The Millennial Comet - Vol.2 Iss.6

WackiDixon

Jan 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/6/99
QUOTE:

"Was macht ein Mann/was macht ein Mann/der zwischen Mensch und Tier/nicht
unterscheiden kann/was."

"<<What is a man/what is a man/Who's between man and beast?/Can't seperate the
man/What.>>" --Rammstein, "Tier"

"The Millennial Comet"
http://come.to/thecomet

"The Millennial Abyss"
http://come.to/abyss

"The Donut Hole"
http://www.navnet.net/~csmith

--------------------
--------------------

T H E M I L L E N N I A L C O M E T

the unofficial "Millennium" newsletter

Writer/Editor-in-Chief: Brian A. Dixon (Wacki...@aol.com)

Volume 2, Issue 6

January 1, 1999

...there are 365 days remaining...

----------

-TABLE OF CONTENTS-

[NOTE: To skip to a particular article, do a word search for its title (written
in CAPITALS).]

INTRODUCTION

Happy Birthday to "The Millennial Comet" on its first anniversary as an
internet newsletter. Special thanks to the readers who've brought us this
far!!!

THE NEWS

Upcoming episode synopses, Reindl & Maher name their first script of season 3,
and "Entertainment Weekly" remembers what was big on "Millennium" in 1998...
sort of.

THE YEAR IN REVIEW

A look back at those who made a "Millennium" we loved in 1998, and a look ahead
at where these people will be going in the coming year.

THE PASSING OF SEASONS

Robert N. Sago provides us with a brief overview of the changes that have
occured with the passing of our show's seasons, from his point of view.

DEFINING THE MILLENNIUM GROUP

Stefan Wegzyn, in his first Comet article, provides a "Beginner's Guide to the
Group", detailing the history, structure, and nature of the Millennium Group.

REALITY

Attorney at Law Martin G. Hilliard contributes an article concerning how crime
causes a loss of innocence in a child with his piece "The Blood of Eden".

OFF TOPIC

Joe Tangari presents a millennial music review for the year 1998 and grants
special focus to Radiohead.

----------

-INTRODUCTION-

Welcome to "The Millennial Comet's" FIRST ANNIVERSARY ISSUE!!!

"The Millennial Comet" had its first issue sent to readers in late January of
1998. Now, one year later, we're still going... stronger and larger than ever
before. We've grown so much in the past year, and we've got so much more to
grow. We've entered 1999, a year whose powerful relevance to "Millennium"
hardly requires special attention. 2000 is on its way, and its effect on our
favorite series will surely be monumental.

This issue, being the landmark special that it is, I've tried to line up
relevant and heavy articles from most of our staff. I've written THE YEAR IN
REVIEW, a look back at those who contributed to "Millennium" in 1998. Robert
N. Sago, our faithful news agent, contributes THE PASSING OF SEASON, a look at
"Millennium's" seasonal changes since 1996. Stefan Wegzyn, a new addition to
the staff, gives us all a review of the history of one of the show's most
fascinating character elements, the Millennium Group. Last, but never least,
Joe Tangari gives us a musical review of the year that's passed us by.

This issue we have 740 subscribers, a rise of three since our last issue's
count of 737. A request: if you are e-mailing me to request that you be
removed from the Comet's mailing list, please add a little note informing me of
why you'll no longer be with us. It will certainly help me to better serve our
remaining readers.

Thank you all, for being the faithful and intelligent fans you have been in the
past year. I wish you all the best of luck in 1999, and your loyalty and
interest is always appreciated.

Here's to another great year of "The Millennial Comet"!!!

--Brian A. Dixon

-----------

-THE NEWS-

by "Millennial Comet" staff writer and Editor-in-Chief Brian A. Dixon
(Wacki...@aol.com)

UPCOMING EPISODES

1/15/98 - "Borrowed Time" - 3.10
Written by Chip Johannessen
SYNOPSIS: Frank and Emma investigate a series of apparent drownings that
occured on dry land and discover a serial killer interested in finishing off
those who have cheated death once before. Frank's troubles grow larger when
Jordan falls terribly ill....

1/22/98 - "Collateral Damage" - 3.11
Written by Michael R. Perry
Directed by Cliff Bole
SYNOPSIS: Peter Watts' life is shattered when one of his three beloved
daughters is abducted by an enraged Gulf War veteran who has turned to madness.
Frank is reluctant to help, but knows in his heart that he must...

Two very brief news bites this issue....

The title for Kay Reindl and Erin Maher's upcoming episode has been announced.
Their potentially mythology based show set to air closer to the spring is now
being called "Antipas."

"Entertainment Weekly", in their year ending review of 1998's events, mentions
"Millennium" as a television series only once throughout its 160 pages. Sadly,
that mention comes as nothing more than an end note at the bottom of a brief
blurb centered on "The X-Files". To quote what they found most noteworthy
about our show and its relevance to FOX and 1013 Productions, "...Zanier script
trouble ensues Sept. 21, when seven upcoming episode descriptions for Carter's
'Millennium' are reportedly stolen from a Fox executive's L.A. office. The
synopses subsequently turn up on an Internet newsgroup." Proof enough for FOX
that "Millennium" followers take their show addiction seriously... some too
seriously.

--Brian A. Dixon

-----------

-THE YEAR IN REVIEW-

by "Millennial Comet" staff writer and Editor-in-Chief Brian A. Dixon
(Wacki...@aol.com)

1998 was a big year for "Millennium" as a television series. Glen Morgan and
James Wong brought the second season to a powerful and shocking close, one of
the many factors that led to FOX granting the series a third season.
"Millennium" fans are, of course, forever greatful to the cast and crew who've
given us one of television's most inspiring series to follow. In this article
I hope to review the many places they've been, and perhaps highlight the places
they're all going...

"MILLENNIUM" found itself midway through its second season at the start of
1998. Religion and the Millennium Group dominated the show's scripts, and the
regular characters included Frank, Catherine, and Jordan Black, Peter Watts,
Lara Means, and Brian Roedecker. The powerful season finale, "The Time is
Now", changed the face of the series forever. The spread of the Marburgh
Virus, a grim alteration in the Millennium Group's opinions regarding human
life, Catherine's dramatic farewell, a dive into insanity for Lara Means, and a
tug-of-war concerning faith for Peter Watts resulted in much turmoil requiring
closure. After a great deal of worry among the fans concerning the idea of
renewal, FOX did indeed renew the series for a third season. How did the new
execs resolve the finale's conflicts? They simply didn't. Season three moved
on with Frank and Jordan relocated to Washington, D.C. The leads now include
Emma Hollis, Barry Baldwin, and Andy McClaren. Stories find their focus
shifting back to the ever present force of violent crime in the United States
of America, and Frank finds himself moving closer to the fateful year that
founded our series....

CHRIS CARTER made 1998 into a very productive year. His success with "The
X-Files" series and movie has pushed him to becoming one of FOX's favorite
employees and one of television's most popular visionaries. A deal providing
him with between $25 million and $30 million during the coming two years should
prove that, placing him along with "ER's" John Wells as one of the highest paid
Executive Producers in television. Most Hollywood insiders seem convinced that
one of the main reasons "Millennium" was even considered for a shot at a third
season continuation is purely because they wanted to keep Carter a happy and
cooperative man. Fans were pleased when, after ignoring his second child for
some time during the production of "The X-Files" 5th season and film, Carter
promised to return to a more involved position with "Millennium" during its 3rd
season. The third episode of season three, "TEOTWAWKI", fulfilled this promise
and was written by Carter and Frank Spotniz. The future promises further
involvement as well, with another Carter written episode on the way
("Matryoshka") and FOX's deal ensuring Carter will stay on as an Executive
Producer for the series for at least one more season. But how involved can the
man be in "Millennium's" growth with his attention so divided? Bantam Books is
interested in investing in Carter's creative abilities as well. He's signed a
$2 million deal to pen two supernatural based adventure novels in the coming
years. 1999 will show us how much of that precious fatherly attention
"Millennium" will be receiving before he inevitably, as all fathers must do,
lets go of his child....

TEN-THIRTEEN PRODUCTIONS has shared with Chris Carter's wealth and popularity
during the past year. "The X-Files" may make 1013 into a household number.
Their name ushered "The X-Files" movie into theaters just as it closes each and
every episode of our favorite television series. In the fall of 1999, 1013
will premiere its third television series, selected by FOX to be based upon the
comic book series "Harsh Realms". Further shows and films are sure to follow,
pushing 1013 right up there with Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich's Centropolis
Pictures to become one of the entertainment biz's creative powerhouses. Even
if Chris Carter does abandon "Millennium" in the future, the show will still
exist under the protective wings of the Ten-Thirteen logo. "I made this."

GLEN MORGAN & JAMES WONG, above everyone else on this list, deserve a shining
award of acheivement for 1998. Following through with their promise of
dedication given to "Millennium" fans before the start of season two, the two
Executive Producers and cheif writers did more than their fill of work on the
show during the close of the season. Their shocking, explosive, and brilliant
two part finale, "The Fourth Horseman" and "The Time is Now", left fans with
more than enough to talk about not only for the summer break of '98 but for
dozens of summers to come. Their involvement with the series brought so much
to the stories and characters that it will always be a hard feat to match. To
the sorrow of the fans, the two creative geniuses have moved on to bigger and
better things. Their rejected pilot for the Arsenio Hall series "Skip Chasers"
to CBS has not dampened their spirit. Keep your eye on the local movie
marquee. Morgan & Wong not only have rewritten the classic sci-fi film "The
Fantastic Voyage" (a project we may never see moved to fruition), pitched a
script for their own film, "Flight 180", but are currently rewriting the latest
Will Smith film, "The Mark" (set for a late '99 release). They're also
developing THREE series pilots for FOX, one concerning the life long history of
a black lounge singer. We're sure to see their names soon again in the near
future, and we all extend our thanks to them for what they've given us.

CHIP JOHANNESSEN found himself gaining a lot of power in 1998. To the delight
of the fans he moved, during the '98 season transition, from a position as one
of the show's most talented writers (penning such greats as "Walkabout",
"Maranatha", "In Arcadia Ego", and "Luminary") to holding the lofty position of
Executive Producer. Morgan & Wong's vacating of the position left it open to
one of the show's more seasoned writers, and Chip Johannessen seemed the most
likely choice. He's also found success outside Frank Black's universe: his
script for "The Crow: Salvation" was picked up by Miramax Films and begins
production soon. Mr. Johannessen's role with "Millennium" will surely
continue, and his scripts and involvement certainly something to keep an eye on
in the coming year...

MICHAEL DUGGAN found himself entering and leaving the "Millennium" world during
the small space of the fall of 1998. Having previously worked on NBC's "Earth
2" and ABC's "C16", FOX executives thought he might be a good partner for Chip
Johannessen in the Executive Producer role for "Millennium's" third season.
Duggan agreed, supposedly as a favor to friend Chris Carter. Unfortunately,
things did not work out. Duggan's short lived role in the series was weak at
best. He turned out one of this season's most disappointing scripts so far,
"Human Essence", just before leaving the series. Reasons given were that the
two, Duggan and "Millennium", simply never connected on a creative level.
Duggan was the wrong man for the job and has left Chip Johannessen to stand
alone below the Executive Producer mantle.

MARK SNOW continued to provide striking musical accompanyment to screen
adventures throughout 1998. Not only did he continue on in his role as
composer of the underscore music for "Millennium", "The X-Files", and USA's "La
Femme Nikita", but he also had the opportunity to utilize a full orchestra on
his score to "The X-Files" film and compose the score for the film "Disturbing
Behavior" (directed by another man from "Millennium's" past, David Nutter). On
top of his busy schedule, Mark found the time to talk with me and compose a
"Millennial Comet" exclusive interview for the fans. He intends to continue on
in his role providing background sounds for Frank and Emma's work in 1999, with
the possibility of a soundtrack CD release growing stronger all the time.

ERIN MAHER & KAY REINDL did their share of battling the FOX censors throughout
1998 in their roles as two of the best staff writers on "Millennium". It seems
to have become their staple to produce scripts that FOX has a problem with
representing. Their early '98 second season script "Anemnesis" (notable for
being the one and only Frank-less episode) had FOX shocked and appauled they
were trying to imply, on network television, that Jesus Christ had had sex.
They continued with "Fallen Angel", a script so full of religious issues,
violence, and gore that it has been dropped from the schedule and will never be
moved into production. Kay Reindl took time later in the year to write an
in-depth exclusive interview for "The Millennial Comet" which spanned two of
our issues. Our hats off to the two ladies, and our hopes for the greatest
success in the coming year (their first third season script, "Antipas", is on
the way)....

All in all, the cast and crew of FOX and 1013 Production's Friday night drama
"Millennium" have produced a fantastic year filled with intelligent and
artistic television. Our thanks to all involved, and our excitement in regards
to the year to come. Onward to 2000!!!

--Brian A. Dixon

As a final look back at "Millennium's" 1998, here are the TOP TEN EPISODES OF
1998, as selected by myself... I won't kid you, it's all personal opinion.
Fire up the VCR for a "Comet" selected tribute, here are my picks....

10. "Somehow, Satan Got Behind Me" 5/1/98
9. "In Arcadia Ego" 4/3/98
8. "Luminary" 1/23/98
7. "The Mikado" 2/6/98
6. "Owls" 3/6/98
5. "Roosters" 3/13/98
4. "TEOTWAWKI" 10/6/98
3. "Through A Glass Darkly" 11/13/98
2. "The Fourth Horseman" 5/8/98
1. "The Time is Now" 5/5/98

-----------

-THE PASSING OF SEASONS-

by "Millennial Comet" staff writer and news agent Robert N. Sago
(drpromet...@hotmail.com)

Like "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine", "Mission: Impossible", "Babylon 5", and
"Doctor Who", "Millennium" is a show that has made many a mid-course
correction, some of which have not been well received, all of which have taken
awhile to get used to. When "Millennium" made it's debut, Chris Carter told
Sci-Fi Universe "This is the show I wanted to make. It's not science fiction."
This comment angered many fans of Carter's freshman series, "The X-Files", and
is puzzling in light of the changes the show has gone through. I had heard
various tidbits about what "Millennium" was about from TVGUIDE, Cinescape, and
SFU. I pieced together the tidbits in my mind, and was convinced I was in for
something groundbreaking and ambitious.
The pilot did not strike me as groundbreaking and ambitous, but I thought,
"It's just a pilot, it's to show the potential." I thought the second episode,
"Gehenna", was awesome. I was disappointed with Dead Letters and the episodes
that followed it. The thought was "Ho hum, another serial killer of the week"
Toward the end of the season, I was won over. But the large number of serial
killer of the week episodes, had injured the series ratingswise.
I heard about the makeover that season 2 would be getting, and I was ecstatic
about nearly everything I heard. The new season would be headed by Glen Morgan
and James Wong, show-runners, not like the contract writers who were in charge
of season 1. Season 2 was what I hoping the show would be like when I first
tuned in. There was a variance in tone, which I had always put in the 1013
suggestion box. The role of my favorite character, Peter Watts, was beefed up.
I instantly welcomed Roedecker, who reminded me of my days on the high school
yearbook staff. I wanted another three years of the show like that.
Unfortunatly, there was the ratings problem and the show's uncertain future.
That is why I had reservations when I saw the season finale feature surreal
imagery and an ill-advised end of the world denouement. A show that is
struggling cannot afford to have Natural Born
Killers-style imagery. I was wanting to things. One, for another season, and
two, for it to not take place in a "Mad Max"/"The Stand" type of environment,
which would grow old (and cheesy) real fast.
I was relieved when I learned that there would be another season, and it would
be close to what we've seen before. With the Millennium Group as "bad guys" and
the loss of Catherine(who I never really cared for), I thought there was much
potential. When heard that Morgan and Wong were leaving, and Carter was
returning, I grew nervous, because I remembered Carter's comment to SFU. I was
thinking, "Please God, don't turn the show into Carter's vanity project." At
the same time, I also realized that people had similar sentiments when they
heard about the planned changes for season 2. I have liked most of the new
episodes, but I thought the show's new leader, Michael Duggan, was wrong for
the show. It turned out that he felt the same way, and he left early. Now
that he is gone, I'm hoping that some season 2 elements will be restored.
1999 is likely to serve as a wakeup call for the writers, as the millennium is
already snaking it's way into the headlines. An NBC news broadcast revealed
that the FBI will closely watching millennial obsessed fringe groups, and
mentioned the phrase Teotwaki, the title for the season 3 Y2K episode. Another
NBC broadcast mentioned how the military is somewhat nervous about Y2K. Here's
hoping the writers take advantage of these events to give us some great
stories. And a show focusing on Peter Watts and a Roedecker/Y2K episode would
be nice too. :)

--Robert N. Sago

-----------

-DEFINING THE MILLENNIUM GROUP-

by "Millennial Comet" staff writer Stefan Wegzyn (al...@hotmail.com)

For someone who has only seen the first season, the Millennium Group is a
dedicated private investigating firm made up of ex-law enforcement officers.
To someone who has only seen the second season, the Millennium Group is a
heroic band of Bible believers who fight for God against the Devil and his
influences.
And for someone who has only seen the third season, the Group is a secretive
organization that tries to bury truths, like something out of X-Files.

So... Which is the accurate description? ALL OF THEM!

The Millennium Group is perhaps the most complicated yet most fascinating
element of our beloved TV program, Millennium. The Group's multi-layered
characterization can be difficult to understand at times. So, if you fit into
one of the categories above or still don't really understand the Group, let me
fill you in on their structure. Remember, since there isn't any real "guide to
the Group" released by the Millennium powers that be, some of the following is
a little personal conjecture.

THE ORIGIN OF THE MILLENNIUM GROUP

We know the Group was formed around 10 AD by a group of Christians avoiding
persecution. They basically formed the Millennium Group as a way of fighting
off the evils that were foretold in the Book of Revelations. However, Group
members began to turn on each other when the Hand of Saint Sebastian was
discovered. It was believed that whoever had possession of the Hand would have
the power to destroy the Devil and win the battle of good vs. evil at the end
of the Millennium. Needless to say, a lot of Group members wanted that Hand.
Some were willing to betray each other for it. Despite the fact that this
infighting had eventually been resolved, this theme of conflicting views and
beliefs would come back centuries later to haunt the Millennium Group.
Now, in modern times, the Group has manifested itself as a private law
enforcement consulting firm as a way to fight off evil.

THIS IS WHO WE ARE

This mysterious phrase, uttered by Group members to one another, holds a
meaning that only members truly know. It is widely believed that this phrase
is a reminder to themselves that they are "doing the right thing for humanity."
Whatever this phrase means, it is a very powerful notion in any context.

THE STRUCTURE OF THE GROUP

THE OLD MAN
In the Group, one wise man is chosen to be the spiritual leader. This chosen
one is dubbed the "Old Man" (usually because it is an old man who is chosen).
The Old Man has a number of tasks which include (but not limited to) initiating
candidates, providing moral guidance, making predictions, and providing any
high priority consultation. The Old Man commands the utmost respect in all
Group members, and his say is prime over all others.

THE ELDER
The Elder is essentially the leader of the Group. The Elder makes decisions,
approves the acception of Group candidates, gives orders, and is the head of
the Representative Board. All Group actions must have the Elder's approval.
The Elder may consult the Old Man at his discretion.

PATRONS
Patrons are special Group members who are assigned to recruit consultants to
the Group, then guide and educate them in the ways of the Group when the
consultant is accepted as a candidate. Some Group members will spend many
years as a patron.

CONSULTANTS AND CANDIDATES
After being introduced to the Group by a Patron, one can begin to work for the
Group as a consultant. Consultants have limited access to the Group's
resources and know nothing of the Group's origin, although they are led to
believe that they have full access and knowledge.
After an unspecified period of time, and once the consultant has unknowingly
proved himself "worthy," the consultant will then become a candidate for
membership into the Group. At this phase, the candidate's Patron will
gradually and carefully reveal the Group's origin and wider purpose.
Candidates will be given a higher access to the Group's resources. A candidate
will be sent to meet the Old Man. Then, he/she will go through unspecified
"tests" at determining what "evil" is as well as election sessions in which a
small handful of Group members will interview the candidate and assess his or
her candidacy and loyalty to the Group. If the candidate passes the elections
and the tests and has the Old Man's approval, the candidate will now be
accepted as a full member and all the Group's resources and secrets will become
available.

OWLS VS. ROOSTERS: THE STRUGGLE FOR CONTROL

The Millennium Group is comprised of a number of extremely intelligent
individuals who want to save the world. Unfortunately, some members of the
Group don't share the same beliefs. In recent times, a small Representative
Board has been formed where Owls and Roosters can both sit and appeal their
ideas to the Elder.
The Owls, or seculists, disregard any religion and believe solely in the
scientific. Their belief is that evil is the product of man and that the world
will be destroyed by a rift in the space/time continuum. Owls, at current
time, are the smaller of the two Groups and do not have as big of a voice as
the Roosters. They believe that the Roosters faith in the Bible will lead the
Group astray and therefore they will not be ready to deal with the world-ending
rift. The Owls also believe that if something resembling Biblical catastrophy
does not occur around the time of the new Millennium, then the balance of power
will shift to them and they will control the Group.
The Roosters, or theolosians, are the larger and more stable of the two
factions. Roosters are religious and follow the Bible. They believe a battle
of good vs. evil is coming with the new Millennium. However, they fear that if
an event does not occur soon, they will loose control and majority to the Owls.

THE COLLAPSE

In the 1990s, the Group found themselves at the most critical time in their
exsistence. The year the Roosters believed an event would occur was growing
near. The Roosters hit an all time high of control, religious hysteria exploded
in some members, and dependency on the Old Man increased.
Tensions between the Owls and the Roosters increased as well. An organization
of ex-Nazis known as Odessa saw this tension and exploited it, tricking the two
factions into fighting once more. Although it was discovered that they were
tricked by Odessa, the two factions still held high resentment against each
other. But the greatest tragedy of this incident was the death of the Old Man
at the hands of an Odessa hitman. The Elder took his place as the new Old Man,
and a new Elder was seated. This change would later result in a drastic
alteration within the Group.
In 1998, the Group's worst fears came to reality when a genetically engineered
weapons-grade strain of the Marburgh virus began to spread through birds.
Parts of Africa, Asia, and the United States' Pacific Northwest were the
hardest hit. The Group, in the late '80s, had developed a vaccine for the
virus and had administered it to Group members. However, the Group claimed
that not enough materials exsisted to make enough of the vaccine for the rest
of the world or for the families of Group members. This seemed to be the end
of the world. But all was not lost. Because Marburgh was such a fast killer,
it had no time to spread beyond the areas of infection. Many had died, but the
outbreak had faded away.
Some believe that the Group purposely spread the virus and vaccinated its
members as a way of ensuring that only Group members would inhabit the planet.
Sort of like populating the planet with those the Group saw worthy to be alive:
Themselves. But this has not been proven or disproven.
The Roosters have also been accused of trying to create their own catastophic
event at the year 2000 as a way of ensuring their control of the Group, but
this too can not be confirmed.
What can be confirmed, however, is the drastic change in the Group's behavior.
Without their chosen Old Man to guide them, and the former Elder trying to
fill his shoes, the Group has become much more fanatic. For example, the Group
has recently taken it upon themselves to execute people they feel have made a
discovery that can be "harmful" if the public had knowledge of it. The Group
also attempted to kill a group of psychics because they made a discovery about
the future that the Group wanted to be kept a secret. Although the censorship
of potentially harmful public knowledge is a practice the Group has been doing
for centuries, this recent murderous method was something the Old Man had been
trying to prevent prior to his death.
But now that he is gone, there is no one left to remind the Group of their
ages-old purpose. There is no one left to remind them of their morals and what
they are trying to save. The Group is disorganized now, and are trying
desperately to hold themselves together. Where they go from here and what
they'll do next is a mystery to anyone, even themselves.

--Stefan Wegzyn

-----------

-REALITY-

"The Blood of Eden"
This issue's commentary is contributed by a Comet reader, Martin G. Hilliard
(Mgh...@aol.com)

Adam and Eve were banished from Eden for choosing to lose their innocence by
gaining knowledge of good and evil when they ate the fruit. I believe this
story is more of an allegory for when humanity seeks to impose moral and
ethical responsibility on its members, than a theological one. We have always
revered innocence and sought to preserve it in our children for as long as
possible. This is what Frank tries to do in our favorite series with his
daughter, but his task is made more difficult by the fact that she is wise
beyond her years due to her gift. But, what of other children who are stripped
of their innocence and then strip others of theirs. What should be done with
them?
Last week in Savannah, Ga., a 13 year old boy was charged with aggravated
sodomy of a 4 year old. Allegedly, he and his friends sodomized the young
child. Unfortunately, this is not a strange occurrence in our society, but
what was strange, was that he was charged without a second doubt as an adult.
Without knowing more, it is obvious that this child was sodomized as a child,
and the victim has become the victimizer. What does it say about us as a
society that we don't think twice about trying a child who commits a heinous
crime as an adult, but one who may not understand completely the nature of what
he is doing? This child barely understood that what he did was wrong, but
since we do not deem him innocent due to what he is charged with...it is okay
to impose punishment as if he were an adult. This child had his innocence
stripped away from him at a very young age against his will, but we treat him
as if he were an adult without a second thought.
My beliefs were confirmed from the testimony at his preliminary hearing, he
did in fact suffer sodomy from family members for years and he does not fully
understand that what he did was wrong because after all it was normal in his
childhood that he be forcefully sodomized at such a young age. It is also
undisputed that he is not unique, that his innocence is lost forever, and no
matter what the outcome, another child's innocence, the victim's, has been
lost and it is but a matter of time before the victim becomes the victimizer as
well. No matter what punishment or the way in which it is imposed, our society
has lost something which it will never get back as well........... A belief in
the wholesomeness and innocence of childhood.

--Martin G. Hilliard

----------

-OFF TOPIC-

by "Millennial Comet" staff writer Joe Tangari (Velv...@aol.com)

MUSIC: "One Year Closer:1998 in Review"

Well, we may or may not be headed striaght for the Rapture, but the music of
the 90s has certainly provided us with no shortage of doominess and fear. From
the shotgun blast that took Kurt Cobain from us to the orchestrated doomsday
pop of England’s Divine Comedy, the 90s have been full of introspection.
Where this next year, the last of the Millennium (in the public’s eye, at
least. Lest we forget that the next Millennium actually does not begin until
the year 2001. Perhaps this will increase our show’s longevity) will take us
musically speaking is hard to say. Perhaps we can expect a little more
hedonism on certain fronts and a little more piety on others.
The musical enregy of the 90s, from a rock standpoint, has relied largely on a
sort of neurotic pulse, rathe than the love-mongering of the 60s or the big
solos of the 80s. Music, and indeed the world, are more fragmented than they
have ever been and the media is probably at its heights of power. The Bill
Clinton disaster in the US is perfect evidence that the media have the power to
influence history. Subgenre after subgenre has risen in the 90s- alt-country,
grunge, industrial, Britpop, techno, rave, art-country, etc. All are media
creations; the lines between genres are so hard to define that it’s hardly
worth it for a true music fan.
This past century has been perhaps the most complicated in history. In
centuries to come, the advent of nuclear science, air travel, space
exploration, genetics, computers, the Internet and a global economy will likely
be looked upon as important developments in the history of mankind. Like so
much else, music has changed more in this century-- in the past fifty years,
even-- than ever before and lyricists of all genres have certainly not been
quick to ignore bustle of our century.
We live in an impersonal, automated age and there can be no question about
that. This spirit is captured perfectly on the recordings of one of this
decade’s greatest bands: Radiohead. With three albums in the can, they are on
their way to becoming a classic act in their own time, a picture of 90s
insecurity and cynicism. The ever-melodic, brooding, sometimes chillingly
beautiful voice of Thom Yorke leads the charge over a battlefield of broken
guitars (Jonnhy Greenwood, Ed O’Brien), Mellotrons, bass (Colin Greenwood) and
an avalanche of percussion(Phil Selway). The band have always written fairly
vague lyrics, even on their first album, which is far more standard fare than
their subsequent two releases, featuring lyrics that are wide open to
interpretation.
Their second album, the Bends, was released in 1995 and is considered by many
to be a rock masterpiece. It proved them stylistically diverse and spoke for
an entire generation. The lyrics do not regard the modern world lightly. The
most stirring of all the album’s tracks is the power ballad “Fake Plastic
Trees,” perfect in its melodicism, musical simplicity and lyricism. The song
looks through Yorke’s lens at an artificial world where everyone wants to
escape, but no one can. “A fake plastic watering can/ for a fake Chinese
rubber plant...” Yorke sings, his voice sounding fragile, as though he is
speaking for an entire century of feverish activity that has managed to
culminate in all of this distance between people, all of this artificiality.
The crushing sadness of the music gives poigniancy to the oddest of lines as
Yorke croons “he used to do surgery/ for girls in the 80s,/ but gravity always
wins/ it wears him out.” The excess of the 80s has gotten a lot of backlash in
the 90s, including the phenomenon that all the plastic surgery and implants
eventually give in to gravity just like everything else.
Overall, the Bends is one of the most challenging and unique albums I’ve ever
heard, and in a sea of bad 90s pop, it is certainly a breath of fresh air. One
wonders if all of this millennial tension is a part of a natural process.
Humans have always responded to milestones and annivesaries. The list that
follows this article is ironic in that it celebrates the past year, which is
really only demarcated by the changing of a number. Certainly, the passage of
the Millennium counts as a huge milestone, religious as well as social. The
passing of any given 1000 years is inconsequential, hence no one thought
anything of it when the calendar turned from 1971 to 1972. With the
snowballing of technology, too, we’ve given ourselves lots of reasons to worry.

That’s my $0.02, anyway... I’ve compiled a couple of personal musical lists
for you. These are my Top 22 album picks and my Top 10 single picks for 1998
(I remind you that I haven’t heard everything):

Albums:
22. Neil Finn: "Try Whistling This"
21. Placebo: "Without You I'm Nothing"
20. Black Box Recorder: "England Made Me"
19. Midget: "Jukebox"
18. Butterfly Child: "the Honeymoon Suite"
17. Ash: "Nu-clear Sounds"
16. UNKLE: "Psyence Fiction"
15. Beck: "Mutations"
14. Rialto: "Rialto"
13. Warm Jets: "Future Signs"
12. Mercury Rev: "Deserter's Songs"
11. Eels: "Electro- Shock Blues"
10. the Frank & Walters: "Grand Parade"
9. Mach Five: "Mach Five"
8. the Divine Comedy: "Fin de Siecle"
7. 7% Solution: "All About Satellites & Spaceships"
6. the Boo Radleys: "Kingsize"
5. Manic Street Preachers: "This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours"
4. Lambchop: "What Another Man Spills"
3. Superdrag: "Head Trip in Every Key"
2. Pulp: "This is Hardcore"
1. Tindersticks: "Curtains"

Singles:
10. Ultrasound: “Stay Young”
9. Placebo: “Pure Morning”
8. Pulp: “Help the Aged
7. Midget: “Invisible Ballon”
6. UNKLE: ”Rabbit in Your Headlights”
5. Robbie Williams: “Millennium”
4. Tindersticks: “Rented Rooms”
3. Rialto: “Summer’s Over”
2. Ballroom: “Through the Day”
1. Manic Street Preachers: “the Everlasting”

Yours,
--Joseph M. Tangari

--------------------

We'd like to thank you the readers, once again, for supporting the Comet and
helping it to grow in the fantastic publication it is today. Thank you all,
very much. I promise you the same quality and dedication in the year to come.
2000 isn't far off, and we'll carry "Millennium" straight throught its
namesake....

--------------------
--------------------

-CREDITS-

EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
Brian A. Dixon (Wacki...@aol.com)

ASSISTANT EDITOR
Rodney Smith (rodney...@iname.com)

STAFF WRITERS
Joe Tangari (Velv...@aol.com)
Robert N. Sago (drpromet...@hotmail.com)
Stefan Wegzyn (al...@hotmail.com)

"The Millennial Comet"
Volume 2, Issue 6 - January 1, 1999
Visit the Comet's official homepage at...
http://members.aol.com/WackiDixon/index.html
--Brian A. Dixon
Editor-in-Chief "The Millennial Comet"
http://come.to/thecomet