THE ultimate Big Bad (spoilers up to S7)

Ken

Oct 25, 2002, 5:02:37 AM10/25/02
Well, once again, we see that the Ultimate Big Bad for the whole series of
BTVS is

SECRECY.

Already Buffy (Spike's back and his new condition), Willow (Anya's new
hobby), Anya (feeling bad about being ... bad) and NewSpike (newly resouled)
are afflicted and make things worse by secrecy (altho NewSpike's mentally
challenged so he has an out).

So far Dawn, Xander and Giles haven't had a relapse back into secrecy, but
who knows how long they can stay uninfected.

-- Ken from Chicago

Abracapocus

Oct 25, 2002, 1:43:39 PM10/25/02
"Ken" <kwicker_era...@ameritech.net> wrote in message news:<NM7u9.81$mN6....@newssrv26.news.prodigy.com>...

You've made an important point about how poisonous the withholding of
information has always been on Buffy.

Technically, though, Dawn may be off the Secrecy hook, but not
entirely for Giles and Xander.

Xander's "Willow says 'Kick his ass'" lie from "Becoming II" has (kind
of) come out. When Buffy confronted her friends with that memory in
"Selfless", Xander tried to keep the deception a secret (at least from
Buffy) by interrupting Willow's protest ("I never said th--[at]").
He's still got secrecy, and very old, long-festering secrecy, on that
count (no matter how you feel about whether or not that lie to Buffy
helped her in her fight against Angelus). He also lied to his friends
after "The Pack" by saying he didn't remember any of his hyena-self
actions. Although the lie later came out in front of Buffy, as far as
we know Xander never came clean on that one to Willow. He *almost*
didn't come clean about summoning Sweet in OMWF (and, as many have
noted, he's never been called to account for the deaths that resulted
from that little wish for a happy ending). Xander still has some
dubious honesty factors workin'.

We may or may not be able to assume that Giles still bears the secret
of killing Ben dispassionately with his bare hand (we've never seen
him tell anyone, and it's never been referred to).

For what it's worth. :)

Dawn

Oct 25, 2002, 2:34:02 PM10/25/02
Abracapocus wrote:

> We may or may not be able to assume that Giles still bears the secret
> of killing Ben dispassionately with his bare hand (we've never seen
> him tell anyone, and it's never been referred to).
>
> For what it's worth. :)

Ah, but it did come out....in typical Jossian mind-f*ck fashion, it did. Just a little early, like the beginning of "The
Gift"

From Psyche's transcripts:

Tara looks anxiously from Buffy to Willow and back again. She turns and begins to walk toward Buffy and the door. She
passes Spike and Giles in the background, Spike packing up weapons as Giles unsheathes a sword.

TARA: (points to Giles) "You're a killer." (Giles and Spike look at her in surprise) "This is all set down."

Tara continues walking out. Giles puts his axe in Spike's bag.

Basically, Looney!Tara knew how it was all going to go down and pointed it out for us all lovely like, but since she was
Looney!Tara everyone ignored her since she was, well, looney. Not the first time our Tara has been the voice of
foreshadowing, either, if you recall her "Be back before Dawn" line in season 4's "Restless"

Dawn
=)

Ken

Oct 25, 2002, 8:33:09 PM10/25/02

"Dawn" <a...@qis.net> wrote in message news:3DB98E9A...@qis.net...

Yep, and Spike will become a watcher (from S4 season finale dream,
"Restless").

-- Ken from Chicago