dell 720 Printer

Big H

Jul 23, 2004, 6:53:11 PM7/23/04
Dell have an offer till end of tomoorow for a dell 720 printer,
cartridges and cable for £9.99. I'm looking for a cheap printer, does
anyone know if this one is any good, will it work with windows me
(dell say win 2000 & xp). Also its usb 2.0, so will this work with usb
1.0.

thanks in advance

Andy

Edward J. Neth

Jul 23, 2004, 6:48:15 PM7/23/04
Check the cost of the cartridges and their rated print page count. A cheap
printer up front often costs a bundle to operate.

Don't count on it working with old DOS-based Windows - many of the newer
Lexmarks (Lexmark being Dell's ODM for inkjets) will not work properly with
95/98/ME.

"Big H" <hays...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

Basill

Jul 24, 2004, 2:51:02 AM7/24/04

"Edward J. Neth" <ej...@netscape.com> wrote in message

> Check the cost of the cartridges and their rated print page count. A
cheap
> printer up front often costs a bundle to operate.

I believe these printers are badged Lexmarks, however the cartridges are
slightly different to the standard lexmark cartridges and only available
from Dell.

That said the prices from Dell are not extortionate compared to shop price
Lexmark carts, generic replacements are sure to appear and noone says you
cant refill them.

Cheers,

Dave

Johoo

Jul 24, 2004, 6:16:30 AM7/24/04
Why not buy 2 or 3 printers? Then you have cheap spare cartridges.

harrie

"Big H" <hays...@bigfoot.com> schreef in bericht

garethej

Aug 3, 2004, 3:10:55 AM8/3/04
I fell for the same deal I'm afraid. I figured that you cant really
get upset at losing a tenner especially when the cartridges are
thrown in. Had Lexmarks before and been happy with em - to buy
genuine cartridges as always a major financial pain. This printer
comes with two cartridges alright, but they're
TRIAL size, not the full size refills. I
dont know how many prints theyre good for, I'm keeping mine strictly
as a backup. The belkin USB cable and power cable are useful
though... So technically its a con - boo hiss at Dell I'll be
sticking with my epson methinks!

==============

Ogden Johnson III

Aug 3, 2004, 10:58:39 AM8/3/04
gare...@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (garethej) wrote:

>I fell for the same deal I'm afraid. I figured that you cant really
>get upset at losing a tenner especially when the cartridges are
>thrown in. Had Lexmarks before and been happy with em - to buy
>genuine cartridges as always a major financial pain. This printer
>comes with two cartridges alright, but they're TRIAL size, not
>the full size refills. I dont know how many prints theyre good
>for, I'm keeping mine strictly as a backup.

Every printer, copier, fax machine, whatever, I/my company have
bought over the past few years has come with those
"starter"-sized toner cartridge(s), ink cartridge(s), whatever
the machine uses. I, too, have used Lexmarks and have been happy
with them, but would be leery of the fact that the Dell badged
models use a modified cartridge. Basil assures us that the
"Dell" cartridges are competitively priced, but I still dislike
being locked in to one supplier/brand for consumables like toner
or ink cartridges. So I'd pass on the Dell branded printers, no
matter what the price.

[Soon as I bought my home fax two years ago, the need for it
virtually disappeared. I haven't used it enough to finish off
the starter toner cartridge and need to put in the "real" one I
bought at the same time. :-) ]
--
OJ III

Colin Wilson

Aug 3, 2004, 1:17:29 PM8/3/04
> I fell for the same deal I'm afraid.

Has anyone figured out which printer this really us, and if drivers are
available for Win98/ME yet ?

Hank Arnold

Aug 4, 2004, 5:26:52 AM8/4/04
My thoughts exactly, except for the comments on Lexmark printers. My
experience has not been good with their printers. The paper feed is a weak
link, they use a lot of ink and their cartridges are expensive relative to,
for example, HP.

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

"Ogden Johnson III" <oj3...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

The Social Outcast

Aug 5, 2004, 3:07:58 PM8/5/04

"garethej" <gare...@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message

>I fell for the same deal I'm afraid. I figured that you cant really
> get upset at losing a tenner especially when the cartridges are
> thrown in. Had Lexmarks before and been happy with em - to buy
> genuine cartridges as always a major financial pain. This printer
> comes with two cartridges alright, but they're
> TRIAL size, not the full size refills. I
> dont know how many prints theyre good for, I'm keeping mine strictly
> as a backup. The belkin USB cable and power cable are useful
> though... So technically its a con - boo hiss at Dell I'll be
> sticking with my epson methinks!

I also fell for this but thanks to what I read about this scam in this
newsgroup I left the box sealed and unopened and advertised the printer in
my local free-ads rag for £20.

Sold it within hours of it appearing.

Didn't cost me a penny to advertise and I'm a tenner up on the deal!

Larry Caldwell

Aug 6, 2004, 11:12:41 AM8/6/04
In article <MPG.1b79d9038...@news.individual.net>,
vo...@btinternet.com (Colin Wilson) says...

> Has anyone figured out which printer this really us, and if drivers are
> available for Win98/ME yet ?

Drivers will never be available for anything but XP.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc

Colin Wilson

Aug 6, 2004, 7:39:10 PM8/6/04
> > Has anyone figured out which printer this really us, and if drivers are
> > available for Win98/ME yet ?
> Drivers will never be available for anything but XP.

Oh well, I just ordered a cheap 2400 for the missus anyway :-p

UK small business site (2.6Ghz celery, 256Mb RAM, no monitor, 12 months
collect and return, free delivery, £233 all in)

Camilo Andres Arango

Aug 31, 2004, 9:05:03 PM8/31/04
Hello. I received yesterday a DEll 720 printer. Prints fast, installed
easy (under Windows 2000). Only downs: No USB cable provided. Not a
big problem, now Im using another one I had before. Second down:
apparently, no cartridge refills available.

Until now, I have found one site promising to sell refills:
http://www.atlanticinkjet.com/ink-cartridge-refills-dell-Dell-720.asp

Also, found another post on Usenet that claims Dell printers are
actually Lexmarks printers, and that it is possible to modify the DELL
printer (by cutting something on it) so that it would receive Lexmark
cartridges. It also claims that this can be made very easily with a
common knife.

This would not only mean you can use Lexmark Cartridges, but also that
you can for sure refill them, because Lexmark cartridges are popular
enough to easily find refill kits out there.

To see the post, just do a google search for "Dell 720". You'll also
find a couple useful links too.

cheers,

Camilo Arango
camilo_arango in hotmail.

Colin Wilson

Sep 1, 2004, 7:05:50 AM9/1/04
> To see the post, just do a google search for "Dell 720". You'll also
> find a couple useful links too.

This isn`t a lot of use on its own - you could have re-posted the article
I believe you are referring to, as follows:

---
> Hi could someone tell me the equivelant Lexmark cartridges I need to buy for
> the Dell 720 printer and if they need modified in any way.

Dell 720 takes the same Dell cartridges as the Dell A920 but is
physically simailar to Lexmark Z600 series, particularly Z605.

According to my Argos catalogue, Z605 takes Black 10N0016 & 10N00217
and Colour 10N0026 & 10N0227.

(-217 & -227 are 'Moderate Use' cartridges, which to my jaundiced eye
mans that Lexmark will sell you about half the ink for 2/3 the cost so
that when it dries up in the cartridge though disuse you won't suffer
so much 'sticker shock' replacing it - they should refill ok, though.)

Dell and Lexmark cartridges seem to be identical apart from the top,
which prevents one supplier's cartridge fitting the other's printer.

Both Dell & Lexmatk cartridges have a 'wedge of cheese' moulding on
the top cover and only the sloping front part of this seems to be
required for cartridge registration - a sprung slider pushes it back.

The rear part is used to 'customise' the cartridge to a supplier.

It seems possible to transplant a Dell top or cut a Lexmark one
but at the expense of repeated labour and increased ink evaporation
from the 'ventilated' cartridges.

Better to modify the printer - but entirely at your own risk ;-)

If you look in the Dell Owner's Manual book you will see the _Lexmark_
cartridge illustrated(!): it has a rectagular cutout at the top rear
and there is a corresponding fore-and-aft tab underneath the
printer's cartridge retaining cap.

If you look on the Dell _printer_ you will see a slanting cutoff
of the right rear corner and a corresponding _angled_ tab inside
the retaining cap. (On the black cartridge the function of this
tab can be seen through a slot in the closed cover. It doesn't
seem to touch the cartridge or be providing any registration
for the nozzles.)

So: a few moment's work with a hobby knife to score, break off
and scrape away this tiny tab and your printer is ambidextrous!

This seems worth trying if the printer cost you less than £10
(after allowing the value of cables) in Dell's offer.

BTW, as others have mentioned, the supplied cartridges are 'trial'
(that should read 'a trial') and don't have much (any?) ink in.
Jettec ink has been recommended. (Jettec ink and cartridges are in a
BOGOF at my local Wilkinsons but stocks are fluctuating - you can't
GOF if they only have one :-( I didn't see any Jettec Z600 series
cartridges at all, but the ink refill kits seem to have been selling
and being restocked.)

I used the black and it worked ok, though I'm not convinced that
Jettec have the surface tension quite right, so don't overfill
- you can always add some more later. My cartridge dribbled a bit
until I ran off several test pages.

To print a test page hold down the printer power button while you
power on at the MAINS socket. Kill the power to stop it. You don't
need to have the printer connected to a computer.

A correct test page should have a black nozzle test in a bordered
table and full-width stripes of black and colour.

If the table borders or the stripes don't print fully the cartridge
may be drying out - refill it NOW before you burn out the nozzles!

If you don't print colour much, you might prolong the life of the
colour cartridge by re-sealing the nozzles (you did keep the tape,
didn't you?) it and wrapping it in a sandwich bag but it will
probably dry up and die eventually if it isn't used regularly and
refilled as needed. I suppose a few drops of cartridge flush might
extend the life of an under-used cartridge - after all, it must be
copmatible with the inks since you can't get it all out after a
flush, but I haven't tried this.

Len Warner
---