Alaln Alda remembers Larry Gelbart

Mary Lou Wallace

Sep 14, 2009, 9:21:05 PM9/14/09

George

Sep 14, 2009, 10:36:45 PM9/14/09
On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 18:21:05 -0700, Mary Lou Wallace wrote:

> http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-alda-
gelbart14-2009sep14,0,5460314.story

> Mary Lou Wallace
> "Ahhhh....Bach!"

Thanks Mary Lou, very insightful stuff by Alda. LG was like one of those
genius musicians who have brilliant music flowing out of them without
effort, only with Larry it was funny stuff.

Stormin Mormon

Sep 15, 2009, 9:49:55 AM9/15/09
Thanks, glad to hear Larry remembered so well.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Mary Lou Wallace" <mlwall...@gmail.com> wrote in message

MLW

Sep 15, 2009, 2:20:34 PM9/15/09

I also posted "Ken Levine's tribute to Larry Gelbart"......it is well
worth reading.

Mary Lou Wallace
"Ahhhh....Bach!"

George

Sep 15, 2009, 8:27:45 PM9/15/09
On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 11:20:34 -0700, MLW wrote:

> I also posted "Ken Levine's tribute to Larry Gelbart"......it is well
> worth reading.

Yes, I read that also, it was awesome.

One point about Alda's article, I think he's a little confused. He says
Gelbart had him say the line..."Don't let the bastard win." Well he says
that in the episode The General's Practitioner which is from season 5,
after Gelbart left the show.

AJM

Sep 16, 2009, 7:34:06 AM9/16/09
"He told me once about his dream for a final episode of the series: At
the very end, the camera would pull back and reveal the fake set with
its lights and crew, even the snack stand with its coffee pot and
peanut butter jar -- as if to say, we know this was just a show; the
real people in this story really hurt and died."

With all due respect to the many fine people who wrote and worked on
"Goodbye, Farewell and Amen," I think that THIS would have been a
better M*A*S*H finale...

sr

Sep 16, 2009, 4:45:57 PM9/16/09
On Sep 14, 9:21 pm, Mary Lou Wallace <mlwallace...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-alda-gelbart14-2009se...
>
> Mary Lou Wallace
> "Ahhhh....Bach!"

From the article: "All of us who worked with him were awed by him,
and we revered him, but we always, always were comfortable in his
presence because above all we loved him. And we could see that he
loved us back."

I think we here can all say those same words. Mr. Gelbart made us all
know that he loved us back!!!

Cory

Sep 17, 2009, 5:24:35 AM9/17/09

Indeed, sr.

I think the one thing that is going to stick with me for the rest of my
life (I hope) about Elsig is his humility. He was just SO humble, at
least that's how he acted in my mind, anyway, and in a dog-eat-dog,
shark infested world like the Hollywood world, humility is a rare trait
to encounter... but by God, Elsig had it in spades.

--- Cory