Re: Flash Inspiron 3800 BIOS Without Battery Installed

Bill Joy

Oct 15, 2004, 8:47:10 PM10/15/04
I don't know if this is a just a safety measure, or is not even possible.

I have heard of a /forceit option when executing the flash. Another option
I have seen is /jabil when forcing it to flash when it thinks it has an
incompatible BIOS update -- maybe try it if the other option does not work?

Since these batteries are available on eBay for only $40-50, it is probably
not worth the risk of damaging your system.

"Christopher Muto" <mu...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> does anyone know of a way to flash the bios on an inspiron 3800 that does
> not have a battery? the packaged and unpackaged versions of the flash
> bios
> utility halt when they find that no battery is installed. and there does
> not seem to be any command line switches to use with the unpackaged
> utility.
> any workaround would be greatly appreciated.
> thank you.

David Casey

Oct 15, 2004, 12:17:15 PM10/15/04
On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 16:07:42 GMT, Christopher Muto wrote in

> does anyone know of a way to flash the bios on an inspiron 3800 that does
> not have a battery? the packaged and unpackaged versions of the flash bios
> utility halt when they find that no battery is installed. and there does
> not seem to be any command line switches to use with the unpackaged utility.
> any workaround would be greatly appreciated.

It's probably a safety "feature" on your laptop to ensure there is a steady
supply of power while you do the BIOS flash. Did you lose the battery?

Dave
US Army Signal Corps!!

http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!