgoo

Aug 31, 2012, 4:28:50 PM8/31/12
In alt.usage.english, Jerry Friedman wrote:

>This is a Toughie (worth a Touabaire).
>

>This place-name is recorded in many forms:
>
>One of them appears periodically in France, closer than we normally
>think.
>
>One of them is also the name of a person who is recorded as having
>progressed from salt to nickel.
>
>A jazzier namesake of the former will lead you to Google.
>
>Irish monks could seek solitude on one, but Zo�'s dad is recorded as
>having sought the opposite on multiples of these.
>
>A Palestinian scholar recorded the flight of the earls to this place.
>
>There is even a namesake in Yemen.
>

>List all these variant spellings including the name by which the place
>is best known (the penultimate clue above). Nary a point of departure
>is
>a good place to begin from a study of natural history (Lewis).

Some tumbleweed avenues:

Skellig Michael, Mont St Michel ...

Skellig, crack cocaine (or crystal meth), Petra ...

Petrels ...

Nary in (not-that-)Hubbard County, Minnesota ...

--
VB

Snidely

Sep 1, 2012, 2:59:21 PM9/1/12
Jerry Friedman presented the following explanation :
> This is a Toughie (worth a Touabaire).
>

> This place-name is recorded in many forms:
>
> One of them appears periodically in France, closer than we normally
> think.
>
> One of them is also the name of a person who is recorded as having
> progressed from salt to nickel.
>
> A jazzier namesake of the former will lead you to Google.
>
> Irish monks could seek solitude on one, but Zoᅵ's dad is recorded as
> having sought the opposite on multiples of these.
>
> A Palestinian scholar recorded the flight of the earls to this place.
>
> There is even a namesake in Yemen.
>

> List all these variant spellings including the name by which the place
> is best known (the penultimate clue above). Nary a point of departure
> is
> a good place to begin from a study of natural history (Lewis).

Dang it, now you've got me lost in Hungary.

/dps

--
Who, me? And what lacuna?

Bart Dinnissen

Sep 2, 2012, 12:27:19 PM9/2/12
On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 10:32:49 -0700 (PDT), in alt.usage.english Jerry
Friedman <je...@totally-official.com> wrote:

>This is a Toughie (worth a Touabaire).
>

>This place-name is recorded in many forms:
>
>One of them appears periodically in France, closer than we normally
>think.

Mons Saint-Michel (thanks to Vinnie Burgoo)

>One of them is also the name of a person who is recorded as having
>progressed from salt to nickel.

A scientist?

Purification of nickel: L. Mond

>A jazzier namesake of the former will lead you to Google.

Thelonious Monk

>Irish monks could seek solitude on one, but Zo�'s dad is recorded as
>having sought the opposite on multiples of these.

Mount Rushmore?

Zoe's dad being the president of the US in the series The West Wing.

>A Palestinian scholar recorded the flight of the earls to this place.

Hm.

>There is even a namesake in Yemen.

Atlas Mountains?

>List all these variant spellings including the name by which the place
>is best known (the penultimate clue above). Nary a point of departure
>is a good place to begin from a study of natural history (Lewis).

I'm stuck. It's probably all wrong.

--
Bart Dinnissen

Po�zie, zo moeilijk niet, op alles rijmt wel iets.
Behalve dan op waterfiets, op waterfiets rijmt niets.
- Herman Finkers

Jerry Friedman

Sep 2, 2012, 12:31:08 PM9/2/12
On Aug 31, 11:32 am, Jerry Friedman <je...@totally-official.com>
wrote:
The man who first recorded the name was archly condemned by Ol'
Crosseyes.

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. Hinter

Vinny Burgoo

Sep 4, 2012, 9:08:15 AM9/4/12
In alt.usage.english, Jerry Friedman wrote:
>On Aug 31, 11:32�am, Jerry Friedman <je...@totally-official.com>

>> This is a Toughie (worth a Touabaire).
>>
>> This place-name is recorded in many forms:
>>
>> One of them appears periodically in France, closer than we normally
>> think.
>>
>> One of them is also the name of a person who is recorded as having
>> progressed from salt to nickel.
>>
>> A jazzier namesake of the former will lead you to Google.
>>
>> Irish monks could seek solitude on one, but Zo�'s dad is recorded as
>> having sought the opposite on multiples of these.
>>
>> A Palestinian scholar recorded the flight of the earls to this place.
>>
>> There is even a namesake in Yemen.
>>
>> List all these variant spellings including the name by which the place
>> is best known (the penultimate clue above). Nary a point of departure
>> is
>> a good place to begin from a study of natural history (Lewis).
>
>The man who first recorded the name was archly condemned by Ol'
>Crosseyes.

Strabo! So this has something to do with Pytheas and Thule. There is a
Thule in Yemen. 'Periodically' might indicate Thulium, but I can't see a
French connection, unless it's Tulle, which was named after Tutela, a
manifestation of Juno. Dunno Tutela's etymology. The Tethys slug alludes
to Seneca's Medea. Edward Said is the only Palestinian scholar I can
think of. My copy of Orientalism has gone west and there are only
snippets at GooBoo, but somehow I doubt that Said was very interested in
Hugh O'Neill and chums. I can't Google up an Ottoman scholar from
around there. The jazzy namesake: Thelonious Monk or Twyla Tharp?

That'll have to do for now.

--
VB

Vinny Burgoo

Sep 4, 2012, 9:55:11 AM9/4/12
I forgot to say that the monk-ey one is probably Ultima Thule, or
Iceland.

--
VB

James Silverton

Sep 4, 2012, 10:13:41 AM9/4/12
Thulium was named for "Thule" which its discover thought was the ancient
name for Scandinavia.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

Vinny Burgoo

Sep 5, 2012, 6:42:06 PM9/5/12
In alt.usage.english, Jerry Friedman wrote:

>This is a Toughie (worth a Touabaire).
>

>This place-name is recorded in many forms:
>
>One of them appears periodically in France, closer than we normally
>think.
>
>One of them is also the name of a person who is recorded as having
>progressed from salt to nickel.
>
>A jazzier namesake of the former will lead you to Google.
>
>Irish monks could seek solitude on one, but Zo�'s dad is recorded as
>having sought the opposite on multiples of these.
>
>A Palestinian scholar recorded the flight of the earls to this place.
>
>There is even a namesake in Yemen.
>

>List all these variant spellings including the name by which the place
>is best known (the penultimate clue above). Nary a point of departure
>is
>a good place to begin from a study of natural history (Lewis).

Thila, Tyle, Tile, Thyle, Tule, Thule.

--
VB

Jerry Friedman

Sep 5, 2012, 7:12:57 PM9/5/12
On Sep 5, 4:42 pm, Vinny Burgoo <hlu...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> In alt.usage.english, Jerry Friedman wrote:
>

> >This is a Toughie (worth a Touabaire).
>
> >This place-name is recorded in many forms:
>
> >One of them appears periodically in France, closer than we normally
> >think.
>
> >One of them is also the name of a person who is recorded as having
> >progressed from salt to nickel.
>
> >A jazzier namesake of the former will lead you to Google.
>
> >Irish monks could seek solitude on one, but Zoë's dad is recorded as
> >having sought the opposite on multiples of these.
>
> >A Palestinian scholar recorded the flight of the earls to this place.
>
> >There is even a namesake in Yemen.
>
> >List all these variant spellings including the name by which the place
> >is best known (the penultimate clue above). Nary a point of departure
> >is
> >a good place to begin from a study of natural history (Lewis).
>
> Thila, Tyle, Tile, Thyle, Tule, Thule.

You wouldn't care to put those in order so we can tell what goes with
what?

Vinny Burgoo

Sep 6, 2012, 2:59:37 PM9/6/12
I would but I can't. If this is the right approach, I imagine that Thule
is the best-known version, (Innis) Tile is the monks and Thila is Yemen.
The earls might have passed through Thyle, north of Charleroi, but they
are supposed to have travelled a bit further north. As for the others

But I suspect that I'm being over-literal and should be looking for
cognatos, not spellos, in which case a few guesses:

France is Finistere.

Yemen has something to do with the Queen of Sheba coming from the ends
of the earth.

Either the scholar used Ultima Thule as a metaphor for exile or the
question has a thinko ('to this place' for 'from this place') and Ultima
Thule is Ulster.

Er ...

There's a jazz quartet called NIAS (NiAs , AKA kupfernickel), but I
can't see any World's End relevance either in it or in Cronstedt, the
knight who made NiAs go Ni.

Nope. Lost again.

--
VB

Jerry Friedman

Sep 12, 2012, 1:28:58 PM9/12/12
On Sep 4, 7:08 am, Vinny Burgoo <hlu...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> In alt.usage.english, Jerry Friedman wrote:
>

> >On Aug 31, 11:32 am, Jerry Friedman <je...@totally-official.com>
> >> This is a Toughie (worth a Touabaire).
>
> >> This place-name is recorded in many forms:
>
> >> One of them appears periodically in France, closer than we normally
> >> think.
>
> >> One of them is also the name of a person who is recorded as having
> >> progressed from salt to nickel.
>
> >> A jazzier namesake of the former will lead you to Google.
>
> >> Irish monks could seek solitude on one, but Zo 's dad is recorded as
> >> having sought the opposite on multiples of these.
>
> >> A Palestinian scholar recorded the flight of the earls to this place.
>
> >> There is even a namesake in Yemen.
>
> >> List all these variant spellings including the name by which the place
> >> is best known (the penultimate clue above). Nary a point of departure
> >> is
> >> a good place to begin from a study of natural history (Lewis).
>
> >The man who first recorded the name was archly condemned by Ol'
> >Crosseyes.
>
> Strabo! So this has something to do with Pytheas and Thule. There is a
> Thule in Yemen. 'Periodically' might indicate Thulium, but I can't see a
> French connection, unless it's Tulle, which was named after Tutela, a
> manifestation of Juno. Dunno Tutela's etymology. TheTethysslug alludes
> to Seneca's Medea. Edward Said is the only Palestinian scholar I can
> think of. My copy of Orientalism has gone west

Shalam ching! (=BrE Boom boom!)

> and there are only
> snippets at GooBoo, but somehow I doubt that Said was very interested in
> Hugh O'Neill and chums.  I can't Google up an Ottoman scholar from
> around there. The jazzy namesake: Thelonious Monk or Twyla Tharp?
>
> That'll have to do for now.

That'll be worth a Katahdin.

Here's James's awe-inspiring answer:

Thule: Slug from Seneca's Medea

"Tethys shall disclose new worlds and Thule not be the limit of the
lands."

"One of them appears periodically in France, closer than we normally
think."
Proxima Thulé, a journal edited by Françoix-Xavier Dillmann (fx)

"One of them is also the name of a person who is recorded as having
progressed from salt to nickel."

Chris Thile recorded a track called Salt Creek before he joined Nickel
Creek, also recorded Not All Who Wander Are Lost

"A jazzier namesake of the former will lead you to Google."

Chris Tyle, Tyle is a programming language. Wiki redirects frrom Tyle
the article for Google

"Monks could seek solitude on one, but Zoë's dad is recorded as having
sought the opposite on multiples of these."

Tile. John Bonham of Led Zeppelin, who recorded Out on the Tiles

"A Palestinian scholar recorded the flight of the earls to this
place."

Procopius of Caesarea tells of the return to Scandinavia (Thule) of
the
Eruli (probably cognate with "earls").

"There is even a namesake in Yemen."

Thila

"List all these variant spellings including the name by which the
place
is best known (the penultimate clue above). Nary a point of departure
is
a good place to begin from a study of natural history (Lewis)."

In his Natural History, Pliny says that the crossing to Thule begins
at
Nerigos, identified as the northern promontory of Lewis, designated
Nary
or Nery on old maps.

Pytheas of Massilia, who wrote about his voyage to Thule, was called
an
"archfalsifier" by Strabo (squinter).

Virgil called it Ultima Thule

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. Sheepsender

Vinny Burgoo

Sep 12, 2012, 2:18:40 PM9/12/12
In alt.usage.english, Jerry Friedman wrote:
>On Sep 4, 7:08�am, Vinny Burgoo <hlu...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

[...]

>> That'll have to do for now.
>
>That'll be worth a Katahdin.

Cripes! Thank you.

>Here's James's awe-inspiring answer:
>
>Thule: Slug from Seneca's Medea
>
>"Tethys shall disclose new worlds and Thule not be the limit of the
>lands."
>
>"One of them appears periodically in France, closer than we normally
>think."
>Proxima Thul�, a journal edited by Fran�oix-Xavier Dillmann (fx)

Oh, *that* periodically. Aaargh!

As for the rest, I pondered Procopius for a while but was nowhere near
the other answers.

[...]

--
VB