Hypothetically speaking; about the bear

NeoScott

Jun 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/2/00
(if) Radar was to have named his bear, (which i'm sure he could
have done as a kid when he first got him), what name might he
haven given it, (fitting with the character's perception, etc.)?

any takers on what they'd name the bear if they were Radar?

NeoScott

Jun 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/2/00
http://www.geocities.com/Televisioncity/5576/bear.htm

yikes, that's almost scary... thanks though Nadia!

if he had it as a kid though... the bear would have had a name
that a *child* thought of. and not 1 out of 25 on the site were
names that a young Walter would have come up with... that's
interesting to see.

nadia A salem

Jun 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/3/00
I know of a site that has a section decated to naming the bear.
www.geocities.com/Televisioncity/5576
Best care anywhere.
NeoScott <fourosevens...@aol.com.invalid> wrote in message

> (if) Radar was to have named his bear, (which i'm sure he could
> have done as a kid when he first got him), what name might he
> haven given it, (fitting with the character's perception, etc.)?
>
> any takers on what they'd name the bear if they were Radar?

Elsig

Jun 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/3/00
I cannot believe that the threadbare bear thread is with us yet again.

LG

(Not really upset, just showing off.)

nadia A salem

Jun 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/3/00
how come you never did name it on the tv show.
Elsig <el...@aol.com> wrote in message

whodunit

Jun 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/3/00
Elsig wrote:

> I cannot believe that the threadbare bear thread is with us yet again.
>
> LG
>
> (Not really upset, just showing off.)

I'm "bear-ly" reading it myself. ;-)
Please bear with us!

Carolyne in TX

Proteus

Jun 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/3/00
I don't know if I can "bear" it again.
And uh, good one ElsiG
P,
remembering about the "capital G"

whodunit wrote:

Sweet smiling eyes shine
laughter from her upturned face
a daughter in the sun.

-Proteus

whodunit

Jun 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/3/00
SaRa wrote:

> I'm bear-ly surviving all of these puns~
> Uh oh. I resorted to bear puns myself!
> --SaRa

[Best Charles imitation]
"I find this whole situation simply
UNBEARABLE!! I realize you cretins
have the bear-est of dignity, but
this is unacceptable!
Has this newsgroup NO
moderator?!!"
[Charles off]

;-)

Carolyne "Ahhhhhhhhh, Bach to your
regular programming now!" in TX

Anechoic

Jun 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/3/00
In article <3939E1C0...@globalserve.net>, Proteus

<pro...@globalserve.net> wrote:
>I don't know if I can "bear" it again.
>And uh, good one ElsiG

Though for the many times the subject is brought up
continuously, be glad for the undying innocence and fond
childhood memories that just one little bear can hold in his
paws. :)

BK

" 'We read to know we're not alone.' " ~Shadowlands

SaRa

Jun 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/4/00

JayZ755

Jun 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/4/00
I want to know the name of the actor who played the teddy bear. Also, did he
play any other roles?

Jay

This space intentionally left blank.

Mikael Uhlin

Jun 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/4/00
JayZ755 wrote:
>I want to know the name of the actor who played the teddy bear. Also, did
he
>play any other roles?

He was in a lot of shows. I've forgotten his name but nowadays he's quit
acting, disappointed over being typecasted.

whodunit

Jun 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/4/00

Funny, I thought he'd gone into politics! ;-)

Carolyne "Feeling beary silly at this point" in TX

Paul Atreides

Jun 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/4/00
pill...@airmail.net (whodunit) wrote in
<81971B0AFF2784E7.78D01F21...@lp.airnews.
net>:

>Mikael Uhlin wrote:
>>
>> JayZ755 wrote:
>> >I want to know the name of the actor who played the teddy
>> >bear. Also, did
>> he
>> >play any other roles?
>>
>> He was in a lot of shows. I've forgotten his name but
>> nowadays he's quit acting, disappointed over being
>> typecasted.
>
>Funny, I thought he'd gone into politics! ;-)

There was a big scandal between him and the Snuggle Fabric
Softener bear. Something to do with bizarre sex practices. The
Snuggle bear was quoted as saying, "That bastard ruined my life!
I will forever curse the name of (unintelligible)!" It got
settled out of court and a lot of hush money was thrown around,
but in the end, Radar's bear never really had the same magic
that caused the meteoric rise of a little show called MASH. He
died in 1993, alone and penniless of an apparent dryer lint
overdose.
Fame: ain't it a bitch.
--
Paul Atreides
atre...@sover.net

whodunit

Jun 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/4/00

Dryer lint overdose! ROTFLOL! :-)

Carolyne in TX
> --
> Paul Atreides
> atre...@sover.net

Brad

Jun 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/4/00
In article <20000604094309...@ng-bh1.aol.com>,

jay...@aol.comspamaway (JayZ755) wrote:
>I want to know the name of the actor who played the teddy
bear. Also, did he
>play any other roles?

Yes Jay. I'm sure I saw the bear in bed with Thurston Howell III
on Gilligan's Island.

Brad

David Brunt

Jun 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/5/00
Paul Atreides wrote

>There was a big scandal between him and the Snuggle Fabric
>Softener bear. Something to do with bizarre sex practices. The
>Snuggle bear was quoted as saying, "That bastard ruined my life!
>I will forever curse the name of (unintelligible)!" It got
>settled out of court and a lot of hush money was thrown around,
>but in the end, Radar's bear never really had the same magic
>that caused the meteoric rise of a little show called MASH. He
>died in 1993, alone and penniless of an apparent dryer lint
>overdose. Fame: ain't it a bitch.

So, the time capsule episode was the funeral for the bear actor.

I see. Puts a new perspective on it...

David

Elsig

Jun 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/5/00
>I want to know the name of the actor who played the teddy
>bear

It was either John Bearymore of Beary Williams. Could even have been Halle
Beary,

LG (Anonymously)

whodunit

Jun 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/5/00

Are you sure it wasn't Beary Manilow? Or Beary White? He's
*very* teddy bearish! ;-)

Carolyne in TX

Mary C.

Jun 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/5/00
>> >I want to know the name of the actor who played the teddy
>> >bear

He switched careers. He's now fronting the rock band Bear Naked Ladies.
Goldilocks sings back-up.
Don't bother me...I'm living happily ever after!

Candela

Jun 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/5/00
Didn't you know... he also played baseball under the name of
Beary Bonds, and football as Beary Sanders.

BK

"Your focus determines your reality." Q-G. Jinn

PAUL GADZIKOWSKI

Jun 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/6/00
David Brunt (D...@btinternet.com) wrote:
: Paul Atreides wrote
: >There was a big scandal between him and the Snuggle Fabric
: >Softener bear. Something to do with bizarre sex practices. The
: >Snuggle bear was quoted as saying, "That bastard ruined my life!
: >I will forever curse the name of (unintelligible)!" It got
: >settled out of court and a lot of hush money was thrown around,
: >but in the end, Radar's bear never really had the same magic
: >that caused the meteoric rise of a little show called MASH. He
: >died in 1993, alone and penniless of an apparent dryer lint
: >overdose. Fame: ain't it a bitch.

: So, the time capsule episode was the funeral for the bear actor.
: I see. Puts a new perspective on it...

It was recently stated on this thread or another here that it wasn't the
same bear in the time capsule episode. Perhaps the rumors of conflict
between castmembers circulating when he originally left the show are
true.

--
Paul Gadzikowski, scar...@iglou.com
http://members.iglou.com/scarfman

The purpose of copyright law was never to deny the members of society use
of characters which have become its icons, nor to line the pockets of
creators' blood or corporate heirs. The purpose of copyright law was to to
encourage creation of new works by ensuring creators themselves ownership
of their own actual works. When copyright law does more than this it is
unjust, unfair and dangerously at odds with its purpose.

David Brunt

Jun 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/6/00

PAUL GADZIKOWSKI wrote in message <393ccce3$1...@news.iglou.com>...

>David Brunt (D...@btinternet.com) wrote:
>: Paul Atreides wrote
>: >There was a big scandal between him and the Snuggle Fabric
>: >Softener bear. Something to do with bizarre sex practices. The
>: >Snuggle bear was quoted as saying, "That bastard ruined my life!
>: >I will forever curse the name of (unintelligible)!" It got
>: >settled out of court and a lot of hush money was thrown around,
>: >but in the end, Radar's bear never really had the same magic
>: >that caused the meteoric rise of a little show called MASH. He
>: >died in 1993, alone and penniless of an apparent dryer lint
>: >overdose. Fame: ain't it a bitch.
>
>: So, the time capsule episode was the funeral for the bear actor.
>: I see. Puts a new perspective on it...
>
>It was recently stated on this thread or another here that it wasn't the
>same bear in the time capsule episode. Perhaps the rumors of conflict
>between castmembers circulating when he originally left the show are
>true.

So, it was a walk-on bear.....

David

Elsig

Jun 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/6/00
I have to confess that while I thought giving Radar a teddy bear as a form of
security blanket, I think we went too far with it and it got awfully coy.

I believe the bear made its first appearance when Radar was discovered sleeping
with when someone woke him in the middle of the night.

When we allowed him to go public with it to everyone in the camp, I think we
went too far, the device becoming far too coy.

LG

nadia A salem

Jun 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/6/00
but everyone loves that teddy bear. I still remember that ep where Sidney
told Radar that he was not nuts for having a teddy bear with him. Thats a
classic.

Elsig <el...@aol.com> wrote in message

NeoScott

Jun 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/6/00
In article <Lw9%4.607$ee7....@dfiatx1-snr1.gtei.net>, "nadia A

salem" <nadia...@gte.net> wrote:
>but everyone loves that teddy bear.

I'm a Christopher Robin myself. Can't help it. "Padington"
and "Corduroy" were some of my storybook friends when I was
little.

Question: from a child of the produc./direc./cast/crew... whose
bear was it originally? It looked like it'd been loved.

whodunit

Jun 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/6/00
nadia A salem wrote:

> but everyone loves that teddy bear. I still remember that ep where Sidney
> told Radar that he was not nuts for having a teddy bear with him. Thats a
> classic.

And my all time favorite scene was when "Jesus" (was his name Capt.
Chandler?)
blessed Radar's bear, and then Radar himself...that was the sweetest
thing
I've ever seen, especially the look on Gary Burghoff's face. Priceless.

Carolyne in TX

Brad Filippone

Jun 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/7/00
JayZ755 (jay...@aol.comspamaway) wrote:
: I want to know the name of the actor who played the teddy bear. Also, did he
: play any other roles?

No, but instead of going to the latrine it just went in the woods.

The Other Brad

Brad Filippone

Jun 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/7/00
Elsig (el...@aol.com) wrote:
: >I want to know the name of the actor who played the teddy
: >bear
: >

: It was either John Bearymore of Beary Williams. Could even have been Halle
: Beary,

: LG (Anonymously)

Of course, the voice was provided by Beary White.

The Other Bear (er, I mean Brad)

Brad Filippone

Jun 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/7/00
whodunit (pill...@airmail.net) wrote:

: Elsig wrote:
: >
: > >I want to know the name of the actor who played the teddy
: > >bear
: > >
: >
: > It was either John Bearymore of Beary Williams. Could even have been Halle
: > Beary,
: >
: > LG (Anonymously)

: Are you sure it wasn't Beary Manilow? Or Beary White? He's
: *very* teddy bearish! ;-)

Stop it! Before I start singing a certain overly cute Elvis Presley song!

The Other Brad

Brad Filippone

Jun 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/7/00
Elsig (el...@aol.com) wrote:
: I have to confess that while I thought giving Radar a teddy bear as a form of

: security blanket, I think we went too far with it and it got awfully coy.

Sort of like this thread? :)

The Other Brad

whodunit

Jun 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/7/00

Sorry all the wit is overwhelming you--I guess it's just your
BEAR TO CROSS! ;-)

Carolyne "Ok,ok, I'll stop now, quit throwing things!" in TX

PAUL GADZIKOWSKI

Jun 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/7/00
Elsig (el...@aol.com) wrote:
: When we allowed him to go public with it to everyone in the camp, I think we
: went too far, the device becoming far too coy.

This is similar to criticism of the character in general I remember
reading in a commentary on M*A*S*H printed shortly after Burghoff left.
I'm disinclined to agree with it, though, just because the context of the
comment was an argument that the series' cast changes and mood changes
over its history were a movement to greater maturity, and I don't agree
with that assessment of the latter years.

Hm. I've just disagreed with Larry Gelbart on alt.tv.mash ... maybe I
better hide from the other posters ...

JayZ755

Jun 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/7/00
>whodunit (pill...@airmail.net) wrote:
>: Elsig wrote:
>: >
>: > >I want to know the name of the actor who played the teddy
>: > >bear
>: > >
>: >
>: > It was either John Bearymore of Beary Williams. Could even have been
>Halle
>: > Beary,
>: >
>: > LG (Anonymously)
>
>: Are you sure it wasn't Beary Manilow? Or Beary White? He's
>: *very* teddy bearish! ;-)
>
>Stop it! Before I start singing a certain overly cute Elvis Presley song!
>
>The Other Brad

Please don't. I hate "Yoga Is As Yoga Does".

Brad

Jun 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/7/00
In article <20000606115422...@ng-mf1.aol.com>,

el...@aol.com (Elsig) wrote:
>I have to confess that while I thought giving Radar a teddy
bear as a form of
>security blanket, I think we went too far with it and it got
awfully coy.

I never thought it went too far. I thought the opportunity was
definately there for the writers to take it too far, but I don't
think they did. It's not like the bear showed up every time we
saw Radar, or it was always mentioned.

>I believe the bear made its first appearance when Radar was
discovered sleeping
>with when someone woke him in the middle of the night.

I think the first time we see Radar's bear is when Henry is
checking the camp for the missing loot that Ho-Jon stole in I
HATE A MYSTERY.

>When we allowed him to go public with it to everyone in the
camp, I think we
>went too far, the device becoming far too coy.

Nah. Not for this M*A*S*H fan. :)

Brad

Proteus

Jun 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/7/00
At the toity tree?
grinningly,
P.

Brad Filippone wrote:

Sweet smiling eyes shine
laughter from her upturned face
a daughter in the sun.

-Proteus

Cory

Jun 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/7/00
In article <393F15F9...@globalserve.net>, pro...@globalserve.net
says...

> At the toity tree?
> grinningly,
> P.

Remember now, it's the third tree! ;-)

"Number one is for number two, and number two is for number one"... I
think that's the way it went anyway.

--- Cory

NeoScott

Jun 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/7/00
losing some bearings; silliness is youthfulness.

greeneyes

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00
In article <19c65c5a...@usw-ex0107-055.remarq.com>,
>I am taking "Beary 101" That's all. Peace.

Elsig

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00
>Hm. I've just disagreed with Larry Gelbar

Welcome to the club.

I'm at all clear about your message, but I don't think it was a sign of
maturity for Radar to share with others his immature need for his security
bear.

LG

Elsig

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00
>"Number one is for number two, and number two is for number one"... I
>think that's the way it went anyway.

Make sure you remember before you use either one.

LG

Proteus

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00
oh gosh...memory failing...brain cramp...
What did Hawk say about the fourth? That it was the ladies' tree?
prone before your awesomeness,

Elsig wrote:

NeoScott

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00
In article <393ebaa2$1...@news.iglou.com>, scar...@iglou.com
(PAUL GADZIKOWSKI) wrote:
>Elsig (el...@aol.com) wrote:
>: When we allowed him to go public with it to everyone in the

camp, I think we
>: went too far, the device becoming far too coy.
>
>This is similar to criticism of the character in general I
remember
>reading in a commentary on M*A*S*H printed shortly after
Burghoff left.
>I'm disinclined to agree with it, though, just because the
context of the
>comment was an argument that the series' cast changes and mood
changes
>over its history were a movement to greater maturity, and I
don't agree
>with that assessment of the latter years.
>
>Hm. I've just disagreed with Larry Gelbart on alt.tv.mash ...
maybe I
>better hide from the other posters ...

where exactly is the disagreement?
to bare his bear barely strayed from character. looks to me
that you agreed Radar wasn't maturing enough.

the mature thing to do would be to just grin and bear it.

does anyone know whose bear it was in real life? it's not just
some prop... it's gotta be the toy of someone's kid, seriously.

NeoScott

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00
In article <09048cfc...@usw-ex0102-016.remarq.com>,

greeneyes <gmzNO...@wans.net.invalid> wrote:
>I am taking "Beary 101" That's all. Peace.

i had 101 and 102, then switched to semesters and had to repeat
the latter half of 102 with the new material in 103

bearly passed them all

whodunit

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00
AAAhhhhh, I guess that's why Radar left him behind with Hawkeye in
Korea, then! Thanks for the backstage heads up.

;-)

Carolyne in TX

JayZ755 wrote:

> I read that the bear and Gary Burghoff didn't get along. They didn't speak to
> each other for the last five years Gary was on the show.

JayZ755

Jun 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/10/00