The GOSSAMER Archive Introduction (v2.2 01 MAY 1996)

Vincent V. Juodvalkis

May 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/1/96

The GOSSAMER Archive
An X-FILES Creative Fan Fiction Archive
Introduction (2.2 - 1 MAY 1996)

NEW:
1) There is now an FTP MIRROR on the other side of the Atlantic.
The address is ftp://ftp.fu-berlin.de/misc/sf/x-files/creative
I tried it from here, but the connection was very slow (I imagine
that it the same trying to come to Gossamer from over there). I
hope that fans on the other side of the Atlantic who have problems
getting to Gossamer can make use of this site. It is updated several
times daily, so any delay in getting stories up on that site is in
my domain, not theirs.

Many thanks to Vera Heinau, at Free University - Berlin, for running
that show. For business relating to the mirror site, please send
email to: x-f...@fu-berlin.de

2) I am now archiving the stories posted to Gil Trevizo's mailing list.
If you are sending stories there, and do not want them archived,
please drop me a line. Further, if you are a reader of atxc, and
have had problems with your newsfeed, you might try the mailing list.
It doesn't get everything sent to the newsgroup (though Gil is
striving toward that goal), but it does get a fair bit of traffic.
Details on the mailing list are available from the web pages of the
archive.

In addition to this posting, there are other, occasional posts
entitled "Archive News" that, if you use the archive, should probably
be read when come across. They detail new and/or important facts
about the archive.

The demands on my time have grown dramatically over the last several
months. I am consistently behind in the archive (no more getting
stories off the archive before they come in on your local news feed),
but I am working on it. If you think I have missed something, feel
free to send me an email message, but do please be patient.

If you have a problem using the archive, and you think it is a problem
with the archive herself, please send me email. If you are having
problems in general, I don't mind helping, but please read your
manuals, and seek local help first.

The archive pages are located at:

http://gossamer.eng.ohio-state.edu/ #Main Archive Page
http://gossamer.eng.ohio-state.edu/x-files/ #X-Files Fan Fiction
http://gossamer.eng.ohio-state.edu/sliders/ #Sliders Fan Fiction

ftp gossamer.eng.ohio-state.edu /pub/archive/x-files
ftp gossamer.eng.ohio-state.edu /pub/archive/sliders

I do recommended that the web site be used if possible. The main web
pages are Netscape enhanced, but if you don't have Netscape, there are
text pages available.

AUTHORS: I archive most every story posted to alt.tv.x-files.creative
and sent to Gil Trevizo's mailing list. In the past, I have tried to
inform authors of these archivations as they happen, but I no longer
have enough time to do so. You people write too much! ;-)
Consequently, I am relying on both this message, and the general
awareness of my archive, to reach everyone.

I was once asked why I keep usage statistics. I have my reasons, but
let me assure everyone that I do NOT sell mailing lists, and I do not
keep track of who down loads what. Yes, that information is in the
logs, but I am the only one who has access, and to be honest, I
couldn't care less what you read.

Vincent V. Juodvalkis juod...@ee.eng.ohio-state.edu
The Archivist http://eewww.eng.ohio-state.edu/~juodvalk/
These sites are in no way endorsed, recognized, or promoted by The Ohio
State University, Engineering Computing Services, or The Department of
Electrical Engineering.