Secrets of Fight or Flee's original script!

Chris McFeely

May 7, 2005, 6:09:47 PM5/7/05
I've been meaning to study THIS script closely, but I never got
around to it until now. The reason for this is that it is unique among
all the scripts on the R2 DVDs - it is NOT simply the dialogue script
used in recording, but is the full, directed and annotated script of
the episode.

First note to make is that this episode was originally titled "Fight
or Die." Although even at this point, Rodimus Prime still says
"Fight or flee" when talking to the Paradronians.

And speaking of them - yeah, the planet is named Paradron, not
Paratron (although there've been a few toys to confirm that spelling
by now, I think it's worth pointing out, just the same).

When watching "Fight or Flee" recently, I noticed an odd spot in
the episode where the jail Sandstorm is incarcerated in appears to be
surrounded by some greenery. Well, there's a Story Editor's note
attached to this script that helps to explain that a bit - "It
appears that the writers were unaware that everything on Cybertron is
mechanical. Therefore, they have included references to mountains and
valleys and rivers, etc. I have tried to take them out wherever
possible."

What have been called "Paradron Medics" in the toyline are called
"Autobot Nurses" in the script (yep, capitalised like that, too).

The uniquely-designed Autobot who runs the communications room has no
name, but is identified as "Communication Autobot." A note suggests
that he is a "Primitive Blaster," but clearly the designers
didn't shoot for anything resembling him.

There's an entire sub-plot cut out of this episodes about
Galvatron's greater purpose behind invading Paradon. He does not
simply desire the Energon there - in a story concept that would pave
the way for "Carnage in C-Minor" and "The Rebirth," Galvatron
plans to outfit Paradon with planetary engines, to turn it into a
mobile weapon. Here's the first scene about this:

- - -

Two huge ion thrusters capable of moving the entire planet at
incredible speeds rise above the doomed capital.

ANGLE ON GALVATRON

Galvatron stands on top of an 800 foot tower that looms over the new
Decepticon city. Hundreds of speakers are attached to the scaffolding
facing in all directions.

SCIENTIST (VO)
With these thrusters, the entire planet will be able to move.

Galvatron shakes his fist to the thousands of Autobot slaves below him
who appear no larger than an army of ants.

GALVATRON
Work, slaves! Hail the Decepticon Empire!

ANGLE ON CONTROL PANEL

Galvatron takes a hold of two huge switches mounted on a panel next to
him and presses them forward.

ANGLE ON CROWD

The planet of Paradron begins to tremble beneath their feet.

ANGLE ON THRUSTERS

Both of the massive ion thrusters begin to emit a thunderous blast of
fire and smoke that reaches deep into space...

ANGLE ON PARADON

The entire planet begins to move.

ANGLE ON THRUSTERS

Suddenly, the right thruster has an enormously interior explosion and
sputters to a stop.

ANGLE ON PARADRON

The planet starts to unevenly turn to the right powered only by the
single thruster.

GALVATRON
You fools!

Galvatron quickly flips both switches off and looks down at an Autobot
scientist (maybe a proto-Perceptor) on a platform below him.

C.U. ON THE SCIENTIST'S FACE

He trembles.

SCIENTIST
There are so many computations and complications, I must have made a
wrong one somewhere. You do not know what it is to be a scientist.

ON GALVATRON

He does not suffer fools gladly.

GALVATRON
Nor do I want to! I do not bore you with the problems of ruling
galaxies - please extend the same courtesy to me!

C. U. ON GALVATRON
A cold, ruthless stare burns from his sockets.

GALVATRON
I want results, not excuses.

- - -

And the next...

- - -

EXT. 500 FOOT TOWER - PARADRON

Galvatron is enraged with Scourge and lifts him by the scruff of his
neck. This is particularly funny, because Scourge is larger than he is.

(Chris's note - um, is he? I don't think so...)

GALVATRON
What do you mean, they escaped?

SCOURGE
Well...

Suddenly, they are interrupted by the scientist.

SCIENTIST
Excuse me, but I think the invention works now.

ON GALVATRON

He lets go of Scourge, then flips the huge switches. This time the ion
thrusters works perfectly.

GALVATRON
It worked perfectly.

THE ION THRUSTERS start to shake, vibrating the entire planet.

ON GALVATRON IN THE TOWER

He looks down at the scientist below him on the platform and smiles.

GALVATRON
Focus the Energon beams on the moon... we need a little target practise
before we make our final move on Cybertron!

SCIENTIST
(PROUDLY) Yes sir!

- - -

You all know that infamous line... "Okay, give me the bomb!"
Originally, Ultra Magnus was to say the slightly less twisted "Give
me the bag, quick."

Aaaand that's everything. Just thought that sub-plot was pretty
interesting.

Chris

Kil - Michael McCarthy

May 8, 2005, 4:15:37 AM5/8/05
Chris McFeely wrote:

> When watching "Fight or Flee" recently, I noticed an odd spot in
> the episode where the jail Sandstorm is incarcerated in appears to be
> surrounded by some greenery. Well, there's a Story Editor's note
> attached to this script that helps to explain that a bit - "It
> appears that the writers were unaware that everything on Cybertron is
> mechanical. Therefore, they have included references to mountains and
> valleys and rivers, etc. I have tried to take them out wherever
> possible."

I took the greenery as indication that Paradron was a more Earth-like
planet originally, before the colonists from Cybertron arrived and
cyber-formed most of it.

> What have been called "Paradron Medics" in the toyline are called
> "Autobot Nurses" in the script (yep, capitalised like that, too).

Does it make any specific mention of their resemblance to Arcee?

Awwww. Stupid cuts, I'd've liked to have seen this. : (

> Galvatron is enraged with Scourge and lifts him by the scruff of his
> neck. This is particularly funny, because Scourge is larger than he
is.

> (Chris's note - um, is he? I don't think so...)

Yeah, that's weird.

> GALVATRON
> Focus the Energon beams on the moon...

Energon beams? Who's he think he is, Dr. Jones?

> we need a little target practise
> before we make our final move on Cybertron!
>
> SCIENTIST
> (PROUDLY) Yes sir!

Scientist is a Paradronian, right? And he's proud of that's he helped
build a weapon of mass destruction? Pacifism is only skin deep, I
guess.

> You all know that infamous line... "Okay, give me the bomb!"
> Originally, Ultra Magnus was to say the slightly less twisted "Give
> me the bag, quick."

Now there's a change I think we should all be glad was made. : )

Say, what's the script have to say about that line ("We're picking up
an image, Galvatron.. Galvatron.") where Soundwave seemed to think he
was Shrapnel?

-Kil
-----
The Kil File:
http://hometown.aol.com/michaelmcc79/index.html

Chris McFeely

May 8, 2005, 6:34:42 AM5/8/05
> Does it make any specific mention of their resemblance to Arcee?

Nopes.

> > SCIENTIST
> > (PROUDLY) Yes sir!
>
> Scientist is a Paradronian, right? And he's proud of that's he helped
> build a weapon of mass destruction? Pacifism is only skin deep, I
> guess.

Guess so. ^_^;;

> Say, what's the script have to say about that line ("We're picking up
> an image, Galvatron.. Galvatron.") where Soundwave seemed to think he
> was Shrapnel?

The line is credited as Shrapnel's, and Shrapnel's listed in the cast
of appearing characters at the start of the script.

Chris

Brian Doyle

May 8, 2005, 7:01:53 AM5/8/05
Chris McFeely wrote:
> GALVATRON
> Nor do I want to! I do not bore you with the problems of ruling
> galaxies - please extend the same courtesy to me!

I think I may have found my signature line.... :)

David Willis

May 8, 2005, 11:40:34 AM5/8/05
>> Galvatron is enraged with Scourge and lifts him by the scruff of his
>> neck. This is particularly funny, because Scourge is larger than he
> is.
>>
>> (Chris's note - um, is he? I don't think so...)
>
> Yeah, that's weird.

Cyclonus is, actually, but not Scourge. Weird stuff.

--David
www.itswalky.com
www.shortpacked.com

Kil - Michael McCarthy

May 8, 2005, 2:50:15 PM5/8/05
Chris McFeely wrote...

> > Say, what's the script have to say about that line ("We're picking
up
> > an image, Galvatron.. Galvatron.") where Soundwave seemed to think
he
> > was Shrapnel?
>
> The line is credited as Shrapnel's, and Shrapnel's listed in the cast
> of appearing characters at the start of the script.

Hmmm. Maybe someone eventually realized that Sharpnel shouldn't even
exist anymore and changed the character to Soundwave after the
recording had been made?