Dark Glass - From the Inside

DiTillio

Aug 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/10/98
Leme try and get all the facts straight about Christy Marx's script "Dark
Glass" so those with too much leisure time on their hands can go on to other
things...

Yes, the Script was canned. A first draft had been written and then rewritten
by me. This is only the second time this has happened on "Beast Wars"... (The
first was Katherine Lawrence's script "The Greater Ape", which was shelved
because Mainframe simply felt they couldn't produce it - too much new
modeling)...

Dark Glass was not canned because of too much sex or violence, it was simply
considered by Hasbro to be too grim a show for kids. I disagreed, but lost.
Bob Forward will write a replacement script for it.

I cannot tell you anything about the plot because it would reveal a major plot
development in season 3.

Now to squelch another rumor - the show never got beyond first draft, nothing
was recorded, nothing animated. There will therefore be no special video
release nor will it be shown at a BotCon. There is NOTHING to show. And if
anyone thinks Hasbro is gonna pony up considerable bucks to produce a show they
canned, then you have no idea how the world really works...

Will I post the script? - NO. I didn't post the script for "The Greater Ape"
and I won't post "Dark Glass" either. Neither of these scripts have been
produced and therefore are not part of the show.

One last point - some posters are claiming "this is a really good show" and
frankly I don't know how they came to such a conclusion without ever having
seen it, in any form. My opinion is that it could have been a good show, maybe
even a great one, but since it's never going to be made, that's a moot point.
It was decidely grim and that was Habro's objection. Of course Hasbro had seen
both the premise and the story before the script was ever written so they
should have made the call then, since it was obvious there was only one
direction to take this story in. But they didn't and that too is blood under
the bridge.

E-mailing Hasbro, calling them names etc. will not help anyone in this matter.
The decision is made, life goes on.

The horse is dead, you can stop beating it now...

Larry DiTillio
Executive Story Editor -Beast Wars

:-|

Aug 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/10/98
I just have one question, does the new script follow a similar plot line
as the original, or is it completely different?
--
He who laughs last, had to have it explained

:-|

msi...@ibm.net

Aug 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/10/98
Finback wrote:

> On 10 Aug 1998, DiTillio wrote:
>
> > Leme try and get all the facts straight about Christy Marx's script "Dark
> > Glass" so those with too much leisure time on their hands can go on to other
> > things...
> [snip!]
> There we have it folks, the official word. Now some of you can
> sleep easier :)

> > The horse is dead, you can stop beating it now...
> Yep... now we start _eating_ it :) Yum!
>
> I call dibs on the fetlocks! Who wants a pizzle?

Are you kidding? At this point the horse is a fine paste.

M "A Few More Days And It'd Be A Powder" Sipher

Finback

Aug 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/11/98
On 10 Aug 1998, DiTillio wrote:

> Leme try and get all the facts straight about Christy Marx's script "Dark
> Glass" so those with too much leisure time on their hands can go on to other
> things...
[snip!]
There we have it folks, the official word. Now some of you can
sleep easier :)

> The horse is dead, you can stop beating it now...
Yep... now we start _eating_ it :) Yum!

I call dibs on the fetlocks! Who wants a pizzle?

+-------------------------------------+-------------------------+
| Marcus Good aka "Finback" | "That which is not dead |
| eg...@cc.curtin.edu.au | can eternal lie, |
| http://student.curtin.edu.au/~egood | And with strange aeons |
+-------------------------------------+ even death may die." |
| G+++ FR FW M+(1) #58 D++ ADA N+++ | -- HP Lovecraft, |
| W++ B+++ OQP BC MU- OM+ P171 | "Call of Cthulhu". |

Pha

Aug 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/11/98
On Tue, 11 Aug 1998 09:09:41 +0800, Finback <eg...@cc.curtin.edu.au>
wrote:

>> The horse is dead, you can stop beating it now...
> Yep... now we start _eating_ it :) Yum!
>
>I call dibs on the fetlocks! Who wants a pizzle?

A pity... he was such a handsome fellow... quite tasty too %^)

-Phalanx

****
One-woman Prowl defense set: Phalanx@{bleah}Cyberhighway.net
no assembly required.
visit my Prowl Shrine! (yeah, and my TF page)
www.fortunecity.com/rivendell/zelda/111
Time magazine just voted Prowl the Sexiest Man Alive.
Are you missing something?
and for the spam-bots: pres...@whitehouse.gov
vicepr...@whitehouse.gov
ab...@Cyberhighway.net
postm...@Cyberhighway.net

LrdJhiaxus

Aug 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/11/98
In article <199808102315...@ladder03.news.aol.com>, diti...@aol.com
(DiTillio) writes:

>The horse is dead, you can stop beating it now...

It would be strange if somehow, ten years down the road, if we actually found
the premise for Dark Glass on some other show, and didn't know it.
~Jhaixus Out~ BZZT!
"Beware of Geeks bearing Gifts. Wait, that's not right..."
Http://members.aol.com/lrdjhiaxus/
Swindle on TF 2005.
#Transfiction@DALNet for all your writing needs.

Finback

Aug 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/11/98
On Mon, 10 Aug 1998 msi...@ibm.net wrote:

> Are you kidding? At this point the horse is a fine paste.

Oh.... anyone for a pasta dish?

DiTillio

Aug 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/11/98
>I just have one question, does the new script follow a similar plot line
>as the original, or is it completely different?

The new script is completrely different, it has nothing to do with the original
story or script at all...

Larry DiTillio
Story Editor - Beast Wars

DiTillio

Aug 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/12/98
>>I cannot tell you anything about the plot because it would reveal a major
>plot
>>development in season 3.
>
>Perhaps this might be asking too much, but has this "major plot
>development" been carried over into the new script or was this plot
>development part of the reason for the script being dubbed "too dark"?
>I'm not really asking for specifics, I'm just curious if the plot line
>for Season III is going to be altered significantly due to the canning
>of the 'Dark Glass' script.

The answer to your questions are No and No.

It's not that the plot development happened in "Dark Glass", it's simply that
Dark Glass used the development in the storyline. But the demise of the script
will not change Season 3's overall plotline..

Keldroc

Aug 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/14/98
DiTillio wrote:

>It's not that the plot development happened in "Dark Glass", it's simply that
>Dark Glass used the development in the storyline. But the demise of the
script
>will not change Season 3's overall plotline..

So, after Season 3 is in full-swing and the point in the run at which "Dark
Glass" would have aired is behind us, will we get any information on it? I'm
not asking to see the script or any absurdities like that, but I just want to
know if we'll ever know what the story was about, etc, when it's no longer a
Season 3 spoiler....

~Keldroc
_________
"Scully, let me tell you, you haven't seen America 'til you've
seen it from a train." - Fox Mulder, "731"

"He's a smirker! Mangle!" - Scorponok, "Dark Designs"

Robotech_Master

Aug 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/14/98
On 12 Aug 1998 20:43:35 GMT, DiTillio <diti...@aol.com> wrote:

> It's not that the plot development happened in "Dark Glass", it's
> simply that Dark Glass used the development in the storyline. But
> the demise of the script will not change Season 3's overall
> plotline..

Ah, so it was a "side-story" episode, like "Transmutate," rather than
a plot-critical episode? Well, I guess it's not as bad as it could
have been, at least...
--
Chris Meadows aka | Co-moderator, rec.toys.transformers.moderated
Robotech_Master | Homepage: <URL:http://www.eyrie.org/~robotech/>

the Harper

Aug 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/15/98
> So, after Season 3 is in full-swing and the point in the run at which "Dark
> Glass" would have aired is behind us, will we get any information on it? I'm
> not asking to see the script or any absurdities like that, but I just want to
> know if we'll ever know what the story was about, etc, when it's no longer a
> Season 3 spoiler....

Here's an idea (albeit a totally ludicrous one, but then, what would you
expect from me? ^_^)...

The script made it to first draft. It was cancelled NOT due to quality, NOT
because it had too many animation requirements... but because HasKen
wouldn't fund it...

So...

What if (uh-oh, here it comes!...) WE funded it. Episodes aren't cheap, but
if we ALL got together (we'll let Benson handle the funds, since he's on
the inside anyway), we could gather the money to produce the episode. It
won't make it to television, but it could be released on video as a "lost
episode" or something, either for the next big TF anniversary, or for the
BW 5 year anniversary...

It would take about that long to gather the funds, and since it'll be a
collector's item and won't be a part of the actual "children's show",
HasKen shouldn't object... after all, it won't be their money, would it?
And it'll be a show of force/loyalty/devotion/whatever on the part of all
of us older Transfans to say to them "hey! we love the show, and we're
backing it 100%"...

::ahem::

Gotta stop before people discover I'm really some insane looney and don't
just play one on TV...

::steps off of pedistol::

the Harper

JSwiftFeet

Aug 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/15/98
Flame me if you like, but I think this is a dumb, and highly improbable idea.

Joona I Palaste

Aug 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/15/98
JSwiftFeet <jswif...@aol.com> scribbled the following:
: Flame me if you like, but I think this is a dumb, and highly improbable idea.

I second that. There are, what, a few hundred Transfans? Episodes cost
close to a million dollars. That would make almost ten thousand per
capita, much more than I'd be prepared to pay.

--
/----------------------------------------------------------------------\
| Joona Palaste (pal...@cc.helsinki.fi) | | | |

Docteur Ü

Aug 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/15/98

Well, I think this is quite sad that Hasken canned the episode. It was the
episode of season 3 I was looking forward the most to watch since Transmutate is
my favorite Beast Wars episode. I always liked Christy Marx work from Spiderman
and friends to Captain Power and yes, even Jem! I think that her work is
intelligent and that there is always something that adults might like.

I do understand that this is a business of selling toys and such but I cannot
help thinking Who are they to tell whats good for kids,
of course, they do make the toys...

That's the problem with well most of the shows on TV, when there is something the
"masses" might not understand it get's canned. At least we got lucky with Reboot
3 (probably because the money came from the government) seeing Season 2 of Beast
Wars also got my hopes up.

This is a bad news (in a really bad way if you think about it), but hopefully
season 3 will be as great as season 2 (or even better).

And I do think we are lucky to have such inside information. We have a better
idea how it works...
(And I really hope Christy Marx will still write for Beast Wars in the future)

Docteur Ü

the Harper

Aug 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/17/98
> I second that. There are, what, a few hundred Transfans? Episodes cost
> close to a million dollars. That would make almost ten thousand per
> capita, much more than I'd be prepared to pay.

Well, I DID warn you it was kinda "out there"...

However, there are more than "a few hundred" Transfans out there, and I
never limited donations to the Over '50s club...

Is kinda like all fund-raised things... you can't look at a room and say
"that's everyone who cares"... you have to go out there and ASK... That's
why they created polls and things...

Still, even if nobody wants to see the episode (other than me), there's
always the (VERY) minute chance that we'll get to see the script someday...

Bogus88

Aug 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/28/98
Good God, I hope someoneposts the script on the net, since I won't be going :-(

MIB141 wrote:

> Note to Trasfans
>
> Next week at Transcon III Everyone who attends will receive a reproduction
> autographed script of "Dark Glass" This will be a fully unedited script signed
> and donated by Christy Marx
>
> they will be numbered and handed out 1 per person to all convention attendees
>
> The original script will then be auctioned off in the Toys 4 Tots Charity
> Auction Saturday evening.
>
> You won't want to miss this one Transfans
>
> For Convention Info call 734-483-8697
>
> For Hotel Info call 1-800-333-3333 and ask for the Men In Black Convention Rate
>
> Special Guest Tyrone Keyes
> One of the Creators of Beast Wars
> Senoir Design Director Hasbro Toy Group
>
> Also signed scripts available for "The Agenda" Part Three by Bob Forword
>
> and Tons of great items in our charity auction
>
> Thanks
> Men In Black
> Transcon III
> Sept 5th and 6th
> Toledo Ohio
> Seagate Centre

MIB141

Aug 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/29/98

Kurichan21

Aug 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/29/98

Doesn't this just go against everything that Larry was talking about...keeping
everything under wraps so there wouldn't be in leaks?

kurichan

Blue-Jackal

Aug 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/29/98
In article <35E616B6...@mediaone.net>, Bogus88
<dut...@mediaone.net> writes

>Good God, I hope someoneposts the script on the net,

But with a spoiler space or there will be hell to pay<g>
--
Blue-Jackal

"As I preducted!"
Breakdown - (Masquerade)

Remove 123 from reply addy to contact me