Recaps: Finals Week 8 Performances, 5/2/2006

1 view

Itoshi

May 2, 2006, 8:56:29 PM5/2/06
This thread is offered as a convenient place for participants of this
newsgroup to post their recaps, observations, and opinions of tonight's
"American Idol" broadcast.

Finals: Week 8 Performances, broadcast on 5/2/2006

PRELIMINARIES

PERFORMANCES

Elliott Yamin - "On Broadway"

Paris Bennett - "Kiss"

Chris Daughtry - "Renegade" (I think)

Katharine McPhee - "Against All Odds"

Taylor Hicks - "Play That Funky Music, White Boy"

Elliott Yamin - "Home" (?)

Paris Bennett - "Be With You"

Chris Daughtry - "I Dare You"

Katharine McPhee - ?

Taylor Hicks - "Something"

WRAPUP

Itoshi

May 2, 2006, 9:02:59 PM5/2/06
On Tue, 02 May 2006 19:56:29 -0500, Itoshi <ito...@no.spam.com> wrote:

>This thread is offered as a convenient place for participants of this
>newsgroup to post their recaps, observations, and opinions of tonight's
>"American Idol" broadcast.
>
>Finals: Week 8 Performances, broadcast on 5/2/2006

PRELIMINARIES

Anthony Federov is in the audience. Seacrest says each finalist will
perform two songs tonight.

SITJ. RCFH and boos Simon. That's so stupid. Randy, stop being stupid.

The theme tonight is songs from the year they were born

PERFORMANCES

Elliott Yamin - "On Broadway"

Elliott has been chewing his fingernails since he was a kid. Who did this
song last year? Wasn't it someone who was eliminated early? Anyway,
Elliott's voice sounds good, as always, and tonight, he's putting some
good energy into it. Other than the goofy necktie, it was a flawless
performance, and more interesting than many of his past ones. Randy liked
it. Paula liked it. Simon said it was "a bit disjointed," and Elliott is
lucky he has two songs tonight. It's in Simon's contract that he gets to
say that to one of the finalists every year.

[break]

I don't recognize the song playing on this commercial, but I can tell the
singer is Kelly Clarkson. It was a Ford commercial.

SITJ = Seacrest introduces the judges.

RCFH = Randy cheers for himself.

[return]

Paris Bennett - "Kiss"
Paris says she's doing Kiss because it's a song that most people can't
make a song out of, but she can. Paris was born in 1988. Her mother used
to dress her in silly dresses. No comment. Paris is a perfect example of
why they should raise the minimum age to 17 or 18. As for her performance,
her voice sounded good, but as with most of Paris's other performances, it
was just weird and a bit comical and disturbing. Randy liked it. "Thn.
Q." Paula, who is oblivious to tonight's theme, said she likes it better
when Paris sing's older songs. "Thn. Q." Simon hated it. "Thn. Q." What an
annoying person.

Chris Daughtry - "Renegade" (I think)

After two weeks of doing something different, Chris is back in his comfort
zone ... dressing in black, shouting, and singing a downer song in a minor
key. Randy said it was great. Paula liked it. Simon liked the song choice
and said it was a million times better than the first two performances. If
there was any doubt before that Chris is being pimped, is there any doubt
now?

[break]

During the break, someone please explain to Paula that the singers are
required to choose a song from the year they were born.

[return]

Katharine McPhee - "Against All Odds"

Katharine says she didn't know about the popped button on her dress last
week, but she's sure people were using their Tivos. She's "strapped in"
tonight. Katharine didn't make noise as a baby, or something. LOL, she is
literally strapped in to her dress - she has black leather straps, like
belts, around her chest, waist, and just above her knees. The singing
isn't so great. She slipped out some "choos", and got flat and untonal (is
that a word) on the high, loud part. The end was better. Randy said parts
of it were rough, but the end was better. Paula said it wasn't her best
performance. Simon agreed with Randy and Paula, it wasn't that good.
Seacrest asks Katharine what moment it started to fall apart, and she said
from the very beginning, then stammered a lot. Simon then says that he
said earlier it was one of her best performances, when he meant that it
wasn't. We understood what you meant.

Taylor Hicks - "Play That Funky Music, White Boy"

Taylor is in his classic form tonight. It's a song he can move to and do
his thing. The more Taylor moves around, the better his singing is. If you
like Spastic Taylor, you'll like this, and if you don't, you won't. He's
writing on the floor for the end, and lets out one last "whoo!" Randy said
"wow." Paula said "this is the authentic Taylor." Simon said "it was like
a horrible, horrible wedding performance." Simon has never liked Spastic
Taylor. Seacrest lies down on the floor with Taylor to give out the phone
numbers. Taylor hollers "Soul Patrol" twice.

[break]

I'm going to be honest here. I've liked Taylor from the beginning, and I
enjoy most of his mannerisms and quirks, but I really dislike his blurting
out of "Soul Patrol!" It's like Randy cheering for himself when he's
introduced. It's stupid.

Whenever I see a really cool commercial on during "American Idol," I know
even before they show the advertiser that it's Target.

[return]

The songs the contestants are performing have to have been on the
Billboard Top Ten during the year they were born. It can be any of
Billboard's 649 official charts. Some of the American Idols of the past
have done well on the charts. Seacrest pumps the AI CD, while Randy holds
it and flashes gang signs. Seacrest says he doesn't know what that hand
gesture means. Randy said it means, "I'm Randy Jackson! Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!"

Elliott Yamin - "Home" (?)

These performances are so short, there's no time to write anything. This
was Boring Elliott, as in, he sang it well, but I couldn't bring myself to
care. After the song, Elliott tried to dash away, but Seacrest caught him
and brought him before the judges. Randy said the performance was nice.
Paula said she melted at the richness of his voice. Simon said he wouldn't
have chosen a song with the lyrics, "I want to go home." Simon said it
lacked the wow factor.

Paris Bennett - "Be With You"

I think my Bragging Rights entry is looking good tonight. Paris made a
finger telephone when the lyrics said "call." If I wasn't watching her, I
might actually like this performance, but the visual side of Paris
performing is just so wrong. Randy liked it. "Thn. Q." Paula liked it, but
wanted to see Paris add her own "flip" to it. "Thn. Q." Simon liked it.
"Thn. Q." Seacrest told Paris that the judges liked her performance. "Thn.
Q."

[break]

GFTC. I'm late.

GFTC = Gotta feed the cats.

[return]

Chris Daughtry - "I Dare You"

This is more of the same old Chris Daughtry crap. Chris's family is in the
audience, minus his hot wife. Randy said Chris's voice sounds like it's
giving out. He didn't like it much. Paula agreed, but said she loves him.
Simon said the same thing about Chris's voice, but that the first
performance was great. Chatting with Seacrest, Chris said he performed
that song five times tonight.

Katharine McPhee - ?
Katharine is sitting on the floor. She's singing from her knees. I've
never seen that before on American Idol. Not many words to this song,
"Whoo-hoo. Whoo-whoo. No no. No no. No no." It's an interesting song,
and she's still on her knees, writing around a little bit. That was unique
and kind of hot. Randy said that was the Katharine he has grown to love.
Paula liked it. Katharine's toes are painted shiny aqua to match her top.
Simon liked the performance much better than her first one. Katharine
isn't wearing a bra.

[break]

Tonight and tomorrow, on "House, M.D." one of the doctors will die unless
House helps him.

[return]

Taylor Hicks - "Something"
Taylor wasn't born in 1969; this song was on some miscellaneous Billboard
chart at a convenient time for Taylor. Taylor isn't spazzing out, but his
voice sounds good anyway. I don't know about this song choice for him.
It's not really a screaming song, in my opinion. I think he sounds great
on the quieter parts, but I don't care for what he's doing when he gets
loud. Not on this song. Anyway, it didn't suck. Randy liked it. Paula said
it was a daring choice, but she liked it. Simon commented about sneaking
this song from 1969 into tonight. He said he sometimes forgets that Taylor
has a very good voice. "Whoo!" Taylor blurts out "Soul Patrol" while
Seacrest is giving the phone numbers.

WRAPUP

We see video recaps of the performances.

Randy said it was a wild night. Paula said it was different and
interesting. Some were good. Simon said "I thought it was a bit erratic,
to be honest with you." Simon gives himself a 9½ out of 10. Randy gives
Simon a 5. The only thing tireder than Simon and Seacrest snipping at each
other is Randy cutting down Simon.

My favorite performances tonight:
Taylor - "Play that Funky Music, White Boy"
Katharine - "Against All Odds"
Elliott - "On Broadway"
Katharine - the woo-hoo song
Taylor - "Something"
Elliott - "Home"
Paris and Paris
Chris and Chris

jewahe

May 2, 2006, 9:05:49 PM5/2/06

Itoshi wrote:
> This thread is offered as a convenient place for participants of this
> newsgroup to post their recaps, observations, and opinions of tonight's
> "American Idol" broadcast.
>
> Finals: Week 8 Performances, broadcast on 5/2/2006

Elliot - "On Broadway"
Voice: Really shaking.
Song Choice: Not good. The song just didn't work.
Interpretation: Okay
Entertainment: He's coming into his own.
Appearance: Standard
Compared to previous: Not as good as other performances.
Overall Rating: 6/10
Notes: I don't like the song.

Paris - "Kiss"
Voice: Pretty good tonight; she just over annunciates
Song Choice: Surprisingly good.
Interpretation: She was having fun, but I didn't think she caught it.
Entertainment: Pretty good.
Appearance: Not bad tonight.
Compared to previous: Better than usual.
Overall Rating: 8/10
Notes: I actually thought that this was pretty good for her; she didn't
go as high as Prince, but kept it within her range.

Chris - "Renegade"
Voice: The vibrato is back. But he did well this song.
Song Choice: Really good. It showed a lot more range.
Interpretation: I just don't feel much from him.
Entertainment: Okay
Appearance: Standard Chris.
Compared to previous: About the same.
Overall Rating: 7/10
Notes:

Katharine - "Take a Look at me tonight"
Voice: Melisma fever tonight; she showed little control, and had a
whiney end.
Song Choice: Not good; the arrangement had notes that were a bit too
low.
Interpretation: II didn't feel any emotion from this one.
Entertainment: Okay.
Appearance: Hot.
Compared to previous: Not the best.
Overall Rating: 6/10
Notes:

Taylor - "Play That Funky Music White Boy"
Voice: He shouts and growls the notes more often than not, but he
sounds good doing it.
Song Choice: This was more than expected. But it is perfect for him.
Interpretation: Pretty good.
Entertainment: He was obviously having fun.
Appearance: Not bad.
Compared to previous: His usual
Overall Rating: 8/10
Notes:

Elliot - "Home"
Voice: Not in good form tonight...while he hit the notes, it was
somewhat shaky.
Song Choice: Boring, although it does showcase his voice.
Interpretation: Boring.
Entertainment: Boring.
Appearance: See above.
Compared to previous: Not his best.
Overall Rating: 6/10
Notes:

Paris - "Be Without You"
Voice: Breathiness is back;
Song Choice: Not a terrible choice.
Interpretation: Okay.
Entertainment: Prett fun
Appearance: See above.
Compared to previous: Better than the earlier one, and better than
usual.
Overall Rating: 8/10
Notes:

Chris - "I Dare You"
Voice: On Key Shouting
Song Choice: Predicatable
Interpretation: None needed.
Entertainment: Okay
Appearance: See above
Compared to previous: Standard Chris
Overall Rating: 7/10
Notes:

Katharine - "Black Horse & Cherry Tree"
Voice: Avoided the melisma, which didn't improve things...her voice
sounded thin on this one.
Song Choice: Surprisingly good.
Interpretation: Okay, but nothing special. At least she was having fun
Entertainment: what was the whole floor show...it was silly.
Appearance: pretty good.
Compared to previous: About standard.
Overall Rating: 6/10
Notes:

Taylor - "Something"
Voice: Not good; the song was too high for him, and he got sharp.
Song Choice: Too high.
Interpretation: Pretty much nailed it.
Entertainment: A bit boring, but he can command a stage.
Appearance: See above.
Compared to previous: Slower songs are not his strength.
Overall Rating: 7/10
Notes:

Rankings:
1. Taylor
2. Chris.
3. Paris
4. Kat
5. Elliot.

I think this is it for Elliot.

Vandar

May 2, 2006, 9:22:17 PM5/2/06
Itoshi wrote:

> Katharine McPhee - Black Horse and Cherry Tree

(added the song title)

> Taylor Hicks - "Something"

I'll just sum up my thoughts about this week by saying that everyone
failed to impress me at all. I didn't like any of the song choices and
the performers all seemed a little off in one way or another.

On a side note: Itoshi, would it possible for you to put the definition
of your acronyms *before* the section you use them in? It makes it more
difficult for the reader if they see "RCFH" in your recap and then have
to scroll ahead to find out what it means, then scroll back and re-read
the original text.
Just my 2ข.

Itoshi

May 2, 2006, 9:31:45 PM5/2/06
On Wed, 03 May 2006 01:22:17 GMT, Vandar <vand...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On a side note: Itoshi, would it possible for you to put the definition
>of your acronyms *before* the section you use them in? It makes it more
>difficult for the reader if they see "RCFH" in your recap and then have
>to scroll ahead to find out what it means, then scroll back and re-read
>the original text.

I type the recaps in real time, with no editing afterward. I use the
abbreviations so I can type faster. I spell out the abbreviations at the
next commercial break. So, basically, it isn't possible to spell them out
before I use them.

Vandar

May 2, 2006, 9:46:53 PM5/2/06
Itoshi wrote:

Understood.
Thanks.

Suzanne D.

May 2, 2006, 10:45:49 PM5/2/06
> Finals: Week 8 Performances, broadcast on 5/2/2006
> PRELIMINARIES

Another boring "theme" week to make sure nobody steps out of their box.
When is the Gregorian Chants night coming?

Liked Paula's curly hair tonight. And she didn't seem drugged.

I paid close attention to Simon tonight, since I think a lot rides on his
comments this week. He knows he has to raise his favorites just enough to
get people to like them, but still let them down just enough that their fans
will be propelled to vote. The ones he DOESN'T like, he has to praise
enough that the fans will think them safe, while not praising them enough to
give non-fans a reason to like them. Tricky, and fascinating.

> PERFORMANCES
> Elliott Yamin - "On Broadway"

Elliot was born "way back in 1978." I feel so old. He tried very hard to
show personality, and while I think he lacks natural charisma, he sure is
trying hard to cultivate it, with some success. The voice is excellent as
always, but the overall effect was meh until the end, where he became a
little bit awesome. (And some nice scat in the middle!) Simon said it was
not his best, which may help to motivate his fans.

> Elliott Yamin - "Home"
Good move in doing a slow song now. Shows his range. A little dull.
Technically good, but I would have liked to see a little more vulnerability.
When I start to harp on wanting to see vulnerability, you know I am out of
bad things to say about the contestant. Liked the running around with Ryan,
but it made Paula do some weird cackle laugh which was really creepy.

> Paris Bennett - "Kiss"
What is UP with her speaking voice? That's seriously weird. She's going to
be on Rikki Lake some day on the "People think we are children when we
answer the phone" show.
I never liked Prince, but now I realize how much I should appreciate him.
Yikes. I mean, it was okay, a pretty good imitation of Prince, but Prince
is just so much better. She tried to rhyme "boy" with "world," which tells
us that some songs probably shouldn't be sung by the opposite gender. I
think Simon called it "screechy and annoying" just to see if she would thank
him for an outright diss. (She did.) If she survives next week, he should
tell her that her momma is a whore. Bet she'd still thank him.

>> Paris Bennett - "Be With You"

The Fashion Queen is back! A cute puff-sleeved 1940s style blouse in a
camouflage print open at the bottom to show her belly button, a red belt,
silver satin capris, and spike heels. Yeah! The performance, not so much.
Very bad belt note. Boring.

>Chris Daughtry - "Renegade" (I think)

That quiet part at the beginning was very arresting--reminded me of Bo's a
capella song last year. I could see people all across America suddenly
shutting up and looking at the TV. Very nice. The fast part put him right
in his element. If you're not sick of Chris yet, this was very good.

> Chris Daughtry - "I Dare You"

Not much of a departure from the other song. Same style. Except for a few
bad notes, this was very good. Simon gave very interesting criticism--that
he sounded hoarse and his voice was failing--which should guarantee both the
pity votes AND the "Uh oh, he might not be safe!" votes. I get annoyed with
angry rawk stars, but I am thinking it's looking like a Chris/Kat final.

> Katharine McPhee - "Against All Odds"

Classy move appearing in a tasteful black dress this week! She's in the
catbird seat for the rest of the season, so she doesn't need to sex it up
any more. Might as well get fans of a less base sort to add to the "Yowza!"
fans she made last week! Song-wise, wow, this was weak. Just not very good
at all. I mean, good, yeah, but not her standard. Was it too low for her?
She just wasn't all there. She struggled with the belt note, then gave a
long sustained note with no vibrato. Possibly her worst performance. Simon
called it a mess, then broke into Ryan's talk by reiterating that he didn't
like it. So she's in.

> Katharine McPhee - "Black Horse & Cherry Tree"
On the floor? Barefoot? Weird. Boring. Simon brought her back with his
comments. She's in.

> Taylor Hicks - "Play That Funky Music, White Boy"

Started out as a decent balance between voice and spaz, but he went into
full spaz mode toward the end. He just can't go between, I guess. He was
in full Floppy Taylor mode at the end--all spaz, no singing. It was funny.
Simon criticized him, so he's probably safe this week. Unless he does
something unforgivable, that is.

> Taylor Hicks - "Something"
Oh no he didn't. Did I say unforgivable? He took one of the best songs
ever written and did NOTHING with it. He didn't butcher it, no, but he's so
NOT George Harrison. All the yeahs and whoos and everything just
bastardized a gorgeous song. Shame on you!

Who SHOULD go: Paris
Who WILL go: Paris.
--S.

Patrick

May 2, 2006, 10:47:48 PM5/2/06

"Vandar" <vand...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Ah, don't worry about it, Vandar. Once you read enough of Itoshi's recaps,
you'll get to learn what the acronyms are. RCFH is always Randy cheers for
himself.
RFGS is always Randy flashes gang signs.
Paula CLAS is always Paula claps like a seal.
GFTC is always gotta feed the cats.

and etc..., etc..., etc... :-)

Idle American

May 2, 2006, 10:55:58 PM5/2/06

> On a side note: Itoshi, would it possible for you to put the definition of
> your acronyms *before* the section you use them in?

Hey, give the guy a break. He's got cats to feed plus he has to work for
Target. And he gets paid nothing for typing up these recaps.

WhansaMi

May 2, 2006, 11:14:51 PM5/2/06

> PERFORMANCES
>
> Elliott Yamin - "On Broadway"
Again, I want to like him, but I was bored.

> Paris Bennett - "Kiss"
I actually liked this. It was fun. She also didn't annoy me as much as she
usually does.

> Chris Daughtry - "Renegade" (I think)

Best performance of the night, IMO. Absolutely fantastic.
I started off backing Taylor. With tonight's performance, I think I am
going to have to formally change my "favorite" to Chris.

> Katharine McPhee - "Against All Odds"

The arrangement was odd. I didn't hate it, but, yeah... it was odd.

> Taylor Hicks - "Play That Funky Music, White Boy"

Fun. Entertaining. It wasn't my favorite song for him, primarily because
it seemed too predictable, but it was okay.

> Elliott Yamin - "Home" (?)

I love Buble's version of this song. While (IMO) Elliott didn't captured
the wistfulness of the original, I thought he did a decent job.

> Paris Bennett - "Be With You"

I've never heard this song before, but I thought she did it well. DH and DD
say it was very close to the original, and both enjoyed it.

> Chris Daughtry - "I Dare You"

Ick. Screeching again. Chris.... I love you.. tone it down.

> Katharine McPhee - ?

As I said on the other post, I think she went WAY overboard with the
quasi-sexual, subliminal message thing. The vocals were nice. I wish she
had focussed on that and hadn't made it all about her poses.

> Taylor Hicks - "Something"

Nice job. Then a very frightening idea came to me... I could be his MOTHER.

Ratings:
Chris 10/10 for first song, 6/10 for second: total 16/20
Paris 8/10 for first song, 7 for second: total 15/20
Taylor: 6/10 first song, 7/10 for second: total 14/20
Elliott 6/10 first song, 8/10 second song: total 14/20
Katherine 3/10 first song, 8/10 for second: total 11/20

Sheila

Message has been deleted

JXStern

May 3, 2006, 12:01:38 AM5/3/06
On Tue, 02 May 2006 19:56:29 -0500, Itoshi <ito...@no.spam.com> wrote:
>Finals: Week 8 Performances, broadcast on 5/2/2006
>
>PRELIMINARIES

Gads, they're moving it along fast tonite.

>PERFORMANCES
>
>Elliott Yamin - "On Broadway"

Well, I dunno. Good if you like that sort of thing. Dare I say it
was "too Broadway"?!?!

Elliot, bro, get yerself an Armani jacket, and if you can't afford
that, try the $39 clones. And if you're so lucky as to survive
another week, I've got one word for ya: caps.

But then, exactly which of the male contestants has a better image?
Hmm, ...

>Paris Bennett - "Kiss"

Simon wuz right, of all the too old for her songs she's ever sung,
this was the mostest, and she gave it herworst performance ever.

>Chris Daughtry - "Hangman"

Great song, a staple of oldies stations. But truncated without the
chorus? Drech. Not Chris's best performance, but it was aright.

>Katharine McPhee - "Against All Odds" (Take a look at me now)

Pretty good, but she just couldn't keep all four wheels on the ground.
New look for her. Well, better for a little variation, I guess.
Thought the judges were a little harsh.

>Taylor Hicks - "Play That Funky Music, White Boy"

I dunno about the choice of song ...

... nope.

Calling Austin Powers, this guy has lost his mojo.

>Elliott Yamin - "Home" (?)

Good choice of song, but he doesn't really have the chops for it.
Yes, you need chops, even for such a simple-seeming piece of music,
maybe especially because it's such a simple piece of music, there's
nowhere to hide. But it sounded OK, if you weren't listening closely.

>Paris Bennett - "Be With You"

What Simon said - that was very good. I think it may be her best
performance ever. It should appeal to her demographic, too.

>Chris Daughtry - "I Dare You"

Chris doin his thang.

>Katharine McPhee - "Black Horse and the Cherry Tree"

Cute. Adult Top 40. Simon, the song isn't "younger", it's "newer".

I didn't know Simon would ever like this kind of song, live and learn.

>Taylor Hicks - "Something"
The finale, here it comes ...

Well. Maybe the best performance he's ever had, an actual song, in
his own style, without excessive spazing. And you know what, I still
don't get him.

>WRAPUP

I think they're all being overworked, including maybe the show's
producers.

Hmm, so what's the bottom line?

Paris and Taylor were *marginally* weaker than Elliot, Chris and
Katharine somewhat stronger.

I thought Paris would go last week, I guess she goes this week.

J.

Mickey

May 3, 2006, 12:50:11 AM5/3/06
Itoshi wrote:

> This thread is offered as a convenient place for participants of this
> newsgroup to post their recaps, observations, and opinions of tonight's
> "American Idol" broadcast.
>
> Finals: Week 8 Performances, broadcast on 5/2/2006
>
> PRELIMINARIES
>
> PERFORMANCES
>
> Elliott Yamin - "On Broadway"

Not a bad song choice for Elliot, but the song is inherantly cool,
without a lot of opportunity to show the sort of stuff that garners many
AI votes. His attempt to juice it up at the end with some runs was not
altogether convincing, certainly out of character with the rest of the
song.

> Paris Bennett - "Kiss"

Chris is not the only one showing some signs of vocal fatique. The less
said the better. Paris has a lot of talent, but musically she is still
very young and really hasn't yet developed any personal taste or sense
of the material she is performing.

> Chris Daughtry - "Renegade" (I think)

Intensity he exudes. Musically interesting singing he doesn't. This
performance is about as subtle as brick up side the head and just about
as entertaining.

> Katharine McPhee - "Against All Odds"

A train wreck of sorts, but not quite the Pickleresque pile up posters
in earlier time zones suggested. Borrowing a line from "Struther Martin
in Cool Hand Luke, "what we've got here is a failure to communicate." I
got the impression Kat wanted to push the tempo forward and the band
just would not budge. (I sometime wonder if they are playing to click
track.) After her comment that she thought she was having some problem
hearing, I started to wonder if the problem might have been mutual,
i.e., the band not hearing her either. We'll probably never know. Not a
great vocal, but I've heard worse get praise or at least an a'ight.

> Taylor Hicks - "Play That Funky Music, White Boy"

Very entertaining. Simon may not get it, but I think a lot of folk do.
Taylor is not a great singer, but he knows how to play to his crowd,
which he did well, tonight.

> Elliott Yamin - "Home" (?)

I was disappointed. Although I'm not familiar with this song, it seemed
to me that Elliot misread the lyric. I don't mean his missed any words.
I mean his phrasing was off, as if he had learned the song phonetically
and didn't really know what it meant. I will go back and listen again,
later, but I came away from the performance with the impression that
this song was much more interesting than Elliot made it seem.

> Paris Bennett - "Be With You"

Talent, but it's all mimicry. Good luck, Paris. Go find yourself.

> Chris Daughtry - "I Dare You"

Singing an under three minute song five times should not cause the edema
of the vocal folds that was obvious in Chris's speaking voice after this
piece. He has some profound vocal faults that need to be addressed
before he considers a fulltime career in singing. It is quite possible
that one short performance (two songs) every few days is the present
sustainable limit of his voice without doing serious and potentiall
permanent damage to the mechanism.

> Katharine McPhee - ?

Charming piece. Getting down with the drummers was probably a good thing
after the communication problems in her previous piece. Not a great song
or a stellar performance, but it did show some personality and a
willingness to have a little fun.

> Taylor Hicks - "Something"

This started out rough and never quite got on track. BUT, I was very
impressed with Taylor's intensity and effort to make the lyrics real, as
if the thought were just occuring to him. In places, he showed some very
nice vocal acting.

> WRAPUP

No one knocked it out of the park. The only thing slightly significant
is that Elliot didn't do what he need to do tonight, kill. His first
selection just didn't give him the leverage and he didn't make much use
of his second selection.

The Other Mickey

fmomoon

May 3, 2006, 1:17:27 AM5/3/06

"Itoshi" <ito...@no.spam.com> wrote in message

> This thread is offered as a convenient place for participants of this
> newsgroup to post their recaps, observations, and opinions of tonight's
> "American Idol" broadcast.
>
> Finals: Week 8 Performances, broadcast on 5/2/2006
>
> PRELIMINARIES
>
> PERFORMANCES
>
> Elliott Yamin - "On Broadway"
Good work. He didn't do the Benson version. He was quite original and yet
kept the style honest. A bit of a rough start.

Grade A-

> Paris Bennett - "Kiss"
Good song, good look. She surprised me as to her own sexuality and her
comfort. This is not your typical 17 year old. Some vocal issues, but
generaly good work.

Grade B+

> Chris Daughtry - "Renegade" (I think)

Not bad. Not my style and he is slipping back into his comfort zone, but he
didn't sound bad.

Grade B

> Katharine McPhee - "Against All Odds"

Bad song for her. Too low, and pitchy. She admited she had some problems
and, well, you have to give her credit for honesty.

Grade C

> Taylor Hicks - "Play That Funky Music, White Boy"

I laughed. Yeah, he puts on a good show, I'll give him that. The song was
terribly challenging, but it was entertaining.

Grade B

> Elliott Yamin - "Home" (?)

Lovely. He doesn't have the smoothness of Buble, but he sounded quite good.
I had to laugh at his goofy actions after the song. He has a very charming
way about him.

Grade A

> Paris Bennett - "Be With You"

I'm not a real Blige fan, so I can only go by what I heard. I heard pitchy
notes but good rhythmic style. The song was "meh" for me, but I admit Paris
captured the song well. Not original, but a good copy.

Grade C+

> Chris Daughtry - "I Dare You"

I hated it. Screaming. Hurt throat. Please stop the pain, now.

Grade D

> Katharine McPhee - ?
So cool! For those who complain about singers not being able to sing
properly while sitting, listen to her. She sounded great, charming, and
loads of personality. She took a specific stylistic song and did a very
good job.

Grade A

> Taylor Hicks - "Something"
Love, love, love this song. His high notes were perfection. This is my
favorite song from him. He didn't take a single mis-step.

Grade A

> WRAPUP
Rankings:
1. Elliott
2. Taylor
3. Paris
4. Katharine
5. Chris

Who should go: Chris (if based on this week alone) or Taylor (if previous
few weeks are factored in)
Who will go: Katharine (because she blew the first song and the second one
is rather obscure to the people who don't follow that genre).
--
Moni (fmomoon)

Kittyn

May 3, 2006, 2:04:28 AM5/3/06
On Tue, 02 May 2006 19:56:29 -0500, Itoshi <ito...@no.spam.com> wrote:

>This thread is offered as a convenient place for participants of this
>newsgroup to post their recaps, observations, and opinions of tonight's
>"American Idol" broadcast.
>
>Finals: Week 8 Performances, broadcast on 5/2/2006
>
>PRELIMINARIES
>
>PERFORMANCES
>
>Elliott Yamin - "On Broadway"

There was a bit of shakiness in his voice with this song that seemed
off, but I wouldn't say it was awful. I would probably classify it as
average.

>Paris Bennett - "Kiss"

Not horrible, but I just didn't feel it. I think she is living on
borrowed time.

>Chris Daughtry - "Renegade" (I think)

I enjoyed this performance but I don't think it really let Chris step
outside his box. I like Chris and I enjoy his musical style, but he
is starting to get predictable.

>Katharine McPhee - "Against All Odds"

This was a holy mess. Not a train wreck ala Kellie the past couple of
weeks, but for Kat this was a huge step backwards.

>Taylor Hicks - "Play That Funky Music, White Boy"

This was no vocal showcase, but he gave his people what they wanted.
As I mentioned earlier today, it is ok if he does this sort of
performance when they have two songs, so he can show he is not a one
trick pony. One for the fans....now we need one for the judges.

>Elliott Yamin - "Home" (?)

This was better than his first by far and I think this performance
probably saved Elliot from elimination and probably immune from the
bottom 2 as well.

>Paris Bennett - "Be With You"

This was not good, in my opinion. Anyone that has not heard the
original will not realize how much she butchered it, but I still would
be shocked if she is not bottom 2 tomorrow.

>Chris Daughtry - "I Dare You"

This was not good. He screamed the song and is in grave danger of
wearing his voice out badly before he gets through with the season.
The next couple of weeks are full of songs. To even get to the
finals, he has to sing 5 songs in two weeks. At this rate, he is
either going to have to start doing soft ballads or will not have the
vocal stamina to follow through.

>Katharine McPhee - ?

I didn't like this at all. I am aware that her fans probably adored
her with this, but I just didn't get it. My brother, who is a fan,
said she was sort of enacting the video. I have not seen it, but will
take his word for it. I think Kat may have shot herself in the foot.

>Taylor Hicks - "Something"

This was the one for the judges I spoke about this morning. A Taylor
mini-contest. I think he protected himself nicely with his two
completely different performances.

Side note: Attn Itoshi: Just for the record, I do not think he is
attempting to cheer himself by calling out to the soul patrol. I
think he is just honestly paying tribute to his fan club, that
supported him even prior to AI. Although I do agree that he should
probably limit it to once a show, or at least once a performance.

>WRAPUP

This week will tell a lot. If, as I suspect, the women are the bottom
2 this week, I will be even more suspicious of a 2 man final. I don't
see any of the men going home this week and would be pretty shocked if
they did. By all accounts Paris should be the one going home and
probably will, but Kat shouldn't be resting too comfortably because I
think there is still a decent chance of her going home as well.

Patrick Gleeson

May 3, 2006, 3:26:03 AM5/3/06

Recaps: Finals Week 8 Performances, 5/2/2006

PRELIMINARIES
PERFORMANCES

Elliott Yamin - "On Broadway"

***Not bad. Definitely not great. He was back to the rapper hand
movements. Damn it! Cut that shit OUT, Elliot!***

Paris Bennett - "Kiss"

***I could've sworn that instead of singing "from DUSK to dawn," she
said, "from DUCKS to dawn." I wonder if she can properly pronounce the
word "ASK." I have a feeling she pronounces it "AXE." This really was a
weird performance. Alot of screeching and she does this weird thing with
her lips while she sings, kinda like the hombachure (sp?) of a trumpet
player, with strange sounds coming out, especially during the lower
parts. I didn't like it at all. The rump shaking was not a good thing to
see.***

***Hey Paris, you look like a Pekinese! PARIS: "Tank you, I love all the
comments."Hey Paris, you look like Gary Coleman! PARIS: "Tank you, I
love all comments. Hey Paris, that performance was hidious! PARIS: "Tank
you, tank you."***

Chris Daughtry - "Renegade" (I think)

***Overall, I liked it. His vocals were good, but he didn't look as
comfortable as he normally does, especially when he took the mic stand
with him behind the judges. By the way, has he ever sang with JUST THE
FREAKIN' MIC, without holding the STAND?***

Katharine McPhee - "Against All Odds"

***This was not only Katherine's worst performance, but this was one of
the worst performances of anybody from this season's top 12. It was
KELLIE-ESQUE! Simon got it right, the song got away from her. She was so
out of tune from the very beginning to the end that I literally had to
turn away and cringe throughout the whole song. Then her voice started
cracking because I think she realized that it was just not happinin'.
She tried to cover up the mess by attempting to do the runs and riffs
but THAT was making it worse. Horrible, just HORRIBLE!***

Taylor Hicks - "Play That Funky Music, White Boy"

***Ok, now THAT'S entertainment!***

Elliott Yamin - "Home" (?)

***Now Elliot brought it HOME! I can't stand this song, but not when
ELLIOT sings it! Superb job!***

Paris Bennett - "Be With You"

***Although her voice was better this time, I don't like the style of
today's R&B. I don't like Mary J Blige either so overall, it did nothing
for me.

Chris Daughtry - "I Dare You"

***There were those who constantly complained about Mandisa "shouting"
when she sang, so I hope Chris doesn't get a pass on this. Because he
didn't sing the song, he SHOUTED the ENTIRE SONG! Got the fire pimpage
but even that couldn't help this weak performance.***

Katharine McPhee - ?

***A complete opposite of the first performance. This was the BEST of
the night. It was different, sexy, fun and her vocals were right on. I
just don't care for her giddy, dorky personality when she's not
performing. She doesn't have much poise.***

Taylor Hicks - "Something"

***This is one of the very few Beatles songs I like but Taylor did a
good job. I know most Beatles fans are extra critical when anybody
covers one of their songs, but Taylor gave a tasteful performance. Once
of the best vocals that I've heard from him to date. Taylor is dressing
well these days.***

WRAPUP

***Who would have thought that the two best singers in this year's
competition (Elliot and Kat) would perform two songs in the same night
that last year's punching bag, (deserved or undeserved), Scott Savol did
and both didn't perform them as well as Scott.***

My Top 10 performances

1. Katharine's "black horse" song with the two street entertainers next
to her on stage.

2. Elliot's hopefully NOT going "Home."

3. Taylor's Beatles tune.

4. Taylor's white boy ass being funky.

5. Chris' "Renegade."

6. Elliot's "Broadway."

7. Paris' Blige.

8. Paris' smacker.

9. Chris' burned out shout out and fizzle out.

10. Kat's odd.

My Top 5

1. TAYLOR
2. ELLIOT
3. KATHARINE
4. CHRIS
5. PARIS

Who SHOULD go: PARIS

Who WILL go: ELLIOT

Louie

May 3, 2006, 6:23:09 AM5/3/06
On Tue, 02 May 2006 19:56:29 -0500, Itoshi <ito...@no.spam.com> wrote:

>This thread is offered as a convenient place for participants of this
>newsgroup to post their recaps, observations, and opinions of tonight's
>"American Idol" broadcast.
>
>Finals: Week 8 Performances, broadcast on 5/2/2006
>
>PRELIMINARIES
>
>PERFORMANCES
>
>Elliott Yamin - "On Broadway"

Great voice. He probably won't win but he has the best voice of the
lot... A

>Paris Bennett - "Kiss"

Awful. Why did she pick a Prince song? This girl is in way over her
head. She can't pronouce her words, her stage mannerism are definitely
staged and awkward...please go home. D

>Chris Daughtry - "Renegade" (I think)

He is in a rut. He does look cool though. He's got style even when
he's not moving. Attitude is part of it and he definitely looks the
part. B

>Katharine McPhee - "Against All Odds"

Another awful. Yelling is not singing. She loses all quality when she
pumps up the volume. A generic diva...C and an F for fashion...she
picks too many duds that make her look like a fatty. I just don't get
her at all. C

>Taylor Hicks - "Play That Funky Music, White Boy"

He has performance skills but they won't show up on a CD. He should be
on stage. He won't sell music, his voice isn't strong...he is a visual
act...B-

>Elliott Yamin - "Home" (?)

Very nice... A

>Paris Bennett - "Be With You"

Not good. She tries to sing with style and it just doesn't work. Her
songs just don't seem like a complete piece. She sings like a kid,
acts like a kid and unsuprisingly is a kid. Quit trying to play with
the adults and go home. D+

>Chris Daughtry - "I Dare You"

One of his weakest performance but still looks like a rock star...

>Katharine McPhee -

Good styling and a good job but I still wouldn't buy her records.
There is nothing unique about her voice that would make it stand above
the seemingly hundreds of female singers flooding the market. These
days, if not always, it's the song, not the singer. She's a smoky
lounge act...a ritzy lounge to be sure but her appeal is limited. I
can't see teenagers digging her at all. I'm an adult an don't dig her
either...B

>Taylor Hicks - "Something"

It is one of my favorite songs...done by Joe Cocker. Taylor shouldn't
have tried a classic Beatles or classic Joe Cocker song. He just
sounded bland. When he just sings instead of doing flops all over the
stage he is boring. C

>WRAPUP

Not a good show over all. Hopefully, Paris will go home. She is not
ready for Prime Time. Katharine or Taylor should be in the bottom two
along with her. This could be an all guy final. If Katharine goes home
this week or next, Chris will win. I don't see Elliott knocking him
off, but Elliott is my favorite. If Taylor wins and is the American
Idol, there will be misery in AI headquarters. How do you sell an spaz
act on radio time? It's just not MTV videos, it is in radio play
lists. The plot thickens.

Woof Ridge

May 3, 2006, 7:05:59 AM5/3/06
In article <7EW5g.72070$H71....@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>,
mickey_a...@nomorephishsbcglobal.net says...

> (I sometime wonder if they are playing to click
> track.)

<kellie> What's a click track? </kellie>

Woof

Jamey Dickey

May 3, 2006, 8:09:14 AM5/3/06
Tosh, nuttin' but luv for ya, but did you just say Chris's wife was hot?
Ewww.

Oh, and as for your favorite lists....all of them were your faves?

huwg...@my-deja.com

May 3, 2006, 8:43:35 AM5/3/06

Mickey wrote:
> Itoshi wrote:
>
> > This thread is offered as a convenient place for participants of this
> > newsgroup to post their recaps, observations, and opinions of tonight's
> > "American Idol" broadcast.
> >
> > Finals: Week 8 Performances, broadcast on 5/2/2006
> >
> > PRELIMINARIES
> >
> > PERFORMANCES
> >
> > Elliott Yamin - "On Broadway"
>
> Not a bad song choice for Elliot, but the song is inherantly cool,
> without a lot of opportunity to show the sort of stuff that garners many
> AI votes. His attempt to juice it up at the end with some runs was not
> altogether convincing, certainly out of character with the rest of the
> song.

Not particularly great, but he does pick great and challenging songs.
He's got good taste, this Elliot character.

> > Paris Bennett - "Kiss"
>
> Chris is not the only one showing some signs of vocal fatique. The less
> said the better. Paris has a lot of talent, but musically she is still
> very young and really hasn't yet developed any personal taste or sense
> of the material she is performing.
>

> > Chris Daughtry - "Renegade" (I think)
>
> Intensity he exudes. Musically interesting singing he doesn't. This
> performance is about as subtle as brick up side the head and just about
> as entertaining.
>

> > Katharine McPhee - "Against All Odds"
>
> A train wreck of sorts, but not quite the Pickleresque pile up posters
> in earlier time zones suggested. Borrowing a line from "Struther Martin
> in Cool Hand Luke, "what we've got here is a failure to communicate." I
> got the impression Kat wanted to push the tempo forward and the band
> just would not budge. (I sometime wonder if they are playing to click
> track.)

I'm convinced that they're playing to a click. This and the Pickler
performance proved it to me. But if someone wants to become a
professional singer these days, then they better learn to sing with a
click, so it is no excuse.

> After her comment that she thought she was having some problem
> hearing, I started to wonder if the problem might have been mutual,
> i.e., the band not hearing her either. We'll probably never know. Not a
> great vocal, but I've heard worse get praise or at least an a'ight.

It was the worst she has been so far - the first time I have thought
she gave a bad performance.

> > Taylor Hicks - "Play That Funky Music, White Boy"
>
> Very entertaining. Simon may not get it, but I think a lot of folk do.
> Taylor is not a great singer, but he knows how to play to his crowd,
> which he did well, tonight.
>

> > Elliott Yamin - "Home" (?)
>
> I was disappointed. Although I'm not familiar with this song, it seemed
> to me that Elliot misread the lyric. I don't mean his missed any words.
> I mean his phrasing was off, as if he had learned the song phonetically
> and didn't really know what it meant. I will go back and listen again,
> later, but I came away from the performance with the impression that
> this song was much more interesting than Elliot made it seem.
>

> > Paris Bennett - "Be With You"
>
> Talent, but it's all mimicry. Good luck, Paris. Go find yourself.
>

> > Chris Daughtry - "I Dare You"
>
> Singing an under three minute song five times should not cause the edema
> of the vocal folds that was obvious in Chris's speaking voice after this
> piece. He has some profound vocal faults that need to be addressed
> before he considers a fulltime career in singing. It is quite possible
> that one short performance (two songs) every few days is the present
> sustainable limit of his voice without doing serious and potentiall
> permanent damage to the mechanism.

Terrible. He's not going to able to make any kind of a career like
this. A rock singer has to be able to work for 2 hours, 5-6 nights a
week when they're on tour. There's no way he can do this. For his voice
to collapse after 10 minutes probably means that he has genetic
weaknesses as well as extremely poor technique - I wouldn't have
thought that one or the other would be enough.

This guy is embarassing. I am having real trouble understanding what
anyone sees in him. Better rock singers are a dime a dozen, and I don't
buy the intensity. He's up there with fake fire in the background, for
god's sake! I expected to hear Beavis and Butthead start shouting
"Fire! Fire!" in the background. Everything about it is so 90's.

> > Katharine McPhee - ?
>
> Charming piece. Getting down with the drummers was probably a good thing
> after the communication problems in her previous piece. Not a great song
> or a stellar performance, but it did show some personality and a
> willingness to have a little fun.

A lot better. Hope it keeps her around.

> > Taylor Hicks - "Something"
>
> This started out rough and never quite got on track. BUT, I was very
> impressed with Taylor's intensity and effort to make the lyrics real, as
> if the thought were just occuring to him. In places, he showed some very
> nice vocal acting.

I thought that this was very good. Taylor doesn't have much of a voice,
but he understands music and he understands performance. As you say, he
connected with the lyrics and conveyed the meaning of the song very
well. I thought that he had the best night of any of them overall, and
I'm surprised to hear myself say that.

stnkly

May 3, 2006, 8:47:13 AM5/3/06
and here's one itoshi should have used last night: CLAW (cackled like
a witch). Paula made the most excruciating ho-like noise I've ever
heard early on in the show. Quite disturbing.

Another 4 letter acronyms that could be frequently used:

SCBA - Simon cant be arsed (to make any worthwhile comments despite his
7-figure pay packet)

Itoshi

May 3, 2006, 9:26:12 AM5/3/06
On Wed, 03 May 2006 12:09:14 GMT, "Jamey Dickey"
<jdic...@midsouth.rr.com> wrote:

>Tosh, nuttin' but luv for ya, but did you just say Chris's wife was hot?
>Ewww.

I'm pretty sure the hot babe they've shown a few times clapping for him is
his wife. No?

>Oh, and as for your favorite lists....all of them were your faves?

Most favorite to least favorite ... top to bottom.

Itoshi

May 3, 2006, 9:31:32 AM5/3/06
On 3 May 2006 05:43:35 -0700, huwg...@my-deja.com wrote:

>Mickey wrote:
>> A train wreck of sorts, but not quite the Pickleresque pile up posters
>> in earlier time zones suggested. Borrowing a line from "Struther Martin
>> in Cool Hand Luke, "what we've got here is a failure to communicate." I
>> got the impression Kat wanted to push the tempo forward and the band
>> just would not budge. (I sometime wonder if they are playing to click
>> track.)
>
>I'm convinced that they're playing to a click. This and the Pickler
>performance proved it to me. But if someone wants to become a
>professional singer these days, then they better learn to sing with a
>click, so it is no excuse.

The band has no conductor, right?

Patrick

May 3, 2006, 10:07:05 AM5/3/06

"-Calliope-" <calliope...@removegmail.com> wrote in message

> On Tue 02 May 2006 11:14:51p, WhansaMi wrote:
>
>> Ratings:
>> Chris 10/10 for first song, 6/10 for second: total 16/20
>> Paris 8/10 for first song, 7 for second: total 15/20
>> Taylor: 6/10 first song, 7/10 for second: total 14/20
>> Elliott 6/10 first song, 8/10 second song: total 14/20
>> Katherine 3/10 first song, 8/10 for second: total 11/20
>

> 1)Taylor,
> Grinned from ear to ear with his first song, just loved every single thing
> about it, but the floor..

I see what you're saying, but it could have been a brilliant move. Most
people love when the contestants do things out of the ordinary, like fall on
the floor, and I bet that solidified a few more votes for Taylor.

callen...@yahoo.com

May 3, 2006, 10:32:31 AM5/3/06
Itoshi wrote:
> This thread is offered as a convenient place for participants of this
> newsgroup to post their recaps, observations, and opinions of tonight's
> "American Idol" broadcast.
>
> Finals: Week 8 Performances, broadcast on 5/2/2006
>
> PRELIMINARIES
>
> PERFORMANCES
>
> Elliott Yamin - "On Broadway"

I don't know; I guess I'm going to channel Randy here. I just wasn't
feeling it, dude. Elliott's got a lovely voice and all, but this just
seem over-stylized and forced. I'm worried.

> Paris Bennett - "Kiss"

I just don't care about anything Paris does. I have to say that when
she stood there after the performance repeating "ten q, ten q, ten q"
over and over, no matter what the judges said, I wanted to jump into my
tv set and smack her.

> Chris Daughtry - "Renegade" (I think)

Loved it! Cheesy, melodramatic late '70s early '80s power ballad!
Loved it!

> Katharine McPhee - "Against All Odds"

This was by far the worst performance by any of the top 10 with the
exception of Kellie Pickler. Terrible, terrible, terrible.

> Taylor Hicks - "Play That Funky Music, White Boy"

I was worried when I heard that he was going to sing this but then I
realized it could be really cool. And it was! Loved it. Love the
dancing, love the shirt, everything about it.

> Elliott Yamin - "Home" (?)

Ahh, Elliott. Beautiful voice, very boring. I love you, and I'm
worried about you. Lucky for you Katharine sucked so bad on AAO.

> Paris Bennett - "Be With You"

See above re: Paris and Callen

> Chris Daughtry - "I Dare You"

I actually know this song! I've made peace with the fact that Chris is
going to do screaming rock whenever he can, and while I might not love
this jondra of music, I think Chris does a good job with it. He needs
a good vocal coach to teach him how to sing without shredding his vocal
chords, though.

> Katharine McPhee - ?

Black Horse and the Cherry Tree. Much better than the first song - but
how could it not be - but pretty bland, actually. And sitting on the
floor just seemed weird, not sexy or folky or whatever she was trying
to achieve. I see she inherited the Kellie Pickler turquoise satin
slut shirt when Kellie left.

> Taylor Hicks - "Something"

OMG, in a good way. My Taylor love is completely, totally, back.

> WRAPUP

1. Taylor
2. Chris
3. Elliott
4. Katharine
5. Paris

Bottom two: Kat and Paris, with Paris going home
possible surprise: Elliott

Callen in VA

Mickey

May 3, 2006, 11:46:59 AM5/3/06

When you need to synchronize a live musical performance to prerecorded
material or complex computer controlled lighting and stage effects, you
can do this by feeding the "click" (a metronome beat) into the live
band's headphones, although frequently it is just sent to the leader and
traps player. If the live players follow the click, everything usually
ends up syncronized. Unfortunately, this doesn't permit the performers
to respond to the energy of the moment and deviate from the
predetermined tempo. I don't think this is what happened to Kat last
night. That seems to have been a failure to get her vocal line at the
proper level in the monitor mix. This is very disconcerting, since you
don't know if the audience or the band can hear you. Headliners have
been known to stop dead when this happens or even give directions to the
engineers during the song. (Point to ear, point to throat, point up.)

The Other Mickey

Mickey

May 3, 2006, 12:03:37 PM5/3/06
huwg...@my-deja.com wrote:

On reviewing the show, I don't think it was a click problem, nor do I
think they were playing to click on this number last night (no reason
to). The more likely problem was a monitor mix failure. Yes, one need
to learn how to deal with it, but these are not yet seasoned pros.
Ironically, the engineers on this show, who supposedly are pro, screw up
routinely.

>>After her comment that she thought she was having some problem
>>hearing, I started to wonder if the problem might have been mutual,
>>i.e., the band not hearing her either. We'll probably never know. Not a
>>great vocal, but I've heard worse get praise or at least an a'ight.
>

> It was the worst she has been so far - the first time I have thought
> she gave a bad performance.

Did it make you suspect another equipment failure, only this week sound
rather than costume?

No, bad technique is sufficient. What he's doing is similar to trying to
pull a loaded full-sized trailer over a mountain grade with an VW bug.
You may get a few miles up the road, but it's only a short matter of
time before you smoke the bug.

> This guy is embarassing. I am having real trouble understanding what
> anyone sees in him. Better rock singers are a dime a dozen, and I don't
> buy the intensity. He's up there with fake fire in the background, for
> god's sake! I expected to hear Beavis and Butthead start shouting
> "Fire! Fire!" in the background. Everything about it is so 90's.
>

>>>Katharine McPhee - ?
>>
>>Charming piece. Getting down with the drummers was probably a good thing
>>after the communication problems in her previous piece. Not a great song
>>or a stellar performance, but it did show some personality and a
>>willingness to have a little fun.
>

> A lot better. Hope it keeps her around.
>

>>>Taylor Hicks - "Something"
>>
>>This started out rough and never quite got on track. BUT, I was very
>>impressed with Taylor's intensity and effort to make the lyrics real, as
>>if the thought were just occuring to him. In places, he showed some very
>>nice vocal acting.
>

> I thought that this was very good. Taylor doesn't have much of a voice,
> but he understands music and he understands performance. As you say, he
> connected with the lyrics and conveyed the meaning of the song very
> well. I thought that he had the best night of any of them overall, and
> I'm surprised to hear myself say that.

I don't have any opinion on your surprise, but I agree with your
assessment of Taylor's evening.

The Other Mickey

Mickey

May 3, 2006, 12:10:33 PM5/3/06
Itoshi wrote:

The music director, probably playing keyboards, can change the tempo
(play with one hand, conduct with the other), but he has to be able to
hear the singer to do so. Actually, a good band, and this is a good
band, will follow a singer with no intervention by the director,
provided they can hear him or her. Now that I think about it, in one of
Kat's first performances with the band, the tempo was off at the
beginning, but she held her ground and the band quickly adjusted to the
tempo she wanted.

The Other Mickey

Vandar

May 3, 2006, 12:12:00 PM5/3/06
Woof Ridge wrote:

It's the sound a train makes as it's going by. Next time a train is
approaching, put your head down on the track and listen to the clicks
for as long as you can. If you hear a loud horn or whistle, just ignore
it and keep listening to the "click track". It will give you an
understanding of music very few people ever get. <evil grin>

Jamie

May 3, 2006, 12:17:43 PM5/3/06

<callen...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Frankly, I'm not much impressed by any of them. Favorite voice Elliot,
favorite performer Taylor.
Personal favorites from previous seasons: AI1 didn't watch, AI2
Clay/Kimberly, AI3 LaToya as best I can remember, AI4 Nadia. All-time
favorite Clay!

American Idol Team

May 3, 2006, 12:34:25 PM5/3/06
On Tue, 2 May 2006 20:45:49 -0600, "Suzanne D." <sdal...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
you give good review.....

karenftx

May 9, 2006, 5:11:07 PM5/9/06

"Patrick" <pat...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

Don't forget CSM&L = cue scary music and lights

Patrick

May 9, 2006, 11:50:31 PM5/9/06

"karenftx" <kayla...@satx.rr.com> wrote in message

Oh, yeah, forgot about that one.