List of Known Slayers

Skip to the first unread message

johndiem

10 Mar 2001, 17:45:1110/03/2001
I'm trying to make a list of every Slayer that's appeared or been
referred to during the series. Here are the 8 I could think of. I'd
appreciate it if someone could fill in the gaps (or make corrections),
as I haven't actually seen every episode of Buffy (Season 2
especially). I'd also love to hear some theories on just what the
hell Kendra's accent was supposed to be. My guess is below.

Obviously, I was very bored. SPOILERS below for various pre-Season 5
episodes, including Season 4's finale:
.
.
.
.
.
.
_List of Known Slayers_

?? B.C. The First Slayer
The spirit of the First Slayer attacked Willow, Xander, Giles, and
Buffy through their dreams. First appeared in "Restless."

? - 1903: The Chinese Slayer
Slain by Spike during the Boxer Rebellion. Gave Spike his facial scar
with her tai chi sword. First referenced in "School Hard." First
appeared in "Fool for Love."

1930s: The Korean Slayer
First and only reference comes from "The Puppet Show."
Sid (the dummy): "I knew a Slayer in the 30's. Korean chick. Very
hot. We're talking muscle tone. Man, we had some times. Hey, that was
pre-dummy, alright?"

? - 1977: Nikki, the New York Slayer
Slain by Spike, who today wears her leather coat as a spoil of battle.
First referred to by Spike in "School Hard" as having begged for her
life when he killed her. First appearance in "Fool for Love" in a
fight scene which is inconsistent with Spike's earlier reference.

? - 1995(?): The "Last" Slayer
First referenced by The Master in "Nightmares." Referred to again by
Whistler in "_______." All that's known about her is that she wasn't
as pretty as Buffy. And apparently she must have spent some time in
the Sunnydale area if the Master has seen her.

1995(?) - : Buffy, the Los Angeles Slayer
First appeared in "Welcome to the Hellmouth." Became a Slayer as a
freshman high school student while living in L.A. She's been in, uh,
lots of episodes. One of two known Slayers currently living, although
she did "die" temporarily in 1997.

1997 - 1998: Kendra, the Haitian(?) Slayer
First appearance in "What's My Line." Also appeared in "Becoming,"
when she was slain by Drusilla.

1998 - : Faith, the Boston Slayer
First appearance in "Faith, Hope, and Trick." Appeared in 13(?)
episodes over the remainder of Season 3, as well as "This Year's Girl"
and "Who are You?" in Season 4. Also appears in "Five by Five" and
"Sanctuary" from the first season of Angel the Series, with a brief
cameo in "__________." Currently imprisoned in or around Los Angeles
for manslaughter and/or murder.

-Diem
(not a Slayer)

Kronos

10 Mar 2001, 18:35:5410/03/2001
"Welcome to the Hellmouth" opened with narration that mentioned several
former slayers, including:

"In 1845, Boston shipyards were plagued by a series of grisly murders.
The attacks ended when a quiet young woman arrived in town.

"In 1893, in the Oklahoma Territory, a series of savage attacks claimed
the lives of 17 homesteaders. The murders stopped when a young woman
blacksmith passed through town."

You may want to watch that episode for the complete list.

-Kronos

katharine

10 Mar 2001, 18:45:2210/03/2001
Just a few minor corrections

>? - 1903: The Chinese Slayer
>Slain by Spike during the Boxer Rebellion. Gave Spike his facial scar
>with her tai chi sword. First referenced in "School Hard." First
>appeared in "Fool for Love."

It was -1900

<snip>

>1998 - : Faith, the Boston Slayer
>First appearance in "Faith, Hope, and Trick." Appeared in 13(?)
>episodes over the remainder of Season 3, as well as "This Year's Girl"
>and "Who are You?" in Season 4. Also appears in "Five by Five" and
>"Sanctuary" from the first season of Angel the Series, with a brief
>cameo in "__________." Currently imprisoned in or around Los Angeles
>for manslaughter and/or murder.

It was "Judgement". The guest spot, that is.

johndiem

10 Mar 2001, 20:45:4110/03/2001
On Sat, 10 Mar 2001 18:35:54 -0500, Kronos <kro...@tombsweettomb.com>
wrote:

>"Welcome to the Hellmouth" opened with narration that mentioned several
>former slayers, including:

Kronos, did this narration only occur during the network debut? I
own the FOX-released videocassette of the episode and it doesn't have
anything before the opening scene with Darla. Just the intro from
Joss Whedon, "Sarah Michelle Gellar was originally cast as Cordelia,"
blah blah etc. Do any of the transcript sites include this bit for
the episode?

>"In 1845, Boston shipyards were plagued by a series of grisly murders.
>The attacks ended when a quiet young woman arrived in town.

Nifty. Two Slayers for my hometown in the books.

>"In 1893, in the Oklahoma Territory, a series of savage attacks claimed
>the lives of 17 homesteaders. The murders stopped when a young woman
>blacksmith passed through town."

Hmm. An ancestor of Lindsey's? That'd be ironic, in a cheesy,
contrived sort of way.

-Diem

Don Sample

10 Mar 2001, 21:39:0310/03/2001
In article <3aaaab02...@news.bellatlantic.net>, johndiem
<john...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> ? - 1995(?): The "Last" Slayer
> First referenced by The Master in "Nightmares." Referred to again by
> Whistler in "_______." All that's known about her is that she wasn't
> as pretty as Buffy. And apparently she must have spent some time in
> the Sunnydale area if the Master has seen her.

I don't think that either Whistler or the Master was refering to
Buffy's immediate predecesor. Just that last Slayers that they had
personally seen/met.

--
Don Sample, dsa...@synapse.net
Visit the Buffy Body Count at http://www.synapse.net/~dsample/BBC

Bill Bickel

10 Mar 2001, 22:14:5010/03/2001

johndiem wrote:

I wonder if any slayers have had descendants: Not only do most of them
probably die young, but you can't exactly go off on maternity leave, so a
pregnancy means you either allow vampires to run rampant for a few months,
or you try to outfight them when you can't even see your feet.

Bill Bickel
--
Crime marches on... at http://crime.about.com/

New Jersey? What exit?
http://northernnj.about.com/

Comics I Don't Understand: http://www.crimeweek.com/cidu.html

William George Ferguson

10 Mar 2001, 21:30:3010/03/2001

Kronos <kro...@tombsweettomb.com> wrote:
>"Welcome to the Hellmouth" opened with narration that mentioned several
>former slayers, including:

The video clips from the promos before the initial airing of WttH are
available on the official site (www.buffy.com). Look under
'mythology' then under 'slayer'.

>"In 1845, Boston shipyards were plagued by a series of grisly murders.
>The attacks ended when a quiet young woman arrived in town.

In 1866 young Lucy Hanover stopped the murder of Civil War widows in
Virginia

>"In 1893, in the Oklahoma Territory, a series of savage attacks claimed
>the lives of 17 homesteaders. The murders stopped when a young woman
>blacksmith passed through town."

In 1897 20 year old Florence Gilbert stopped a series of grisly
murders in Virginia City Wyoming

In 1912 student nurse Arabella Gish ended a series of 23 mysterious
murders in Brooklyn

In 1927 a mysterious young woman ended a series of grisly murders in
Chicago.

Putting them together chronologically

pre-history: First Slayer
1845 - young woman in Boston
1866 - young Lucy Hanover in Virginia
1993 - young blacksmith in Oklahoma Territory
1897 - 20 year old Florence Gilbert in Wyoming
1900 - Chinese Slayer during Boxer Rebellion
1912 - student nurse Arabella Gish in Brooklyn
1927 - young woman in Chicago
1930s - Korean Slayer
1977 - Nikki in New York
1996 - Buffy Summers in Los Angeles
1997 - Kendra in Caribbean (probably)
1998 - Faith in Boston

I'm not including any inferred Slayers. The Master's and Angel's
comments about 'the last Slayer' don't necessarily refer to Buffy's
immediate predecessor, or even to the same Slayer. I took both
comments to refer to the last Slayer each had met (which might not
even be in the 20th century). In fact, the Master's comment can't
refer to Buffy's immediate predecessor since he had been trapped in
the Hellmouth since the 1920s.
--
"If someone had told me beforehand that there'd be a Willow/Tara kiss
scene followed by an Angel/Kate shower scene, I'd have had completely

Don Sample

10 Mar 2001, 23:46:1210/03/2001
In article <68slatcep6u4337ct...@4ax.com>, KenM47
<Ken...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Didn't the movie have earlier medieval, or maybe 16th century slayers
> that Rutger Hauer kills? Or is the movie out of bounds?
>
> Ken

The movie doesn't count.

First Fallen

11 Mar 2001, 04:30:3711/03/2001
Here's something that occured to me. Might Slayers actually be descended
from one another? What if Slayers are born from unactivated proto-slayers?
Perhaps Joyce was a proto-slayer who was never activated or identified...and
her abilities then passed to Buffy, who was?

Just a thought

Cody Jarret

11 Mar 2001, 05:37:5811/03/2001

Bill Bickel wrote:

> johndiem wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 10 Mar 2001 18:35:54 -0500, Kronos <kro...@tombsweettomb.com>

> > wrote:."
> {SNIP}

> > Hmm. An ancestor of Lindsey's? That'd be ironic, in a cheesy,
> > contrived sort of way.
> >
> > -Diem
>
> I wonder if any slayers have had descendants: Not only do most of them
> probably die young, but you can't exactly go off on maternity leave, so a
> pregnancy means you either allow vampires to run rampant for a few months,
> or you try to outfight them when you can't even see your feet.
>
> Bill Bickel

They could be a descendant without being an offspring. What about a
slayer with a brother or a real sister? ;-)

Daniel E. Damouth

11 Mar 2001, 07:57:3911/03/2001
On Sat, 10 Mar 2001 19:30:30 -0700, William George Ferguson
<fr...@primenet.com> wrote:

>Putting them together chronologically
>
>pre-history: First Slayer
>1845 - young woman in Boston
>1866 - young Lucy Hanover in Virginia
>1993 - young blacksmith in Oklahoma Territory
>1897 - 20 year old Florence Gilbert in Wyoming

Florence must have really kicked ass to make it into her 20's.

>1900 - Chinese Slayer during Boxer Rebellion
>1912 - student nurse Arabella Gish in Brooklyn
>1927 - young woman in Chicago
>1930s - Korean Slayer
>1977 - Nikki in New York
>1996 - Buffy Summers in Los Angeles
>1997 - Kendra in Caribbean (probably)
>1998 - Faith in Boston

Dan Damouth

Buffy: Does that say "restoration"?
Willow: It's one of her spells I think. Miss Calendar wasn't a
practicing witch, but she did dabble --
Buffy: Willow.
Willow: Oh boy... Oh, boy. Oh boy.
-- BtVS, "Becoming"

Mike Zeares

11 Mar 2001, 10:55:2911/03/2001
In article <98fkaf$v5j$1...@news3.cadvision.com>, First Fallen says...

>Here's something that occured to me. Might Slayers actually be descended
>from one another? What if Slayers are born from unactivated proto-slayers?
>Perhaps Joyce was a proto-slayer who was never activated or identified...and
>her abilities then passed to Buffy, who was?

Possible. My personal crap-garbage theory, though, is that all proto-Slayers
will be activated. The Force that activates Slayers has some sort of
foreknowledge and knows how many proto-Slayers will be needed in any given time
period. Otherwise, there has to be some sort of magical cut-off age, past which
a PS cannot be activated. There's absolutely no evidence for any of this, so we
can happily debate it until we're Jossed.

I have many fanfic ideas involving proto-Slayers, none of which will get written
because I suck at writing fiction.

-- Mike Zeares

William George Ferguson

11 Mar 2001, 11:19:5811/03/2001
dam...@san.rr.com (Daniel E. Damouth) wrote:

>William George Ferguson <fr...@primenet.com> wrote:
>>Putting them together chronologically
>>
>>pre-history: First Slayer
>>1845 - young woman in Boston
>>1866 - young Lucy Hanover in Virginia
>>1993 - young blacksmith in Oklahoma Territory
>>1897 - 20 year old Florence Gilbert in Wyoming
>
>Florence must have really kicked ass to make it into her 20's.
>
>>1900 - Chinese Slayer during Boxer Rebellion

Some inferential things about Florence (I know one of the books played
with Lucy Hanover, did any of the books play with Florence?)

She had to be at least 16 when called, since there was a different
Slayer 4 years earlier.

She didn't make it to 25.

It's too small a sample to really tell, but it looks like multiple
Slayers in a given 10 year period is the norm (it kind of looks like
multiple Slayers in given 5 year period may be the norm)

>Buffy: Does that say "restoration"?
>Willow: It's one of her spells I think. Miss Calendar wasn't a
> practicing witch, but she did dabble --
>Buffy: Willow.
>Willow: Oh boy... Oh, boy. Oh boy.
> -- BtVS, "Becoming"

Joyce: Buffy, it's Willow. She wants you real bad.
-- BtVS, "Band Candy"

Buffy: (to Willow) I love you.
-- BtVS, "Wild At Heart"

Jeff Johnson

11 Mar 2001, 22:58:5711/03/2001

"Cody Jarret" <u2...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> They could be a descendant without being an offspring. What about a
> slayer with a brother or a real sister? ;-)

Then they might be RELATED, but not a DESCENDANT.

Prestorjon

11 Mar 2001, 23:01:3511/03/2001
<<Here's something that occured to me. Might Slayers actually be descended
from one another? What if Slayers are born from unactivated proto-slayers?
Perhaps Joyce was a proto-slayer who was never activated or identified...and
her abilities then passed to Buffy, who was?>>

An intriguing thought. Have we heard any info about how exactly Slayers come
about? For a while now I've had an interesting idea that maybe there are
several dozen slayer candidates out there at any one time and maybe the council
chooses one to become activated.

-----------------
He had been our Destroyer, the doer of things
We dreamed of doing but could not bring ourselves to do,
The fears of years, like a biting whip,
Had cut deep bloody grooves
Across our backs.
-Etheridge Knight

Robert ASF.

12 Mar 2001, 05:32:4912/03/2001
On 12 Mar 2001 04:01:35 GMT, Prestorjon <prest...@aol.com> wrote:

snip

>For a while now I've had an interesting idea that maybe there are
>several dozen slayer candidates out there at any one time and maybe the council
>chooses one to become activated.

snip

The council has nothing to do with who becomes a slayer. TPTB are
the one who do so. The council then tries to find them and train them.
Some times they are found at an early age, like Kendra, and sometimes are
not found until after they become slayers, like Buffy.

Just Thought I Should Mention It

Prestorjon

12 Mar 2001, 17:25:1812/03/2001
<<The council has nothing to do with who becomes a slayer. TPTB are
the one who do so. The council then tries to find them and train them.
Some times they are found at an early age, like Kendra, and sometimes are
not found until after they become slayers, like Buffy.>>

Well Kendra was actually what got me thinking about it. She seemed to have
gone through a lot of training perhaps more than the year or six months or
whatever since Buffy died. My thought had been that they had identified a
proto-slayer ealry and had been training her before hand.

Dr. Bond

12 Mar 2001, 22:39:2712/03/2001

That would be a good story arc. The next Slayer comes to Buffy
for some Pre-Transform training and observation form miss hot
pants herself... LOL!

"Prestorjon" <prest...@aol.com> wrote in message

Robert ASF.

13 Mar 2001, 06:34:5513/03/2001
On Tue, 13 Mar 2001 03:39:27 GMT, Dr. Bond <res0...@gte.net> wrote:

>That would be a good story arc. The next Slayer comes to Buffy
>for some Pre-Transform training and observation form miss hot
>pants herself... LOL!

snip

Well faith at one point complained that all she ever was, was a
comparison to Buffy.

Robert ASF.

13 Mar 2001, 06:36:3413/03/2001
On 12 Mar 2001 22:25:18 GMT, Prestorjon <prest...@aol.com> wrote:

snip

>Well Kendra was actually what got me thinking about it. She seemed to have

>gone through a lot of training perhaps more than the year or six months or
>whatever since Buffy died. My thought had been that they had identified a
>proto-slayer ealry and had been training her before hand.

snip

Kendra came from a 3rd world country where her watcher was a
respect man of the communiity. He took her early so that she did not
remember her mother. So she could have been in training for 15-20 years
depending on her age.

Victoria L.

16 Mar 2001, 15:57:0216/03/2001
Bill Bickel wrote:

>I wonder if any slayers have had descendants: Not only do most of them
>probably die young, but you can't exactly go off on maternity leave, so a
>pregnancy means you either allow vampires to run rampant for a few months,
>or you try to outfight them when you can't even see your feet.

I don't know. Lots of women who have quite active jobs (cops, for example)
continue to work until very late into pregnancy. I would advise switching to
sensible shoes, though.

Victoria
Miss March
"I don't believe in science." -- Drusilla

Tom McGrath

17 Mar 2001, 16:45:4417/03/2001
I would assume that most slayers don't stick around long enough to spawn.
Plus which, if Buffy goes back to boinking the undead (re...Spike) I suspect
she won't have to worry too much about that.

Unless she gets knocked up that way, but it seems pretty unlikely.

-Tommx

--
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are kings.
"Victoria L." <vik...@aol.com> wrote in message

Victoria L.

22 Mar 2001, 11:50:4722/03/2001
Tom McGrath wrote:

>I would assume that most slayers don't stick around long enough to spawn.

Of course, since we know that at least SOME slayers live into their 20s,
because at least a FEW slayers live past 25, there certainly is time for a good
number of them to have children over the centuries.

>--
>In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are kings.

You know, this saying actually seems pretty offensive to blind people. I
understand its metaphorical meaning, but just because you have one eye doesn't
really mean you're necessarily smarter, better and superior to people who are
blind, and therefore able to lord it over them. Besides, the blind people
might well think the one-eyed person's a freak and destroy him.

Okay, I'm done with my PC rant now.

Teresa Forbrigger

22 Mar 2001, 15:52:4722/03/2001

"Victoria L." wrote:

> Tom McGrath wrote:
>

> >I would assume that most slayers don't stick around long enough to spawn.
>
> Of course, since we know that at least SOME slayers live into their 20s,
> because at least a FEW slayers live past 25, there certainly is time for a good
> number of them to have children over the centuries.
>
> >--
> >In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are kings.

My two cents worth:

Yes, however, Most Slayers have probably been closely guarded by thier watchers,
like Kendra, No Boys, No dating, hell not even family. So I doubt many would have
the opportunity to have sex let alone get pregnent.

Terri

Allan Mac Donald

22 Mar 2001, 16:16:2822/03/2001

Teresa Forbrigger wrote:

> "Victoria L." wrote:
>
> > Tom McGrath wrote:
> >

> > >I would assume that most slayers don't stick around long enough to spawn.
> >
> > Of course, since we know that at least SOME slayers live into their 20s,
> > because at least a FEW slayers live past 25, there certainly is time for a good
> > number of them to have children over the centuries.
> >
> > >--
> > >In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are kings.
> >

> My two cents worth:
>
> Yes, however, Most Slayers have probably been closely guarded by thier watchers,
> like Kendra, No Boys, No dating, hell not even family. So I doubt many would have
> the opportunity to have sex let alone get pregnent.

Yes this is probably true. Although there are without a doubt slayers who went
through life never knowing a watchers councel exists. Also ones before the councel
existed

--

Frankly, madam, I haven't the faintest idea what time it is, nor do I care. Now
unlock his cell, unstrap him, and bring him to the telephone immediately. This is a

Barretto99

22 Mar 2001, 16:45:3722/03/2001
>>I would assume that most slayers don't stick around long enough to spawn.
>
>Of course, since we know that at least SOME slayers live into their 20s,
>because at least a FEW slayers live past 25, there certainly is time for a
>good
>number of them to have children over the centuries.

I wonder if slayers did have children, would that automatically make them
future slayers themselves?

Just a thought
Chris

Victoria L.

23 Mar 2001, 22:22:5723/03/2001
Teresa Forbrigger wrote:

>"Victoria L." wrote:
>
>> Tom McGrath wrote:
>>

>> >I would assume that most slayers don't stick around long enough to spawn.
>>
>> Of course, since we know that at least SOME slayers live into their 20s,
>> because at least a FEW slayers live past 25, there certainly is time for a
>good
>> number of them to have children over the centuries.
>>
>> >--
>> >In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are kings.
>>

>My two cents worth:
>
>Yes, however, Most Slayers have probably been closely guarded by thier
>watchers,
>like Kendra, No Boys, No dating, hell not even family. So I doubt many would
>have
>the opportunity to have sex let alone get pregnent.

I don't think we have much evidence for that. We've seen one extremely
traditionalist slayer (Kendra), one independent minded but part of the program
slayer (Buffy, for most of her history), and one rampaging slayer (Faith).
Clearly all three are possible, and probably myriads of other versions.

My guess is that very few slayers are in the Kendra mold. Many, maybe even
most, may have been more obedient than Buffy (though really we have no proof of
even that), but most cultures don't accept slayers as part of their worldview,
and so proto-slayers aren't likely to have had the extremely strict treatment
Kendra had.

I really think we need to avoid thinking that all slayers were A Certain Way
until Buffy came along. All the evidence we have, such as it is, goes to show
that slayers can come in all kinds of different stripes.

Dennis M Pahl

24 Mar 2001, 02:00:2724/03/2001

Victoria L. <vik...@aol.com> wrote in message
Until about a hundred years ago the norm was for girls to be subservant to
their fathers, husbands, or other authority figures. I seriously doubt there
were many slayers as independent as Buffy.

Mindeye

24 Mar 2001, 19:11:0824/03/2001
"Barretto99" <barre...@aol.comSpiceIt> escribió en el mensaje

I posted some time ago a genetic hypothesis about the Slayers. A little
summary: I presented the idea that there is a mutant "Slayerhood gene" in
the "X" chromosome which would transcribe Slayer powers, etc... If a woman
had that gene in both her "X" chromosome, she'd become a proto-slayer. There
would more than a Slayer in each generation, the CoW would find and train
them, and, when the "official" Slayer die, some force would activate the
gene of one of them

If that's true (although it's very unlikely Joss chooses it), if a Slayer
gets pregnant (unusual, I think), the children would be:

1º If the man is a "carrier" (with a Slayerhood gene in his "X" chromosome),
there would be (chances): 50% "carrier" boys and 50% proto-slayers

2º If the man is a "normal" one (without the gene), there would be
(chances): 50% "carrier" boys and 50% "carrier" girls

So, that depends who she'd have children with

Mindeye

Peter Jackson

27 Mar 2001, 10:37:0827/03/2001
Since in some societies it was normal to marry girls off around 13 it would have
been quite possible for a slayer in, for example Ancient Rome) to have become a
mother before she became the slayer. Since the Roman empire was quite large, and
existed for around 500 years, that would seem quite likely.

Peter