Video tape offer

Tristia Watson

Jun 4, 1993, 12:01:14 AM6/4/93
Recently I posted a note about wanting the final MASH episode on VHS tape and
then I made mention of seeing all the episodes offered on VHS. This has caused
a couple of people to ask where I saw this tremendous offer and how they to
could take advantage of it.

Here's what I know...I saw an ad on late-night TV for all the episodes of MASH
on VHS Tape, 3 episodes per tape. The offer was $4.99 for the first tape and
then every month there after a tape would arrive and you pay only $19.99.
(Typical video tape scam, IMHO) Anyway, the company was Time Warner or Time
Life, maybe even Columbia Home Video...I don't remember because I wasn't
particularly interested.

One of the gentlemen who e-mailed me about this said that he contacted the
company and got all the information. If he would be so kind as to post this
info, I'm sure that the other folks who have asked would appreciate it.

(I'm sorry, but I didn't keep his e-mail address...)

BTW...I'd stil like that final episode!
| Tristia Watson CIR...@VAX1.UTULSA.EDU |
| Client Support Coordinator Phone: (918) 631-3500 |
| Computing & Information Resources Help Desk HE...@VAX1.UTULSA.EDU |

Gedaliah Friedenberg

Jun 4, 1993, 3:10:25 PM6/4/93

In article <1993Jun3.2...@vax1.utulsa.edu> cir...@vax1.utulsa.edu (Tristia Watson) writes:

>Here's what I know...I saw an ad on late-night TV for all the episodes of MASH

^^^

>on VHS Tape, 3 episodes per tape. The offer was $4.99 for the first tape and
>then every month there after a tape would arrive and you pay only $19.99.
>(Typical video tape scam, IMHO) Anyway, the company was Time Warner or Time
>Life, maybe even Columbia Home Video...I don't remember because I wasn't
>particularly interested.

Read below...

>One of the gentlemen who e-mailed me about this said that he contacted the
>company and got all the information. If he would be so kind as to post this
>info, I'm sure that the other folks who have asked would appreciate it.

Here is the deal with Columbia House (I got this info directly from
their customer service folks):

They have MASH (digitally enhanced for better color) on Videotape.
Each tape has 3 episodes (entirely un-cut). The episodes on their
tapes are not in order (they made the best episodes on video #1,
next best on #2, etc). THERE ARE CURRENTLY ONLY 15 VIDEOS AVAILABLE
(45 shows). This means that there are still 206 shows not on tape
(251 total shows). UNLESS THERE IS GREAT DEMAND, THEY ARE NOT
PLANNING ON MAKING ANY MORE TAPES. The current prices are $4.95 for
the first video, and $19.95 for each video after that (plus shipping
and handling ~$2.95).

To get the 15 tapes available now, you would have to pay:

$4.95 + (14 x $19.95) + (15 x $2.95) = $328.50

If they were offering the entire series (assuming the final episode
were its own tape):

There would be 85 total tapes (83.3 (round up to 84) of 3 shows apiece
plus 1 final episode) = 251 total.

$4.95 + (84 x $19.95) + (85 x $2.95) = $1,931.50
^^^^^^^^^

I think that this is even more money than the budget per episode for
the series itself ;^)

This might be worth adding to the FAQ one day. I am sure that more
people will ask about the Columbia House offer for quite awhile yet.

>--
> | Tristia Watson CIR...@VAX1.UTULSA.EDU |
> | Client Support Coordinator Phone: (918) 631-3500 |
> | Computing & Information Resources Help Desk HE...@VAX1.UTULSA.EDU |

Gedaliah Friedenberg
-=-Department of Mechanical Engineering
-=-Department of Metallurgy, Mechanics and Materials Science
-=-Michigan State University

Edwards Samuel H

Jun 7, 1993, 9:46:32 AM6/7/93
The episodes are also of the first series of MASH, Henry, Trap and
the gang. I just stopped the mail-order, with the last tape having
Five-o-clock Charlie on it (one of my favorites). The tapes are of
high-quality, and do contain scenes I didn't remember, but the price
is way up there, after shipping it's 24.95 each. My girlfriend (who
lives outside of DC) has been taping all the episodes in order, and
I find that much easier (and cheaper) to get my full set. Also I got
the final episode (bought it off a video store going out of business).
--
| Samuel H. Edwards
/0\ edw...@sde.mdso.vf.ge.com
\_______[|(.)|]_______/ ASTA Operations Engineer (Martin Marietta)
o ++ 0 ++ o My opinions in no way reflect my employer's
The RF-4E Phantom - Living proof that if you put enough engine on
something...even a BRICK could fly! W. Weasel