G6 400 Upgrade Question

chapinc

Dec 24, 2001, 8:49:10 AM12/24/01
I have a G6 400 with 4M4PBOX1.15A.0033.P21 Bios (I think this is a Tabor
MB). Anyway, I would like to know if I can reliably upgrade the processor
with a Powerleap PL-iP3/T 1200C (1.2 GB Celeron). Powerleap's site
information is sketchy as to compatibility with my computer. If I can
upgrade, can I use my current Bios? Are there any other compatibility
issues I need to watch out for? Finally, is the $169 price a good one and
will I notice enough performance increase to make it worth the price?

Thanks,
Chris

Edward J. Neth

Dec 24, 2001, 9:07:48 AM12/24/01
It will most likely work fine - this is the latest BIOS for your board (for
which there is no Intel equivalent BIOS, since the board is Gateway-only).

Powerleap will refund you money if the upgrade doesn't work - and it will
appreciably boost performance on most applications.

"chapinc" <cch...@cox.rr.com> wrote in message

George S.

Dec 24, 2001, 8:12:16 PM12/24/01
Good news Chris!!

I just installed a PL-iP3/T 1200C in my G6-400 MB Part # 4000321 w/ BIOS
4M4PBOX1.15A.0033.P21. Everything is running great. Just unscrew the top
retaining bracket cover, remove the original CPU by pulling straight up,
insert the PL-iP3/T into the slot by pushing straight down, plug the power
connector in and to any unused (or unused power connector) plug every thing
in and boot the machine.

Note: The retention bracket cover will not fit on top of the new PL-iP3/T,
just make sure you push the two tabs out that are located on either side of
the PL-iP3/T to lock it in place.

MP3 to wave conversions take half as much time to complete. I have my son
heating up the CPU as I type playing HL Counterstrike and Unreal Tournament,
so far no lockups or errors . There is light at the end of the tunnel for
all us folks who bought PII slot 1 systems almost 4 years ago.

"chapinc" <cch...@cox.rr.com> wrote in message

> I have a G6 400 with 4M4PBOX1.15A.0033.P21 Bios (I think this is a Tabor
> MB). Anyway, I would like to know if I can reliably upgrade the processor

> with a Powerleap 1200C (1.2 GB Celeron). Powerleap's site

John

Dec 24, 2001, 9:44:52 PM12/24/01
I just finished installing the Powerleap PL-iP3/T 1200C in a 1998 G6 400 MB
# 40000264 and it went pretty easily. It took me about 45 minutes, hardest
part was getting old processor off. On my MB there is a second latch at the
bottom that is a little hard to get at. Booted right up and is running
good. I am using P13 BIOS per Powerleap's instructions for Intel SE440 BX
board. Is there any reason to upgrade to Gateway's P21 BIOS ?

George S.

Dec 24, 2001, 10:20:11 PM12/24/01
What is your bios showing for processor and speed?

"John" <exr...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

ron silton

Dec 25, 2001, 9:54:38 AM12/25/01
I have the same system, but the original BIOS (4M4PB0X1.15A.0018.P09). Would
I have to update to the latest BIOS to use a Powerleap processor?

"Edward J. Neth" <ej...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Edward J. Neth

Dec 25, 2001, 11:04:21 AM12/25/01
Most likely, yes.

"ron silton" <sil...@ifx.net> wrote in message

ron silton

Dec 25, 2001, 12:30:49 PM12/25/01
That would bother me if I screwed up the update to the BIOS, but I believe
that I recently read that it could read its original BIOS from a Read Only
DRAM on the motherboard in case that ever happened.

"Edward J. Neth" <ej...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Edward J. Neth

Dec 25, 2001, 1:45:37 PM12/25/01
Yes, there is a recovery feature in case of a failed BIOS flash. Most
times,
as long as you've got the correct BIOS and you make sure the flash finishes
(i.e., the power doesn't fail halfway through), a BIOS flash is a
straightforward
issue.

I doubt the older BIOS on these boards would be able to deal with the
microcode
on the newer processors - while the PowerLeap slotket bypasses
the lack of low voltage support on the system board, it doesn't deal with
the
microcode - fortunately, the later BIOSes for all these boards work
with the newer processors.

"ron silton" <sil...@ifx.net> wrote in message

chapinc

Dec 28, 2001, 10:02:29 PM12/28/01
Well I recieved my Powerleap PL-iP3/T with Celeron 1.2GHz today. As I
previously mentioned, I have a Gateway G6-400 that I purchased in Jun 98. I
already had the latest BIOS 4M4PBOX1.15A.0033.P21 installed. It took me
about 15 minutes to open up the case, remove the original processor, and
install the new one. The only unusual issue I came across was that I had to
remove two screws to take off a black plastic bar/bracket that went across
the old Pentium II board to help hold it in. I then popped the Slocket out
and popped the new Powerleap board in without any trouble at all. I
couldn't figure out how to get the black plastic bracket to work with the
new processor board, so I just left it off. I had to use the pass through
connector (hooked up to my zip drive's power plug) to get power to the fan.
The whole affair was not much more difficult than adding in some new memory.
The computer booted right up as usual (I have windows XP). BIOS Set up
shows the new processor as a "Pentium Pro" running at 1200MHz. Direct X
diagnostic shows it as a Intel Celeron running at 1200 MHz. I also
installed the Powerleap CPU console and it shows everything as it should be.
Performance is noticably faster. For $169 plus shipping, I can't believe
what a great product this appears to be. Anyway, so far I am a very happy
customer.

Cheers,
Chris