Iron Guts Kelly

LTterp

Jun 6, 2002, 7:02:58 PM6/6/02
I just re-watched this eppy for probably the hundredth time, and there are
still lines that make me laugh out loud no matter how many times I see them.
Most of them happen right after Hawkeye and Trapper pronounce Kelly dead in
Houlihan's tent. My two favorite scenes:

Hawkeye: "If his last words were "I shall return", don't wait"
Houlihan: "this has never happened to me before"
Hawkeye "I'm sure its a first for him, too".

and later when they are in the VIP tent (where he just "VIP-ed away"):

Trapper: He had a massive myocardial infarction
General's aide: What does that mean?
Hawkeye: It means his pearl handled pistols are up for grabs

These are great lines delivered absolutely deadpan. I love Alda's comedic
acting in the early years, before he/the writers started being less subtle.
And let's hear it for Elsig (and Sid Dorfman too, I believe) for wonderful
writing.

Linda T.

"It's nice to be nice to the nice"

ESolomonso

Jun 6, 2002, 8:45:17 PM6/6/02
> ltt...@aol.com (LTterp)
>Date: 06/06/2002 7:02 PM

>And let's hear it for Elsig (and Sid Dorfman too, I believe) for wonderful
>writing.

Here here!

Eddie
======================================
If I want to chew the fat, I'll eat a sandwich.

Janie

Jun 6, 2002, 11:23:19 PM6/6/02
> >And let's hear it for Elsig (and Sid Dorfman too, I believe) for
wonderful
> >writing.
>
> Here here!

That goes double for me

Janie

Jun 6, 2002, 11:32:36 PM6/6/02

> These are great lines delivered absolutely deadpan. I love Alda's comedic
> acting in the early years, before he/the writers started being less
subtle.

Couldn't agree more.

I didn't start watching Mash until reruns, and I must admit, I favored the
later years at first. I think it had more to do with the fact that I just
happened to see more later year eps than earlier ones, and therefore got
used to them. Wow, what a difference a little age can have on one's opinion.
I'm almost to the point where I can't stand watching some of the later
stuff. Although there are some standouts from that period (most Winchester
scenes), they in no way compare to the Gelbart years. It's amazing that Alda
could stand to watch his character go from such comedic brilliance to a
boring sentamentalist. You would think he would have noticed the
difference... then again, he was a major contributer to this shift in
character.

Chadd VanZanten

Jun 8, 2002, 4:45:00 AM6/8/02
ltt...@aol.com (LTterp) sed:

> I just re-watched this eppy for probably the hundredth time, and there are
> still lines that make me laugh out loud no matter how many times I see them.

Oh gawl. Practically all the lines written around the "general's body
scene" are just golden. When I listen to dialogue like that, where
every line is so well-crafted and well-acted, I often think of what
those people went through back then, in the 70s, when the show was
finding its legs. The ratings weren't great, and that must have been a
bit of a disappointment. But there had to have been people on the
scene who knew that they were doing some really great work, and said
so. The writers, producers, and actors had to know within themselves,
too, that they were doing really, really good work.

Personally I like the exchange between Hot Lips and Burns, after
Trapper and Pierce have taken the general away. There is that ghastly
cut-away gaffe, but other than that, it's a great Burns-Hot Lips
moment.

I also really like early-MASH episodes in which there is action set at
night. There must be a couple dozen early season episodes where there
are various capers going on in the dead of night. There is a neat
chemistry or ambiance in these episodes, especially when there are
multiple goings-on that interweave and criss-cross. The Flagg episodes
come to mind, the poker games, Chief Surgeon Who, The Sniper, Tuttle,
Dobbs.

In the later seasons, they try to cast this spell, and I actually
don't mind the episode where it's really hot and CEWIII is doing his
taxes and Potter takes a sleeping pill, and Margaret has a rash on her
ass, etc., but still it doesn't measure up to the earlier episodes.

> These are great lines delivered absolutely deadpan. I love Alda's comedic
> acting in the early years, before he/the writers started being less subtle.

Yes, he hit a stride somewhere in there, had just the perfect delivery
for several seasons. I like to think that Alda's good years extend
past season 4 and 5. Even though the writing in those seasons began to
suffer, Alda held up well. He does a pretty good job with what he's
given. Later on he got a heeeeee-uge head and one can make the case
that he helped ruin the show, but you gotta love early Pierce.

> And let's hear it for Elsig (and Sid Dorfman too, I believe) for wonderful
> writing.

Okay then,
Chadd

Sir Rooke

Jun 9, 2002, 2:19:51 AM6/9/02
"...and ROCKETS! I want *plenty* of rockets!!"

"ESolomonso" <esolo...@aol.comnospam> wrote in message

SunKing23

Jun 10, 2002, 1:25:14 PM6/10/02
>And let's hear it for Elsig (and Sid Dorfman too, I believe) for wonderful
writing.

And for the wonderful writing here analyzing "Iron Guts Kelly" and the
evolution of the show in general (pun intended). I will go into this more
later, but i haven't watched that ep in such a long time that it will be fed to
the VCR when i can make time for it tonight. Right now i'm going through a
tough transitory period in my life, and M*A*S*H, MONTY PYTHON, THE SIMPSONS and
my old man's collection of "classic rock" are making it a bit tolerable, even
if i have checked out FINAL EXIT from a local library. But this is my third
mental breakdown since March 1998, and i wanna blow this sand stand. That's
what living is like in Arizona. Very few progressives, unlike the people on
this board.

Yours, etc.,

+<:-P <--Pope Nick, Executive Secular Consultant To the Swiss Navy (aka
Major Nick, also known as Major Disaster)

Elsig

Jun 10, 2002, 1:32:47 PM6/10/02
>And let's hear it for Elsig (and Sid Dorfman too, I believe) for wonderful
>writing.

I hear you - for both of us.

Many thanks.

LG

Elsig

Jun 10, 2002, 1:35:33 PM6/10/02

>>And let's hear it for Elsig (and Sid Dorfman too, I believe) for wonderful
>>writing.
>
>Here here!

Thanks, Eddie.

The episode was based on the experiences of Red Saunders, onetime UCLA football
coach and the actor, John Garfield, both of whom met their Maker while making
someone else.

LG

Elsig

Jun 10, 2002, 1:36:24 PM6/10/02

See earlier gratitude.

LG

Brad Filippone

Jun 10, 2002, 1:43:31 PM6/10/02
Elsig (el...@aol.com) wrote:
: >
: >>And let's hear it for Elsig (and Sid Dorfman too, I believe) for wonderful
: >>writing.
: >
: >Here here!

: Thanks, Eddie.

I understand that Attila the Hun met his demise the same way. The account
I read of this couldn't resist saying that he "died in action"

The Other Brad

Fletcher

Jun 11, 2002, 10:21:06 AM6/11/02
Yes, I hear he definitely went out with a bang. I can't *believe* I just
said that!!!

"Brad Filippone" <al...@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message

Brad Filippone

Jun 11, 2002, 10:14:41 AM6/11/02
Fletcher (oasis...@sympatico.ca) wrote:
: Yes, I hear he definitely went out with a bang. I can't *believe* I just
: said that!!!

Well, death comes to all.

The Other Brad

Mr C

Jun 13, 2002, 4:15:34 PM6/13/02
al...@chebucto.ns.ca (Brad Filippone) wrote in message news:<ae2og3$htl$1...@News.Dal.Ca>...
More recently, former VP Nelson Rockefeller. Originally, it was
released that he died while in his office, it turned out he died while
in his secretary.

Mr C

Elsig

Jun 13, 2002, 4:28:18 PM6/13/02
>More recently, former VP Nelson Rockefeller. Originally, it was released that
he died while in his office, it turned out he died while in his secretary.

It was a young woman named Megan. Would have been lovely if her last name had
been Whoopie.

LG

LG

ESolomonso

Jun 13, 2002, 5:15:33 PM6/13/02
> el...@aol.com (Elsig)
>Date: 06/13/2002 4:28 PM

LOL!
This didn't make Rockefeller's wife Happy!

Mibbitmaker

Jun 13, 2002, 5:35:32 PM6/13/02
esolomonso wrote:

>>el...@aol.com (Elsig)
>>Date: 06/13/2002 4:28 PM

>>More recently, former VP Nelson Rockefeller. Originally, it was released
>>that
>>he died while in his office, it turned out he died while in his secretary.
>>>

>>It was a young woman named Megan. Would have been lovely if her last name had
>>been Whoopie.

>LOL!
>This didn't make Rockefeller's wife Happy!
>
>Eddie

I know Dick Nixon's wife wouldn't stand Pat for that!

(Whew! I've GOT to learn to cut-and-paste!)
-----------------

"If there were more men like you, there'd be less men like you"

"...Because Buckwheat would've wanted it that way."
;-)

ESolomonso

Jun 13, 2002, 5:47:32 PM6/13/02
>mibbi...@aol.com (Mibbitmaker)
>Date: 06/13/2002 5:35 PM

>I know Dick Nixon's wife wouldn't stand Pat for that!

You should consider, only for this thread, calling Nixon "Richard." :-)

>(Whew! I've GOT to learn to cut-and-paste!)

Looks like you figured it out.

Mibbitmaker

Jun 18, 2002, 10:53:42 AM6/18/02
ESolomonso:

>You should consider, only for this thread, >calling Nixon "Richard" :-)

LOL. Interesting, though... a guy with a long nose, pronounced jowls, and wavy
(curly) hair... and his nickname is "Dick"...hmmm....

>>(Whew! I've GOT to learn to cut-and-paste!)

>Looks like you figured it out.

I've become a proficient faker! ;-)