=SDC= Q29: What color is it?

Jerry Friedman

Sep 3, 2012, 12:38:04 PM9/3/12
What business is this (in the two large buildings)?

http://alt-usage-english.org/sdc2012/business.jpg

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. Panelist

Harrison Hill

Sep 3, 2012, 2:43:10 PM9/3/12
On 3 Sep, 17:38, Jerry Friedman <je...@totally-official.com> wrote:
> What business is this (in the two large buildings)?
>
> http://alt-usage-english.org/sdc2012/business.jpg

This is a big enterprise but one that might have started long ago
utilising the adjoining sand pits. I reckon this is a "glass maker"?

Mike Barnes

Sep 3, 2012, 3:16:14 PM9/3/12
Harrison Hill <harrison...@gmail.com>:
Judging by the number of trucks it might be a warehouse or distribution
centre.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England

Snidely

Sep 3, 2012, 4:18:17 PM9/3/12
Jerry Friedman presented the following explanation :
> What business is this (in the two large buildings)?
>
> http://alt-usage-english.org/sdc2012/business.jpg

Manufacturing sand traps for golf courses?

/dps

--
Who, me? And what lacuna?

John Varela

Sep 3, 2012, 4:56:24 PM9/3/12
On Mon, 3 Sep 2012 16:38:04 UTC, Jerry Friedman
<je...@totally-official.com> wrote:

> What business is this (in the two large buildings)?
>
> http://alt-usage-english.org/sdc2012/business.jpg

A paint factory?

--
John Varela

Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and
murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure
wind. -- George Orwell

Jerry Friedman

Sep 3, 2012, 5:04:28 PM9/3/12
On Sep 3, 2:56 pm, "John Varela" <newla...@verizon.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Sep 2012 16:38:04 UTC, Jerry Friedman
>
> <je...@totally-official.com> wrote:
> > What business is this (in the two large buildings)?
>
> >http://alt-usage-english.org/sdc2012/business.jpg
>
> A paint factory?

We're looking for the name of the business. There's enough
information to determine it, if you look closely.

--
Jerry Friedman, posting from the hinterlands.

Vinny Burgoo

Sep 3, 2012, 5:10:04 PM9/3/12
In alt.usage.english, Jerry Friedman wrote:

>What business is this (in the two large buildings)?
>
>http://alt-usage-english.org/sdc2012/business.jpg

Panicky parking towards the back of the car park. Punctuality strictly
enforced?

And that's a very odd pond.

--
VB

Mike L

Sep 3, 2012, 6:12:42 PM9/3/12
Full marks to whichever torturer so deftly blotted out all the clues
while leaving their traces visible.

--
Mike.

Iain Archer

Sep 3, 2012, 7:15:12 PM9/3/12
Mike L wrote on Mon, 3 Sep 2012
I take it that the logo at the bottom lh corner isn't informative.

So what do the surrounding areas to the top and left signify? Are they
even used by the firm? They seem to be principally accessible from the
public road, so perhaps not. Otherwise, are they maybe test areas?

Do they make the trailers there? I'm not sure there are any obvious
trucks attached to them.
--
Iain Archer

Reinhold {Rey} Aman

Sep 3, 2012, 7:28:24 PM9/3/12
Jerry Friedman wrote:

> What business is this (in the two large buildings)?
>
> http://alt-usage-english.org/sdc2012/business.jpg

UPS.

--
~~~ Reinhold {Rey} Aman ~~~

Vinny Burgoo

Sep 3, 2012, 8:09:41 PM9/3/12
In alt.usage.english, Jerry Friedman wrote:

>What business is this (in the two large buildings)?
>
>http://alt-usage-english.org/sdc2012/business.jpg

A fabrics and furnishings business? A failed business? The buildings are
in Peachview Executive Park, Gaffney, South Carolina, and might be owned
or leased by the Robert Allen Group or they might currently be vacant.

(I got lucky googling with 'frontage road' and 'water tower'.)

--
VB

Jerry Friedman

Sep 3, 2012, 8:17:46 PM9/3/12
Thank you for the T. O. answer, the Robert Allen Group! In some
quarters of the Panel, there was a hope that "peach" would lead to
"Peachoid".

Frank S

Sep 3, 2012, 8:33:44 PM9/3/12

"Jerry Friedman" <je...@totally-official.com> wrote in message
USPS

It ain't brown...

msh210

Sep 4, 2012, 12:23:27 AM9/4/12
On Sep 3d, Mike L abed:
> Full marks to whichever torturer so deftly blotted out all the clues
> while leaving their traces visible.

No, the picture was taken from Google as was.

Michael Hamm
TO Screenshooter

Mark Brader

Sep 4, 2012, 2:18:33 AM9/4/12
Jerry Friedman:
> Thank you for the T. O. answer, the Robert Allen Group! In some
> quarters of the Panel, there was a hope that "peach" would lead to
> "Peachoid".

I was certainly impressed.

This puzzle reminded me of the following, which I came across a
couple of years ago when I dropped in on misc.transport.road,
where, of course, many people pay a lot of attention to traffic
lights. The photo is titled "Look Both Ways":

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_f98opUNuVXc/SxuDGnuMoiI/AAAAAAAAL2I/JcFCKhKiB_E/s1600-h/look+both+ways.jpg

and the question asked in the newsgroup was where it was taken.
In this case several people had pointed out specific clues in the
photo and I was able to complete the process by locating the exact
location.
--
Mark Brader | But it doesn't matter what I plead;
Toronto | the universe doesn't provide an appeals process

Peter Moylan

Sep 4, 2012, 3:55:42 AM9/4/12
On 04/09/12 16:18, Mark Brader wrote:
> Jerry Friedman:
>> Thank you for the T. O. answer, the Robert Allen Group! In some
>> quarters of the Panel, there was a hope that "peach" would lead to
>> "Peachoid".
>
> I was certainly impressed.
>
> This puzzle reminded me of the following, which I came across a
> couple of years ago when I dropped in on misc.transport.road,
> where, of course, many people pay a lot of attention to traffic
> lights. The photo is titled "Look Both Ways":
>
> http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_f98opUNuVXc/SxuDGnuMoiI/AAAAAAAAL2I/JcFCKhKiB_E/s1600-h/look+both+ways.jpg
>
> and the question asked in the newsgroup was where it was taken.
> In this case several people had pointed out specific clues in the
> photo and I was able to complete the process by locating the exact
> location.

I suppose there can't be many countries where the yellow traffic light
is at the top.

--
Peter Moylan, Newcastle, NSW, Australia. http://www.pmoylan.org
For an e-mail address, see my web page.

Snidely

Sep 4, 2012, 4:13:01 AM9/4/12
On Monday, Jerry Friedman queried:
Is that what that blob is by the building across the highway? (Hmmm,
fires up GE, plugs in Gaffney, and ... shur nuff, it be a peach.
But on 3/5/2012 (which would be March 5 ... does GE localize this
string?) there weren't as many trucks in the vicinity of Peachview
Blvd.)

Now where's James?

Iain Archer

Sep 4, 2012, 4:28:22 AM9/4/12
Snidely wrote on Tue, 4 Sep 2012
>On Monday, Jerry Friedman queried:

>>> A fabrics and furnishings business? A failed business? The
>>>buildings are
>>> in Peachview Executive Park, Gaffney, South Carolina, and might be owned
>>> or leased by the Robert Allen Group or they might currently be vacant.
>>> (I got lucky googling with 'frontage road' and 'water tower'.)
>>
>> Thank you for the T. O. answer, the Robert Allen Group! In some
>> quarters of the Panel, there was a hope that "peach" would lead to
>> "Peachoid".

But first find your peach. :)

>Is that what that blob is by the building across the highway? (Hmmm,
>fires up GE, plugs in Gaffney, and ... shur nuff, it be a peach.
>But on 3/5/2012 (which would be March 5 ... does GE localize this
>string?) there weren't as many trucks in the vicinity of Peachview
>Blvd.)

Here's a more illuminating photo:
http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMGV6_Peachoid_Water_Tower
--
Iain Archer

Mark Brader

Sep 4, 2012, 12:25:51 PM9/4/12
Mark Brader:
> > This puzzle reminded me of the following, which I came across a
> > couple of years ago when I dropped in on misc.transport.road,
> > where, of course, many people pay a lot of attention to traffic
> > lights. The photo is titled "Look Both Ways":
> >

> http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_f98opUNuVXc/SxuDGnuMoiI/AAAAAAAAL2I/JcFCKhKiB_E/s1600-h/look+both+ways.jpg
> >
> > and the question asked in the newsgroup was where it was taken.
> > In this case several people had pointed out specific clues in the
> > photo and I was able to complete the process by locating the exact
> > location.

Peter Moylan:
> I suppose there can't be many countries where the yellow traffic light
> is at the top.

That's a red; note that the car's brake lights also look yellowish.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto, m...@vex.net
"Omit needless code! Omit needless code! Omit needless code!"

micky

Sep 7, 2012, 2:09:57 AM9/7/12
On Mon, 3 Sep 2012 09:38:04 -0700 (PDT), Jerry Friedman
<je...@totally-official.com> wrote:

>What business is this (in the two large buildings)?
>
>http://alt-usage-english.org/sdc2012/business.jpg

I'm pretty sure I saw this very photo in the last month.

North of Harrisburg, Pa I think. It was a store with a webpage, but
I wanted to go there in person.

Mark Brader

Sep 23, 2012, 3:06:06 PM9/23/12
Mark Brader:
>>> This puzzle reminded me of the following, which I came across a
>>> couple of years ago when I dropped in on misc.transport.road,
>>> where, of course, many people pay a lot of attention to traffic
>>> lights. The photo is titled "Look Both Ways":

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_f98opUNuVXc/SxuDGnuMoiI/AAAAAAAAL2I/JcFCKhKiB_E/s1600-h/look+both+ways.jpg

>>> and the question asked in the newsgroup was where it was taken.
>>> In this case several people had pointed out specific clues in the
>>> photo and I was able to complete the process by locating the exact
>>> location.

Peter Moylan:
>> I suppose there can't be many countries where the yellow traffic light
>> is at the top.

Mark Brader:
> That's a red; note that the car's brake lights also look yellowish.

I did mean to post the location here, in case anyone was curious.
The photo looks east across Yonge St. at a point about 900 feet
north of 16th Av. in Richmond Hill, a suburb north of Toronto.
There are shopping malls on both sides of the street, and the
traffic-light "intersection" is with one driveway for each of them.
The position is 43.8555,-79.4336 in Google Maps style.
--
Mark Brader | "[In a country with] the dream that... anyone can grow up
Toronto | to be President... there's also a nightmare where