Goodbye, Fairwell, and Amen......a missed opportunity.

John Tidwell

Jul 19, 2001, 3:33:02 AM7/19/01
Ever since the final episode 1st aired, I've thought that they wasted
the perfect opportunity to bring back Trapper, Col. Blake, & Frank Burns
"one more time". They have Hawkeye sitting in the padded room & more than
likely on meds of some sort. Who's to say that Hawk couldn't have "visitors".

Oh well, I would have liked to see them again.

John Tidwell

Jul 19, 2001, 9:17:51 AM7/19/01
#1 way NOT to introduce yourself to the group.

Write your message after a long day & don't use spell checker!

That's Goodbye, FAREWELL, & Amen.

DOH!!!

Brad

Jul 19, 2001, 9:51:43 AM7/19/01
wedg...@yahoo.com (John Tidwell) wrote in message news:<6f69baa6.01071...@posting.google.com>...

Yeah, and Ugly John and Spearchucker too. And Col. Flagg. And Radar of
course. How about Lt. Dish?

Seriously though, I think there's probably one key flaw in having Col.
Blake in G.F.A. Does anybody or everybody know what it is?

I don't think Frank would have been in the least interested in coming
back to Korea to visit Hawkeye, and I think Hawkeye would have been
even less interested in seeing Frank.

--
Brad

Stacy

Jul 19, 2001, 12:37:44 PM7/19/01
mouse...@hotmail.com (Brad) wrote in message news:<bd359988.01071...@posting.google.com>...

I assumed he meant that Hawkeye would be imagining these people
(making an appearance by Henry possible), not that they would trek to
Korea for a heart to heart, but either way, I think it would have been
too much. More X-Files than M*A*S*H. IMO, Hawkeye got crazy enough in
GFA as it was.

Stacy

DoniaCorp

Jul 19, 2001, 3:28:25 PM7/19/01
> I don't think Frank would have been in the least interested in coming
> back to Korea to visit Hawkeye, and I think Hawkeye would have been
> even less interested in seeing Frank.

I think the original poster is alluding to the possibility that
Hawkeye's "visitors" could be hallucinations, either as a result of
his psychosis or the medicines he's taking for it.

An interesting idea. I tend to think, however, that the show had
changed so much by the time it ended that the earlier characters would
have seemed very out of place.

TD

John Tidwell

Jul 19, 2001, 7:07:16 PM7/19/01
Thanks Stacy, that's what I meant. Let's face it, once they decided to have
Hawkeye smother a baby, I don't think a few hallucinations would have
mattered. I've always pictured it as Hawkeye fighting his madness by drawing
on memories of friend & foe.

Speaking of X-Files,(or in this case maybe Twilight Zone), do you remember
the MASH episode with the parade of dead soldiers?

John

Brad

Jul 19, 2001, 9:24:06 PM7/19/01
doni...@yahoo.com (DoniaCorp) wrote in message news:<e4ade018.01071...@posting.google.com>...

> mouse...@hotmail.com (Brad) wrote in message news:<bd359988.01071...@posting.google.com>...
> >
> > I don't think Frank would have been in the least interested in coming
> > back to Korea to visit Hawkeye, and I think Hawkeye would have been
> > even less interested in seeing Frank.

My fault. I must have misunderstood the original question.

> I think the original poster is alluding to the possibility that
> Hawkeye's "visitors" could be hallucinations, either as a result of
> his psychosis or the medicines he's taking for it.

I don't think it was really M*A*S*H's style to do that sort of
television. I think the plight of Hawkeye was over-dramatized in GFA
already without him having to face characters from the past.

> An interesting idea. I tend to think, however, that the show had
> changed so much by the time it ended that the earlier characters would
> have seemed very out of place.

Yeah, I'll admit it's interesting, but hacky.

--
Brad

ScottSPM

Jul 20, 2001, 9:25:20 PM7/20/01
John Tidwell wrote:
> Speaking of X-Files,(or in this case maybe Twilight Zone), do you remember
> the MASH episode with the parade of dead soldiers?

And the one where they all had nightmares... man that scared me to death
when I was a kid and is giving me gooseflesh right now thinking about
it. Columbia House never released that one.

ScottSPM

MOFTAP

Jul 20, 2001, 10:17:53 PM7/20/01
>Let's face it, once they decided to have
>Hawkeye smother a baby

I haven't seen GFA for a while, but did Hawkeye actually smother the baby, or
did the mom end up smothering it because of Hawkeye yelling at her to keep the
baby quiet?

George Hiebert

Jul 20, 2001, 10:28:59 PM7/20/01

> > An interesting idea. I tend to think, however, that the show had
> > changed so much by the time it ended that the earlier characters would
> > have seemed very out of place.
>
> Yeah, I'll admit it's interesting, but hacky.

I dunno, maybe Hawk just hearing the voices of Henry or Trap, like having a
conversation inside his mind with his old buds as a way of working things
out, could've been kinda cool.
I know, it's a stretch.

John Tidwell

Jul 21, 2001, 12:51:57 AM7/21/01
Damn, I think you're right, sigh.......
Short term memory gone, long term memory going, diapers just around the
corner.

The mother did it & Hawk felt responsible.

Chadd VanZanten

Jul 21, 2001, 2:24:44 AM7/21/01
John Tidwell wrote:

>Ever since the final episode 1st aired, I've thought that they wasted
>the perfect opportunity to bring back Trapper, Col. Blake, & Frank Burns
>"one more time". They have Hawkeye sitting in the padded room & more than
>likely on meds of some sort. Who's to say that Hawk couldn't have "visitors".

Wow, that's an amazingly good idea, kinda. I suspect both Stephenson and Linville
were really showing their years by that time, but wow that is a cool idea. Not so
much for the merits of having a curtain call, but because it could have actually
put the notion of Pierce's insanity to good use. It could have been all creepy
but funny and wry.

Sounds like something out of the world of fan fiction.

Okay then,
Chadd

joan harkness

Jul 23, 2001, 8:02:08 PM7/23/01
If they could do that "dreams" episode, or the episode where Klinger is
talking to the dead soldier then they sure as hell could have done that.
That would have rocked. it would have made the finale a lot better than it
was. and the old cast members could have also been apart of the finale. I
always thought the final show was overrated. the whole storyline about
Hawkeye blocking out the mother killing the baby took up to much of the
show. when he finally returned to the the camp, then it was fine.

.H.

AlanAlda1Fan

Jul 23, 2001, 9:33:47 PM7/23/01
I disagree the last episode was not overrated it was a great final episode i
like it this is my opinion and everyone has a right to disagree with me if they
like.

From A Big Alan Alda & M*A*S*H Fan Kirsten

George Hiebert

Jul 23, 2001, 11:07:32 PM7/23/01

"AlanAlda1Fan" <alanal...@aol.com> wrote in message

Is this the end of an era? How come you're not capitalizing the first letter
of each word??

joan harkness

Jul 24, 2001, 1:46:02 AM7/24/01
Ho Hum. what else is new? you need a new gimmick.

.H.

AlanAlda1Fan wrote in message
<20010723213347...@ng-cd1.aol.com>...

John Tidwell

Jul 24, 2001, 8:34:48 AM7/24/01
That's interesting Joan. We both think the finale was overrated, but for
different reasons. I thought that putting Hawkeye in the psycho ward was
the most compelling & promising part of the show. I was really being drawn
in. Once the show switched back to camp, I found it to be as lame as most
of the latter year shows. Heck, for my money they could have let most of the
show take place in the rubber room & have the entire cast past & present
duke it out for Hawkeye's sanity. We could have had a tag team match pitting
Trapper & BJ against Frank Burns & Flagg. I imagine some of the folks on
the list will say "that's too far out there" or "it's over the line", but
hell, that's what made M*A*S*H great when it WAS great. The best shows were
the ones that didn't play it safe by following the usual idiotic TV formula.

Look what they did to Klinger over the years. When he first appeared on the
show, it was funny, but there was still an element of danger about the guy.
It's like they "Fonzied" him for mass appeal. By the time it was all over,
Klinger was as dangerous as Radar's teddy bear.

I don't know if it was all the writers' fault or whether some of the actors
got so much clout that they were able to dictate creative direction to foist
off their personal agendas. All I know is that when it went bad it went very
bad. And that's a shame.

AlanAlda1Fan

Jul 24, 2001, 9:05:13 AM7/24/01
I have a right to voice my opinions on this board joan and if you don't like
them don't read them them and learn to respect my opinions.

From A Big Alan Alda M*A*S*H Fan Kirsten

Cindy

Jul 25, 2001, 1:07:37 AM7/25/01
I thought it would be too much for a Mash episode too until I remembered
the episode where Klinger saw the dead guy's spirit when he was sick.
If they put that on, Hawkeye having visions of previous charachters
including a dead Henry Blake wouldn't be too much of a stretch.

joan harkness

Jul 25, 2001, 3:44:43 AM7/25/01
i have to read them if you respond to mine. new gimmick needed.

.H.

AlanAlda1Fan wrote in message
<20010724090513...@ng-mg1.aol.com>...

Robert D. Baker

Jul 25, 2001, 10:42:27 AM7/25/01

John Tidwell wrote in message
<6f69baa6.01071...@posting.google.com>...

>Thanks Stacy, that's what I meant. Let's face it, once they decided to have
>Hawkeye smother a baby,

Uhm, that's not what happened.

Mibbitmaker

Jul 31, 2001, 10:33:26 PM7/31/01
While we're on the topic of the last episode and alternate possibilities, what
did anyone here think of the idea that Elsig mentioned in the Newsweek issue
that came out when the finale aired? The idea included Hawkeye adressing the
audience about not being able to capture the real pain and dying of war on a tv
show at the end.

It was suggested by the magazine that nobody'd take it that far(something to
that effect). I don't know about the idea per se, but if it WAS done, it would
make sense in the episode suggested in the 1st post here.

joe crouse

Sep 8, 2001, 10:41:40 PM9/8/01
i think he meant as halucinations

Brad wrote: