Kamen Rider Stronger the "last" series?

Stuart Johnson

Aug 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/13/00
Anybody know if Kamen Rider Stronger was originally intended to be the
last Kamen Rider series? I ask because the last episode ends with
still photos from Kamen Rider, V3, X, and Amazon flashing on the
screen while the opening themes from V3 and the first series play then
the narrator says "Sayônara Kamen Rider". And after Kamen Rider
Stronger there wouldn't be another series for about 4 years.

stuart@_SPAMBLOCK_inetnebr.com
remove _SPAMBLOCK
The Kamen Riders http://members.xoom.com/stuartsstuff/riders/

"The sky calls to me! The land calls to me!
The people call to me! They call me, to fight
the evil. Listen, evil, I am the warrior of
justice--Kamen Rider Stronger!"
-- Kamen Rider Stronger's introductory speech given to every mutant

Ryuusei Productions

Aug 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/13/00

stuart@_SPAMBLOCK_inetnebr.com (Stuart Johnson) wrote:

>Anybody know if Kamen Rider Stronger was originally intended to be the
>last Kamen Rider series?

It was supposed to be, I'm sure. Like Ultraman and Godzilla, the Riders
had to take a break, mostly because of the Energy Crisis of the mid-to-late
70s.

I ask because the last episode ends with
>still photos from Kamen Rider, V3, X, and Amazon flashing on the
>screen while the opening themes from V3 and the first series play then
>the narrator says "Sayônara Kamen Rider". And after Kamen Rider
>Stronger there wouldn't be another series for about 4 years.

Remember that (NEW) MASKED RIDER (Toei; 1979) was supposed to be a REMAKE
of the first show! None of the other Riders were supposed to be in it.
However, Toei can't let go of the other Riders, so they bought them back for
this universe to keep the franchise alive. This is when the Riders, just like
the Ultramen, became more of a "ooh, lookit' me, I'm dancing around so I can
sell toys and raise TV ratings with my special appearance" thing than true
characters. This is really annoying, and it damages them and their character,
IMHO.

Even BLACK was supposed to be a remake, and it was, until the Riders
hammed around for BLACK RX, so those into consistent remakes would want to
forget that BLACK RX existed and stick with BLACK itself.

Hopefully, KUUGA, as with ULTRAMAN TIGA, will be the first successful
remake and honorably leave the old series alone. Strangely, I wouldn't count
on it. :(

John Cassidy (Daijirou Ryuusei),
Ryuusei Productions
Richmond, VA
JonR...@aol.com
http://www.crosswinds.net/~tatsuman/index.html

"I think they're asking for a hiney whoopin'!" -Buttercup, THE POWERPUFF
GIRLS

KRV

Aug 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/13/00

Ryuusei Productions wrote:

I think Sky Rider was intented to be the first remake of the rider series. (It
has the title "Kamen Rider", but in the show they make it "fly".)
Even the picture of Sky Rider with his bike "Skyturbo" breaking glass scene is
somewhat like the original Rider and his "Cyclone" jumping around...
Stronger ended in Dec. 27, 1975... and "Kamen Rider (Sky Rider)" started on Oct.
5, 1979.
From that I'm pretty sure that Kamen Rider Stronger was planned to be the last of
the series.

KRV

KRV

Aug 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/13/00

Ryuusei Productions wrote:

> Hopefully, KUUGA, as with ULTRAMAN TIGA, will be the first successful
> remake and honorably leave the old series alone. Strangely, I wouldn't count
> on it. :(

It would be nice if they have something like "legend/rumor of 14 masked warriors
with bikes" or "silhouette helper(s) who never showed up" in the Kuuga.
Just like in Tiga, they still have the legend of the "Giant of Light".

KRV

August Ragone

Aug 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/13/00
In article <39966765...@netcom.ca>, KRV <K...@netcom.ca> wrote:

> I think Sky Rider was intented to be the first remake of the rider series.

Actually, it was intended to be a revival of the series, otherwise the
name "Neo Shocker" makes no sense. Mostly, Producer Tohru Hirayama wanted
to go back to the basics, and launch a whole new series (but that only
lasted on sequel).

> From that I'm pretty sure that Kamen Rider Stronger was planned to be the last
> of the series.

Not really. STRONGER was dropped by the MBS network (the home of all the
previous Kamen Rider series), because of the poor ratings of X and AMAZON.
The series was picked up by the TBS network (the home of the Ultra
Series), and placed against MBS' Kamen Rider replacement SECRET TASK
FORCE: GORANGER, on the same night, and the same timeslot.

This killed the KAMEN RIDER series -- the faltering interest of viewers in
Kamen Rider, and the success of GORANGER.

--
August Ragone
Kaiju Productions

Stuart Johnson

Aug 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/13/00
On 13 Aug 2000 07:03:55 GMT, jonr...@aol.com (Ryuusei Productions)
wrote:

> Remember that (NEW) MASKED RIDER (Toei; 1979) was supposed to be a REMAKE
>of the first show! None of the other Riders were supposed to be in it.
>However, Toei can't let go of the other Riders, so they bought them back for
>this universe to keep the franchise alive. This is when the Riders, just like
>the Ultramen, became more of a "ooh, lookit' me, I'm dancing around so I can
>sell toys and raise TV ratings with my special appearance" thing than true
>characters. This is really annoying, and it damages them and their character,
>IMHO.

If New Kamen Rider's a remake why are the bad guys Neo Shocker?
I liked the Riders in Stronger, their help was actually needed and
they could actually beat up the bad guys. Strangely, when they're
unmasked, the Rider that looks the oldest to me is one of the
youngest, Amazon.

spoony_otaku

Aug 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/13/00
jonr...@aol.com (Ryuusei Productions) wrote:

>However, Toei can't let go of the other Riders, so they bought
them back for
>this universe to keep the franchise alive. This is when the
Riders, just like
>the Ultramen, became more of a "ooh, lookit' me, I'm dancing
around so I can
>sell toys and raise TV ratings with my special appearance"
thing than true
>characters. This is really annoying, and it damages them and
their character,
>IMHO.

Very true indeed! Constant pointless guest starring is what
made Ultraman Taro suck. I wouldn't mind these appearances so
much if they would bring in the actors and incorporate them a
little, not just a stuntman in a Kamen Rider/Ultraseven suit who
appears out of nowhere and helps.

> Hopefully, KUUGA, as with ULTRAMAN TIGA, will be the first
successful
>remake and honorably leave the old series alone. Strangely, I
wouldn't count
>on it. :(

Yes, but Tiga had a guest by the original Ultraman. I don't
mind this, because it was a well done tribute to Eiji Tsubaraya.
But the Tiga, Dyna, Gaia movie had another meaningless guest
thing- the 3 heisei Ultras were just made by that ball thing!
They should have brought back the actors. I know Daigo was busy
with V6, but what happend to Shin Asuka(Dyna)? Maybe he joined a
cult...

spoony otaku

Got questions? Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com

KRV

Aug 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/13/00

spoony_otaku wrote:

> with V6, but what happend to Shin Asuka(Dyna)? Maybe he joined a
> cult...

He (in real life) is busy with Yamada Mariya (Mai in Dyna).

KRV

August Ragone

Aug 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/13/00
In article <03f007ec...@usw-ex0102-013.remarq.com>, spoony_otaku
<spoony-ota...@satx.rr.com.invalid> wrote:

> But the Tiga, Dyna, Gaia movie had another meaningless guest
> thing- the 3 heisei Ultras were just made by that ball thing!
> They should have brought back the actors. I know Daigo was busy

> with V6, but what happend to Shin Asuka(Dyna)? Maybe he joined a
> cult...

It wasn't meaningless at all. The ball didn't make the other Ultramen,
they were wished from another dimension. Remember the basis for the
Gulliver's Travels idea in the film? Quantum Mechanics and multiple
worlds? This is probably the best Ultra Series film to date.

Peace Out,

ah_...@pacific.net.sg

Aug 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/14/00

spoony_otaku wrote:

jonr...@aol.com (Ryuusei Productions) wrote:

>However, Toei can't let go of the other Riders, so they bought
them back for
>this universe to keep the franchise alive.  This is when the
Riders, just like
>the Ultramen, became more of a "ooh, lookit' me, I'm dancing
around so I can
>sell toys and raise TV ratings with my special appearance"
thing than true
>characters.  This is really annoying, and it damages them and
their character,
>IMHO.

 Very true indeed! Constant pointless guest starring is what
made Ultraman Taro suck. I wouldn't mind these appearances so
much if they would bring in the actors and incorporate them a
little, not just a stuntman in a Kamen Rider/Ultraseven suit who
appears out of nowhere and helps.

   ya, these constant reapperances seem to undermine the strengths of the pioneer
   ultra brothers. They look quite helpless and their fighting abilities is pale in
   comparsion to their parent series. Taro is the one who saves the day though he
   is the youngest of the all.
   But with Leo, it is somehow different. There is more depth to the ultra brother
   characters. ultraseven seems all powerful, and is the captain of Leo.
   The other brothers help Leo in a bigger way. Each shows their strength and weakness,
   but so is Leo. Ultra King saves Leo a number of times, without which Leo may
   not have survived.