New (Possibly) Robot Heroes and More

Zobovor

Jul 15, 2008, 5:48:19 PM7/15/08
Chad's query about future Robot Heroes releases got me curious, so I
poked around in the Wal-Mart computer today and I found some listings
for upcoming toys that I didn't know about. Apologies if this is old
news, but I haven't seen any mention of them here yet.

In addition to the Robot Heroes we already know about (Kickback,
Ironhide, Blaster, Thrust, etc.) there were several pairs listed in
the computer I wasn't aware of. Some of the names were truncated so
their identities are not known to me:

SNARL VS SHARKT
CHEETOR VS TANK
PERCEPTOR VS HA
TIGATRON VS INF
RICOCHET VS PRE
SUPER OP VS RID
PROWL VS LASERB
OPTMS VS JETSTR
VCTRY SABER VS

Let's break this down. Pitting Snarl against a Sharkticon is strange
and comical since Snarl was the only Dinobot who *didn't* encounter
the Sharkticons at any point, but I sure hope these figures match my
mental picture, because in my head they're super-cute. Thylacine 2000
recently confirmed that Cheetor vs. Tankor was a Beast Machines set
announced at BotCon.

Perceptor and his mystery opponent have me baffled; there are only a
handful of characters whose names start with "Ha-" and none of them
seem appropriate. (I'm holding out for the possibility that it's one
of the generic background Decepticon jets, and that they've
appropriated one of the names I assigned them, like Harbinger or
Hailstorm.) I suppose it could be a brand-new character with a name
like Hacksaw, but that wouldn't make sense in the Robot Heroes toy
line. (Han Solo? Harvey Birdman? Hamburglar? Half-Assed Homage?)

Anyway... I wonder if Tigatron vs. Inferno includes a recycled version
of Robot Heroes Cheetor (an accurate version of Tigatron would have a
new head sculpt, but who knows what they'll do). Ricochet seems like
an odd choice (redeco of Jazz?) but if that's Predaking he comes with,
I'll be delighted to no end. Super Optimus vs. RiD Megatron was also
confirmed at BotCon. Prowl vs. Laserbeak will be fun, I think.
Optimus vs. Jetstorm is apparently another Beast Machines set; why are
they wasting time with these when they could be doing figures of
characters who *didn't* get Hasbro toys, like the Diagnostic Drone?
Victory Saber is a surprising choice, but it'll make the Japanese fans
happy. Wonder who he comes with. Deszaras? (Wonder how they'll
romanize his name?)

Here's some other stuff I didn't know about, but I don't know if it's
already been reported elsewhere. The cross-reference for the
Transformers Classics series (Sunstreaker, Prowl, Tankor, etc.) also
includes a listing for DX CHEETOR, DX AUTOBOT, DX CYCLONUS, DX HOT
SHOT, and DX STARSCREA. The Autobot listing is probably short for
Jazz or Hound or somebody, but the non-G1 characters seem like odd
choices. Is Starscream just going to be a repack of the Classics 1.0
toy, or something else?

The Ultra scale assortment (the one that will have Onslaught,
Silverbolt, and Powerglide) also had a cross-reference in the computer
for SCOURGE and somebody called STORM C. What's that short for (Storm
Cloud?), and who's he supposed to be?

The Deluxe scale Animated toys had listings for an ARCEE SLEEK CAR (I
knew an Arcee toy was coming; I just think the description is funny,
like they're going out of their way to point out that she's not a
spider or a motorcycle) and also a TRA ELECTROSTATIC S. That's quite
a mouthful; is that supposed to be a character's name?

The Transformers Crossover series had listings for MVL TRA CRSSOVR
CPT, MVL TRA CRSSOVR HUMA, MVL TRA CRSSOVR WOLV, and MVL TRA CRSSOVR
THIN. The first three are evidently Captain America, Human Torch, and
Wolverine, but who's the fourth one?

Finally, I found the Transformers Universe Legends toys in the system
(and apparently my store's got 24 of them in stock somewhere, but I
haven't seen any of 'em yet). There were listings for Onslaught, Red
Alert, Starscream, Hound, Autobot Jazz, Megatron, Optimus Prime,
Bumblebee, Prowl, Beachcomber, Brawn, Cosmos, Rodimus, Wheelie, and
Warpath. Are these all supposed to be redeco versions of existing
Legends class toys, or are there going to be any designed specifically
to represent the G1 characters? (I can't believe they're doing
another version of Wheelie! That's crazy!) These are going to retail
for only $4.44 so I'm thinking I may end up buying quite a few of
them.

Comments?

Zob

Thunder Magnificent!

Jul 15, 2008, 7:05:19 PM7/15/08
Zobovor wrote:

> The Ultra scale assortment (the one that will have Onslaught,
> Silverbolt, and Powerglide) also had a cross-reference in the computer
> for SCOURGE and somebody called STORM C. What's that short for (Storm
> Cloud?), and who's he supposed to be?

Storm Cloud is recolor of Powerglide, modeled after the old Micromaster
jet toy. Some online toy stores have pics/preorders up already.

t.k.

Kil - Michael McCarthy

Jul 15, 2008, 7:21:57 PM7/15/08
"Zobovor" <zm...@aol.com> wrote in message

> Chad's query about future Robot Heroes releases got me curious, so I
> poked around in the Wal-Mart computer today and I found some listings
> for upcoming toys that I didn't know about. Apologies if this is old
> news, but I haven't seen any mention of them here yet.
>
> In addition to the Robot Heroes we already know about (Kickback,
> Ironhide, Blaster, Thrust, etc.) there were several pairs listed in
> the computer I wasn't aware of. Some of the names were truncated so
> their identities are not known to me:
>
> SNARL VS SHARKT
> CHEETOR VS TANK
> PERCEPTOR VS HA
> TIGATRON VS INF
> RICOCHET VS PRE
> SUPER OP VS RID
> PROWL VS LASERB
> OPTMS VS JETSTR
> VCTRY SABER VS
>
> Let's break this down. Pitting Snarl against a Sharkticon is strange
> and comical since Snarl was the only Dinobot who *didn't* encounter
> the Sharkticons at any point, but I sure hope these figures match my
> mental picture, because in my head they're super-cute.

There's a possibility that this will actually be Slag, renamed Snarl, as the
Animated triceratops was.

> Thylacine 2000
> recently confirmed that Cheetor vs. Tankor was a Beast Machines set
> announced at BotCon.
>
> Perceptor and his mystery opponent have me baffled; there are only a
> handful of characters whose names start with "Ha-" and none of them
> seem appropriate. (I'm holding out for the possibility that it's one
> of the generic background Decepticon jets, and that they've
> appropriated one of the names I assigned them, like Harbinger or
> Hailstorm.) I suppose it could be a brand-new character with a name
> like Hacksaw, but that wouldn't make sense in the Robot Heroes toy
> line. (Han Solo? Harvey Birdman? Hamburglar? Half-Assed Homage?)

Hmmmm... Half-Track? Micromasters have been getting some attention lately.

> Anyway... I wonder if Tigatron vs. Inferno includes a recycled version
> of Robot Heroes Cheetor (an accurate version of Tigatron would have a
> new head sculpt, but who knows what they'll do). Ricochet seems like
> an odd choice (redeco of Jazz?) but if that's Predaking he comes with,
> I'll be delighted to no end. Super Optimus vs. RiD Megatron was also
> confirmed at BotCon. Prowl vs. Laserbeak will be fun, I think.
> Optimus vs. Jetstorm is apparently another Beast Machines set; why are
> they wasting time with these when they could be doing figures of
> characters who *didn't* get Hasbro toys, like the Diagnostic Drone?
> Victory Saber is a surprising choice, but it'll make the Japanese fans
> happy. Wonder who he comes with. Deszaras? (Wonder how they'll
> romanize his name?)

Huh. I'm surprised to see Japanese characters, but it's good for the 25th
Anniversary stuff to be that inclusive. And Deathsaurus is already the
official Hasbro name for that character, used on the BotCon '05 toy, so need
to wonder about romanization.

> Here's some other stuff I didn't know about, but I don't know if it's
> already been reported elsewhere. The cross-reference for the
> Transformers Classics series (Sunstreaker, Prowl, Tankor, etc.) also
> includes a listing for DX CHEETOR, DX AUTOBOT, DX CYCLONUS, DX HOT
> SHOT, and DX STARSCREA. The Autobot listing is probably short for
> Jazz or Hound or somebody, but the non-G1 characters seem like odd
> choices. Is Starscream just going to be a repack of the Classics 1.0
> toy, or something else?

Cheetor, Cyclonus, and Hot Shot were announced at BotCon. As was Hound, who
can assumed to be the listed "Autobot." Starscream is a new one, though.

> The Ultra scale assortment (the one that will have Onslaught,
> Silverbolt, and Powerglide) also had a cross-reference in the computer
> for SCOURGE and somebody called STORM C. What's that short for (Storm
> Cloud?), and who's he supposed to be?

Storm Cloud is a redeco of theClassic Series Powerglide, based on the
Micromaster.

> Finally, I found the Transformers Universe Legends toys in the system
> (and apparently my store's got 24 of them in stock somewhere, but I
> haven't seen any of 'em yet). There were listings for Onslaught, Red
> Alert, Starscream, Hound, Autobot Jazz, Megatron, Optimus Prime,
> Bumblebee, Prowl, Beachcomber, Brawn, Cosmos, Rodimus, Wheelie, and
> Warpath. Are these all supposed to be redeco versions of existing
> Legends class toys, or are there going to be any designed specifically
> to represent the G1 characters? (I can't believe they're doing
> another version of Wheelie! That's crazy!) These are going to retail
> for only $4.44 so I'm thinking I may end up buying quite a few of
> them.

Some of these are known.

Onslaught is a redeco of Cybertron Legends Red Alert, whose in his Cybertron
Defense body. Red Alert is a redeco of Cyb. Legends Hot Shot. Starscream is
a redeco of Cyb. Legends Thundercracker.

Hound, Jazz, Beachcomber, Brawl, and Megatron are announced new molds, with
Megatron in G2-based tank form.

The rest of those are, as far as I've heard, new news.

-Kil

retardomontalban

Jul 15, 2008, 8:05:36 PM7/15/08

> The Transformers Crossover series had listings for MVL TRA CRSSOVR
> CPT, MVL TRA CRSSOVR HUMA, MVL TRA CRSSOVR WOLV, and MVL TRA CRSSOVR
> THIN.  The first three are evidently Captain America, Human Torch, and
> Wolverine, but who's the fourth one?
>

> Zob

Thing.

griffin

Jul 15, 2008, 8:40:46 PM7/15/08

"Zobovor" <zm...@aol.com> wrote in message
> Here's some other stuff I didn't know about, but I don't know if it's
> already been reported elsewhere. The cross-reference for the
> Transformers Classics series (Sunstreaker, Prowl, Tankor, etc.) also
> includes a listing for DX CHEETOR, DX AUTOBOT, DX CYCLONUS, DX HOT
> SHOT, and DX STARSCREA. The Autobot listing is probably short for
> Jazz or Hound or somebody, but the non-G1 characters seem like odd
> choices. Is Starscream just going to be a repack of the Classics 1.0
> toy, or something else?

Those are part of the 25th Anniversary line (a selection of characters over
the generations with all new moulds), which won't be released until the
first half of next year. So Walmart is certainly listing a lot of stuff in
advance. Hound comes with Ravage, Cyclonus with Nightstick, and Hot Shot
with Jolt - all new moulds (shown at BotCon). Don't know about Starscream
though, as it could be from any series, but is likely to be a new mould as
well.

-griffin.
---------------------------------------
Ozformers Administrator
http://www.otca.com.au/ - The Australian Transformers Fansite.
For news and interaction since 1996.
Fan forums - http://www.otca.com.au/boards/

My Transformers collection (2,279 figures & figurines)
http://www.otca.com.au/collection.html
Giant Burger Project - http://www.otca.com.au/burger.html

Thylacine 2000

Jul 15, 2008, 9:41:06 PM7/15/08

Way to go, Zob: this is the first time ATT has gotten an actual news
scoop in literally years! :)

Onslaught Six

Jul 15, 2008, 11:18:41 PM7/15/08
On Jul 15, 8:05 pm, retardomontalban <retardomontal...@aol.com> wrote:

> Thing.

Rock Lords!

Victoryleo

Jul 16, 2008, 7:49:29 AM7/16/08
Zob,thanks for the info your the man.

I'll be looking forward to that classics 2.0/universe cyclonus toy
most of all from this line.

As far as robot hero's goes,I don't see anything worthy of my money.
squatting non-poseable smurf like figurines,no thanks.

I'd love for hasbro to make super poseable robot heros with tons on
moving joints like G.I Joe/action master size scale. that in my
opinion would rock on so many cool levels.

Chad Rushing

Jul 16, 2008, 9:37:17 AM7/16/08
On Jul 16, 6:49 am, Victoryleo <Victoryl...@aol.com> wrote:

> As far as robot hero's goes,I don't see anything worthy of my money.
> squatting non-poseable smurf like figurines,no thanks.

That's actually a pretty apt and funny comparison for those of us who
were around when Smurfs toys were introduced. I remember as a kid
seeing all these little blue men at the mall toy store and wondering
what in the heck they were supposed to be.

I guess that means that Optimus is now "Papa Autobot," Ironhide is
"Hefty Autobot," Ratchet is "Handy Autobot," Ravage is "Azrael," and
so forth. If only Hasbro would release a mushroom-shaped headquarters
for them ...

- Chad

DavidCon...@gmail.com

Jul 16, 2008, 9:58:32 AM7/16/08
On Jul 15, 5:48 pm, Zobovor <zm...@aol.com> wrote:
> Chad's query about future Robot Heroes releases got me curious, so I
> poked around in the Wal-Mart computer today and I found some listings
> for upcoming toys that I didn't know about.  Apologies if this is old
> news, but I haven't seen any mention of them here yet.

> Here's some other stuff I didn't know about, but I don't know if it's

> already been reported elsewhere.  The cross-reference for the
> Transformers Classics series (Sunstreaker, Prowl, Tankor, etc.) also
> includes a listing for DX CHEETOR, DX AUTOBOT, DX CYCLONUS, DX HOT
> SHOT, and DX STARSCREA.  The Autobot listing is probably short for
> Jazz or Hound or somebody, but the non-G1 characters seem like odd
> choices.  Is Starscream just going to be a repack of the Classics 1.0
> toy, or something else?
>
> The Ultra scale assortment (the one that will have Onslaught,
> Silverbolt, and Powerglide) also had a cross-reference in the computer
> for SCOURGE and somebody called STORM C.  What's that short for (Storm
> Cloud?), and who's he supposed to be?

NIce to see non-G1 characters in Classics/Universe. Not that I don't
love the G1 updates, but variety is nice, and there are more recent
characters who can use improved toys too. Hopefully the trend will
continue beyond a few for the 25th Anniversary.
Dave

sho...@gmail.com

Jul 16, 2008, 11:17:24 AM7/16/08
Hopefully Scourge is G1 Scourge to go with Cyclonus.

Also, the Perceptor COULD be the Unicron Trilogy Minicons vs. someone
else...

Chris

Chad Rushing

Jul 16, 2008, 1:38:27 PM7/16/08
On Jul 15, 4:48 pm, Zobovor <zm...@aol.com> wrote:

> Chad's query about future Robot Heroes releases got me curious, so I
> poked around in the Wal-Mart computer today and I found some listings
> for upcoming toys that I didn't know about. Apologies if this is old
> news, but I haven't seen any mention of them here yet.
> <snip>

It seems that Tformers.com has picked up Zob's news flash:

http://tformers.com/transformers-new-universe-robot-heroes-figures-revealed/9846/news.html

Zob, how are you enjoying your 15 minutes of Internet fame?

What is so funny to me is that they refer to the "Google Transformers
talk group" as if they have never heard of ATT or Usenet. ATT
probably predates Google altogether, and it surely predates all of
these TF fan sites like Tformers.com. Learn your Transfandom history,
guys!

- Chad

Onslaught Six

Jul 16, 2008, 3:02:33 PM7/16/08
On Jul 16, 1:38 pm, Chad Rushing <notu...@aol.com> wrote:

> What is so funny to me is that they refer to the "Google Transformers
> talk group" as if they have never heard of ATT or Usenet.  ATT
> probably predates Google altogether, and it surely predates all of
> these TF fan sites like Tformers.com.  Learn your Transfandom history,
> guys!

TFormers in general sucks. I hate their entire interface, plus
everyone who reviews their toys sucks and can't take decent pics.

And by decent pics I don't mean well-lit and clear pics, but pics that
actually make me want the toys.

Zobovor

Jul 16, 2008, 10:54:42 PM7/16/08
On Jul 16, 11:38 am, Chad Rushing <notu...@aol.com> wrote:

> It seems that Tformers.com has picked up Zob's news flash:

Yeah, just for fun I checked seibertron.com and allspark.com, and they
had already added the news only a few hours after I posted to ATT.
That was pretty quick!

> Zob, how are you enjoying your 15 minutes of Internet fame?

I'm already famous, silly.

Zob

Zobovor

Jul 16, 2008, 10:58:15 PM7/16/08
On Jul 16, 9:17 am, shot...@gmail.com wrote:

> Also, the Perceptor COULD be the Unicron Trilogy Minicons vs. someone
> else...

That had occurred to me as well, but I can't think of any characters
named "Ha____" that would make sense as a nemesis. (HAL 9000? Harold
T. Stone? Harmony Smurf?)

Zob

Thunder Magnificent!

Jul 16, 2008, 11:59:55 PM7/16/08
Zobovor wrote:
> I'm already famous, silly.

Famous or infamous? :)

t.k.

Alden Bates

Jul 17, 2008, 12:37:54 AM7/17/08

Could it be a "we lost the rights to the name, so we're releasing a
character under a different name like we did with Shrapnel" thing?

Alden

Kil - Michael McCarthy

Jul 17, 2008, 12:46:04 AM7/17/08
<sho...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Hopefully Scourge is G1 Scourge to go with Cyclonus.

As an Ultra I don't think he'd fit very well with the Deluxe Cyclonus and
Galavaton.

I'm guessing he's RID Scourge, in some form.

-Kil

Kil - Michael McCarthy

Jul 17, 2008, 12:46:53 AM7/17/08
"Zobovor" <zm...@aol.com> wrote in message

There's Hardtop from Cybertron, but that seems unlikely.

-Kil

Kil - Michael McCarthy

Jul 17, 2008, 12:52:37 AM7/17/08

On Jul 16, 11:38 am, Chad Rushing <notu...@aol.com> wrote:

> It seems that Tformers.com has picked up Zob's news flash:
>
>> Yeah, just for fun I checked seibertron.com and allspark.com, and they
>> had already added the news only a few hours after I posted to ATT.
>> That was pretty quick!

Well, Allspark had it quick because I posted about it there right after I
saw it here on ATT.

-Kil

Chad Rushing

Jul 17, 2008, 3:00:16 AM7/17/08
On Jul 16, 9:54 pm, Zobovor <zm...@aol.com> wrote:

> > Zob, how are you enjoying your 15 minutes of Internet fame?
>
> I'm already famous, silly.

My mistake!

- Chad

retardomontalban

Jul 17, 2008, 12:42:57 PM7/17/08
On Jul 16, 9:52 pm, "Kil - Michael McCarthy" <michaelmc...@aol.com>
wrote:

Gentlemen, we have a spy.

Gustavo Wombat

Jul 17, 2008, 11:56:54 PM7/17/08
On Jul 15, 2:48 pm, Zobovor <zm...@aol.com> wrote:

> Perceptor and his mystery opponent have me baffled; there are only a
> handful of characters whose names start with "Ha-" and none of them
> seem appropriate.  (I'm holding out for the possibility that it's one
> of the generic background Decepticon jets, and that they've
> appropriated one of the names I assigned them, like Harbinger or
> Hailstorm.)  I suppose it could be a brand-new character with a name
> like Hacksaw, but that wouldn't make sense in the Robot Heroes toy
> line.  (Han Solo?  Harvey Birdman?  Hamburglar?  Half-Assed Homage?)

Perceptor doesn't really have an arch nemesis, or any kind of
rivalry... I do hope it is Hamburgler, as somehow Perceptor and
Hamburgler would make a great rivalry.

> Here's some other stuff I didn't know about, but I don't know if it's
> already been reported elsewhere.  The cross-reference for the
> Transformers Classics series (Sunstreaker, Prowl, Tankor, etc.) also
> includes a listing for DX CHEETOR, DX AUTOBOT, DX CYCLONUS, DX HOT
> SHOT, and DX STARSCREA.  The Autobot listing is probably short for
> Jazz or Hound or somebody, but the non-G1 characters seem like odd
> choices.  Is Starscream just going to be a repack of the Classics 1.0
> toy, or something else?

Classics is getting a few characters from outside G1. Cool. I'm hoping
that's Armada Cyclonus and Energon Starscream...

> The Deluxe scale Animated toys had listings for an ARCEE SLEEK CAR (I
> knew an Arcee toy was coming; I just think the description is funny,
> like they're going out of their way to point out that she's not a
> spider or a motorcycle) and also a TRA ELECTROSTATIC S.  That's quite
> a mouthful; is that supposed to be a character's name?

I'd guess that it's a redeco of some character, in an ELECTROSTATIC
color scheme. The only S characters in that size class are: Snarl,
Soundwave, Sentinel Prime and Swoop. Or possibly Samurai Sidecar
Prowl...

At least it's a better adjective for redecos than the very sad Energon
Energon Hot Shot... Perhaps different characters will get different
adjectives, like the Fox Kids BW Recolors nearly got, back in the day.
Jungle Fever Cheetor, Formal Wear Tarantulas, etc.

>  There were listings for Onslaught, Red
> Alert, Starscream, Hound, Autobot Jazz, Megatron, Optimus Prime,
> Bumblebee, Prowl, Beachcomber, Brawn, Cosmos, Rodimus, Wheelie, and
> Warpath.  Are these all supposed to be redeco versions of existing
> Legends class toys, or are there going to be any designed specifically
> to represent the G1 characters?

Some redecos, and some new molds. There's a tiny little G2 Megatron
coming, which excites me in ways that it shouldn't. There needs to be
the Hero redeco in purple with blue treads and a black triangular
"camouflage" pattern.

It does amuse me that Onslaught and Perceptor share the same body
design.

> (I can't believe they're doing
> another version of Wheelie!  That's crazy!)

Wheelie did appear in the movie, and then Season 3 quite a bit, so he
is one of the most recognizable characters. Hated, but recognized.

The IDW Wheelie Spotlight was actually pretty good, though. So if they
make him the kick-ass modern Wheelie, I'll buy one.

Gustavo!

Thunder Magnificent!

Jul 18, 2008, 6:45:07 AM7/18/08
Gustavo Wombat wrote:
> Classics is getting a few characters from outside G1. Cool. I'm hoping
> that's Armada Cyclonus and Energon Starscream...

Dunno about Starscream but Cyclonus is definitely G1 (with Targetmaster
Nightstick). We saw him at Botcon (a pic at the Hasbro panel).

t.k.