Secrets of "Heavy Metal War"'s Original Script!

Chris McFeely

Oct 11, 2004, 4:25:58 PM10/11/04
Just a couple of interesting bits from "Heavy Metal War" this time
around...

Before Megatron arrives to issue his challenge to Optimus Prime, an
entire scene is dropped in which Wheeljack demonstrates his latest
modifications to the Dinobots. And away we go:

Optimus Prime: You've got us curious, Wheeljack. What's your big
surprise? And what does it have to do with - the Dinobots?

Wheeljack: Well, Optimus Prime, fellow Autobots, human friends Spike,
Sparkplug and Chip...

Ironhide: Oh, get on with it, Wheeljack! You take long to say
something than a mechano-mouth with the glitch!

Wheeljack: Um, yes! As you know, the Dinobots have always been
unpredictable... kind of clumsy sometimes. But I've been reprogramming
them, so just watch!

Slag: (FIRE BREATH)

Grimlock: (SNIF SNIF SNIF! CHOMP! CONSUME!)

Ironhide: Big deal! So now we got us a Dinobot baseball team that eats
the ball!

Goodness knows what the Dinobots actually DID in this scene, of
course.

Megatron's address to Optimus is clipped in the final episode. From
when he says "Decepticons fighting Autobots," this is removed...

Megatron: ...with no end or victory in sight.

Optimus Prime: A sad but unavoidable truth so long as you seek to
dominate the universe.

Megatron: But Cybertron Law may provide a solution to our seeming
dilemma. I refer to the age old code of combat...

...and then the finished episode picks up from here with "in which
opposing leaders..."

After Scrapper tells "Scrounge" to be careful, a VERY interesting line
comes up. Now, some may recall an old TF kids' book, in which Long
Haul was called "Gravedigger." Well, after the "Scrounge" line,
Scavenger replies: "Gravedigger - I'm picking up computer signals from
above!" But why would he report this to Long Haul? Perhaps it was
Scrapper who was intended to have this name all along!

Megatron originally used Soundwave's mind-reading powers to scan
Optimus Prime's thoughts during the battle (just before using
Reflector and Thundercracker's powers). It doesn't say what he
specifically learns, as he just exclaims (I presume he thinks it or
says it to himself): "Prime's thoughts! Just like Soundwave!" I guess
he learned what way Prime was going to attack next.

Original, the script called for Devastator to have a: "booming voice
comprised of the voices of all six individual Constructicons speaking
together." I think that would have been a little hard to achieve. :)

Chris

David Minter

Oct 11, 2004, 9:10:26 PM10/11/04
ma...@troy49.freeserve.co.uk (Chris McFeely) wrote:

>Original, the script called for Devastator to have a: "booming voice
>comprised of the voices of all six individual Constructicons speaking
>together." I think that would have been a little hard to achieve. :)

Well, using all the different actors might have been. But, just
have Burghardt read it 6 different ways or one way and change the tone
in post, whatever. After all, the effect works well with Roy Skelton
as the Emperor Dalek in The Evil Of The Daleks. :>

SicCoyote

Oct 12, 2004, 9:22:27 AM10/12/04
& they thought we'd never notice that they cut out the middle of
Megatrons speach, I always thought he'd skipped a line of the script.

SicCoyote

Oct 12, 2004, 9:22:07 AM10/12/04

Ethan Hammond

Oct 13, 2004, 5:05:27 AM10/13/04
"Chris McFeely" <ma...@troy49.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

>Megatron: But Cybertron Law may provide a solution to our seeming
> dilemma. I refer to the age old code of combat...
>
> ...and then the finished episode picks up from here with "in which
> opposing leaders..."

Actually, I never noticed that the speech was cut.

> Megatron originally used Soundwave's mind-reading powers to scan
> Optimus Prime's thoughts during the battle (just before using
> Reflector and Thundercracker's powers). It doesn't say what he
> specifically learns, as he just exclaims (I presume he thinks it or
> says it to himself): "Prime's thoughts! Just like Soundwave!" I guess
> he learned what way Prime was going to attack next.

I wish they had left that in, just because Soundwave never got to use
his power in the cartoon.

> Original, the script called for Devastator to have a: "booming voice
> comprised of the voices of all six individual Constructicons speaking
> together." I think that would have been a little hard to achieve. :)

I guess if you had all six voice actors speak at once, but it would have
been pretty weird. Although that is kind of how they handled the masters in
Rebirth.

--
All Purpose Cultural Randomness
http://www.angelfire.com/tx/apcr/index.html

Kil - Michael McCarthy

Oct 13, 2004, 1:59:17 PM10/13/04
Ethan Hammond wrote...

>I wish they had left that in, just because Soundwave never got to use
>his power in the cartoon.

Soundwave read the Dinobots' minds in "War of the Dinobots."

>> Original, the script called for Devastator to have a: "booming voice
>> comprised of the voices of all six individual Constructicons speaking
>> together." I think that would have been a little hard to achieve. :)
>
>I guess if you had all six voice actors speak at once, but it would have
>been pretty weird. Although that is kind of how they handled the masters in
>Rebirth

What? No it isn't. The Transformers and their -Master partners had their own
voices, there were never two actors speaking simultaneously.

-Kil
----
Michael "Kil" McCarthy
The Kil File - http://hometown.aol.com/michaelmcc79/index.html
"An object at rest cannot be stopped!!!!"
-The Evil Midnight Bomber What Bombs At Midnight

Ethan Hammond

Oct 14, 2004, 4:40:36 AM10/14/04
"Kil - Michael McCarthy" <michae...@aol.commscout1> wrote in message

> >I wish they had left that in, just because Soundwave never got to use
> >his power in the cartoon.
>
> Soundwave read the Dinobots' minds in "War of the Dinobots."

I guess I have to watch it again for that.

> >I guess if you had all six voice actors speak at once, but it would have
> >been pretty weird. Although that is kind of how they handled the masters
in
> >Rebirth
>
> What? No it isn't. The Transformers and their -Master partners had their
own
> voices, there were never two actors speaking simultaneously.

Well fine, maybe not in the cartoon after all, but in issue #79 of the
comic. Spike and Fort Max have a moment like that.