Frequently Asked Questions for alt.tv.x-files.analysis

l...@clark.net

Jun 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/9/98

Frequently Asked Questions for alt.tv.x-files.analysis

Version 1.1

Authors: Laura Burchard & Loligo Opalescens

Charter: To provide a more focused subgroup that will allow low-noise
analytical discussion of the writing, filming, acting, social and academic
impact of The X-Files. Not for discussion of the actors or more general
posts. This is a moderated group; binaries, html, ads and sufficiently
off-topic postings will be rejected or canceled.

What topics are okay for this newsgroup?

This newsgroup is meant to focus on reviews, criticism, commentary and
analysis of the show -- in other words, we're here to talk about the
writing, acting, directing, and production of the show, and its artistic
or social impact.

There are many X-Files related topics that don't fit the specialized
mission of this group. Here are some examples of posts that would be
OFF-TOPIC:

-- DD Scheduled to Appear on "Letterman"
-- GA's dress at the Golden Globes
-- Tampa Area X-Philes Get-together
-- XF Mags to Trade

All of these are appropriate for alt.tv.x-files, but NOT here at ATXFA.

In contrast, here are some posts that would be ON-TOPIC here:

-- 10 arguments for why Marita should take a long walk off a short
pier
-- how Scully's ever-changing hairstyles reflect the mood of the show
-- analysis of the strengths & weaknesses of Duchovny's acting
-- Jane Doe's review of "Folie a Deux"

Posts should also be more than just statements -- a post that simply says
after Travelers "He was wearing a wedding ring" is a poor choice of
posts, but one discussing whether it would make sense in context of
Mulder's character for him to be married would be appropriate.

Geez, that sounds kind of intimidating... can I post without a degree?

Indeed! You don't have to write papers or add footnotes to post, short
(and snarky) is perfectly okay. Some of the best
insights come in short and to the point messages. Nor do you have to
check your sense of humor at the door.

On the other hand, those who do want to write long posts with footnotes
are as eagerly welcomed; ATXFA is a democracy of ideas.

Hey! There's no alt.tv.x-files.analysis group on my ISP! How do I get it?

The newgroup message for ATXFA was issued June 6th; it's possible that it
will turn up on your system automatically, but more than likely you'll
have to request its creation. Mail support at your ISP and tell them that
you'd like alt.tv.x-files.analysis, and it should appear soon after.

You should also keep a copy of any postings you make until you confirm
that your postings are actually making it to me, as some systems may be
initially misconfigured; moderated groups are a little trickier than
unmoderated. Postings can also be sent directly to at...@burchard.org. I
have the software on silent status during the shakedown period, because I
don't want it mailbombing people if misconfigured news software screws
stuff up. You won't get the charter/acknowledgement mail back, therefore.
Please mail me (atxfa-...@burchard.org preferred; use l...@radix.net if
you can't get through on the former) if you are having any problems with
rejections or bounces; include the rejection or bounce so that I can see
what went wrong.

Binaries, html, and ads are not allowed. Binaries are auto-rejected, and
if one slips through it will be canceled. HTML is currently not
automatically rejected but probably will be in the future. Configure your
news posting program correctly! As well, crossposting between two
moderated groups is not allowed; this is usenet standard, because the
Moderated header does not distinguish between groups, and therefore
approving a crosspost to another moderated group would be the equivalent
of a forged approval in the latter group.

There are a handful of cases where I can imagine a commercial posting
being appropriate; for example, if you were publishing an academic book on
the X-Files and wanted to notify people of its existence. If you have a
post that you are afraid will be regarded as an ad, but that you think is
legitimate, mail me at atxfa-...@burchard.org and we can discuss
posting it.

How is this group moderated?

The group is robo-moderated, which means that if your first post is
approved, you will be put on a 'whitelist', and from then on the
moderating software will automatically approve your postings and forward
them to the newgroup. When the newgroup is fully established, your first
post will result in a copy of the FAQ and charter being sent to you; that
is in abeyance at the moment. Posters who repeatedly violate the charter
will be placed on hand-moderation status, while extremely abusive posters
will be placed on auto-block -- a 'blacklist'.

Vigorous discussion is welcomed and encouraged, but threads that
degenerate into flame wars will be cut off.

A certain amount of discussion about the newsgroup itself is acceptable,
as it will help the moderator determine more precisely how to moderate,
but the moderator reserves the right to cut off threads if it becomes too
much noise for the group. It is preferred that such metadiscussion have
headers prefixed with META:, to allow those who wish to avoid it to
killfile.

Crossposting is allowed, but articles crossposted to more than 5 groups
will be automatically rejected, and except in rare cases, articles posted
to more than two groups should have the followup pointed to a single
group. Please remember to edit newsgroups if the thread begins to move off
topic. Crossposting to another moderated group is not allowed, as approval
to ATXFA would be effectively an unauthorized approval to the crossposted
moderated group.

The idea is to keep the newgroup focused, not make people paranoid about
posting. One flip reply is not going to be a charter violation. I'm hoping
that nearly everyone will be on autopost/whitelist status, and therefore
that the hand moderation load will be low enough for me to handle alone.
However, I've put the shell of a multi-moderator system in place so that
more moderators can be added easily. If that happens, I will ask for
volunteer moderators.

I messed up and got put on hand-moderation or the black list. How do I
get off?

My current plan for who goes on the black list (auto-rejection) is A)
people forging approvals B) people posting ads (for ex, 'blizzrd' and his
shills to try to get click throughs for Cybernetic Outpost) and C) being
an extremely, extremely abusive poster: newsgroup bombing, death threats,
et cetera. The only circumstance in which I can imagine 'real' posters
getting black listed is D) being on hand moderated status and mailbombing
the moderators with multiple submission of one article (or say, fifty
separate ones in a day). People in classes A and B will be blacklisted
until they explain themselves to atxfa-contact; second offenses will
result in permanent lockout in most cases. Class C I reserve the right for
permanent lockout on first offense. Class D will get an escalating series
of blocks: One month, two months, four months, not to exceed six months
without review.

Since I expect that most people in hand moderation will be there not
because of malice but because they forget to edit crossposts when going
off topic, it's going to be pretty easy to get off the hand moderated
list; at least two warnings before you even go on hand moderated status,
and then an escalating series of time periods on hand moderation: one week
without charter violations and you are off hand moderation, two weeks for
the next series of incidents, then one month, two months, four months, the
period never to exceed six months without review. If you feel it is a
mistake you are on hand moderation, write atxfa-...@burchard.org.

--
Laura Burchard -- l...@radix.net -- http://www.radix.net/~lhb