Archer Vs Borg

Tim Bruening

May 7, 2009, 11:32:56 PM5/7/09
I just watched the last part of the Enterprise episode in which Archer's
Enterprise encountered a Borgified survey ship.

Points of interest: The Borgified ship says "Resistance is futile, you
will be assimilated", but doesn't say "We are the Borg". Why don't the
Borg in this episode ID themselves as such?

It takes these Borg THREE exposures to the Enterprise crew's phasers to
adapt to them, as opposed to TWO times in Picard's time.

At the end of this episode, Archer and T'Pol determine that the Borg
sent Earth's location to their home planet in the Delta Quadrant.
However, it will take 200 years (until the 24th century, which is
Picard's time frame) for the message to arrive there! Archer sent a
report on the incident to Admiral Forrest. Why was Picard completely
ignorant of the Borg in "Q Who"? Wouldn't Star Fleet have made a note
to (beginning at the start of the 24th century) provide all starship
captains with Archer's reports on his encounters with half-human, half
machine beings who seek to assimilate everyone?

Your Name

May 8, 2009, 2:27:40 AM5/8/09

"Tim Bruening" <tsbr...@pop.dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote in message

> I just watched the last part of the Enterprise episode in which Archer's
> Enterprise encountered a Borgified survey ship.
>
> Points of interest: The Borgified ship says "Resistance is futile, you
> will be assimilated", but doesn't say "We are the Borg". Why don't the
> Borg in this episode ID themselves as such?

<snip>

Because that was simply Beavis & Butthead's lazy-ass attempt to reconcile
the awful Enterprise storylines with established Star Trek background. By
the Borg not actually naming themselves the idiot twins can claim that
Archer couldn't report them to HQ as "Borg" and therefore officially
Starfleet still hadn't met the Borg until Picard's time.

Message has been deleted

That Guy

May 8, 2009, 2:18:44 PM5/8/09
Why did people watch Enterprise?
I gave up after season 1

"Sir F. A. Rien" <jaS...@gbr.online.com> wrote in message
> "Your Name" <your...@isp.com> found these unused words:

> U FO' know all the answeres, eh?

Tim Bruening

May 8, 2009, 3:27:43 PM5/8/09

Your Name wrote:

But he did report to Starfleet HQ his encounter with a race of cyberized
humanoids who are out to assimilate everyone, and T'Pol's estimate that said
race would likely return during the 24th century. Starfleet would then have
seen to it that during the 24th century, every captain was told about the
cyberized humanoids. Therefore, Picard should have known how dangerous the
Borg were when he encountered them during "Q Who", and therefore taken
immadiate action to evade them!

Tim Bruening

May 8, 2009, 4:47:45 PM5/8/09

"Sir F. A. Rien" wrote:

> "Your Name" <your...@isp.com> found these unused words:
>

> U FO' know all the answeres, eh?

Possible fanwank: A Romulan computer virus wiped out Archer's Borg and Ferengi
reports during the Romulan War!

Seaborg: Borg underwater.

Biorn Borg: Borg who plays tennis.

Your Name

May 8, 2009, 8:06:22 PM5/8/09

"Tim Bruening" <tsbr...@pop.dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote in message

I never said it was a good reason, simply the usual Beavis & Butthead
lazy-ass one. Like everything else they do, it would have been ill-thought
out and hopelessly implemented. :-)

Your Name

May 8, 2009, 8:08:09 PM5/8/09

"That Guy" <the...@charter.net> wrote in message

> Why did people watch Enterprise?
> I gave up after season 1

Wow! You've got some bravery. I gave up after a couple of episodes. The
idioctic ill-fitting storylines and the soft-porn stupidity of the "oil me
up" scenes, the the moronic "non Trek Trek show" idea behind it were more
than enough to prove it was garbage and not "Star Trek" at all.

David / Amicus

May 9, 2009, 2:31:39 AM5/9/09
Imo what did this series in was that wretched Xindi storyline!

Your Name

May 9, 2009, 3:15:54 AM5/9/09

"David / Amicus" <Ami...@webtv.net> wrote in message

> Imo what did this series in was that wretched Xindi storyline!

What "did this series in" was putting Beavis & Butthead in charge of it.

Message has been deleted

David Johnston

May 9, 2009, 3:09:52 PM5/9/09
On Thu, 07 May 2009 20:32:56 -0700, Tim Bruening
<tsbr...@pop.dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote:

>I just watched the last part of the Enterprise episode in which Archer's
>Enterprise encountered a Borgified survey ship.
>
>Points of interest: The Borgified ship says "Resistance is futile, you
>will be assimilated", but doesn't say "We are the Borg". Why don't the
>Borg in this episode ID themselves as such?

They aren't in contact with the main Borg Collective. Until they are,
they are not truly Borg.

>It takes these Borg THREE exposures to the Enterprise crew's phasers to
>adapt to them, as opposed to TWO times in Picard's time.

Lack of access to the computation resources of the Collective.

>At the end of this episode, Archer and T'Pol determine that the Borg
>sent Earth's location to their home planet in the Delta Quadrant.
>However, it will take 200 years (until the 24th century, which is
>Picard's time frame) for the message to arrive there! Archer sent a
>report on the incident to Admiral Forrest. Why was Picard completely
>ignorant of the Borg in "Q Who"? Wouldn't Star Fleet have made a note
>to (beginning at the start of the 24th century) provide all starship
>captains with Archer's reports on his encounters with half-human, half
>machine beings who seek to assimilate everyone?

No. It takes 200 years just for the message to get there. Why would
they go on alert for a foe who might take centuries to arrive?

David Johnston

May 9, 2009, 3:11:39 PM5/9/09

Picard would have dismissed such a warning as primitive paranoia from
his barbaric ancestors.

Tim Bruening

May 9, 2009, 3:51:25 PM5/9/09

David / Amicus wrote:

> Imo what did this series in was that wretched Xindi storyline!

3rd season of the "Enterprise" series.

Tim Bruening

May 9, 2009, 3:58:47 PM5/9/09

David Johnston wrote:

I figured that Star Fleet would leave a computer program (in triplicate)
which in the 24th century would sound an alarm and display a warning of the
threat from "cyber humanoids who seek to assimilate everyone". It would also
leave snail mail letters for 24th Star Fleet admirals to open. Isn't Star
Fleet supposed to be thinking in the long term (learning from the mistakes of
the 20th century and early 21st century)?

Tim Bruening

May 9, 2009, 3:59:55 PM5/9/09

David Johnston wrote:

But when he actually saw the Borg, he would have remembered the warning, realized
that it was accurate, and taken evasive action!

Tim Bruening

May 9, 2009, 4:01:52 PM5/9/09

David Johnston wrote:

Even if the warning was authored by the famous Captain Jonathan Archer, the man
largely responsible for FOUNDING THE FEDERATION!?

David Johnston

May 9, 2009, 4:19:39 PM5/9/09
On Sat, 09 May 2009 12:59:55 -0700, Tim Bruening
<tsbr...@pop.dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote:

No he wouldn't. Picard wasn't that smart.

David Johnston

May 9, 2009, 4:20:05 PM5/9/09

Who would listen to anything that idiot had to say?

David Johnston

May 9, 2009, 4:20:39 PM5/9/09
On Sat, 09 May 2009 12:58:47 -0700, Tim Bruening
<tsbr...@pop.dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote:

Why?

It would also
>leave snail mail letters for 24th Star Fleet admirals to open. Isn't Star
>Fleet supposed to be thinking in the long term (learning from the mistakes of
>the 20th century and early 21st century)?

No.

Tim Bruening

May 9, 2009, 4:25:06 PM5/9/09

David Johnston wrote:

How then did he become captain of Star Fleet's flagship?

Tim Bruening

May 9, 2009, 4:26:01 PM5/9/09

David Johnston wrote:

To make certain that it would remember the threat!

Jerry Heyman

May 9, 2009, 4:38:32 PM5/9/09
on Saturday 09 May 2009 3:51 pm, tsbr...@pop.dcn.davis.ca.us (Tim Bruening)
wrote:

> David / Amicus wrote:
>
>> Imo what did this series in was that wretched Xindi storyline!
>
> 3rd season of the "Enterprise" series.

4th season was well written, filling in much of the ST background.
It's unfortunate that such stories were only done then - when the
show was on it's last legs.

The three part arc about Vulcan, and the interplay with Shran
during the last season made it most definitely the best.

jerry
--
// Jerry Heyman | "It's not a 'right' if someone else
// Amiga Forever :-) | has to pay for it" - Ayn Rand

That Guy

May 10, 2009, 11:29:09 AM5/10/09
I gave up when Hoshi shot J.R.

David Johnston

May 10, 2009, 2:18:43 PM5/10/09

He was politically reliable.

David Johnston

May 10, 2009, 2:29:43 PM5/10/09

What threat? First of all, by the 24th century, they had long since
evolved past regarding aliens as "threats". As far as they were
concerned a heavily armed hostile unknown alien is just a friend you
haven't met yet. So yes, Starfleet in TNG's era is stupid. Secondly,
they aren't even really the same organisation. Enterprise was from
Earth's Starfleet. The Enterprise-D was from the Federation's
Starfleet. They are no more the same organisation than the Canadian
Navy is the same the British Navy it imitates. Continuity between the
two is limited. Thirdly, the version of the first encounter that we
actually saw was from before history had been changed. Fourthly,
there was an actual agency of time travellers in charge of preserving
history as is, and removing things that might change history in a
meaningful way. Fifthly if Picard had gotten the warning it probably
wouldn't have changed how he behaved at all because Picard is a big
overconfident diplomatic dork. Sixthly of course, they had no reason
to actually think that the Borg would show up 200 years later to take
revenge on humanity and in fact they didn't. They showed up for
entirely different reasons.

Your Name

May 10, 2009, 5:14:05 PM5/10/09

> I gave up when Hoshi shot J.R.

Then you missed the best episode - the one where Porthos wakes up in the
shower and discovers it was all a bad dream. ;-)

nemo

Jun 9, 2009, 2:49:32 AM6/9/09

"Tim Bruening" <tsbr...@pop.dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote in message
He was easily fooled as well, hence the phrase, "One Biorn every minute."

Nemo.
In 2007, retirement was heaven,
And it's still quite divine in 2009!

I'd be much better off as a fiddling MP,
But graft and corruption are alien to me!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/

nemo

Jun 9, 2009, 2:49:31 AM6/9/09

"Your Name" <your...@isp.com> wrote in message

> "Tim Bruening" <tsbr...@pop.dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote in message
> > I just watched the last part of the Enterprise episode in which Archer's
> > Enterprise encountered a Borgified survey ship.
> >
> > Points of interest: The Borgified ship says "Resistance is futile, you
> > will be assimilated", but doesn't say "We are the Borg". Why don't the
> > Borg in this episode ID themselves as such?
> >
> <snip>
>
> Because that was simply Beavis & Butthead's lazy-ass attempt to reconcile
> the awful Enterprise storylines with established Star Trek background. By
> the Borg not actually naming themselves the idiot twins can claim that
> Archer couldn't report them to HQ as "Borg" and therefore officially
> Starfleet still hadn't met the Borg until Picard's time.

It's about time they told those borggers in the square space ships to borg
off!