Definitive origin of "Seacouver"?

Lynn

Jul 13, 2003, 1:45:15 PM7/13/03

Someone in another forum is looking for the origin of the term
"Seacouver".... not "it was invented by fans and later adopted by TPTB" --
we know that -- but something along the lines of "it was first coined on X
List or X Newsgroup in 1994," or whatever.

Thanks,
Lynn

GHorvath

Jul 13, 2003, 2:40:54 PM7/13/03
I'm 95% sure it was coined on the Highla-L mailing list, as early as 1992 or 3.
I don't know if anyone has archives of that.

GH

http://hometown.aol.com/webgill/index.html

Message has been deleted

Highlandmg

Jul 21, 2003, 5:37:56 PM7/21/03

peter_...@hotmail.com writes

<Would it have been so bad to have it actually as Vancouver, or would
<people in the States not have watched it because of that? Although
<Vancouver is a nice city, I personally would have preferred something
<set totally in Europe. Paris is a much cooler-looking city.>

I could careless where it was filmed. I had no idea where it was when I started
watching. I knew part of it was Paris But it took a while to realize to find
out It was Vancouver. I had been to Vancouver twice before I became a
Highlander fan and avoided when I walked by shooting sites. I been back 3 times
Since then and I must say its a beautiful city and I fell in love with it. Yeah
Yeah I know the locals say waiting till your here in the off season. Vancouver
I think has so much beauty. Ohh I wish I was there. If I had to live anywhere
but where I live now I would live there. And yes I been all over Europe and the
States

Mary

Find A cure for Neurofibromatosis: (NF)
http://www.nfinc.org/whatisnf.html

JDChronicler

Jul 21, 2003, 6:14:01 PM7/21/03
I'm sure that admitting that it was really Vancouver wouldn't bother the
regulars who post here, but TPTB was thinking about the American casual
viewers. TPTB believed that they wouldn't watch the show if they thought
Duncan lived in Canada. It's the common wisdom of the industry. They could be
wrong.

Forever Knight never concealed the fact that it was filmed in Toronto. Did it
lose viewers because of that? I doubt it.

As for filming it all in Paris-- Well, it was a co-production. This means part
of the money came from Canadian sources and part from French sources. This
means that they had to film in both places to keep all the money men happy.

Shomeret

GHorvath

Jul 21, 2003, 6:45:31 PM7/21/03
I'm not sure that 'admitting' it was Vancouver is exactly the issue. The show
was originally supposed to take place in New York, of course, like the movie.
At that time, Vancouver and other Canadian cities were luring productions by
advertising how they could look like other places -- that you could film in
Toronto and pretend it was New York or Chicago. American cities do this too,
by the way -- try to lure productions to their locale by emphasizing how they
can stand-in for other places, not by suggesting the stories be rewritten for
their cities.

So when Highlander filmed in Vancouver, it was only natural for the production
to use US prop money and US license plates and US terminology (things like the
DMV and the District Attorney don't exist by those names in Canada), since it
was never intended to be set in Canada, it was just filming there. It wasn't a
matter of concealing Vancouver, so much as Vancouver having successully bid to
pretend to be, well, New York. Of course, the geography, archictecture and
climate there made it obviously not New York, but a generic city in the Pacific
Northwest. The production would have been content to leave it at that --
Duncan lives on the west coast, end of story. Fans noted that the city looked
like Vancouver but had Seattle's zip codes, and dubbed it Seacouver. We
thought it was cute and tipped a hat to it on the show. It could just as
easily have stayed 'unnamed home city' -- which is where lots of TV shows take
place, by the way.

GH

http://hometown.aol.com/webgill/index.html

Mark Jones

Jul 21, 2003, 7:33:50 PM7/21/03
GHorvath wrote:
> Fans noted that the city looked
> like Vancouver but had Seattle's zip codes, and dubbed it Seacouver. We
> thought it was cute and tipped a hat to it on the show.

How so?

GHorvath

Jul 21, 2003, 8:20:57 PM7/21/03
>How so?

Watch "The Valkyrie" very carefully.

:-)

GH

http://hometown.aol.com/webgill/index.html

DonnaLetto

Jul 21, 2003, 9:10:07 PM7/21/03
Gillian:

>Watch "The Valkyrie" very carefully.

But I'm still bummed we never got those Seacouver State University signs, from
Duncan's teaching days.

Donna

JDChronicler

Jul 21, 2003, 9:18:27 PM7/21/03
Re Seacouver State University-- Oh so that's where Duncan was teaching that
graduate seminar in "Leader of the Pack". I just saw it today on TNN.

The dachshunds seriously didn't like this episode. They came in twice to bark
and growl at the television which was barking and growling at them.

Shomeret

Jerri

Jul 21, 2003, 9:34:11 PM7/21/03
"GHorvath" <ghor...@aol.com> wrote

> Fans noted that the city looked like Vancouver but
> had Seattle's zip codes, and dubbed it Seacouver.

Which I think is one of the coolest names *ever* for a fictional city.
Jerri

Christine from B.C.

Jul 21, 2003, 9:58:36 PM7/21/03
In article <20030721173756...@mb-m19.aol.com>, highl...@aol.com
says...

You know you will always get me to agree that Vancouver is "heaven on earth".

Christine from B.C. (goes to Vancouver as often as possible)

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Jerri

Jul 22, 2003, 10:35:38 AM7/22/03
"Seth Armstrong" <sethar...@hotmail.com> wrote
> "Jerri" <jerla...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> > Which I think is one of the coolest names *ever*
> > for a fictional city.

> I've always thought it was kind of stupid. It does not
> sound like the name of a real city, even if I'd never
> heard of Vancouver or Seattle.

I'm originally from Ottumwa, Iowa ... born on a farm outside Chillicothe,
Iowa ... I have very loose standards as to what sounds like the name of a
real city.
Jerri

GHorvath

Jul 22, 2003, 11:38:25 AM7/22/03
>This is why I kind of hate co-productions. It was the same with the
>animated series "Bob and Margaret". Because the bulk of the funding
>came from Canada, they felt they had to set the stories there, so Bob
>and Margaret moved to Toronto. I was much more interested in the
>stories set in England.

Of course, the alternative to co-productions is usually no-productions...

GH
<== glass half full

http://hometown.aol.com/webgill/index.html

Message has been deleted

GinjerB

Jul 22, 2003, 2:00:04 PM7/22/03
In article <_YbTa.114574$Io.97...@newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net>, "Jerri"
<jerla...@earthlink.net> writes:

>Subject: Re: Definitive origin of "Seacouver"?
>From: "Jerri" <jerla...@earthlink.net>
>Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 14:35:38 GMT

LOL!

Thank you, Jerri!

GinjerB

GinjerB

Jul 22, 2003, 2:00:04 PM7/22/03
In article <5bcaaac4.03072...@posting.google.com>,
sethar...@hotmail.com (Seth Armstrong) writes:

>Subject: Re: Definitive origin of "Seacouver"?

>From: sethar...@hotmail.com (Seth Armstrong)
>Date: 22 Jul 2003 05:57:10 -0700
>
>I'm just wondering, but why would anyone have thought Vancouver could
>have been made to look like New York. Toronto would have been a
>better location for that, obviously. Personally I would love a series
>set in Montreal, even if it was disguised as another city. I would
>have preferred Duncan's city remain unnamed, though, since Seacouver
>doesn't sound like a real place to me.

A co-produced series set in Montreal might well run afoul of the Provincial
language laws.

If I'm wrong there, Troy will correct me, yes?

GinjerB

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Debi

Jul 22, 2003, 8:40:57 PM7/22/03

"Seth Armstrong" <sethar...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Yes, I guess there *are* some pretty weird-sounding places. Those Indian
names...

> "Jerri" <jerla...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> > I'm originally from Ottumwa, Iowa ... born on a farm outside
Chillicothe,
> > Iowa ... I have very loose standards as to what sounds like the name of
> > real city.
> > Jerri

What Indian names? <G> Like Ludowici, Tocoee, Pahokee, Tallahassee, (someone
stop me please...)

Debi (Florida is eaten up with such names...)

Lynn

Jul 22, 2003, 9:41:03 PM7/22/03

> I would
> have preferred Duncan's city remain unnamed, though, since Seacouver
> doesn't sound like a real place to me.

Well, sheesh, it's never actually *spoken* on the show. Unless you look at
a particular prop very carefully, you'd never know -- unless you participate
in fandom, or read the novels. It's not like it really impacts the show in
a meaningful way. If you prefer to think of it as Seattle, nobody's
stopping you :)

Lynn

Message has been deleted

GinjerB

Jul 23, 2003, 11:52:53 AM7/23/03
In article <5bcaaac4.03072...@posting.google.com>,
sethar...@hotmail.com (Seth Armstrong) writes:

>Subject: Re: Definitive origin of "Seacouver"?
>From: sethar...@hotmail.com (Seth Armstrong)

>Date: 23 Jul 2003 04:58:42 -0700
>
>I don't think it could ever have been mistaken for Seattle. But, it's
>funny, you say "it's never actually spoken on the show" like that is
>news to me. Now, obviously I do participate in fandom. Even wrote a
>bit of fan fic once, and have actually read a couple of the novels.

I dunno--I think Vancouver does look a lot like Seattle, in many ways. A whole
lot more that TO looks like NYC, for which it constantly "doubles."

MHO.

GinjerB

GinjerB

Jul 23, 2003, 11:52:54 AM7/23/03
In article <5bcaaac4.03072...@posting.google.com>,
sethar...@hotmail.com (Seth Armstrong) writes:

>Subject: Re: Definitive origin of "Seacouver"?
>From: sethar...@hotmail.com (Seth Armstrong)

>Date: 22 Jul 2003 13:37:28 -0700
>
>I hadn't thought of that. You're probably right. And I don't think
>casual viewers in the States or Canada are going to be interested in
>subtitled French. I guess they could do what they have done for some
>shows, and film it twice - once in English, once in French, using
>bilingual actors (see The Last Chapter). I don't know how expensive
>that would be.

Well, since the entire point of filming in Canada is to save money, anything
that would *add* money would be "too expensive." <g>

Seriously, I thought that the fan confabulation of "Seacouver" was way clever.
But then, I'm one of those who beleive that we don't live in Duncan's universe,
so it doesn't bother me that there is no "real" Seacouver.

GinjerB

Message has been deleted

Lynn

Jul 23, 2003, 2:00:08 PM7/23/03
sethar...@hotmail.com (Seth Armstrong) wrote in message news:<5bcaaac4.03072...@posting.google.com>...

> I don't think it could ever have been mistaken for Seattle.

Okay. Whatever. So pretend it's some other mysterious city in
Washington, on the coast, with lots of pretty mountains behind it,
that isn't Seattle. Whatever works for you.

> But, it's
> funny, you say "it's never actually spoken on the show" like that is
> news to me.

Well, if you know this, then I guess I'm missing out on how or why a
name that isn't used on the show bothers you.

Lynn

Jette Goldie

Jul 23, 2003, 2:59:52 PM7/23/03

"Seth Armstrong" <sethar...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Saskatchewan.

Or as we kids kept calling it in Geography lessons "A-Scratchy-wan"

;-)

--
Jette
"Work for Peace and remain Fiercely Loving" - Jim Byrnes

Message has been deleted

Jerri

Jul 23, 2003, 7:23:29 PM7/23/03
"Seth Armstrong" <sethar...@hotmail.com> wrote

> Yes, I suppose so, but the thing is The Last Chapter was a CBC
> production, and they are notorious cheapskates. It is strange that
> you seem to think I am one who *does* think we live in Duncan's
> universe - you've missed the point as to why calling it "Seacouver"
> bothers me. Clever? Not at all. *That's* the point.

So the name "Seacouver" just isn't clever? And that's why it bothers you?
Jerri

DonnaLetto

Jul 23, 2003, 9:16:28 PM7/23/03
>So the name "Seacouver" just isn't clever? And that's why it bothers you?
>Jerri

Let's hope he never visits Palm Beach. Or 29 Palms.

Donna
(the real world is rife with unclever names)

Susan Stansfield

Jul 23, 2003, 9:53:59 PM7/23/03

In article <tQkTa.6$cb4....@newshog.newsread.com>, "Debi"
<deb...@atlantic.net> wrote:

Chicago... <g>

Susan

Darth Maul's Highlander Site:
http://pub54.ezboard.com/fdarthscommunityfrm20

Princess

Jul 24, 2003, 1:14:51 AM7/24/03
Does not sound like a real city? Hmmm.....ever been to Kalamazoo, Michigan?
;-)

Tracey
(livin' real close to the city formerly known as "Pile of Bones", right next
door to Moose Jaw)

Seth Armstrong <sethar...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I've always thought it was kind of stupid. It does not sound like the

> name of a real city, even if I'd never heard of Vancouver or Seattle.

Princess

Jul 24, 2003, 1:16:18 AM7/24/03
Yaaayyyy Saskatchewan!! LOL

Tracey
(sorry, just had to)

Seth Armstrong <sethar...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Saskatchewan.

Princess

Jul 24, 2003, 1:18:35 AM7/24/03
LOL!! Cool :-)

Tracey
(spent last weekend at *Kenosee* Lake, A-Scratchy-wan)

Jette Goldie <j...@blueyonder.com.uk> wrote in message

> Or as we kids kept calling it in Geography lessons "A-Scratchy-wan"
>
> ;-)
>

> Jette
> "Work for Peace and remain Fiercely Loving" - Jim Byrnes
> je...@blueyonder.co.uk
> http://www.jette.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

GinjerB

Jul 24, 2003, 11:04:16 AM7/24/03
In article <5bcaaac4.03072...@posting.google.com>,
sethar...@hotmail.com (Seth Armstrong) writes:

>Subject: Re: Definitive origin of "Seacouver"?
>From: sethar...@hotmail.com (Seth Armstrong)

>Date: 23 Jul 2003 16:08:28 -0700

>Yes, I suppose so, but the thing is The Last Chapter was a CBC
>production, and they are notorious cheapskates. It is strange that
>you seem to think I am one who *does* think we live in Duncan's
>universe - you've missed the point as to why calling it "Seacouver"
>bothers me. Clever? Not at all. *That's* the point.

Milage varying. You would have preferred something like Smallville or Gotham
City or Metropolis, then? <g>

GinjerB

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

GHorvath

Jul 27, 2003, 1:28:07 PM7/27/03
>I think Toronto can double pretty well for Chicago. New York? I
>don't see it.

The whole city, no, but when you're filming, you usually need just a few
specific streets and buildings that look like the city you're doubling, and
that can often be achieved in other cities. Then you go get a few wide
establishing shots of the place you're pretending to be, and the illusion is
complete. Kind of like we did on Highlande rwith "Homeland. :-D

>Speaking of it doubling for NYC, though - I remember in reviews of
>Steven Seagal's "Last Exit" (what was supposed to be his comeback
>movie I think), they said you could see a lot of Pizza Pizzas and Tim
>Hortons in the background. Even if Toronto doesn't look like NYC,
>doing something like doesn't give it much of a chance to begin with.

Amen to that.

GH

http://hometown.aol.com/webgill/index.html

SUQKRT

Jul 30, 2003, 4:08:14 PM7/30/03

In article <3f1f5d85$1...@news3.accesscomm.ca>, "Princess"
<princesst...@HLcancelled.hotmail.com> wrote:

>Does not sound like a real city? Hmmm.....ever been to Kalamazoo, Michigan?
>;-)
>

>Tracey

Lived there 1980-98 til I moved to Mass. People here like to argue with me
about its existance. The Chamber of Commerce sells "yes there really is a
Kalamazoo mug & t-shirts.
Suz
Iron Chef Macmoosette
Thank Heavens There's Only One