Original Father

Bookem

Nov 20, 2002, 9:14:08 PM11/20/02
Does anyone know why there was a different actor portrarying Father Mulcahy
in the first television episode. I believe the actor's name is George
Morgan. William Christopher portrayed the priest in the remainder of the
episodes, but it was George Morgan who won the trip to Tokyo with Lt. Dish
in that episode.

Brad Filippone

Nov 20, 2002, 9:37:45 PM11/20/02
Bookem (dan...@mwt.net) wrote:
: Does anyone know why there was a different actor portrarying Father Mulcahy

: in the first television episode. I believe the actor's name is George
: Morgan. William Christopher portrayed the priest in the remainder of the
: episodes, but it was George Morgan who won the trip to Tokyo with Lt. Dish
: in that episode.

Dish was quite a woman. Mulcahy came back a changed man!

The Other Brad

Heidi

Nov 21, 2002, 9:49:45 AM11/21/02
Here's a question, what is George Morgan doing nowadays? William Christopher
is doing theatre now!

Chadd VanZanten

Nov 21, 2002, 10:46:13 AM11/21/02
This one time, "Bookem" <dan...@mwt.net> was all like:

> Does anyone know why there was a different actor portrarying Father Mulcahy
> in the first television episode.

Well, it was a TV pilot, and TV pilots can be tweaked, re-worked, or
thrown out with the garbage. I've always assumed that someone, after
seeing the finished product, just didn't feel like this George Morgan
fellow was right for the part. OTOH, George Morgan himself could have
felt the part wasn't right for him and left (can you imagine, if this
was the case, how hard he must have kicked himself?).

Okay then,
Chadd

Dwayer

Nov 21, 2002, 1:01:13 PM11/21/02
In message <e4aeab71.02112...@posting.google.com>,

From the horse's mouth:

From: el...@aol.com (Elsig)
Date: 06 Aug 2002 15:59:25 GMT
Subject: Re: A Question or 2, ok 3

>> Can anybody tell me why the actor (George Morgan?) who played F.
>> Mulchahey was replaced?

> George Morgan is a perfectly fine actor. We wanted someone who had a
> quirkier personality - one we wouldn't have to write into the script.
>
> LG
<http://groups.google.com/groups?q=george+morgan+group:alt.tv.mash+author:elsig%40aol.com&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=off&selm=20020806115925.15382.00002387%40mb-dh.aol.com&rnum=2>

I think this is FAQ material, if you don't already have it in there,
Elf.

Cheers,
Will
--
****
"If people don't know what you're doing,

Brad

Nov 21, 2002, 9:38:26 PM11/21/02

"Dwayer" <dwa...@pcisys.net> wrote in message
> In message <e4aeab71.02112...@posting.google.com>,

> From the horse's mouth:
>
> From: el...@aol.com (Elsig)
> Date: 06 Aug 2002 15:59:25 GMT
> Subject: Re: A Question or 2, ok 3
>
> >> Can anybody tell me why the actor (George Morgan?) who played F.
> >> Mulchahey was replaced?
>
> > George Morgan is a perfectly fine actor. We wanted someone who had a
> > quirkier personality - one we wouldn't have to write into the script.
> >
> > LG

The "Pete Best" of M*A*S*H.

--
Brad

ESolomonso

Nov 22, 2002, 12:15:05 AM11/22/02
>"Brad" mouse...@hotmail.com
>Date: 11/21/2002 9:38 PM

>> > George Morgan is a perfectly fine actor. We wanted someone who had a
>> > quirkier personality - one we wouldn't have to write into the script.
>> >
>> > LG

>The "Pete Best" of M*A*S*H.

An excellent analogy!
IIRC, Pete Best was given some big bucks not too long ago from the Beatles or
the Beatles management. Something like that anyway.
I don't think George Margan was given anything.

Eddie
======================================
If I want to chew the fat, I'll eat a sandwich.

JayZ755

Nov 22, 2002, 12:41:28 AM11/22/02
>An excellent analogy!
>IIRC, Pete Best was given some big bucks not too long ago from the Beatles or
>the Beatles management. Something like that anyway.
>I don't think George Margan was given anything.
>
>Eddie

Some tracks that Best drummed for were featured on the first Anthology release;
that's probably the source of the payment.

Jay

This space intentionally left blank.

Brad

Nov 22, 2002, 6:36:16 AM11/22/02

"JayZ755" <jay...@aol.comspamaway> wrote in message

> >An excellent analogy!
> >IIRC, Pete Best was given some big bucks not too long ago from the
Beatles or
> >the Beatles management. Something like that anyway.
> >I don't think George Margan was given anything.
> >
> >Eddie
>
> Some tracks that Best drummed for were featured on the first Anthology
release;
> that's probably the source of the payment.

Interestingly though, and I don't want to sway too far off topic, but I've
heard those early recordings with Pete Best on drums, one of which was
"Please Please Me" IIRC. The drumming sounded fine to me. But George
Martin's ear is well and truly more musical than mine.

--
Brad

ESolomonso

Nov 22, 2002, 2:09:25 PM11/22/02
> jay...@aol.comspamaway (JayZ755)
>Date: 11/22/2002 12:41 AM

>Some tracks that Best drummed for were featured on the first Anthology
>release;
>that's probably the source of the payment.

After hearing those tracks, I understood why George Martin didn't want him in
the studio.

ESolomonso

Nov 22, 2002, 2:14:54 PM11/22/02
>"Brad" mouse...@hotmail.com
>Date: 11/22/2002 6:36 AM

>Interestingly though, and I don't want to sway too far off topic,

Elf will give you a summons if you do. :-)

> but I've
>heard those early recordings with Pete Best on drums, one of which was
>"Please Please Me" IIRC. The drumming sounded fine to me.

Listen to it again. Timing is not the problem but his beat changes are. He's
too much all over the place. You can get away with that live in concert but not
in a studio and that was Martin's biggest complaint.

>But George
>Martin's ear is well and truly more musical than mine.

He's a classically trained musician and has played several bits on Beatles
records like some piano parts. I think he's proven that he's one of the best
producer/engineers out there.

George Hiebert

Nov 22, 2002, 9:07:18 PM11/22/02

"ESolomonso" <esolo...@aol.comnospam> wrote

> Listen to it again. Timing is not the problem but his beat changes are.
He's
> too much all over the place. You can get away with that live in concert
but not
> in a studio and that was Martin's biggest complaint.

I guess you're right, however I've heard a few live tracks with ol' Pete and
he sounded ok to me. Part of it of course was jealousy, he was more of a
pretty boy than Paul, so they axed him.

George Hiebert

Nov 22, 2002, 9:17:00 PM11/22/02

"Brad" <mouse...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Hey this gives me an idea. Let's do a Beatles/M*A*S*H analogy.

I'd say:

Klinger = Ringo
Trapper = John
Hawkeye = Paul
BJ = George (the quiet one), and
Spearchucker = Stu Sutcliffe, he didn't stick around too long.

Brad

Nov 22, 2002, 11:28:55 PM11/22/02

"George Hiebert" <ge...@shaw.ca> wrote in message

> > The "Pete Best" of M*A*S*H.
>
> Hey this gives me an idea. Let's do a Beatles/M*A*S*H analogy.
>
> I'd say:
>
> Klinger = Ringo
> Trapper = John
> Hawkeye = Paul
> BJ = George (the quiet one), and
> Spearchucker = Stu Sutcliffe, he didn't stick around too long.

I'd probably swap over Trapper and Hawkeye and make Hawkeye "John" and
Trapper "Paul". To me, Trapper was the one most likely to write silly love
songs. How about:

Colonel Blake = Brian Epstein
Dish = Jane Asher

--
Brad

ESolomonso

Nov 23, 2002, 1:16:01 AM11/23/02
>jay...@aol.comspamaway (JayZ755)
>Date: 11/22/2002 12:41 AM

>Some tracks that Best drummed for were featured on the first Anthology

>release;
>that's probably the source of the payment.

I don't think that's it. He probably got paid to play the original tracks but
never held any copyrights.
I seem to remember then giving him a cool 2 million because they felt bad. I
wish someone would feel that badly for me!

ESolomonso

Nov 23, 2002, 1:25:14 AM11/23/02
> "George Hiebert" ge...@shaw.ca
>Date: 11/22/2002 9:07 PM

>I guess you're right, however I've heard a few live tracks with ol' Pete and
>he sounded ok to me.

Right. Like I said, you can do that live simply because you're doing it once.
Nobody will notice it as they would with a released studio cut.

>Part of it of course was jealousy, he was more of a
>pretty boy than Paul, so they axed him.

I've never heard that. If that's true, then Best really, and I mean really got
screwed.
I have George Martin on The Complete Beatles saying he wouldn't let Best play
with them in the studio and I believe he was talking to John at the time. He
wasn't concerned with live shows, only studio sessions. Judging by the success,
I suppose Martin knows what he's talking about. I wish he would produce for me.

ESolomonso

Nov 23, 2002, 1:34:08 AM11/23/02
>"George Hiebert" ge...@shaw.ca
>Date: 11/22/2002 9:17 PM

>Hey this gives me an idea. Let's do a Beatles/M*A*S*H analogy.

Good idea George.

>I'd say:
>
>Klinger = Ringo
>Trapper = John
>Hawkeye = Paul
>BJ = George (the quiet one), and
>Spearchucker = Stu Sutcliffe, he didn't stick around too long.

Spearchucker could be Billy Preston live on the Apple Records roof concert
playing keys on Get Back.

Trapper = Paul
Hawkeye = John. John was the wise ass of the group and funny as hell.
Klinger = Ringo. Dead on.
BJ = George. That'll work. Calvin Spalding too.

Larry Gelbart = George Martin.
Margaret = Linda M.
Rosie = Yoko.
Igor - Clapton. Guest appearance on While My Guitar Gently Weeps. (An al time
fav of mine)

ESolomonso

Nov 23, 2002, 1:36:36 AM11/23/02
> "Brad" mouse...@hotmail.com
>Date: 11/22/2002 11:28 PM

>I'd probably swap over Trapper and Hawkeye and make Hawkeye "John" and
>Trapper "Paul". To me, Trapper was the one most likely to write silly love
>songs.

Yep! I posted that before I read your post Brad.

>Colonel Blake = Brian Epstein

Maybe George, the homosexual could be Eppy.

>Dish = Jane Asher

That works.

David Brunt

Nov 23, 2002, 6:34:01 AM11/23/02
"ESolomonso" <esolo...@aol.comnospam> wrote in message
> >"George Hiebert" ge...@shaw.ca

> >Hey this gives me an idea. Let's do a Beatles/M*A*S*H analogy.
>
> Good idea George.
>
> >I'd say:
> >Klinger = Ringo
> >Trapper = John
> >Hawkeye = Paul
> >BJ = George (the quiet one), and
> >Spearchucker = Stu Sutcliffe, he didn't stick around too long.
>
> Spearchucker could be Billy Preston live on the Apple Records roof concert
> playing keys on Get Back.

Henry is the nearest to Stu Sutcliffe, someone who died early on in their
career...

> Trapper = Paul
> Hawkeye = John. John was the wise ass of the group and funny as hell.
> Klinger = Ringo. Dead on.
> BJ = George. That'll work. Calvin Spalding too.
>
> Larry Gelbart = George Martin.

Potter should be George Martin, if only by age (it's hard to find anyone
else he could be).

> Margaret = Linda M.

Would work better if Hawkeye was Paul, don't you think?

> Rosie = Yoko.

Or Kellye

> Igor - Clapton. Guest appearance on While My Guitar Gently Weeps. (An al
time
> fav of mine)

Who does that leave? Burns and Winchester...

Charles could be Allan Klein, refined when he wants to be, but able to sneak
a quick buck for his own pocket at times. Though Klein's weasily side could
also be Frank. They could even be Mal Evans and Neil Aspinall without much
stretch...

Brad Filippone

Nov 23, 2002, 10:16:02 AM11/23/02
Isn't it rather obvious that Raday is the drummer? We see it in one
episode.

The Other Brad

Dwayer

Nov 23, 2002, 11:58:59 AM11/23/02
In message <aro63i$4tv$3...@News.Dal.Ca>, al...@chebucto.ns.ca (Brad
Filippone) wrote:

Three episodes, I think:
"Dear Dad ... Again" -- drumming for 'Hawkeye Pierce and his Swinging
Surgeons'

"ShowTime" -- sitting in with the USO group

"Bulletin Board" -- playing in the impromptu jam session on the
plastic buckets. If memory serves, Zale and Igor were also playing.

George Hiebert

Nov 23, 2002, 12:48:07 PM11/23/02

"ESolomonso" <esolo...@aol.comnospam> wrote

> Spearchucker could be Billy Preston live on the Apple Records roof concert
> playing keys on Get Back.

Good call Eddie. I guess Ugly John could be Stu.

ESolomonso

Nov 23, 2002, 1:37:09 PM11/23/02
>"David Brunt" dvb7@..davidbrunt.fsnet.co.uk
>Date: 11/23/2002 6:34 AM

>> Larry Gelbart = George Martin.
>
>Potter should be George Martin, if only by age (it's hard to find anyone
>else he could be).

Martin produced the Lads into stardom. Same could be said for Gelbart and MASH.

Potter could be the old guy climbing the ladder to the roof of Abbey Studios.

>> Margaret = Linda M.
>
>Would work better if Hawkeye was Paul, don't you think?

Would work better if Frank was Paul, but that's a stretch. I still think
Hawkeye is better as John.

ESolomonso

Nov 23, 2002, 1:39:19 PM11/23/02
>"David Brunt" dvb7@..davidbrunt.fsnet.co.uk
>Date: 11/23/2002 6:34 AM

>Potter should be George Martin, if only by age (it's hard to find anyone
>else he could be).

Just thought of who Potter could be:

Paul's grandfather in A Hard Day's Night!

ed rhodes

Nov 23, 2002, 3:15:37 PM11/23/02
ch...@iodynamics.com (Chadd VanZanten) wrote in message news:<e4aeab71.02112...@posting.google.com>...

That's like the fact that someone else plays "Face" in the first
"A-Team" episode... legend is that George Peppard (sp?) actually asked
to have the cast changed because "Face" was so much taller than him.

ESolomonso

Nov 23, 2002, 5:34:42 PM11/23/02
> al...@chebucto.ns.ca (Brad Filippone)
>Date: 11/23/2002 10:16 AM

>Isn't it rather obvious that Raday is the drummer? We see it in one
>episode.

I thought of that. But Ringo and Kinger share in the "luck" they had just by
being there.

David Brunt

Nov 23, 2002, 5:37:38 PM11/23/02

"ESolomonso" <esolo...@aol.comnospam> wrote

> >Isn't it rather obvious that Raday is the drummer? We see it in one
> >episode.
>
> I thought of that. But Ringo and Kinger share in the "luck" they
> had just by being there.

Ah, I assumed it was because of the nose...

ESolomonso

Nov 23, 2002, 6:20:22 PM11/23/02
>"David Brunt" dvb7@..davidbrunt.fsnet.co.uk
>Date: 11/23/2002 5:37 PM

>> I thought of that. But Ringo and Kinger share in the "luck" they
>> had just by being there.
>
>Ah, I assumed it was because of the nose...

LOL! Could be!

George Hiebert

Nov 24, 2002, 2:08:22 AM11/24/02

"ESolomonso" <esolo...@aol.comnospam> wrote

> Would work better if Frank was Paul, but that's a stretch. I still think
> Hawkeye is better as John.

Too bad Beej wasn't more like Paul, then Peg could be Linda.

George Hiebert

Nov 24, 2002, 2:08:50 AM11/24/02

> >"David Brunt" dvb7@..davidbrunt.fsnet.co.uk
> >Date: 11/23/2002 6:34 AM
>
> >Potter should be George Martin, if only by age (it's hard to find anyone
> >else he could be).
>
> Just thought of who Potter could be:
>
> Paul's grandfather in A Hard Day's Night!

He's quite clean.

Chadd VanZanten

Nov 24, 2002, 12:06:34 PM11/24/02
This one time, "Brad" <mouse...@hotmail.com> was all like:

> The "Pete Best" of M*A*S*H.

Could Rizzo possibly be Elvis Presley? They could all get together for
an informal jam session during one of the Christmas episodes?

Okay then,
Chadd

ESolomonso

Nov 24, 2002, 3:26:49 PM11/24/02
>"George Hiebert" ge...@shaw.ca
>Date: 11/24/2002 2:08 AM

>Too bad Beej wasn't more like Paul, then Peg could be Linda.

I can't see Beeeeeej singing "Silly Love Songs" with a cheesy mustache.
Although Helter Skelter has some promise.

ESolomonso

Nov 24, 2002, 3:28:16 PM11/24/02
>ch...@iodynamics.com (Chadd VanZanten)
>Date: 11/24/2002 12:06 PM

>Could Rizzo possibly be Elvis Presley? They could all get together for
>an informal jam session during one of the Christmas episodes?

Scary thought.

Mikael Uhlin

Nov 24, 2002, 4:03:37 PM11/24/02
"ESolomonso" <esolo...@aol.comnospam> wrote:
> >Could Rizzo possibly be Elvis Presley? They could all get together for
> >an informal jam session during one of the Christmas episodes?

> Scary thought.

...and imagine this years' remix of "Little Less Conversation" featuring
Rizzo!

George Hiebert

Nov 24, 2002, 5:24:00 PM11/24/02

"Mikael Uhlin" <u-l...@telia.com> wrote in message