An unusual situation

Bruce Ide

Jun 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/21/96

Hey all!

I left IBM onsite support a while back due to the fact that I wanted
to get away from SlowAss/2 and start working with a suitably obscure
OS such as UNIX. So I interview with these guys, right... And they
want a guy with a LOT of experience, multiple OSes, programming,
shell scripting, networking, etc, etc. And during the interview I
specifically say "I'm leaving my current position because I'd rather
be working with UNIX." So I leave IBM and go to The Planet of the
Suits.

So what do they do? Put me right back on OS/2 on a machine running
1/4th the amount of memory it should be for what they want done.
I mean, this thing swaps when you move a window to the foreground.
Admittedly they did give me a $10K a year raise over what I was
making...

So I start going on the job quest again eh? And I take a day off
for a full day interview at a very promising company. And I get
back and my boss tells me "You need to decide if you want a job
here." Apparently taking days off is frowned upon in the planet
of the suits.

Now the fun stuff begins!

Next day I give notice. Ya'all got two weeks to find a replacement.

Next day I get 15 phone calls whining "Oh please don't leave until
we find a replacement and get them trained into this position." I
go Hmm, well I can live with that I suppose.

Muahahahaha!

Needless to say two weeks and a day later they haven't even
interviewed anyone. HOWEVER, my in my current resigned status,
there is now now question at all as to whether or not I want a
job there! You know what that means?

THE BOFH LIVES!

So I just kind of amble on in whenever I want to now, generally
more-or-less about the time I'm supposed to be there unless I
don't feel like it.

So I'm rather obviously talking to other employers from my desk.
Just to remind them that I am in fact a short timer.

Nevermind that managers in 2 other groups where I work have
asked me if I'd like to come to work for them after leaving
the current group.

Oh the lusers love me. Want a block of 64 Class C's? Sure!
I'm sure we could turn up one of those. (Hmm *ClickyClicky*
I'm sure Netscape didn't need all those...) Oh by the
way, what was your user name again? *ClickyClicky*

When the salespeople call for port assignments I hold
out for beer or T-Shirts. I'm working on replacing my entire
wardrobe. I've been drooling over one of those Dodge
Vipers, too, I'm gonna wait for the next emergency
T3 turn-up that has to be done by midnight and hold out
for one of those.

Just before I leave I'm pondering inserting into the startup
code of several of the servers a chunk that posts to the
entire company network "4ND TH3N W3 H4K3D 1NT0 BURG3R K1NG
4ND M4D3 4LL TH3 HAPPY M34LS C0ST JUST 4 QU4RT3RZ! 1T WUZ
3L33T!" whenever said servers are restarted.

Anyone got any other suggestions as to how I can abuse my
current position? I'm having way too much fun :-)

--
-----------------------------------
Bruce Ide gre...@gate.net, gre...@vnet.net, or ro...@greyfox.org

The Happiest Dragon Alive!!

Jun 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/21/96

Bruce Ide posted this to alt.sysadmin.recovery. For shame, Bruce Ide!:
<massive snippage of something sounding like my last job>
: Just before I leave I'm pondering inserting into the startup

: code of several of the servers a chunk that posts to the
: entire company network "4ND TH3N W3 H4K3D 1NT0 BURG3R K1NG
: 4ND M4D3 4LL TH3 HAPPY M34LS C0ST JUST 4 QU4RT3RZ! 1T WUZ
: 3L33T!" whenever said servers are restarted.

Umm, it's "4ND TH3N W3 H4Q3D 1NT0 BURG3R K1NG 4ND M4D3 4LL TH3 H4PPY M34LS
C0ST A QU4RT3R! 1T WUZ 3L33T!" :) (I know too many people who have
luser friends. but who can pass up an easy LART target?;)

: Anyone got any other suggestions as to how I can abuse my

: current position? I'm having way too much fun :-)

telnet> open servername

AIX Login stuff:)
login: root
password:

servername:~# rm -rf /*
(note: *DO NOT REBOOT*. leave the machine like this.}:)

servername:~# vi /etc/motd
(add to motd:)
"TH15 5Y5T3M 15 0WN3D"

*OR*

"Our feed will be down til sometime next week due to physical failure."
(then snip the wires on all the feeds)

If it has half the effect it has had elsewhere... *evilgrins*

Hmmm... I just got the last of the coffee, doesn't look like anybody went
home last night besides Matt, Jim, and I. This doesn't look good..
(prepares for day from hell at work:P)
--
-electel-/-ele...@apk.net-/-dr...@gcomm.com-/-dr...@spec.org-
"you call this a .sig?!?"

Andy Dills

Jun 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/22/96

The Happiest Dragon Alive!! (ele...@junior.wariat.org) wrote:
: telnet> open servername

:
: AIX Login stuff:)
: login: root
: password:
:
: servername:~# rm -rf /*
: (note: *DO NOT REBOOT*. leave the machine like this.}:)

No, no, no. At work, we were just discussing this[1] the other day.

You must get exotic. You do something like leave something in the scheduler
(whether it be cron or AT or whatever...) that moves your nifty little set
of home pages over the comanies.

Delete /dev/tty* and /dev/console

Change the hostname.

Export your drives to the world, then post to alt.2600.[2]

Edit sendmail.cf with a nice line like this:

R$*<@company.com.> $# local $: yourboss's_login_name

Or worse yet :>

R$*<@company.com.> $# smtp $@ competitor.com $: root<@competitor.com>

And of course, you have to leave behind some hacked binaries, so you can check in on your havoc later.

Actually, if they run AIX.....the cruelest thing to do would be to just leave it be.

: servername:~# vi /etc/motd

: (add to motd:)
: "TH15 5Y5T3M 15 0WN3D"
:
: *OR*
:
: "Our feed will be down til sometime next week due to physical failure."
: (then snip the wires on all the feeds)
:
: If it has half the effect it has had elsewhere... *evilgrins*

Or just make a phone call to your local Bell and request the turn off service for the local loops.

: Hmmm... I just got the last of the coffee, doesn't look like anybody went

: home last night besides Matt, Jim, and I. This doesn't look good..
: (prepares for day from hell at work:P)
: --
: -electel-/-ele...@apk.net-/-dr...@gcomm.com-/-dr...@spec.org-
: "you call this a .sig?!?"
: [http://junior.wariat.org/~electel/]

[1] Not you specifically, but hacking and that sort of thing in general.
[2] That is, if anybody that reads alt.2600 knows how to nfs mount drives.
--

-----/'[/'[/'[Andy Dills]'\]'\]'\-----
"Founding member of the Frednet.Support" Phear the big BEAVIS!

Peter Gutmann

Jun 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/23/96

ele...@junior.wariat.org (The Happiest Dragon Alive!!) writes:

>"Our feed will be down til sometime next week due to physical failure."
>(then snip the wires on all the feeds)

>If it has half the effect it has had elsewhere... *evilgrins*

If you're running coax, push pins through it and break them off so you can't
see where the short is (this is a trick from amateur radio, and is somewhat
more effective when your victim is about to drop 1KW of RF through the cable).
This should keep them amused for awhile.

Peter.

Don Read

Jun 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/24/96

In the beginning, or at least on 23 Jun 96 21:04:00 GMT, Peter Gutmann
<pgu...@cs.auckland.ac.nz> proclaimed ...

>If you're running coax, push pins through it and break them off so you can't
>see where the short is

I was gonna suggest pipeing the bosses e-mail thru "jive", But thinking this
was just a bit much, i didn't.

> (this is a trick from amateur radio, and is somewhat
>more effective when your victim is about to drop 1KW of RF through the
cable).
>This should keep them amused for awhile.

But some of you folks are pure _evil_.

--
Don Read sy...@calcasieu.com
EDP Manager dr...@i-link.net

Kyle Hearn

Jun 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/24/96

On 21 Jun 1996, Bruce Ide wrote:

> Anyone got any other suggestions as to how I can abuse my
> current position? I'm having way too much fun :-)

Turn all the machines off. Switch the 110/220 power supplies and wait for
someone to turn them all back on. Take the server case off and have water
cannon fights in the server room. Put Bart Simpson sounds on everything.
Password all the screen savers and set them to go off in 1 minute and
then go home and take the phone off the hook. Hide power cords. Hide
keyboards. Hide monitors. Put the after dark totally twisted screen saver
on the president's machine and set it to full blown cow bungie jumping.
Mooooooooooooo.

Kyle Hearn | "I've seen Sun monitors on fire off the side
Texas Online | of the multimedia lab. I've seen NTU lights
| glitter in the dark near the Mail Gate. All
| these things will be lost in time, like the
| root partition last week. Time to die..."
| -Peter Gutman

Robert Bonomi

Jun 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/25/96

In article <13...@calcas.calcasieu.com>, Don Read <sy...@calcasieu.com> wrote:
>In the beginning, or at least on 23 Jun 96 21:04:00 GMT, Peter Gutmann
><pgu...@cs.auckland.ac.nz> proclaimed ...
>>
>>If you're running coax, push pins through it and break them off so you can't
>>see where the short is
>
>I was gonna suggest pipeing the bosses e-mail thru "jive", But thinking this
>was just a bit much, i didn't.
>
>> (this is a trick from amateur radio, and is somewhat
>>more effective when your victim is about to drop 1KW of RF through the
>cable).
>>This should keep them amused for awhile.
>
>But some of you folks are pure _evil_.

I've got a BNC T-connector, that is -just- the outer shell. no center
conductor, or insulation.

Moz

Jun 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/25/96

Peter Gutmann (pgu...@cs.auckland.ac.nz) wrote:
: If you're running coax, push pins through it and break them off so you can't
: see where the short is (this is a trick from amateur radio, and is somewhat
: more effective when your victim is about to drop 1KW of RF through the cable).
: This should keep them amused for awhile.

Actually, my flatmate is an ameteur radio "fan" and I'm often tempted to do
this to him. You see, his "radio shack" is right through the wall from my
bed. I get really sick of "ZK LUSER calling ZK LUSER calling" at any old
hour of the night. And sheilding? Ask me about what RF does to your PC when
the transmitting aerial is about 20 feet away from it. Hnnnggh. LART. LART.

*hugs*
Moz
<this posting brought to you by the happy joy song>

Dave Brown

Jun 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/27/96
In article <4qogh0$r...@airdmhor.gen.nz>, Moz <m...@airdmhor.gen.nz> wrote:
: Actually, my flatmate

Damn. I originally read this as "my fletemate".

Which might have given me some small clue as to what "The computer
fletely, mouse and all" meant.

Oh well.

--Dave (bound to be something involving RS/6000s and Netscape, though)
--
http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/~dagbrown/
"You don't change the way people think by changing what they say. You

Tim Bandy

Jun 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/28/96
jo...@Capital.Net (John Fitzpatrick) writes:

!:Robert Bonomi (bon...@eecs.nwu.edu) wrote:
!:: In article <13...@calcas.calcasieu.com>, Don Read <sy...@calcasieu.com> wrote:
!:: >In the beginning, or at least on 23 Jun 96 21:04:00 GMT, Peter Gutmann
!:: ><pgu...@cs.auckland.ac.nz> proclaimed ...
!:: >>
!:: >>If you're running coax, push pins through it and break them off so you can't
!:: >>see where the short is
!:: >
!:: >I was gonna suggest pipeing the bosses e-mail thru "jive", But thinking this
!:: >was just a bit much, i didn't.
!:: >

!:Take any perl scripts or other code stored in clear text on the system and
!:run them through sort. *snicker*

Well, if you sort them, you don't want to have to read all of those
consequtive lines. Might as well pipe it through uniq as well.
--
Tim Bandy University of Minnesota
tim...@monopoly.cs.umn.edu ba...@cs.umn.edu

John Fitzpatrick

Jun 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/29/96
Tim Bandy (ba...@itlabs.umn.edu) wrote:
: jo...@Capital.Net (John Fitzpatrick) writes:

: !:Robert Bonomi (bon...@eecs.nwu.edu) wrote:
: !:: In article <13...@calcas.calcasieu.com>, Don Read <sy...@calcasieu.com> wrote:
: !:: >In the beginning, or at least on 23 Jun 96 21:04:00 GMT, Peter Gutmann
: !:: ><pgu...@cs.auckland.ac.nz> proclaimed ...
: !:: >>
: !:: >>If you're running coax, push pins through it and break them off so you can't
: !:: >>see where the short is
: !:: >
: !:: >I was gonna suggest pipeing the bosses e-mail thru "jive", But thinking this
: !:: >was just a bit much, i didn't.
: !:: >

: !:Take any perl scripts or other code stored in clear text on the system and
: !:run them through sort. *snicker*

: Well, if you sort them, you don't want to have to read all of those
: consequtive lines. Might as well pipe it through uniq as well.

True, but that would change the file size. After thought from one of our
engineers is to redirect all error messages to /dev/null. Everything looks
the same, doesn't work worth a fig.

John Fitzpatrick

James Mcpherson

Jun 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/30/96
John Fitzpatrick (jo...@lestat.netgoth.com) spake thusly:

I just ran the Red Hat Package manager tool, glint, thru jive:

#. Right On! /bin/sh

# Glint graphical package manager
#
# Copyright (C) 1995 Red Hat, Inc
#
# Dis honky code be free software; ya' kin redistribute it and/o' modify
# it unda' de terms uh de GNU General Public License as published by
# de Free Software Foundashun; eida' version 2 uh de License, o'
# (at yo' opshun) any lata' version. 'S coo', bro.
#
# Dis honky code be distributed in de hope dat it gots'ta be useful,
# but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; widout even de implied warranty of
# MERCHANTABILITY o' FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See de
# GNU General Public License fo' mo'e details.
#
# You's should gots' received some copy uh de GNU General Public License
# along wid dis honky code; if not, scribble t'de Free Software
# Foundashun, Inc., 675 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA.

Do you think RMS would enjoy this? ;)

cheers,
jcm
--
Historian/Inter Library Loans Branch Sysmangler
mljm...@dingo.cc.uq.oz.au (play) j.mcp...@central1.library.uq.edu.au

Don Read

Jun 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/30/96

Once upon a time, ba...@itlabs.umn.edu said...

>jo...@Capital.Net (John Fitzpatrick) writes:
>!:Robert Bonomi (bon...@eecs.nwu.edu) wrote:
>!:: >I was gonna suggest pipeing the bosses e-mail thru "jive", But thinking
this
>!:: >was just a bit much, i didn't.
>
>!:Take any perl scripts or other code stored in clear text on the system and
>!:run them through sort. *snicker*
>
>Well, if you sort them, you don't want to have to read all of those
>consequtive lines. Might as well pipe it through uniq as well.

a 'cut -c1-8,10- /etc/hosts' would do wonders for the routed;
YMMV
HTH

--
Don Read (the Sparkless) dr...@i-link.net
Austin TX sy...@calcasieu.com

Peter H. Coffin

Jul 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/5/96

m...@airdmhor.gen.nz (Moz) writes:

> Actually, my flatmate is an ameteur radio "fan" and I'm often tempted to do
> this to him. You see, his "radio shack" is right through the wall from my
> bed. I get really sick of "ZK LUSER calling ZK LUSER calling" at any old
> hour of the night. And sheilding? Ask me about what RF does to your PC when
> the transmitting aerial is about 20 feet away from it. Hnnnggh. LART. LART.

Get revenge. Dredge up an Apple ][ from somewhere and fire that up
instead of your ususal machine when flatmate is playing radio-ghod.
You'll be putting out enough radio noise of your own to block any
response he might be getting, and you can play Loderunner at the same
time.

I've seen Apple ]['s foul up coax tranmissions. Broadcast should be no
problem at all.

|\ _,,,---,,_ +-----------------------------+
ZZZzz /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ | Isn't there always a cat |
|,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-' | on whatever you're reading? |
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) +-----------------------------+

Brian Kantor

Jul 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/6/96

Hmmph. If you want to cause REAL chaos in the office,
use some of your spare time to fetch and destroy all the
backup instant coffee bottles in everyone's desk.

Then break the coffee machine.

Now laugh your ass off as the sales drones try to chew the caffeine
out of the coffee stains in the carpet, while you munch on your
secret stash of chocolate-covered espresso beans.

Serves them right for not respecting you enough.

Tim Lavoie

Jul 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/8/96

Peter> In article <4qogh0$r...@airdmhor.gen.nz> m...@airdmhor.gen.nz
Peter> (Moz) writes:

>> Actually, my flatmate is an ameteur radio "fan" and I'm often
>> tempted to do this to him. You see, his "radio shack" is right
>> through the wall from my bed. I get really sick of "ZK LUSER
>> calling ZK LUSER calling" at any old hour of the night. And
>> sheilding? Ask me about what RF does to your PC when the
>> transmitting aerial is about 20 feet away from
>> it. Hnnnggh. LART. LART.

Peter> Get revenge. Dredge up an Apple ][ from somewhere and fire
Peter> that up instead of your ususal machine when flatmate is
Peter> playing radio-ghod. You'll be putting out enough radio
Peter> noise of your own to block any response he might be
Peter> getting, and you can play Loderunner at the same time.

Peter> I've seen Apple ]['s foul up coax tranmissions. Broadcast
Peter> should be no problem at all.

Or, build a Tesla coil, and keep a fluorescent bulb loose in his
space. When he's pissing you off, turn on the coil and light up the
unconnected bulb. Feign innocence, but see if the
bulb/interference/time of day correlation triggers an eventual
"Eureka!" from the flatmate.

Cheers!
Tim Lavoie