It was 30 years ago today.....

Cyn

Sep 17, 2002, 9:30:35 AM9/17/02
I would have....but it was past my bedtime...I was 2
*hears groans all over the internet at that tidbit*

Cyn
=^..^=

George Hiebert wrote:

> .....that the Mash pilot first aired, Sep 17, 1972. I think that deserves at
> least a toast or something.
>
> How about a little roll call. Who among us tuned in on that fateful day when
> the new show called Mash debuted?

George Hiebert

Sep 17, 2002, 8:56:21 AM9/17/02

Susan Cleary

Sep 17, 2002, 10:37:17 AM9/17/02
> .....that the Mash pilot first aired, Sep 17, 1972. I think that deserves at
> least a toast or something.

LG, what were you doing/thinking 30 years ago today?
Were you anxious about the pilot airing?

> How about a little roll call. Who among us tuned in on that fateful day when
> the new show called Mash debuted?

Can't recall...I was almost 10 years old, and I was probably
more concerned about the Partridge Family & Brady Bunch
at the time.

Douglas Krause

Sep 17, 2002, 11:29:08 AM9/17/02
#
#How about a little roll call. Who among us tuned in on that fateful day when
#the new show called Mash debuted?

I was a very late comer. I think I started watching around 80 or 81.
There were 3 reruns a day where I lived so I did lots of catching up.

Elsig

Sep 17, 2002, 11:40:27 AM9/17/02
> LG, what were you doing/thinking 30 years ago today?
Were you anxious about the pilot airing?

Thirty years ago today, I was busy working on future scripts for the balance of
our first season.

I was anxious, of course, having seen some of the show's reviews in advance
(TIME magazine said we were the biggest disappointment of the year), I was
anxious to see what sort of ratings we'd get (ratings meaning either an
extended run or a death sentence), anxious to see what the public, my friends,
my family, my peers thought.

We. who were responsible for the show, felt extremely proud of what we had
done, but we had no idea whether others would view our work as positively.

How could just a few days ago turn so inexplicably into thirty years? I must
get myself a slower calendar.

LG
,

ron...@webtv.net

Sep 17, 2002, 11:21:03 AM9/17/02
my mom told me that 30 years ago she was playing bridge with her ladie's
club and my late dad watched me that day and for most of that episode he
was changing my diaper so neither of us watched much of it lol i was
only one but tonight at 8:30 eastern im going to have a martini one so
dry in honor of hawkeye and watch the pilot on dvd without the laugh
track
Radar:here it comes.
spearchucker:i dont hear anything.
Radar:wait for it.
as was in the pilot's opening
September 17th 1972

Davehall1148

Sep 17, 2002, 11:52:16 AM9/17/02
>ct: Re: It was 30 years ago today.....
>From: dkr...@ratcage.com (Douglas Krause)
>Date: 9/17/2002 8:29 AM Pacific Daylight Time
>I sure watched the first episode, my grandfather is a retired Command Seargent
Major. You did not speak while M*A*S*H was on, or you got thrown out of the
living room.

Hogne B. Pettersen

Sep 17, 2002, 2:00:45 PM9/17/02
"George Hiebert" <ge...@shaw.ca> writes:

I was born nine days later...... wich reminds me I'll be 30 in 9 days....

M*A*S*H wasn't on norwegian tv at that time either.

--
-Elf-
NEW MAIL: e...@elfworld.org URL: http://www.mo.himolde.no/~elf/ IRC: Elf/Alv

Linux user: "Ok, the GUI sucks, but see how fast and reliable it is?"
Windows user: "It hasn't crashed since yesterday!"
Mac-user: "Look, how it matches the furniture!"

Dwayer

Sep 17, 2002, 1:56:39 PM9/17/02
In message <VDFh9.336377$v53.16...@news3.calgary.shaw.ca>, "George
Hiebert" <ge...@shaw.ca> wrote:

Well, I'll have to pop that into the DVD player and have a martini.

I was not watching, as my debut was still 3 years away.

Cheers.
Will
--
****
"If people don't know what you're doing,

TheBab5Kat

Sep 17, 2002, 3:22:47 PM9/17/02
>How about a little roll call. Who among us tuned in on that fateful day when
>the new show called Mash debuted?

Guilty -- I was there watching...

Kat

Webshrink

Sep 17, 2002, 3:47:55 PM9/17/02
"George Hiebert" <ge...@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:<VDFh9.336377$v53.16...@news3.calgary.shaw.ca>...

Coming from a military family, Mash was a must see and no disturbances
allowed. Loved it then and still love it now!

:)Webshrink

Erin Q.

Sep 17, 2002, 6:30:10 PM9/17/02
"George Hiebert" <ge...@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:<VDFh9.336377$v53.16...@news3.calgary.shaw.ca>...

I was born almost five months after the last episode first aired, does
that count? I'm still playing catchup. (Which no one who knows me
believes whenever I tell them that I still haven't seen every
episode.)
Erin Q.

ESolomonso

Sep 17, 2002, 7:03:14 PM9/17/02
> "George Hiebert" ge...@shaw.ca
>Date: 09/17/2002 8:56 AM

>.....that the Mash pilot first aired, Sep 17, 1972. I think that deserves at
>least a toast or something.

I'll have the "or something" please.

>How about a little roll call. Who among us tuned in on that fateful day when
>the new show called Mash debuted?

Ahh, I remember it well. I was worried about going to Viet Nam at the time. I
was 17. I watched the Pilot with my father.
I had made up my mind that war isn't something I would put on my list of things
to do today.

Eddie
======================================
If I want to chew the fat, I'll eat a sandwich.

AlanAlda1Fan

Sep 17, 2002, 7:29:51 PM9/17/02
I wasn't born yet my mom & dad were big fans of mash.

From A Big Alan Alda M*A*S*H Fan Kirsten

Brad

Sep 17, 2002, 7:33:12 PM9/17/02

"Hogne B. Pettersen" <e...@elfworld.org> wrote in message

> "George Hiebert" <ge...@shaw.ca> writes:
>
> | .....that the Mash pilot first aired, Sep 17, 1972. I think that
deserves at
> | least a toast or something.
> |
> | How about a little roll call. Who among us tuned in on that fateful day
when
> | the new show called Mash debuted?
> |

> I was born nine days later...... wich reminds me I'll be 30 in 9 days....

I was born 3 months and two days later ... which reminds me, I'll be 30 in 3
months and two days ... 2 months and 24 days after you :P

--
Brad

COLLECTORZZONE

Sep 17, 2002, 7:53:22 PM9/17/02
I WAS IN THE 2ND GRADE

George Hiebert

Sep 17, 2002, 8:54:38 PM9/17/02

"ESolomonso" <esolo...@aol.comnospam> wrote in message

> > "George Hiebert" ge...@shaw.ca
> >Date: 09/17/2002 8:56 AM
>
> >.....that the Mash pilot first aired, Sep 17, 1972. I think that deserves
at
> >least a toast or something.
> >

> I'll have the "or something" please.

I get your meaning,
heh heh.

> >How about a little roll call. Who among us tuned in on that fateful day
when
> >the new show called Mash debuted?
> >

> Ahh, I remember it well. I was worried about going to Viet Nam at the
time. I
> was 17. I watched the Pilot with my father.
> I had made up my mind that war isn't something I would put on my list of
things
> to do today.

I was a young lad of 10 and I remember it like yesterday. I convinced my dad
it was something we should watch that night, and having seen the movie, he
agreed.
My first taste of Elsig humour, I was hooked.

leiza_jayne

Sep 17, 2002, 8:53:11 PM9/17/02
and I was born two years later. That makes me (oh my God) 30. sob sob
sob.

leiza_jayne

Sep 17, 2002, 9:00:45 PM9/17/02
sorry, I was meant to say two days later
"leiza_jayne" <leiza...@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message

Shari

Sep 17, 2002, 9:14:21 PM9/17/02
> How about a little roll call. Who among us tuned in on that fateful day
when
> the new show called Mash debuted?

I couldn't quite make out what was going on through the slats in my crib ;-)

Brent Seguine

Sep 17, 2002, 10:13:54 PM9/17/02
>Subject: It was 30 years ago today.....
>From: "George Hiebert" ge...@shaw.ca
>Date: 9/17/02 8:56 AM Eastern Daylight Time

>How about a little roll call. Who among us tuned in on that fateful day when
>the new show called Mash debuted?

Yo! (Sorry, couldn't keep it to myself.)

Thomas Stillabower

Sep 17, 2002, 9:57:48 PM9/17/02
Has it really been that long ago? I was sixteen at the time. I was there
that Sunday night. M*A*S*H was sandwiched between Anna & the King
(starring Yul Brenner and lasted only 13 weeks) and the second season of
the New Dick Van Dyke Show. I had audiotaped the show with commercials
intact (I think the tape is somewhere around the house, but the leader
is broken and I haven't gotten around to fixing it). Anyway, I think
I'll also dig out the DVD and watch it again.

PAUL GADZIKOWSKI

Sep 17, 2002, 10:55:25 PM9/17/02
Erin Q. <lesmi...@hotmail.com> wrote:
: I was born almost five months after the last episode first aired, does

: that count? I'm still playing catchup. (Which no one who knows me
: believes whenever I tell them that I still haven't seen every
: episode.)

Remind them that there are two hundred and fifty-one.

--
Paul Gadzikowski, scar...@iglou.com since 1995
http://members.iglou.com/scarfman

I don't use "Coke" generically. I just assume a restaurant serves it till
I discover otherwise.

ESolomonso

Sep 17, 2002, 10:55:47 PM9/17/02
>"George Hiebert" ge...@shaw.ca
>Date: 09/17/2002 8:54 PM

>I was a young lad of 10 and I remember it like yesterday. I convinced my dad
>it was something we should watch that night, and having seen the movie, he
>agreed.
>My first taste of Elsig humour, I was hooked.

It didn't take a whole lot of watching to get hooked on Elsig's brand of
comedy. I'm still hooked.

Mary L. Wallace

Sep 17, 2002, 11:59:13 PM9/17/02
I missed the first episode but I started watching the second week and
have been hooked ever since.

Finest Kind!

Mary Lou Wallace

"Ahhhh....Bach!"

Dan

Sep 18, 2002, 12:42:07 AM9/18/02
>How about a little roll call. Who among us tuned in on that fateful day when
>the new show called Mash debuted?

Yes, and I clearly remember it.

I was 7 years old. my brother was stationed in Korea at the time, and I
remember my Dad turning on MASH because he "wanted to see what Korea looked
like."

And...we decided to stick around for 11 years or so :-)

Thanks, Elsig!

Dan

(remove NoSpam to Email)

Ron

Sep 18, 2002, 3:26:50 AM9/18/02
Friends,

I was a mere (Negative) -11 years old when MASH came out 30 years
ago. I did remember the anniversary though because I marked it on my
calendar. In memory of this great show, I got tanked by drinking Dry
Martinis all day (Note it was daytime not night, stupid me) then my
friends and I walked back to my house, I put on my military school
BDU's and they said I was walking around singing the Gilligan's Island
Theme while asking women if they wanted to play doctor. It is now
2:16AM and I just regurgitated what looks like tacos but I'll clarify
that later today when I ask my friends. I also blew over 100 dollars
at the American Legion with drinks, took a hard blow to the head when
I fell into a urinal, and missed a full day of work. Sounds unreal? I
have pictures that are being developed tomorrow and my scanner is nice
and ready. So in this good day or yesterday's good day you've made
this 19 year old JROTC/ROTC boy into a clumsy singing martini drinking
drunk for a day -

Thanks MASH and until next year's adventure-
Happy 30th

Elsig

Sep 18, 2002, 11:58:38 AM9/18/02
Thank you, George.

LG (the kid hooker)

Elsig

Sep 18, 2002, 12:00:24 PM9/18/02
That's how getting kids hooked works, Eddie. The first ones are free (TV) -
now you have to pay (DVD) for your fix.

Thanks.

LG

Elsig

Sep 18, 2002, 12:01:52 PM9/18/02
Thank you, Dan.

LG

John Baxindine

Sep 18, 2002, 1:07:35 PM9/18/02
el...@aol.com (Elsig) wrote in message news:<20020917114027...@mb-fp.aol.com>...
> I was anxious, of course, having seen some of the show's reviews in advance
> (TIME magazine said we were the biggest disappointment of the year), I was
> anxious to see what sort of ratings we'd get (ratings meaning either an
> extended run or a death sentence), anxious to see what the public, my friends,
> my family, my peers thought.

One hopes that the television critic at TIME eventually saw the light...

Happy anniversary, Elsig.

John

ESolomonso

Sep 18, 2002, 1:26:03 PM9/18/02
>el...@aol.com (Elsig)
>Date: 09/18/2002 12:00 PM

An excellent analogy. But before the DVD's (Hardcore) there were the Columbia
House tapes.(The mild start)

ESolomonso

Sep 18, 2002, 1:29:07 PM9/18/02
>"R" r747*@att.net
>Date: 09/18/2002 3:45 AM

> Yo! [General Bartford Hamilton Steele: "Keep your 'yos' to
>yourself."]

The was Sherman Potter who said that when he took command.

Elsig

Sep 18, 2002, 2:23:19 PM9/18/02
Thanks, John.

Heather Cason

Sep 18, 2002, 3:59:08 PM9/18/02
Hi, y'all!!

I'm new to the group!!! I didn't tune in that night, and this is the best reason
of all. I wasn't born yet (Oct 22, 1973).

Heather

George Hiebert wrote:

> .....that the Mash pilot first aired, Sep 17, 1972. I think that deserves at
> least a toast or something.

Heather Cason

Sep 18, 2002, 4:18:43 PM9/18/02
Actually, by the looks of some of the responses, I wasn't the only one who wasn't a
twinkle in their parents' eyes.

Heather

David Brunt

Sep 18, 2002, 4:15:23 PM9/18/02
"Heather Cason" <hjc...@bellsouth.net> wrote

> Hi, y'all!!
>
> I'm new to the group!!! I didn't tune in that night, and this is the best
reason
> of all. I wasn't born yet (Oct 22, 1973).

Hi Heather

Welcome to the madhouse. There are many people here younger than you, as
well as those who are starting to drop years off their age....

David

ESolomonso

Sep 18, 2002, 4:30:57 PM9/18/02
>"George Hiebert" ge...@shaw.ca
>Date: 09/17/2002 8:54 PM

>> I'll have the "or something" please.
>
>I get your meaning,
>heh heh.

Something along the lines of SNL, I suppose. :-)

TheUberBob

Sep 20, 2002, 1:43:07 PM9/20/02
A few days late...

I was celebrating my third birthday.

-Bob-
--

To reply remove the spam block phrase "fukuisan" from the e-mail address.

"I'd take a bullet for safety."

Brad Filippone

Sep 22, 2002, 7:54:07 AM9/22/02
Let's have a party to celibrate the 30th anniversary of EVERY episode now!
We'll have 251 parties spread over 11 years, and we can even have 40th
anniversary parties before we finish!

The Other Brad

ShandaRose

Sep 22, 2002, 6:38:22 PM9/22/02
Sure Brad -- I'm game !!! I got the 1st 2 seasons on DVD -- so what is this
week's episode to celebrate? (it would be the 24th, right? uhh which day is
that?)

This could really drive my teenage daughter crazy -- a party a week -- to
celebrate Mash!!! heeheehee I love doing stuff to annoy her, just to see her
expressions!

Shanda

Brad Filippone

Sep 22, 2002, 11:44:33 PM9/22/02
ShandaRose (shand...@aol.com) wrote:
: >s have a party to celibrate the 30th anniversary of EVERY episode now!

Is everyone from this group invited?

The Other Brad

Ron

Sep 23, 2002, 4:19:56 PM9/23/02
al...@chebucto.ns.ca (Brad Filippone) wrote in message news:<amm2n1$pps$1...@News.Dal.Ca>...

That sounds inviting, but is there anykind of MASH conventions? I
think I shall hold one in Chicago. Get Alan and LG to come, you know
cause I know them so well with all the money I saved up begging on the
street. I'm up to a dollar and 2 buttons. But seriously, MASH
Convetions...?

-Ron

ESolomonso

Sep 23, 2002, 5:38:28 PM9/23/02
>Youn...@hotmail.com (Ron)
>Date: 09/23/2002 4:19 PM

>But seriously, MASH
>Convetions...?

I was actually turning that thought last night. What would it entail? How does
one go about starting it?